Marksmanship / Sharpshooter Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Marksmanship and Sharpshooter Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

I don't know how feasible this would be to implement, but making ambush somewhat like a straight line aoe ability like dual saber throw would be kinda cool as a tactical item. Surely a shot that hits someone so hard in the head would go through them and have collateral damage to other things in the line of fire. Perhaps making it so that all other targets that aren't the primary target selected get hit with reduced damage. Edited by shyroman

A set bonus could be that all mainhand crits (to avoid differences between snipers and slingers) reduce the cooldown of sniper volley by X seconds. This would make the rotation feel very new and different while also keeping the core identity of the spec the same. Maybe in addition to that, getting a crit with penetrating blasts reduces the cooldown of laze target by X seconds. Those 2 in combination with each other would create an interesting multiplier to themselves. More crits equals more sniper volley which equals more penetrating blasts which equals more laze targets which equals more crits. Edited by shyroman

Orbital strike:

(Decimate) Orbital strike deals "X" times damage when used against a single target.

(Irradiate) Orbital strike's area of effect is 50% larger and irradiates enemies caught in the blast, dealing "X" damage over 12 seconds.

(Charged strike) Orbital strike now has 6 blasts that deal 1.5 x damage. Ability CD is increased.

(Kill Beam) Orbital strike becomes a channeled ability dealing X damage each second for for 6 seconds.

Note: To give effective feedback, we need to know how much the team can alter existing animations (like Kill Beam, which would be a constant - "Kolto Strike" animation instead of several blasts).

Tactical Item: Engineering Discipline

Explosive probe:

(Shockwave) Explosive Probe receives a (15/20?)-meter blast radius. Damage dealt increases further from the center.

(Shrapnel) Explosive Probe places a bleed on its target, dealing X damage for X seconds.

(MIRV) Upon exploding, Explosive Probe releases three secondary grenades in X radius, dealing X damage and releasing 2 additional grenades each.

(Timebomb) Explosive Probe detonates after 10 seconds, dealing massive damage to the target and all enemies within 5 meters.

Remember that there are different threads for all the different specs, might want to move this over to the engineering thread. At least for the spec specific suggestions.

Edited by shyroman

I dont think I have enough information about these Tactical Items yet to really suggest anything properly but Im hoping for crazy stuff like droid slicing, rocket launchers, stealth generators, dathamyr witch amulets with force powers, light sabers (and blasters for jedis), heals, shields for off tanking, teleportation devices, proton packs, orbital strikes and orbital support like on makeb, or a second companion like that droid in fps or like that scavenged blue med droid in mando raiders, I really like that blue med droid.

Im expecting something underwhelming like faster travel or another ability refresh. maybe at best finally a slow or root ability everyone cant just cleanse through.

Edited by Monumenta

I'd like to see a scope type item/bonus that increases the range of rifle attacks the longer you stay in cover. For example you could get additional range per stack of stealth detection built up. Maybe even a clicky that works in a way similar to macrobinoculars so you would trade your field of vision and mobility for extra range on certain aimed attacks (snipe/ambush/followthrough/takedown but not grenades, darts or basic rifle shots etc).

I'd like to see a scope type item/bonus ......

I would too. I know will sound OP, but Musco did say we should go crazy and that the team could balance it out.

So, I propose a scoping tactical item that allows Marksman/Sharpshooters (or any sniper really) the ability to scope out like a GSF gunship/or the Macobinoculars to just hit a target at extreme range. The sniper/slinger would have to actually score a hit on a target as the GSF gunship does. I think the sniper would then feel like an actual sniper. I also think this would add more tactical complexity to fights . Both sides would have snipers/gunslingers with this ability to even out pvp play (in theory, barring matchup mixtures), AND of course you know the devs would implement interesting enemies to fight against in pve.

• 2 weeks later...

Tactical Items:

Whenever Ambush hits a target affected by your Corrosive Dart, a chemical reaction occurs causing an explosion that damages all enemies within 8m of the primary target for the amount Corrosive Dart deals over its duration. (lets say Corrosive Dart is 10k damage over the course of the duration. Hitting a target, with Ambush, affected by Corrosive Dart would cause all enemies withing 8m to take 10k damage since it basically does all the DoT damage immediately. It can also crit. This makes MM AoE more than just Suppressive Fire spam with basic attack thrown in to prevent running out of resource).

All critical damage is increased by X% and all non-critical damage is decreased by Y%.

Using Sniper Volley increases the critical chance of Followthrough by 100%. In addition, Every time Followthrough critically hits a target, the cooldown of Sniper Volley is reduced by X seconds. (Makes Sniper Volley far more useful than just resetting the cooldown on Penetrating Rounds and easing energy management momentarily. While the alacrity boost provided is nice, it's underwhelming since alacrity works in thresholds in regard to the GCD making it extremely underwhelming)

Snipe no longer has a cast time. (maybe broken in PvP, but a much better alternative to the Calculated Pursuit utility since there is no cooldown. Maybe even give this 30% DR while stunned because why not...)

