Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If Bioware made a new class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If Bioware made a new class?

Galdeus
09.04.2019 , 12:59 AM | #21
I think the reason this topic comes up so much is that SWTOR is one of the only MMO's I can think of to date that hasn't had a single new class since it's launch and we are approaching a decade since the games release. Take almost every other MMO (both F2P and Sub) that's only been out for around half as long as SWTOR has and most of them sometimes double the amount of classes this game has to offer.

Not saying I don't understand them not wanting to take on the massive undertaking that comes with creating a new class+3 skills trees+balancing, but I can see why the topic comes up so often. Just my $0.02.

Celise
09.04.2019 , 01:36 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Qouivandes View Post
Many years ago i got into a debate with a moderator at the now defunct Lucasarts Star Wars forums. The debate revolved around a new trilogy starting after episode VI. He/She was adamant that it was never going to happen and, in the end, ended up giving me a couple of weeks off from the forums to ponder how wrong I apparently was about the prospect. Of course i continued offering my thoughts whenever anyone poised the question, but eventually stopped posting there when i moved off of SWG. When i heard the announcement I immediately went back to the forums (which were still up), found the email that the moderator sent me (after spending a few months figuring out my password) and told them i looked forward to seeing them at the premier.

So, with that said, i encourage the OP to continue on with their thoughts on a new class even if it never happens there is never any harm into coming up with ideas. Who knows, the idea may be well enough that the powers that be will thing...hmm, you know, that is a good idea and will push it through.

I always thought that a good addition to the game would be the inclusion of a Sith Trooper and a Republic Regulator (BH); and a Sith smuggler and a Republic spy/sniper.
EA isn't Disney, so your example doesn't add anything.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Well, going by your logic people ought not post about anything to improve the game seeing nothing we ever ask for happens.

People post out of boredom, for fun, to express thoughts, etc. People post their ideas for other reasons other than why you post obviously.

I could point out that you posting that others shouldn't post is redundant too, seeing people will continue to post about new classes, new races, and all kinds of other things that will never happen regardless of you disproving.
and yet people don't use the search function while they are bored to find these threads. Frankly i'm not interested in the excuses you can find to not do the obvious, but when there are already threads out there about the same subject, it doesn't need yet another thread about the same subject.

Since you'll want me to prove my point with that stupid onus of proof nonsense, here:

here is one from last week:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...ighlight=class

another from one week and two days earlier:

one from a few months ago:

SteveTheCynic
09.04.2019 , 02:06 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Galdeus View Post
Not saying I don't understand them not wanting to take on the massive undertaking that comes with creating a new class+3 skills trees+balancing, but I can see why the topic comes up so often. Just my $0.02.
Don't forget that the cost is significantly more than you think:
* One new base class
* Two new advanced classes
* *Six* new Disciplines as part of the two new advanced classes
* Balancing.
* Much of the above doubled for animations, ability names, etc. because of Imp/Pub differences.
* Two new class stories with five new class companions and a new starter planet(1) and a new class ship(2) each (one Impside, one Pubside)
* Dialogue tweaks *everywhere* to account for the fact that e.g. an Imp Trooper shouldn't be called "My Lord" or "Hunter" or "Commander", but instead "Lieutenant", "Captain" etc.

Adding new advanced classes to existing base classes costs less because they can avoid building new stories / starter worlds / ships.

Adding a "Hero" class (starts at near max level) would be considered seriously lame, I think, because it would be story-deficient in a story-heavy MMORPG. Not really a good fit.

(1) Maybe. It might be possible to finagle the new class into Hutta or Korriban on the Impside, and Ord Mantell or Tython on the Pubside, but lots of the classes people ask for wouldn't fit in at least one of those. (An Imp Trooper doesn't belong on either Hutta or Korriban, for example.)

