Medichlorians in SWTOR [Inquisitor Spoilers?]

NwahsNirom

Hey, I am probably late to this party, but I'm finishing my last of the eight class stories. I am on the Inquisitor.

I'm on Belsavis, and he's talking to the Rakata about the machine they used to take bodies to use as templates to create new species of aliens.

The Inquisitor says the line, quote: ""You can't modify force sensitivity biologically"

Wow. My thought is... do they not know about medichlorians in this time-era? Or is it just a statement that you can't use the Force to like awaken the medichlorians in a being, or give a being more medichlorians in any way... fascinating stuff.

Thoughts?

Generally speaking, radically altering an individual's midichlorian count is considered impossible. While the leaders of the Jedi (and possibly the Sith) may already know techniques for determining Force Sensitivity by checking midichlorian counts, the chances are that they haven't found a safe way to artificial improve them, which (if memory serves) is what the Inquisitor was getting at.

To the best of my recollection, no-one in-game even mentions midichlorians anyway.

In the old continuity, the nobles of Vjun tried to artificially enhance their midichlorian counts around fifty years or so before the Empire, and it went horribly wrong... or horribly right depending on your perspective. They managed to improve their connections to the Force, but they were all driven mad in the process.

I think the whole idea of medichlorians was more or less... forgotten, to put it lightly, outside of lore. Not a lot of people seem to like that idea of the force just being a bunch of freaking microbes that can manipulate matter and energy. I personally ditch that idea entirely for my headcanon, preferring to think the term "medichlorian" is just a unit of measure for force sensitivity in an individual.

I think the whole idea of medichlorians was more or less... forgotten, to put it lightly, outside of lore. Not a lot of people seem to like that idea of the force just being a bunch of freaking microbes that can manipulate matter and energy. I personally ditch that idea entirely for my headcanon, preferring to think the term "medichlorian" is just a unit of measure for force sensitivity in an individual.

But thats mistaken! The Force exist regardless, the midichlorians are microbes that live inside every living thing and they can make the individual sense the Force if their numbers are high enough. They are not the Force itself, they dont create the Force, they are just a channel which through the user can manipulate the Force. For some reason, they can contact the Force directly, while we cannot, thats why we need them. Probably because the Force created them to be a link (which sounds best bet, since the homeworld of the midichlorians is hidden by the Force itself). Also it's important to know that while Force sensitivity has a minimal cell count (around 4-5000), but someone with a count of 7000 can be stronger in the Force than someone with 10000, it depends on the being itself, the numbers arent upper limits.

So yes, maybe the midichlorians bring in some science and numbers but I really cant see the problem with it.

Fans of the series have for the most part been ok with pretending midichlorians don't exist.

The force is spiritual semi sentient energy, and sensitivity can be hereditary but midichlorians as an explanation? Meh.

It is true, however, that most people hate midichlorians because they have the mistaken belief that midichlorians "are" the force.