Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

That's the whole problem, the maintenance is global.

Grats you finally got it.

Server down between 11:00 and 21:00 sounds like acceptable for a EU player?

Since this is exactly what happens with extended maintenances.

Yes! 11 to 21:00 sounds perfectly acceptable *IF* that is the time when the least amount of players in EU play. Otherwise it needs to change. The problem is that we don't have any hard facts on how many play during those times to make that judgement. It is all hypothetical and based on assumptions. I can happily get involved into going after some facts and if the current EU time frame is NOT the lowest population time I'll happily stand with each of our EU brothers and sisters side by side until it is changed.

Edit: This has been a great way to spend time while crafting and I give thanks!

Edited by xworndownx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! 11 to 21:00 sounds perfectly acceptable *IF* that is the time when the least amount of players in EU play. Otherwise it needs to change. The problem is that we don't have any hard facts on how many play during those times to make that judgement. It is all hypothetical and based on assumptions. I can happily get involved into going after some facts and if the current EU time frame is NOT the lowest population time I'll happily stand with each of our EU brothers and sisters side by side until it is changed.

I think it's a safe bet that 11 - 21 is not the lowest possible population. I'll wait for evidence, but I think we both know that's not how it is :)

COMMON SENSE.They have US downtime in the early hours ie AM. they didn't base this thru monitoring server populatin/times they did it because they know that it is the time that the least people will be playing.Why should this be any different in the EU?

COMMON SENSE.They have US downtime in the early hours ie AM. they didn't base this thru monitoring server populatin/times they did it because they know that it is the time that the least people will be playing.Why should this be any different in the EU?

COMMON SENSE: According to previous posts it is determined by a GLOBAL scale of players. I really wanted facts and not something hypothetical but damn you make it difficult so here we go.

So IF: *Hypothetical*

EU has 100,000 that play during 8-5pm

US has 50,000 that play from 2-10am

That is 150k players that are affected by the downtime on a global scale.

Lets move that a bit. Remember this is on a GLOBAL scale like suggested.

Now hypothetically IF: (because we have no facts!)

EU has 150,00 that play from midnight-8am

That is 200k players that are affected by the downtime.

Now, Remember that we don't have any FACTS about how many players are playing during the downtime. But, in the above example of a GLOBAL hypothetical system it's better to shaft 150k people then it is 200k people during downtime. Actually, it's better to not have to shaft anyone but that isn't the case here. Some people are assuming, because they have no facts, that the downtime is being based solely on US low population times.

Here is a project for you: on Monday (well starting on Sunday for you) start making a screenshot of the server lists at every hour. Then you will have your 'hard facts' that you so crave. It might differ from people's educated guesses by maybe 2 hours but you will certainly note the current schedule isn't ideal.

PS. You might want to wait with the project until xmas break is over to get an accurate count.

Edited by Ealhdun

COMMON SENSE: According to previous posts it is determined by a GLOBAL scale of players. I really wanted facts and not something hypothetical but damn you make it difficult so here we go.

Now, Remember that we don't have any FACTS about how many players are playing during the downtime. But, in the above example of a GLOBAL hypothetical system it's better to shaft 150k people then it is 200k people during downtime. Actually, it's better to not have to shaft anyone but that isn't the case here. Some people are assuming, because they have no facts, that the downtime is being based solely on US low population times.

We're talking 2 maintenance schedules. We don't care about moving a single schedule around to accommodate everyone, we want 2 schedules: 1 for the Merkans, 1 for the Euros.

Edited by Keadin

No no no no no no no no no.

We're talking 2 maintenance schedules. We don't care about moving a single schedule around to accommodate everyone, we want 2 schedules: 1 for the Merkans, 1 for the Euros.

Don't tell me he didn't get that :rolleyes:

Edited by TheHauntingBard

No no no no no no no no no.

This ..it really is that simple.

I was asked that before and my reply was 'does EU really, really want the US players invading their server and raising the queue lines during maint? You do realize that by the US simply making alts would off balance how many players on each server were actually playing on a daily basis. The same would happen when EU plays on US servers. Since this is considered a "prime time" play time for EU I suspect it would affect EU more than US with queue lines.

