Playing the Sith Empire does not feel satisfying/rewarding anymore. (SPOILERS)

SirRickson

I remember starting the game as a Sith and running around Korriban/Dromund kaas, being introduced to all of these Iconic Sith from the comics, seeing the character development. The empire felt so powerful to be a part of, we had a mysterious dark council of powerful sith lords and even the mysterious Emperor working behind the scenes which also made the empire feel powerful. Seeing all the military and fleets the empire had, it just felt so good/****** being part of the empire and playing a sith.

The cinematics also portray how strong of an attack the empire made on the republic such as the sacking of Coruscant. However, since the start of the game till now we have seen the empire lose time and time again. The dark council have been eliminated and replaced countless times like cannon fodder, these are supposed to be the 12 most powerful and cunning Sith in the Galaxy.

The emperor/voice killed, key members killed off Darth Angral, Mortis, Marr, Baras. Ravage, Decimus, Gravus, Grand Moff Kilran, Dread Masters, Mandalore and the rest of the dark council/Imperial heads and their replacements. Darth Malgus was originally planned to be killed off but has been brought back recently. We lost Corellia, Balmorra, other planets. battles and are on the verge of defeat as of Makeb. To be playing an empire character and knowing that all your hard wrok/effort is going to nothing and makes no difference anyway in the grand scheme of things feels demoralising.

The Empire is in ruins so far and was already much smaller than the republic to begin with, than the cherry on top with the Zakuul attack eliminating the rest of the key sith members/imperial military. I would not be suprised next expansion if there is a mission to raid dromund Kaas and kill Acina/Vowrawn and any ''key'' sith we have been introduced to in the comics/game since its inception.

And with the Nathema Conspiracy, its clean up time again where again key members of the sith/imperial military can be killed off.

It just feels like a joke at this point, ''let’s choose between the almighty sith empire or the republic'', but what empire? Theres nobody important/iconic left except several irrelevant no name npcs with no character development running around dromund kass or the imperial fleet. There’s no one to look up to or follow, we had that in Marr but it didn’t surprise me when they killed him off. It almost feels like Bioware are doing this intentionally or the loss of the crew in 2012 really damaged them and their storytelling capabilities.

Blizzard kill of key WOW characters however they have managed to keep a core of very well-developed characters around for us to follow and interact with, the same can’t be said for swtor and the empire.

Edited by SirRickson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the loss of Marr, there really is no one in the Empire my Darth Occlus respects anymore. While Acina hasn't done anything to make me regret siding with the Empire, I have a feeling her character is going to get wasted like so many others.

Malgus can sod off. If he so much as litters I'll kill him.

Edited by Paulsutherland

With the loss of Marr, there really is no one in the Empire my Darth Occlus respects anymore.

Same here, Marr was litteraly the ONLY Sith both my Nox and Wrath respected and were willing to follow.

Now, they want nothing to do with the Empire anymore

What do you expect? It's Star Wars. The entire franchise is built on the hero's journey, in which the good guys prevail.

We also already know that this is the distant past and the Sith Empire fades into nothingness for thousands of years. The resurfacing of the Sith in The Phantom Menace is a disturbing surprise for the Jedi, who apparently haven't encountered a Sith in quite some time.

You're playing the faction that is already known to lose to the Republic, and you're upset that it feels like they're losing to the Republic.

Frankly, the only people who should be griping are the Republic die-hards. There are so many Imps in the game -- because gamers are edgelords who love being the bad guys -- that the Republic is constantly losing in warzones and GSF, where there's direct competition between the factions.

Let's face it: Imps get a better game experience. They get a station that doesn't look like a slum. They generally get better class storylines. The ONLY complaint the Imps really have is that SOMETIMES the story makes it obvious that they are not going to be totally destroying the Republic and ruling the galaxy, which we ALREADY KNEW coming into this game.

I don't know.

I wish my Knight felt like my Warrior when it came to just attacking enemies. The animations just make a better kill the npcs experience.

Knight is so lacking in that area :( Same spec, different experience.

