Do you support an in game version of Recount. Please give reasons for your answer.

Israel

I would love an in game Recount. The current combat log is complicated to use and I want something that works on the fly so I can test different rotations and different skills. Knowledge is a good thing, and the more we know about how we work the better. There will always be jerks who use this info to be mean to others, but that happens with or without Recount. We shouldn't keep something useful off the table just to work around those people!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone would like to help test a real-time, server-driven recount style parser, you can contact me on here or you can send me an in game mail - there are screen shots here:

http://nottheguild.com/images/swtor-combat-parser.png

http://nottheguild.com/images/swtor-combat-parser-options.jpg

The way it works is pretty simple. Similarly to ventrilo, the data goes through a server and is served to everyone in real time. No accounts or anything - just like IRC chat. Basically just sends your log data and broadcasts to others.

• 3 months later...

DPS Meters or Addon allowance should be implemented into SWTOR.

Being an guildmaster of a raid guild, it would be lovely to know how the guild is progressing individually and what we need to improve on. Its not a bullying tool to sit there and make people hit over certain limits or instant kick. Its there for people to keep track of their own DPS /HPS/TPS so they can improve themselves as a player.

With a DPS meter missing, I think its causing a loss of self achievement in this game, and i think some of the population that disappeared is due to the fact, we don't have the proper/easy features to use for improving as players.

People that use a meter in Pugs, well shouldn't be leading the pug in the first place. Pugs are not for progression, its for new/casual players to gear up at their expense. And they shouldn't be attempting any material that their gear isn't capable of handling.

I think DPS meter will making guild raids, more easier, more interesting, more competitive. And create a way for it to improve players and guilds throughout.

I'm all for it and if it doesn't get implemented, you will lose me and a full guild of customers, cause I ain't interested in guessing games. Sorry, but its really frustrating wasting time on things that can't be sorted properly without clear information. Its just data at the end of the day.

Lets be honest, ALOT of people are comparing this game to WoW, which has been around for years and had those years to add some much content, but its still a competition you need to be scared of. Why would you not add a feature that has been so successful in another game that has been top of the market for years, it makes no sense to me.

I'm not having a go at Bioware or anything. This is my opinion and expectation of a MMO of this day and age, and MMO's have a set standard if you want to be top market these days. Just the way the world works.

Edited by Gellies

Sorry if this has been said already, but I'm not going through 1k+ replies

The easiest way to do this is make it to where if you want your data broadcasted, check a second box in addition to the one you already have to press for enabling the logging.

In this way, it puts your data on whoever else has that box checked, and vice versa. We already basically have to do this by every individual person uploading combat logs. In this way it makes it easier and not everyone has to be on a parser or upload their logs if they don't want to. I don't really need an in game DPS meter, I'm fine with parsing outside of the game. But having everyone upload their own logs or be on the same parser is just annoying.

• 7 months later...

I have played on teams my entire life. Baseball, Football in college, and raided for the last 6 years in MMO's. It is ridiculous to me to a game of this stature to not have the "Recount" support to be able to compare yourself to others.

Competition is what drives games like this. Be better, push harder, push farther faster then the next guy. Most people that play these games strive for this. It is in the human nature to be better then the next guy.. It is the natural order of things.

I personally try to maximize every aspect of my toons and want them to be at the top of their game, and be able to compare that ability to others doing the same thing. Was I always the greatest, no. But I could make sure that I am helping my team by doing my job within the Ops, yes.

How can anyone even test themselves or push themselves to be better if they don't know how well they are doing? I recently hit 50 on my first toon in this game. Now that I am 50, I really have no desire to play her anymore because there is no endgame for her. 50 is the top of the mountain, and I am there. What now?? I personally need the competition to keep me interested in progressing any further or even subscribing to the game because without the driving competition, there really is no place else to go.

As limited as the instance and Ops that are in this game are, add an recount can only make those who do compete in these realms come back for more. That is what the real question is. Will this make the game for money? The answer is yes.

Competitions drive markets and player that play for story will always do so. This game isn't built for the multi-player aspects though. +2 and +4 are barely ran when you get to 20-50. Giving the ability for those that want to compare themselves with a recount would only enhance the game for those that actually spend money on it. If you have read any of the chats from any of the realms, there is enough F2P hate to go around that adding a recount wouldn't hurt. I would love to see how many F2P accounts beat subs in 4 man's, but alas, we will never know...