Then you get the posts along the lines of "Stupid Americans invading our servers during their downtime increases queue!!!" "5hr queue during US downtime! BW FIX!" Then, that leads to topics asking BW to separate the clients so that US can't join EU and visa-verse and then the list goes on with those that were in US loosing all the work they put into their character on an EU server and visa-verse. How does BW fix the lost characters? Well, then they will have to develop a system to move all the players to a different server.

In the long run it's more problematic than it's worth.

Ok to put it simply, maintenance hours as they are now is mostly perfect for the Americans, very few of those affected would ACTUALLY create a character on EU servers JUSt to play during the maintenance that is just 1 day out of 7 for a few hours. If they wanna do that feel free, we have tha capacity for those few thousand or even tens of thousands of players without a shadow of a doubt. We do have more than one EU server. So feel free and join us.

It's being based on TOTAL population of course, but the bi-product of that is that the EU are getting shafted. Now, although I have no facts to show that there are less players in the small hours than during the day, we can use some circumstantial evidence to support that theory. Almost every other MMO that has a separate maintenance schedule for EU regions, performs these tasks when the majority of people are sleeping.

The point is here of course, is that nobody needs to get shafted because the maintenance can be scheduled for the same time for each region by having two separate maintenance periods. Other games do it, why does BioWare insist on being different?

Edited by Mandrax

Ok to put it simply, maintenance hours as they are now is mostly perfect for the Americans, very few of those affected would ACTUALLY create a character on EU servers JUSt to play during the maintenance that is just 1 day out of 7 for a few hours. If they wanna do that feel free, we have tha capacity for those few thousand or even tens of thousands of players without a shadow of a doubt. We do have more than one EU server. So feel free and join us.

Good to hear that some are ok with that and it is a start in the right direction. Though at this time I'm now getting conflicting reports that some people in EU are ok with the time slot that maintenance happens but they would just like it to be on a different day. Though the OP was suggesting that it was the time slot that the current schedule was taking place on was not off peak-hours. So, some people need to get what they want straight before anything else.

I mean if most EU wanted it on a different day then well that is a different story but if it is the time slot that most don't like then I stick to my previous post.

It's being based on TOTAL population of course, but the bi-product of that is that the EU are getting shafted. Now, although I have no facts to show that there are less players in the small hours than during the day, we can use some circumstantial evidence to support that theory. Almost every other MMO that has a separate maintenance schedule for EU regions, performs these tasks when the majority of people are sleeping.

The point is here of course, is that nobody needs to get shafted because the maintenance can be scheduled for the same time for each region by having two separate maintenance periods. Other games do it, why does BioWare insist on being different?

Come on now just stop it.That's just common sense:)

Good to hear that some are ok with that and it is a start in the right direction. Though at this time I'm now getting conflicting reports that some people in EU are ok with the time slot that maintenance happens but they would just like it to be on a different day. Though the OP was suggesting that it was the time slot that the current schedule was taking place on was not off peak-hours. So, some people need to get what they want straight before anything else.

I mean if most EU wanted it on a different day then well that is a different story but if it is the time slot that most don't like then I stick to my previous post.

It IS the time slot people are not happy with. Read this thread, read the other thread of over 100 pages, read all the other threads that pop up about this topic, they all say pretty much the same thing, the time slot chosen is terrible.

You have to realise, for some people in Europe the maintenance doesn't finish until 8pm, and if it overruns, then it starts to get silly. Is that acceptable? Would you accept that if it was you in that position? Do you think it's fair that a large chunk of the day is lost due to maintenance whereas another part of the world has it done whilst they are sleeping?