(2) Maybe. If the new class was a new type of Sith/Jedi, it's reasonable to assign it a Fury / Defender as appropriate, but that only saves on the ship design process - the layout of which companion goes where and so on would still require per-class work.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

The_Wulff
09.04.2019 , 03:13 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Jennkko View Post
I just wanted to see what people's views and ideas are if Bioware were to bring out a new class, what do you think it should be and why?
I always though they could bring back the Echani for rep and impirial guard for empire. They could be the first non force using close combat with swords and staves class.
For those of you who like going off on one saying it will never happen, it's not the point. It's just fun to throw ideas out there and see what people come up with...
For everybody being disrespectful to the OP for his thread he didn't say he was trying to get them to add a class to the game. He was just starting a conversation to see what other people think would be cool additions to the universe. (Sorry if I am wrong here but I don't think I am) The OP was just looking to start a light conversation about SWTOR with people that like SWTOR in the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum. Sure he could have necroed somebody else's thread but you all would have given him the business for reviving a dead thread.

In keeping with what I think the original intent of the thread is...

I would have loved to see a Droid class. Droids in Star Wars are arguably some of the most loved characters. K-2SO from Rouge 1, R2 and C3PO, C1-10P from Rebels, HK-47 From KOTOR, HK-55, and the list goes on. They are resourceful, intelligent, adventurous and at times even funny.

I would almost say they would have to be a ranged class to be able to accommodate different models of droid. for instance instead of picking from 4 body types it is 4 chassis types, 1 battle droid, 1 light humanoid (like C3PO) 1 sturdy humanoid body (Like K-2SO) and 1 astromech .
I don't know how you would fit them in to the game but that wasn't the point of the thread it was just asking what class you would like to see.

Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
(1) Maybe. It might be possible to finagle the new class into Hutta or Korriban on the Impside, and Ord Mantell or Tython on the Pubside, but lots of the classes people ask for wouldn't fit in at least one of those. (An Imp Trooper doesn't belong on either Hutta or Korriban, for example.)
See, I think you are wrong on this one. I think an imperial trooper on Korriban would work out great for the story of the planet. There are areas of Troopers all over the place starting with the first tomb. The mission giver said he sent in a crew that never came back from killing Klorslugs, there is that datapad in the lower wilds from a failed troop deployment. You just retcon a lone survivor (from a ton of bad deployments) into what is already there. It would even play into the concept of being guided by the force for a greater purpose.

Lhancelot
09.04.2019 , 08:20 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
EA isn't Disney, so your example doesn't add anything.

and yet people don't use the search function while they are bored to find these threads. Frankly i'm not interested in the excuses you can find to not do the obvious, but when there are already threads out there about the same subject, it doesn't need yet another thread about the same subject.

Since you'll want me to prove my point with that stupid onus of proof nonsense, here:

here is one from last week:

another from one week and two days earlier:

one from a few months ago:
No you got the wrong one here, I never ask for "proof" on the forums. One of the dumbest catchphrases I seen used here to minimalize what someone else writes. As if opinion doesn't count for anything.

I am just pointing out that poo-pooing people for asking questions or for posting ideas on the forums that will never materialize is just being a malcontent and venting internal unhappiness on others.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

kodrac
09.04.2019 , 08:26 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Melee healer like Warrior Priest / Disciple of Kaine from WAR.
Those were fun. That was the class I liked most in my brief stay there.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
or Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

Lhancelot
09.04.2019 , 08:59 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
Those were fun. That was the class I liked most in my brief stay there.
Yeah I played WAR probably less than SWTOR at this point, but there were many facets to that game I will never forget! I really enjoyed the gameplay of that class in particular. I never really found another class like it, on any other games either. This is also why I still have a soft spot for EQ1 too, they had classes that could do things I never seen on any game, too. Which is remarkable seeing how old EQ1 is now.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

OlBuzzard
09.04.2019 , 09:55 AM | #28
Don't forget that the cost is significantly more than you think:
* One new base class
* Two new advanced classes
* *Six* new Disciplines as part of the two new advanced classes
* Balancing.
* Much of the above doubled for animations, ability names, etc. because of Imp/Pub differences.
* Two new class stories with five new class companions and a new starter planet(1) and a new class ship(2) each (one Impside, one Pubside)
* Dialogue tweaks *everywhere* to account for the fact that e.g. an Imp Trooper shouldn't be called "My Lord" or "Hunter" or "Commander", but instead "Lieutenant", "Captain" etc.
On this we agree... particularly if the class were started at the beginning of the entire story line.