So, it's at least satisfying that way. I just wish I could give those animations to my Knight or Warrior could side switch very early on. :(

The sith empire as a whole was a massive disappointment after Kotor 2, it's just a nastier version of the republic, there's nothing outlandish or mysterious about them, I never even heard any character speak the sith language that we heard from Atris' collected holocrons.

The sith empire as a whole was a massive disappointment after Kotor 2, it's just a nastier version of the republic, there's nothing outlandish or mysterious about them, I never even heard any character speak the sith language that we heard from Atris' collected holocrons.

Disagree, the Empire is pretty cool. This Empire is a great mixture of the Galactic Empire and the Sith Empires that came before the game's timeline. The original Sith tongue is clearly not used anymore, except by scholars. Why? Who knows. The Empire seem to have fully adapted to Galactic Basic, or at least its own variant of it.

Like Paul, and some others have said, Marr was the only Sith I enjoyed and respected and was willing to follow. The OP is right, so much of the Empire has fallen, so many of our heroes dead.

I want Satele Shan's head on a pike. That might make it a touch more fair. :eek:

I want to see the Republic get more than a little bloody nose because someone burned their tomatoes.

Even though the Empire has had most everything stripped from it, 1-50 up to SoR it's still the more fun side to play. KOTFEET...urgh. Don't even... :rolleyes:

The impulse to quit once and for all was quite strong when they killed Marr, and then they validated it when we see him hanging around Satele while she decided to go camping while a war rages. What a cowardly thing to do. Go toast a damn marshmellow instead of fighting. Pfft. I probably should've quit after that, but like a schmuck, I hung around, waiting, hoping for a good resolution and a resurrection for my favorite Dark Council member, Marr.

SO...what do they do? Resurrect that stupid zombie poster boy of theirs. I freaking DESPISE Malgus. He should've stayed dead.

But let me guess, the Influencers liked him right? :eek::(

Just know, if ya'll and your influencers kill Vowrawn off? I'm done here. Ta.

The Sith Empire was in the overwhelmingly dominant position at the start of the game. They can't be winning all the time.

The Republic and and the Empire were both devastated during the war with Zakuul, and the Empire has already rebuilt itself in having to the stronger position of the two.

I will agree that Darth Marr being killed off wasn't great, because there weren't any Sith quite like him. But if you are comparing casualties, then the Empire lost most of the Dark Council, but the Republic lost most of the Jedi Council and their original supreme Chancellor. Plus, their Supreme Commander retired and their next one was killable.

Edited by OldVengeance

I would say both sides lost an astonishing amount of leaders, supplies, and ships. At the start of the game the empire was easily the strongest with most of it's council intact. Now both factions are nowhere near the strength they once had but personally I found the story lines for the sith to be definitely more fun than Republic side. The only exception is jedi knight because that was also a well played out story.

At this point I just want my sith warrior to STOP being called commander because that sounds stupid, I always envisioned to grab the imperial fleet for my own and defect from the sith empire. Destroy ALL the weak sith because only the strongest should be called sith ( myself the previous Wrath) ( Malgus), I lost count how many weakling idiots think they are strong sith in the story.

Oh and I hated when they killed off Darth Marr I thought he had so much more potential to continue in the story

Snip!

Don't worry Luna ... as the former Head of the Sphere of Ancient Knowledge ... I have a plan! I just need Darth Marr's body ... and armour.

Plan A: We throw Darth Marr body into the Belsavis Mother Machine and boom ... New Darth Marr!

Plan B: We force bind Darth Marr's spirit to his armour!

Plan C: I put Malora on the Alliance payroll, we'll get her to do some Sith Alchemy on Marr!

Plan D: We go to Kamino and get them to clone Darth Marr!

Plan E: We invent time travel and go back to Ziost ... we take Darth Marr's glove and apply the 'Slap of Death' to Valkorion's face before he zaps Marr!

Plan F: Just throw him onto the Odessen computer!

Plan G: We throw our wallets at the Cartel Market!

Then whatever works, we then do to Vaylin! :D

Edited by Paulsutherland

This one would be my favourite option.

