Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Rewards

Llacertus
06.06.2020 , 04:57 PM | #1
I consider myself a pretty avid pvper. A good 50% of the time I spend playing swtor, I spend pvping. I've only really returned to this game about a month and a half ago. After coming from Archeage, which is an MMO centered around high-risk high reward pvp, I found the pvp system here to be much more balanced and have much greater potential. Still I don't understand why so little attention is given to the pvp community, when it would be in the dev's best interest to revive it.
The rewards for finishing a pvp match are minuscule compared to the rewards you get for doing content in the rest of the game. For any player that valued time efficiency over fun, pvp would not be a valid option. I did a Hammer Station earlier that took maybe 8 minutes and netted 310 Tech Fragments (421 if you count what I got from disassembling the gear). Then afterwards I did a huttball match, which we lost, that gave a sum total of TEN tech fragments. Any new player seeing those numbers would have no reason to continue pvping after that first match. Doing a pvp match as any class is much harder than doing a 8 minute veteran hammer station run with a few randoms. You can be completely brain-dead and finish a hammer station run in 10 minutes. In pvp, if you a tank, you have to be constantly aware of who's getting attacked by who so you can guard swap to a healer, or set a dps as your focus target. If this logic is applied, the rewards for pvp should be at least twice as high as those for a flash-point.
I recently got in a match with a juggernaut that did 16.5 million damage in a civil war arena. Extraordinary feats such as these should be recognized with titles, costumes, decorations, and given extra rewards such as Solid Resource Matrices, or Legendary Embers. Adding the titles, costumes, and decorations would allow players to have access to more visible "bragging rights", which, in my experience, is a greater motivator than plain currency such as tech fragments or credits. Special incentives like these would help to swiftly revive the pvp community.
Swtor could become more appealing to a wider audience of players who are looking for a rewarding yet challenging pvp experience without the punishing consequences for losing present in other pvp-centered MMOs such as Archeage, or EVE online. Essentially, Bioware could generate many more subscriptions if they revamped the pvp system, as opposed to undertaking expensive projects to add more story content to the game. Just to be clear, I am not bashing on the more recent focus on Republic vs. Empire within the story-line. In my opinion, Onslaught was one of the best additions to Swtor thus far, and the team should continue their efforts. However, making a number of inexpensive adjustments to the pvp reward system, and adding in some well-designed costumes and decorations would increase player trust in the dev team, and increase the company's profits.
http://www.swtor.com/r/W8m8B7 Click for free stuff!
"The Force is all things and I am the Force"

-Last line of the Code of the Grey Jedi.

Banderal
06.06.2020 , 07:20 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Llacertus View Post
Then afterwards I did a huttball match, which we lost, that gave a sum total of TEN tech fragments.
Oh please. You get WAY more fragments than that. You get to deconstruct all the gear from the boxes that is at least 4 levels below your current iLevel. So it's not uncommon for me to get FIFTEEN frags, sometimes even TWENTY total! Of course you have to win to get all that loot. You must not be winning.

Or, in other words... IKR.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Llacertus
06.07.2020 , 02:16 AM | #3
Right?!!
I don't see any reason why the rewards for warzones are just so terrible right now. This is something that should've been fixed in an update a long time ago unless they're intentionally trying to make people stop running warzones.

DavidAtkinson
06.07.2020 , 02:59 AM | #4
The rewards for winning should be improved because as they are now, they kind of suck...

Also , when it comes to many things in this game, pvp is not the fastest way . Conquest and gearing for example.

So play your way was just good idea on paper. It never really made it into the game properly.
Darth Malgus Server
Delusional Marauder Main

Spintrec
06.07.2020 , 06:53 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Llacertus View Post
The main issue with increasing the rewards gained from PvP matches is that it would encourage players to join and AFK for the match/intentionally throw to end it faster; this was seen a few patches ago when PvErs would join ranked matches purely for the mats and couldn't care less about screwing their team over.

The fix to that goes in part with what you also said;

Quote:
I recently got in a match with a juggernaut that did 16.5 million damage in a civil war arena. Extraordinary feats such as these should be recognized with titles, costumes, decorations, and given extra rewards such as Solid Resource Matrices, or Legendary Embers. Adding the titles, costumes, and decorations would allow players to have access to more visible "bragging rights", which, in my experience, is a greater motivator than plain currency such as tech fragments or credits.
Increase the rewards gained in line with your scoreboard stats to encourage players to actually put in effort to get great rewards, and that would essentially eliminate the AFKers and throwers.