Yes please! I hate mods (addons) and I completely agree with SWTOR not supporting them. For the most part, the UI is sufficient enough for me not to miss any mods. The big exception to this is a recount style feature.

I think I would have gotten bored and quit the game if PvP didn't have a scoreboard at the end.

Edited by Antipodes

You do realize, that there is a MOX-parser for SWTOR for many months already and so an in-game recount would just be redundant ?

That way, everyone who wants to use it, can do so and anyone, who does not want to use it, isn't forced to do so. Sounds like a perfect way to me.

Edited by JPryde

• 1 month later...
I did a search for meters when my raid leader suggested we check our rotations this evening. Personally I do not believe in the use of any temptation to turn a fun game into a reason to alienate people. I would like to be able to use a meter as a tool to maximize my game and be certain I am doing everything I can to contribute to our group. I have an ops dummy on my ship, perhaps coupled with a meter this could become the tool I would like it to be.

I'm torn when it comes to damage meters ingame.

On one hand I do like to be able to see my performance doing a run and test various rotation changes on a dummy. On the other hand I do enjoy a FP/Op more when not focusing on who is doing the most, but rather focus and have fun.

The problem is when something goes wrong and you need some indication of what it was. Besides the obvious like someone is way undergeared etc (be that DPS, healer or tank).

What they should do is implement a scoreboard (like in PvP) after each boss fight (or if you get killed) and make it optional. Like a new minimap icon where you get the parse (Total damage, Damage over Time, Total Healing etc - just like Recount with all the information). That way nobody can use it on trash to boost their "ego" and everyone can see who is not pulling their weight. We could take it a step futher and only make it available to the group leader, but I'd rather have the info for all to see.

Idiots will always be idiots. There is no way to make a perfect system with those guys in mind. But a normal group of players would be able to increase their effectiveness and locate the problem.

if seen it in wow played a tank there so it didnt effect me much but if seen dps getting a ego boost from it that it screws up the fun in runs.

ppl getting kicked from grps cause there dps wssnt high enough ( content didnt need top notch dps )

And it can screw up the run cause the dps wants to push so hard that they stop haveing raid awareness and causing wipes cause there just getting to focussed on the numbers.

I dont wanna know how a simple fp is gonna be cause dps is getting itchy to push jumping in before tanks ( what alrdy happens now ) but then prob even more, killing orders scrwd up cause you see more numbers on a elite so hes 1st target instead of the weaks

Edited by NrDLeipe

• 8 months later...
Can we just have a poll instead and settle it that way?

Polls are misleading for the simple fact that only a small portion of the player population even reads the forums.

Besides MOX and TORParse work fine for after-the-fact analysis which all anyone should ever need.

And BTW, holy necro :)

Polls are misleading for the simple fact that only a small portion of the player population even reads the forums.

Besides MOX and TORParse work fine for after-the-fact analysis which all anyone should ever need.

And BTW, holy necro :)

You've obviously never led a progression raid where you are trying to figure out mechanics as you go. Those tools are not good enough but that's beside the point. If those tools fulfill a necessary function then the game is deficient by not having that as part of it. If they aren't necessary then why bring them up? Why not just say it isn't needed? Either it's needed and the game is deficient or it's not needed and the functionality that those tools provide should be turned off. It's kind of that simple.

You've obviously never led a progression raid where you are trying to figure out mechanics as you go. Those tools are not good enough but that's beside the point. If those tools fulfill a necessary function then the game is deficient by not having that as part of it. If they aren't necessary then why bring them up? Why not just say it isn't needed? Either it's needed and the game is deficient or it's not needed and the functionality that those tools provide should be turned off. It's kind of that simple.

Does the game "need" mounts? No. Does the game "need" legacy gear? No.

Some people wanted to be able to see numbers to gauge their DPS and so BW implemented combat logs. That does not mean combat logs are "needed". With the current combat logs and third party parsers, you can even have real time information. We do NOT "need" an in game "recount".

I find that although recount can be a useful tool, it is seldom used as such. More often than not, it is simply used by jerks to stroke their e-peens by spamming it to the group, but only if they were top DPS that fight.