And doing the same for other NPCs could be nice as well

Vaylin for you, i'd take some Cytharat for my Nox if it was a possibility, but throwing my wallet at the CM to get him would be fine by me as well, and then i'd HC whatever i want about him and my Nox :D

I was disappointed Marr was killed of too but the empire is still better overall than when it was at the start. When you start off on this game the sith and empire just want to kill each other all the time. Now they are more smart about their decisions in order to keep control. Though Im expecting Malgus will mess with that balance. Acina did good in reshaping it.

The republic has had their problems too, Saresh was the lead that went from a respectable character to a person just wanting power for themselves cuz reasons. Marr stayed the same, he just saw the force from both perspectives. He was always open minded.

At this point your not suppose to follow a character anyway, you become strong and a leader that could lead your own faction. So why you need some people to follow, take it all for your own sith! Become your own sith empire!

This one would be my favourite option.

And doing the same for other NPCs could be nice as well

Vaylin for you, i'd take some Cytharat for my Nox if it was a possibility, but throwing my wallet at the CM to get him would be fine by me as well, and then i'd HC whatever i want about him and my Nox :D

Make it an event featuring the Mother Machine :) Go out and collect dna fragments while being attacked by the evil Rakata and in return she'll create / rebuild / clone 'X' as a companion for you :D

I think for me, the sticking point has always been that the class stories for the Empire were generally stronger, in part due to their versatility...a DS-leaning Imperial can feel like a "super villain" while a LS-leaning Imperial can feel like a sort of "noble villain" type, or even rather heroic, in some cases. In the Republic, you're either a hero or an idiot thug.

However, that's only with regards to the class stories. The planetary stories tended to work better on the Republic side, and on the Imperial side, lean in the direction of stupid-evil (Taris), or futile, because the stupid-evil types are gonna come in and ruin everything (Balmorra, Corellia). So, even though on the whole, I prefer the Warrior, Inquisitor, Hunter, and Agent stories, even since launch, make most of my characters have been Republic-oriented, because it's more satisfying when taken as a whole.

My suspicion that people who are only now finding it less satisfying are probably only noticing because there are no compelling class stories, because the Empire as a larger entity has stayed pretty consistent.

The republic has had their problems too, Saresh was the lead that went from a respectable character to a person just wanting power for themselves cuz reasons. Marr stayed the same, he just saw the force from both perspectives. He was always open minded.

Point of correction; Saresh was always an opportunistic *****. She routinely used regulations to force people to risk their lives in order comply with what she wanted done because she wanted to be sure Taris would be HER big success she could leverage.

I remember back when I was first starting the game voicing a hope after doing Pub-side Taris that hopefully the Imp-side story would let me murder her because she was already a scumbag and it would be cathartic only to be told “LOL, no. Suck it up. She becomes Supreme Chancellor.”

Getting to thwart her coup attempt and then throw her in prison (because death is what she’d do and lets her off too easy) was immensely satisfying.

I’ve never been particularly enamored with the Empire though. I rolled up my first Imp-side because all my RL friends were playing on that side and to date have never made an Imp-Side who didn’t try to undermine the system. I think my Assassin is my favorite simply because I was able to stealth past and avoid all but the mission required killing of Pubs and innocents; though starting out a slave and then playing full lightside made it look like Marr and I were the only sane people trying to manage the insane asylum that is the Sith Empire.

If Marr were still alive and he and Lana were still both actually part of the Sith Empire I might have had some reservations about deciding to defect to the Republic. But with Vowron as Emperor, Malgus as his Wrath and hints of a third party (probably Darth Jadus) behind them both it’s clear the Empire is going to have the Chaotic Evil party in charge and I can safely say “Frak that! I’m out.”

I kept Moff Pyron’s people alive because he was an old ally, but otherwise my goal is to cause as much damage to the Empire as possible on my way out while limiting casualties to the Republic.

Frankly, if it were up to me I’d broadcast a galaxy-wide message of... “Your idiot leaders are gearing up for another pointless war again... if you’ve had enough of fighting other people’s wars and just want to be left the frak alone, The Alliance will accept you with open arms.