Edited by Mandrax

I agree here, no one needs to get shafted but that is impossible. Which is very unfortunate and someone will get shafted anyways and that needs to be kept to the lowest possible number of people. Until we have facts about how many players actually play during what time-slot we don't know if BioWare is doing the right thing or not. It very well could be that there are less people playing during the 8-5 slot then any other time. We don't know because we don't have facts. As previously mentioned if the current time slot allocated for updates is not the low-pop times then I'll happily ask that BW/EA changes is right along with everyone else.

You do understand that we are asking for seperate down time? AM for the US, AM for EU the day makes no difference at all to the MAJORITY of EU players if it's 3AM.

I agree here, no one needs to get shafted but that is impossible. Which is very unfortunate and someone will get shafted anyways and that needs to be kept to the lowest possible number of people. Until we have facts about how many players actually play during what time-slot we don't know if BioWare is doing the right thing or not. It very well could be that there are less people playing during the 8-5 slot then any other time. We don't know because we don't have facts. As previously mentioned if the current time slot allocated for updates is not the low-pop times then I'll happily ask that BW/EA changes is right along with everyone else.

As I've said, you only need to look at all the other MMOs that have separate maintenance schedules for EU, all that I can think of perform maintenance through the night. I think it's obvious when the quietest period is.

BioWare aren't going to share facts, they are already trying to say that the current slot they have is one of their quietest times, when actually they have not had the time to do any research into this as it's a brand new game. So don't hold your breath for them to share anything that supports their claim, they are not going to do that.

There is enough circumstantial evidence from other MMO maintenance times which shows when the quietest periods are, and it most certainly is not at the times BioWare are stating. We are not stupid, many of us have been around MMOs for a VERY long time.

Edited by Mandrax

I'll ask you again..why would the EU have more playing in the early hours AM than the US.You keep saying they have no facts of server population times for the EU.Why then have they decided that the US least populated time is in the AM and the EU is during the day?What have they based this on?again i will point out that we are asking for 2 SEPERATE down times.I can go to my city at 3PM and it is crowded,i go there at 3AM and it is a ghost town i wonder why...most people are in bed sleeping maybe?

It IS the time slot people are not happy with. Read this thread, read the other thread of over 100 pages, read all the other threads that pop up about this topic, they all say pretty much the same thing, the time slot chosen is terrible.

You have to realise, for some people in Europe the maintenance doesn't finish until 8pm, and if it overruns, then it starts to get silly. Is that acceptable? Would you accept that if it was you in that position? Do you think it's fair that a large chunk of the day is lost due to maintenance whereas another part of the world has it done whilst they are sleeping?

What's said on the forums is irrelevant. The forums are only maybe 5% tops of the overall population base so just because there are a handful of whiners here doesn't speak for the rest of the player base.

As I've said, you only need to look at all the other MMOs that have separate maintenance schedules for EU, all that I can think of perform maintenance through the night. I think it's obvious when the quietest period is.

BioWare aren't going to share facts, they are already trying to say that the current slot they have is one of their quietest times, when actually they have not had the time to do any research into this as it's a brand new game. So don't hold your breath for them to share anything that supports their claim, they are not going to do that.

There is enough circumstantial evidence from other MMO maintenance times which shows when the quietest periods are, and it most certainly is not at the times BioWare are stating. We are not stupid, many of us have been around MMOs for a VERY long time.

I couldn't agree more. The claim BioWare makes is ridiculous and so blatantly pro-American that it's just silly to see them come up with a silly story to explain it away.

If the daytime is truly when fewest people play, do it during the American day, so that the American engineers working on the American servers get the regular American daytime wages instead of a higher nighttime pay. But it's clearly not about money, as evidenced by the choice to do the maintenance during a more expensive time period, namely the night, when employees cost more than during office hours.

And as was said countless times before, every MMO does its maintenance at night, regardless of the server's locations. Are all those companies daft, and is BioWare the only one who sees the truly golden way to do business by doing it the way they're doing it?

Of course not, BioWare is being stupid. And by offering a service (server access in this case) that is inferior to that of other MMOs by taking away 1 day per week from the European playerbase, they're not only creating an extremely difficult environment for TOR to pick up speed and flourish, they're also wrecking what reputation BioWare has left.