Adding new advanced classes to existing base classes costs less because they can avoid building new stories / starter worlds / ships.
Actually you would have many of the same issues with a new "advanced class" as you would adding a new class mid-stream... there would simply be a lot of "gaps" in the dialogue from the past. One thought in particular is why said advanced class is never mentioned through out any of the stories of SWTOR ? So there would need to be a means of incorporating this new class.

Adding a "Hero" class (starts at near max level) would be considered seriously lame, I think, because it would be story-deficient in a story-heavy MMORPG. Not really a good fit.
Respectfully IMO this actually has one of the better options. This would be true particularly if the new class has been mentioned in SWTOR already .. or at least a branch from which it has been developed. IF said NEW class has been created as a recent development from the rise (and fall) of the events surrounding Zakuul (the eternal throne etc.)
that could easily give rise to the NEW CLASS. And from that justification would rise a whole new group of stories, characters, companions etc.. etc.. etc.. And would require less concern over impact over the earlier parts of the game.

In short: the new class or even an advanced class should have established roots in SWTOR lore !

Please note: I have the utmost respect for the work, opinions and input on this forum of SteveTheCynic. I hope that any comments or points to be taken will be seen in light of that !

EDIT: this part of the discussion is based on feasibility concerns vs minimal cost aspects. If we were not looking at a cost aspect then .. well without going just total hog wild with expense... IMO the new class should still be rooted in SWTOR lore as a base to work from.

Thanks !
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

SteveTheCynic
09.04.2019 , 10:35 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
Actually you would have many of the same issues with a new "advanced class" as you would adding a new class mid-stream... there would simply be a lot of "gaps" in the dialogue from the past. One thought in particular is why said advanced class is never mentioned through out any of the stories of SWTOR ? So there would need to be a means of incorporating this new class.
Except that a new advanced class would be something like e.g. "Combat Engineer" as an alternative to Commando or Vanguard for Troopers.

Quote:
I sense a terminology problem... What follows is a broad-strokes view that uses Troopers as an example, but all the eight base classes work the same way.

When the game released, up to (but not including) the release of v4.0, new Troopers began the game as, well, Troopers ==> the "base" class. When they reached the Fleet after completing Ord Mantell, they were offered an "advanced training" mission where they could train to take an "advanced" class, either Commando or Vanguard. The NPCs involved in this mission were the only ones in the whole game that mentioned the Trooper-Commando-Vanguard thing.

v4.0 (Oct 2015) made that mission almost meaningless, since you were then allowed to choose your advanced class in the Disciplines panel ("K") as soon as you reached level 10, which usually happened (and still does) somewhere just before you assault the big sep base. The choose your training mission still existed, and you could, if you wanted, still use it as your means of choosing an advanced class.

(That said, there was a memorable screenshot - sadly no longer available - that someone published of beating the Voss Destroying the Star Fortress mission on a plain Jedi Consular. Not a Shadow or a Sage, but a *Consular*. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=866822 )

v5.0 (Dec 2016) moved the choice point to the character creation process and deleted the mission. It's no longer possible to create a "Plain Old Trooper" - instead, you start directly as one of the advanced classes.(1)

Since the removal of the "choose your advanced training" mission in 5.0, no NPC anywhere ever mentions Commando or Vanguard.

Terminology recap over.
Combat Engineers would follow the Trooper story just like Commandos and Vanguards do.

(1) Surviving pre-5.0 base-class characters (Trooper, Jedi Consular, etc.) were supposed to be switched to the player's chosen advanced class when 5.0 was released, but it was possible to bypass the choice and continue playing as the base class, which is the only reason it is useful to even consider the distinction between base and advanced classes.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Celise
09.04.2019 , 10:44 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Wulff View Post
For everybody being disrespectful to the OP for his thread he didn't say he was trying to get them to add a class to the game. He was just starting a conversation to see what other people think would be cool additions to the universe. (Sorry if I am wrong here but I don't think I am) The OP was just looking to start a light conversation about SWTOR with people that like SWTOR in the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum. Sure he could have necroed somebody else's thread but you all would have given him the business for reviving a dead thread.
The most obvious easy point to make, are you the op?
can you read the OP's thoughts if you arent?
When will the OP return to make his/her own case to confirm or deny?

you can't answer any of those points before you start. Like it or not, you don't know what the OP was thinking. i have to take it at face value and leave it at that, just like everyone else until the OP elaborates, assuming the OP ever returns.