Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Distance Damage for Damage over Time (DoT) Characters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Distance Damage for Damage over Time (DoT) Characters

Lhancelot
06.29.2019 , 07:50 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
1, Race cars have increased speed over time, as science has developed, they got bigger, faster and could travel further.

2. the science in this game is based on waaaaay more advanced science than what we have, so subcribing our limitations on thier science is absurd. Just like a cave man could not envision what we can today, chances are we can't envision what they can in thier world.

3, it's a game, games make stuff up. games fit things.

4. I'm not entirely sure the devs or coders actually play this game, if they did, i'm sure most of the bugs or stuff that annoys the players would never have gotten on to a live server. And long time subs aren't brown noses, most long time subs stay because it's a star wars MMO, they enjoy, and it's all we have
Just watch out for your caveman analogies!

You did great navigating within the rules of the forums I give you credit there!

My analogy directly linked the individual I responded to, and I was hit with a warning because they or someone was offended I referred to a specific person as the caveman in my analogy.

Good points though, I always find it funny when people begin to compare real science and reality to fictitious games built around so many unreal things and unreal sciences.

If we go down this rabbit hole we can literally pick the entire game apart.

There is an element of artistic freedom on the behalf of the developers and game creators who have decided just how much reality they want to insert into their very unreal game world.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

Joonbeams
06.29.2019 , 05:48 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Amunra-amunray View Post
It makes perfect sense if you study actual science in school. Do to resisitance, distance, friction etc speed and strength of that speed is reduced over the length of the distance test. For instance a Race car for years they have tried to get them faster and travel longer based on certain factors but we are still bound by the rulers of science...

It may not make sense entirely to all, but it does make sense...
This is what happens when you almost understand something, but where almost doesn't count.

Your OP is a bit confusing, but your later posts kinda help clarify what I think you're trying to argue for. Originally, I assumed you wanted a damage nerf. Others did too, and this is why ppl have pointed out that the damage itself for a DoT wouldn't be nerfed by distance for a DoT (using 'science' and of course un-suspending the disbelief we all have when dealing with the SW universe in general where humans can become invisible and stuff). No matter the range, if someone was hit by a DoT of fire, poison, etc. in theory it could do the same damage if that strike was from 100cm or 100m. It may be true that the potency is decreased by distance (for example if part of the damage is the kinetic force of the initial hit itself)--I grant that--but it need not be true (see "almost" point above).

So what it appears you're arguing for is an "accuracy" nerf with a distance buff. That would make more sense with your 'science' since we'd certainly expect the accuracy of a strike to diminish with distance (again, I'm noting the absurdity of applying 'science' to the SW gaming universe at all). The same problems I raised earlier persist though. These DoT classes would be OP, especially melee classes. In PvP, they'd be able to hit and keep at distance to avoid any counters. This is why melee DoTs are capped at 30m, and many abilities at 10m.

Even with accuracy dropping to, say, 30% but at a much greater distance (e.g. 60m), a rather average PvPer like me would be extremely lethal and also probably unkillable. It's also worth pointing out that mathematically, nerfing accuracy with 100% damage vs. nerfing damage with 100% accuracy can be made to achieve the same result (again, reinforcing the "almost" point above), so giving any boost to range will be purely a net buff with no real downside at all....

Amunra-amunray
07.10.2019 , 03:11 PM | #23
Most things that advance great gameplay take time to iron out....

Quote: Originally Posted by Joonbeams View Post
This is what happens when you almost understand something, but where almost doesn't count.

Your OP is a bit confusing, but your later posts kinda help clarify what I think you're trying to argue for. Originally, I assumed you wanted a damage nerf. Others did too, and this is why ppl have pointed out that the damage itself for a DoT wouldn't be nerfed by distance for a DoT (using 'science' and of course un-suspending the disbelief we all have when dealing with the SW universe in general where humans can become invisible and stuff). No matter the range, if someone was hit by a DoT of fire, poison, etc. in theory it could do the same damage if that strike was from 100cm or 100m. It may be true that the potency is decreased by distance (for example if part of the damage is the kinetic force of the initial hit itself)--I grant that--but it need not be true (see "almost" point above).

So what it appears you're arguing for is an "accuracy" nerf with a distance buff. That would make more sense with your 'science' since we'd certainly expect the accuracy of a strike to diminish with distance (again, I'm noting the absurdity of applying 'science' to the SW gaming universe at all). The same problems I raised earlier persist though. These DoT classes would be OP, especially melee classes. In PvP, they'd be able to hit and keep at distance to avoid any counters. This is why melee DoTs are capped at 30m, and many abilities at 10m.

Even with accuracy dropping to, say, 30% but at a much greater distance (e.g. 60m), a rather average PvPer like me would be extremely lethal and also probably unkillable. It's also worth pointing out that mathematically, nerfing accuracy with 100% damage vs. nerfing damage with 100% accuracy can be made to achieve the same result (again, reinforcing the "almost" point above), so giving any boost to range will be purely a net buff with no real downside at all....
"Do the Best and Spare the Rest!" Joe Pirandello
My Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/qYLGd9