Set Bonus:

2pc: Dealing main hand (or else Gunslinger would benefit far more than Sniper) critical damage while Target Acquired is active reduced the cooldown of Target Acquired by X seconds. Can only occur once every GCD. In addition, activating Target Acquired immediately restores X energy (maybe leave it at 15 like it currently is with the current 4pc or raise it slightly to 20 if a new rotational ability is introduced - It was said all classes are getting new abilities I just don't know if their going to be rotational abilities provided in the skill tree - as I can't know how much resource it would consume).

4pc: Dealing damage with Ambush lowers the cooldown of Laze Target by X seconds. (I think 5 seconds is what would be needed to lower the cooldown by half essentially making this grant as many auto crits as the current 6pc does)

6pc: During Sniper Volley, the critical damage of Penetrating Rounds (and Followthrough - not sure if this should be included as well, but it goes really well with a Tactical Item I proposed) is increased by X%. (maybe like 15% or something. Allows for very controlled burst windows which is always awesome and appreciated in both PvE and PvP)

Edited by SpleneticGamer

Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

MARKSMANSHIP/SHARPSHOOTER

Tactical Suggestions:

• Ambush is now a cleave, similar to Nahut’s Rail Gun.
    • Functions similar to dual saber throw
    • 35m centered on a target, hitting everything between you and the target and past that target in a 35m line.
    • Non primary targets do not benefit from armor penetration

[*]Ambush grants Finish the Job regardless of health. Takedown is now useable on targets regardless of health

Set Bonus:

• 2 set - increase crit % while using target acquired (similar to explosive fuel but a much lower percent increase)
  • 4 set - Increase duration of Sniper Volley by 5s
  • 6 set - Penetrating Blasts and Series of Shots reduces the cooldown of Laze Target by 12 seconds.

Tactical Gear Suggestions:

- Landing shots from Penetrating Rounds on a target affected by Vital Shot grants a stack of Buff Name Here. At 5 stacks, Aimed Shot consumes all 5 stacks of said buff, causing Aimed Shot to deal AOE damage around the target for 30% damage and causing the targets to burn for medium amount of damage over 5 seconds.

- Shots from Penetrating Rounds now ricochet to targets nearby the primary target, dealing 50% then 40% then 30% damage. Damage decreases per bounce.

- You have increased range on all attacks (~45m)

I feel like Marksman and Sharpshooter should be the go to discipline for staying way back and taking out enemies. A Sniper should FEEL like a sniper.

- Ambush interrupts and knocks down targets farther than 15m away.

- Flashbang is now a stasis charge and has its cooldown reduced to 45s. When hit by Aimed Shot, Penetrating Rounds, or Charged Burst, the target is slowed heavily and is knocked back 15 meters.

- Aimed Shot now has a 2.5s-3s cast time, but hits for 30% more damage.

- When a target is crit by Aimed Shot, their fortitude is shattered, causing them gain stacks of Smuggler's Misfortune. Smuggler's Misfortune reduces the target's armor by 1% per stack and is stacked every time the target takes damage from Penetrating Rounds or Aimed Shot. Can stack up to 15 times and lasts 30 seconds.

• 3 weeks later...
Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

MARKSMANSHIP/SHARPSHOOTER

Tactical Suggestions:

• Ambush is now a cleave, similar to Nahut’s Rail Gun.
    • Functions similar to dual saber throw
    • 35m centered on a target, hitting everything between you and the target and past that target in a 35m line.
    • Non primary targets do not benefit from armor penetration

PvE only, I hope? Considering the short CD it has, it would simply be broken in PvP.

Sneaky/Stealthy Sniper gameplay

MM snipers no longer have to channel ambush.

When in cover they are cloaked until they do dmg or get are hit.

MM snipers get a smoke grenade that when thrown, displays thick gray smoke that enemies see but not your teamates.

Ambush no longer displays a reticle on the enemy target (so the enemy does not know they are going to get hit)

Diversion range is increased to 30 meters

Ballistic shield is increased to 30 meters

Ballisitic shield now deploys smoke grenades that makes it difficult for the enemies to see their targets.

Orbitial Strike is no longer channeled

Cover pulse now stuns all enemies instead of knocking them back.

Covered escape can be used twice in a row.

Edited by Delani

• 3 weeks later...

Some effects which I think could be cool:

- (While in cover,) increases the range of your attacks by 5 meters.

- Attacks from cover to targets at more than 30 meters range have an additional 10% chance to critically strike.

- While in cover, gain 1% alacrity every second, stacking up to 10 times. Stacks are lost upon leaving cover.

- Snipe (critical hits) applies a stack to the target which increases critical damage to that target by 3%. Stacks up to 5 times. Stacks are lost when Snipe hits a different target.

- Attacks that critically strike reduce the cooldown of Sniper Volley by 1 second.

- Attacks that consume 'Laze Target' have their damage increased by (a portion of) your critical hit chance.

- Laze Target has 2 charges and attacks that critically strike reduce the cooldown of Laze Target by 2 second. Additionally Laze Target now affects any Sniper Rifle ability (Anipe, Takedown, Series of Shots etc, but not Orbital Srike, Frag Grenade, Corrosive Dart etc)

- The first attack while 'Target Acquired' is active places a debuff on that target. Additional attacks to that target increase the duration of 'Target Acquired' by 2 seconds, up to a maximum of 20 seconds.

• 3 months later...