I would prefer to see higher rewards for higher objective scores to encourage players to focus more on objective play; giving the highest rewards to top damage/guard would only encourage players to deathmatch during the entire warzone, and as we have enough of that already it'd be refreshing to have competitive objective matches instead of the usual moshpits at mid.

Ofcourse high damage/guard/heals etc. stats would also give good rewards, but let objective scores give bigger amounts to encourage the objective behaviour.

There's only a couple of issues I can see with this idea; the possibility of players joining a warzone and AFKing at the sidenode, giving them big objectives but not contributing anything to the match (I'm talking about having 3 players sat AFK at the sidenode caring less about the actual warzone), and it would encourage players to reroll meta classes (ap pt, merc heal etc.) so they could easily get those high stats and great rewards, which could obviously lead to very unbalanced matches (not that they aren't already) and a lack of class diversity.

merovejec
06.07.2020 , 07:47 AM | #6
First of all I fully agree with pvp rewards not being worth it. Second I have to look at the true situation. As it was already mentioned here more rewards would promote afk players. I liked the state when we had pvp gear which was purchased with pvp coms. You could have leveled up only via pvp and when u got to max level u had enough coms to buy a full pvp set. Thise were the days.....

Even rewarding enormous point gains, its all good ideas but i know people will missuse it. They will run premades to farm other players and numbers for rewards etc. Its very hard to change something here as everything can be turned aroud by them.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Referral Link

StrikePrice
06.07.2020 , 02:44 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
First of all I fully agree with pvp rewards not being worth it. Second I have to look at the true situation. As it was already mentioned here more rewards would promote afk players. I liked the state when we had pvp gear which was purchased with pvp coms. You could have leveled up only via pvp and when u got to max level u had enough coms to buy a full pvp set. Thise were the days.....

Even rewarding enormous point gains, its all good ideas but i know people will missuse it. They will run premades to farm other players and numbers for rewards etc. Its very hard to change something here as everything can be turned aroud by them.
You reward by trophies ... 0 trophies, 0 rewards; 8 trophies, decent rewards, 15 trophies good rewards, 21 trophies excellent rewards.

darkzannah
06.07.2020 , 02:47 PM | #8
I will offer to exchange from token tech for ranked toked as in wow or or other mmo

Llacertus
06.07.2020 , 09:16 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Spintrec View Post
There's only a couple of issues I can see with this idea; the possibility of players joining a warzone and AFKing at the sidenode, giving them big objectives but not contributing anything to the match (I'm talking about having 3 players sat AFK at the sidenode caring less about the actual warzone), and it would encourage players to reroll meta classes (ap pt, merc heal etc.) so they could easily get those high stats and great rewards, which could obviously lead to very unbalanced matches (not that they aren't already) and a lack of class diversity.
One way around players re-rolling meta classes to get the best rewards would be to base the dps and healing medals around the average healing or dps by that specific class(or even better, by that specific sub-class) that is achieved in that particular warzone. That system wouldn't be perfect, but at the very least it would allow for more fair rewards.

The medals would also need to be adjusted to allow for greater rewards. For example, the worst medal which would be something like "hit player for 6k damage" should be worth 10 tech fragments. The one of the better medals could be "Achieve 10million damage in a warzone" would be worth a hundred tech frags and 2 Legendary Embers. Of course that 10million number would be adjusted for something like "Doing more damage than 70-80% of players using your class/subclass".

Quote:
Increase the rewards gained in line with your scoreboard stats to encourage players to actually put in effort to get great rewards, and that would essentially eliminate the AFKers and throwers.

I would prefer to see higher rewards for higher objective scores to encourage players to focus more on objective play; giving the highest rewards to top damage/guard would only encourage players to death-match during the entire warzone, and as we have enough of that already it'd be refreshing to have competitive objective matches instead of the usual moshpits at mid.
Personally, I like to have some good old fashion death-matches every now and then. I like to use them as markers to tell how well I'm doing, or how viable my build is. In the back of my mind, I'll remember what my highest damage was one match to try to beat it later. However, I believe part of the problem is that there are no true 8v8 death-match maps. Sometimes people get sick of playing objectively against a team that is 50% stealth classes, and its somewhat cathartic to just get into a simple 4v4 death-match.

If there were some actual 8v8 death-match maps that were performance friendly, free of the lag glitches you see in Hutt-ball, and devoid of insta-kill traps, I believe it would add enough variety that players wouldn't be so inclined to turn an objective-based warzone into a team free-for-all. The other bonus is that there would be no possible for an afker to get worthwhile rewards.