Legacy Species Unlock; Server or Account Wide

RandomState

I was just wondering with the legacy species unlock system, if I play say a Chiss Imperial Agent to level 50 on one server can I create a Chiss Jedi Knight on any server or just the server on which the level 50 agent resides? Edited by RandomState

I was just wondering with the legacy species unlock system, if I play say a Chiss Imperial Agent to level 50 on one server can I create a Chiss Jedi Knight on any server or just the server on which the level 50 agent resides?

server side

Edited by Kissakias

Which means, whenever they come out with server transfers, you'll have to take that rule into account.

When/if those occur, the most likely scenario is being able to transfer a character of an unlocked species, but it wouldn't be unlocked on the other server (due to a new legacy being created). Unless, of course, the aforementioned character is level 50, thus unlocking that species for the new legacy.

Your legacy is your presence on the server. It isn't tied to your characters.

I think if you make a transfer from a legacy unlocked server to another, i think the legacy should go with you, otherwise, someone that might have a maxed out legacy, needing to transfer for some reason, will lose all that work.

Nah, i am thinking in that event the legacy would transfer with the character, especially if no other characters are left behind, otherwise, the customers get severely shafted.

Which still begs the question if it's account wide or only one the server, since the server restriction would be negated by a character transfer, thus it seems to make more sense to be account based.

It is still bound by the legacy specific to your server. In the above speculation situation, if character transfers were to exist, they would not be locking (or would be foolish if they were to lock) legacy species characters to a specific server.

Once you transfer a character, thus creating a new legacy, a level 50 of a species, legacy or not, should unlock that species on the new server. But that doesn't mean that an unlock is not server-specific, as the requirements are still fulfilled on the new server.

It is still bound by the legacy specific to your server. In the above speculation situation, if character transfers were to exist, they would not be locking (or would be foolish if they were to lock) legacy species characters to a specific server.

Once you transfer a character, thus creating a new legacy, a level 50 of a species, legacy or not, should unlock that species on the new server. But that doesn't mean that an unlock is not server-specific, as the requirements are still fulfilled on the new server.

This is one big reason Server Transfers are going to take a while to code and will probably be a fee based manual process. Just think of all the name conflicts that can result. I wouldn't want to be the person in charge of coding this. Seems like automating it will be difficult and really needs to be a batch process run during the maintenance window.

Edited by Owsley

This is one big reason Server Transfers are going to take a while to code and will probably be a fee based manual process. Just think of all the name conflicts that can result. I wouldn't want to be the person in charge of coding this. Seems like automating it will be difficult and really needs to be a batch process run during the maintenance window.
Handling name conflicts with transfers would be no more difficult than when making new characters (or legacies). You just get a prompt saying your character name (or legacy name) is already in use, and you need to pick a different one.

they could probably add the two legacy levels together, so a level 5 legacy on one server and then your level 30 legacy got transferred you would then have a level 35 legacy. at least that would make sense

they could probably add the two legacy levels together, so a level 5 legacy on one server and then your level 30 legacy got transferred you would then have a level 35 legacy. at least that would make sense

You would not be transferring your legacy. Only your character. The legacy is not tied to your characters at all, although they are tied to it.

Even if you were to delete all your characters on a server, assuming you had unlocked the legacy, it would still exist. People found that out when they tried to "reset" their legacy name on a server by deleting all their characters. Too late.

You would not be transferring your legacy. Only your character. The legacy is not tied to your characters at all, although they are tied to it.

Even if you were to delete all your characters on a server, assuming you had unlocked the legacy, it would still exist. People found that out when they tried to "reset" their legacy name on a server by deleting all their characters. Too late.

i realize that.

BUT if a player's server is dying and they transfer their characters (all of them) then the legacy should be transferred as well since the time leveling up the first legacy goes to waste. they more than likely will never return to the old server anyway.

from what i can tell the legacy levels all cost the same between one level and another so its not like they cant just add 2+5 to = 7.

a person transferring characters/legacies should have to keep the new server's legacy name if they have a legacy on each already.

i had a legacy level of about 15 on my old server, but it was underpopulated (~70-100 at peak), im now on Canderous Ordo and my legacy is at 3. so by allowing legacies to add up by transferring toons they could in essence boost my new server's legacy level to 18

But the maths probably don't work like that, and have increasing xp requirements the higher you go ... just like levelling.

For example, adding together two lvl 25 characters doesn't give you a lvl50 ... it probably only takes you in to the mid-high 30's.

But the maths probably don't work like that, and have increasing xp requirements the higher you go ... just like levelling.

For example, adding together two lvl 25 characters doesn't give you a lvl50 ... it probably only takes you in to the mid-high 30's.

every level requires 240,000 xp for an increase in legacy level plus 1000 xp for each , so it would work

*edited for correction*

Edited by Skodan

every level requires 240,000 xp for an increase in legacy level plus 1000 xp for each , so it would work

*edited for correction*

At lower levels, perhaps. The amount require to level up does increase.

Likewise, this is moot given that we're talking about character transfers, not server merges.

At lower levels, perhaps. The amount require to level up does increase.

Likewise, this is moot given that we're talking about character transfers, not server merges.

wouldnt the same thing have to happen either way?

either way they should include something that lets you transfer over a legacy and combine the efforts of both into one. with character transfers from dead/dying servers the player should have the chance to "save" his/her legacy. with server merges you are bound to have someone that has characters on 2 or more servers that each have a legacy started, which would cause problems since whose legacy does the game keep, the original server, the highest legacy, etc.