Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If Bioware made a new class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If Bioware made a new class?

Qouivandes
09.03.2019 , 10:49 AM | #11
Many years ago i got into a debate with a moderator at the now defunct Lucasarts Star Wars forums. The debate revolved around a new trilogy starting after episode VI. He/She was adamant that it was never going to happen and, in the end, ended up giving me a couple of weeks off from the forums to ponder how wrong I apparently was about the prospect. Of course i continued offering my thoughts whenever anyone poised the question, but eventually stopped posting there when i moved off of SWG. When i heard the announcement I immediately went back to the forums (which were still up), found the email that the moderator sent me (after spending a few months figuring out my password) and told them i looked forward to seeing them at the premier.

So, with that said, i encourage the OP to continue on with their thoughts on a new class even if it never happens there is never any harm into coming up with ideas. Who knows, the idea may be well enough that the powers that be will thing...hmm, you know, that is a good idea and will push it through.

I always thought that a good addition to the game would be the inclusion of a Sith Trooper and a Republic Regulator (BH); and a Sith smuggler and a Republic spy/sniper.
*.**.* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *.**.*
*.*.* Ebon Hawk *. *.*
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

Lhancelot
09.03.2019 , 12:02 PM | #12
Melee healer like Warrior Priest / Disciple of Kaine from WAR.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Einobi
09.03.2019 , 01:11 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
That's OK, DPS classes don't necessarily "do their main damage directly in a close hand-to-hand fight" either. Ranged-DPS is a thing. Heck, even if you consider that non-Force classes are invalid in Star Wars, there are still ranged-DPS classes in SWTOR (Sorc, Sage).
I should not have included the phrase "close hand-to-hand fight". This lead to misinterpretation. I should have just state "DPS classes don't necessarily do their main damage directly" instead. My bad.

What I meant is DPS support class dealt their damage via a proxy (turrets, mine, booby trap etc). Their MAIN damage don't come out of a pistol, lightsaber or hand (lightning for e.g.). Those proxy are 'passive' damage dealer that strike enemies on proximity (even when the players are not near the enemy).

The value of such mechanism is also to offer a balance sort-of in PvP. In PvP, no matter how balance you are in terms of class ability damages, it is HUGELY mitigated by the varying lag between different players. Players who are on high lag due to geographical distance (E.g. 300 ms) vs players with low lag (e.g 30 ms) is already a huge imbalance no matter what. By offering such damage via proxy mechanism it will mitigate the imbalance between player with varying lag. This is one of the important value and purpose for such suggesting such mechanism. Someone in BW is already well aware of such consideration and you see the same philosophy being implemented already in GSF. Why not export the SAME DESIGN IDEA out of GSF into PvP/PvE.

XxHazenxX
09.03.2019 , 01:45 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Qouivandes View Post
Many years ago i got into a debate with a moderator at the now defunct Lucasarts Star Wars forums. The debate revolved around a new trilogy starting after episode VI. He/She was adamant that it was never going to happen and, in the end, ended up giving me a couple of weeks off from the forums to ponder how wrong I apparently was about the prospect. Of course i continued offering my thoughts whenever anyone poised the question, but eventually stopped posting there when i moved off of SWG. When i heard the announcement I immediately went back to the forums (which were still up), found the email that the moderator sent me (after spending a few months figuring out my password) and told them i looked forward to seeing them at the premier.
The difference is that George Lucas and Mark Hamill both confirmed that a sequel trilogy was George's original plan so getting that by whatever means was always a possibility. BioWare has flat out said multiple times (especially in streams when the question has been asked in chat) that a new class isn't going to happen, so I don't know why we have to see a new thread about new classes literally every week on the main discussion forum. Like someone else said, post it in the suggestion forum. The most we'll ever get are new ways to customize and build the existing classes, which is exactly what they're doing with the tactical system (ESO trait system) in 6.0.
SWG-Flurry
<DFR> Big-N-Buff | Burn'ing Chaos | Big-N-Tough <DFR>
July 10, 2004 - December 15, 2011

Lhancelot
09.03.2019 , 01:50 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by XxHazenxX View Post
The difference is that George Lucas and Mark Hamill both confirmed that a sequel trilogy was George's original plan so getting that by whatever means was always a possibility. BioWare has flat out said multiple times (especially in streams when the question has been asked in chat) that a new class isn't going to happen, so I don't know why we have to see a new thread about new classes literally every week on the main discussion forum. Like someone else said, post it in the suggestion forum. The most we'll ever get are new ways to customize and build the existing classes, which is exactly what they're doing with the tactical system (ESO trait system) in 6.0.
Well, going by your logic people ought not post about anything to improve the game seeing nothing we ever ask for happens.

People post out of boredom, for fun, to express thoughts, etc. People post their ideas for other reasons other than why you post obviously.

I could point out that you posting that others shouldn't post is redundant too, seeing people will continue to post about new classes, new races, and all kinds of other things that will never happen regardless of you disproving.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Qouivandes
09.03.2019 , 02:13 PM | #16
I still stand by my encouragement. regardless of circumstance or what was stated, folks who play WoW are now playing in classic servers; the new trilogy did come out; and a good friend had two kids after stating for years that she was never having any. We dont know what the future will bring to us and I will certainly not discourage anyone from flexing their creative muscles by telling them, essentially, shut up and go away. Thats just plain rude. If you dont want to be a part of the discussion, then, by all means, go post in another thread.
*.**.* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *.**.*
*.*.* Ebon Hawk *. *.*
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

JediQuaker
09.03.2019 , 03:12 PM | #17
Realistically, new classes are never going to be introduced into SWTOR.
It's not that I think it "can't" happen, but I'm saying it "won't". Introducing new classes would be a major undertaking. If they were going to do that, they may as well replace the engine, fix all the bugs, and basically start all over with SWTOR 2.0. That could possibly happen if SWTOR was to start to become more popular and the investment cost of upgrading the game would be do-able, but ....

Any way, on a lighter note, even though I think it won't happen, I would suggest that the easiest "new" classes to introduce would be Imperial Smuggler and Republic Bounty Hunter - they could use a lot of existing resources. Next to that would be Imperial Trooper and Republic Agent (like Theron).
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Ardrossan
09.03.2019 , 03:55 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Well, going by your logic people ought not post about anything to improve the game seeing nothing we ever ask for happens.
Now you're on to something.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

XxHazenxX
09.03.2019 , 06:04 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post

People post out of boredom, for fun, to express thoughts, etc. People post their ideas for other reasons other than why you post obviously.

I could point out that you posting that others shouldn't post is redundant too, seeing people will continue to post about new classes, new races, and all kinds of other things that will never happen regardless of you disproving.
I get why people post, and I never said people shouldn't post. The point was there's no need to make a new thread on the same topic over and over each week (in the wrong forum too, mind you) like it's some brand new brilliant idea when they can post in the already-existing hundreds of threads about new classes that have existed since the game launched.
SWG-Flurry
<DFR> Big-N-Buff | Burn'ing Chaos | Big-N-Tough <DFR>
July 10, 2004 - December 15, 2011

OlBuzzard
09.03.2019 , 07:48 PM | #20
My own personal idea is one based on existing SWTOR lore that is scattered through out the game. IMO... that means that the "new class" is already well established.

The basis of the new class is FSNFU: Force Sensitive / Non Force User. It should be noted that I tried to cover as many aspects as possible: Lore, Empire as well as Republic characters(names for each of the subclasses ) etc...

Here is a link. It's found in the suggestion part of the forums.

http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=964179
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|