“If you’re worried we can’t protect you because we don’t have the Eternal Fleet, remember that we took down Zakuul, the guys who curbstomped the Republic and Empire simultaneously, without the Eternal Fleet.

“And to the leaders of the Republic and Empire... stop with the stupid before I’m forced to take steps. Do you think you’re a bigger ******, more conniving or better protected than Saresh, Acina, Arcann, Vaylin or Valkorian? The only ones of those who are still alive either work for me now or are rotting in my prisons. Behave or I’ll put you in the cell next to Saresh and you can spend the rest of her life listening to her *****... or I can be merciful and kill you instead.”

If you think playing an Imperial is demoralizing, try playing a Light-side character who serves a Republic who wouldn't even join forces against Zakuul when it was overseen by the former Sith Emperor and his evil offpsring, while allowing corruption to rot everything you fought for from within.

I get it, Darth Marr was awesome and now he's gone. It's a blow, but at least he went down like a boss.

I like Empress Acina but she doesn't have the raw presence of Marr or Malgus (pre-defeat). Hopefully she'll come more into her own while bringing the Empire to glory.

The Republic doesn't even have a leader with a name anyone remembers.

Edited by Xina_LA

Don't worry Luna ... as the former Head of the Sphere of Ancient Knowledge ... I have a plan! I just need Darth Marr's body ... and armour.

Plan A: We throw Darth Marr body into the Belsavis Mother Machine and boom ... New Darth Marr!

Plan B: We force bind Darth Marr's spirit to his armour!

Plan C: I put Malora on the Alliance payroll, we'll get her to do some Sith Alchemy on Marr!

Plan D: We go to Kamino and get them to clone Darth Marr!

Plan E: We invent time travel and go back to Ziost ... we take Darth Marr's glove and apply the 'Slap of Death' to Valkorion's face before he zaps Marr!

Plan G: We throw our wallets at the Cartel Market!

Then whatever works, we then do to Vaylin! :D

Plans are always great to have :D I used the Mother-Machine to cure Scourge in my story...so it would make a good possibility to fix Marr...but I think we need to have a body.

My favorite idea is to have a ritual and if we can't full on resurrect him, then, like you say, bind that ghost to the armor. That'd be cool. :D

Plans are always great to have :D I used the Mother-Machine to cure Scourge in my story...so it would make a good possibility to fix Marr...but I think we need to have a body.

My favorite idea is to have a ritual and if we can't full on resurrect him, then, like you say, bind that ghost to the armor. That'd be cool. :D

Why downgrade Marr that way? The guy became a full on Force Ghost, not some Sith Spirit tied to his tomb or some relic. He ended up chilling with Satele only because no one was left in the Empire worth his time (and Satele left the Republic because there was no one there worth her time.

The moral of this story is that both the Republic and the Empire suck and they’re about to go and start a new pointless war while both sides are still in a resource crisis from losing the last war and waging the war against each other before that... both of which were instigated by the psychopath whose goal was to eat the galaxy so he could transcend and rule some other galaxy as its god.

Frankly, the idea that you need to join either faction at this point is stupid. You’re more competent than both sides put together, could pretty well mop the floor with whichever one decided to actually pick a fight with you, and have a much better recruiting message than either faction.

“Join us and we won’t get you killed in stupid pointless wars because whenever a threat comes up I always take care of everything personally (Lana and Theron sometimes get to help too) so all you’ll ever have to do is make pithy comments while lounging around in my base and applaud when I return from yet another successful mission to save the galaxy.”

I find it hard to play on Empire side. Mostly, because my view is fanatic egalitarian, and the Empire is quite opposite. We know, that the Empire is losing, and while it is not an official canon it still could be. However doing that means, that the Sith Empire must fall.

To be honest this whole death of all the main characters on both sides gives a perfect oppurtunity to take power for our commander. In the Empire the commander is clearly the strongest, and their authoritarian system respect strength above all. He could just walk into the dark council's room and slaughter everyone who doesn't kneel. Taking over the Empire. Hell he might even try that as a republic character, if he sided with Acina on Iokath. She could arrange to reach those places without being shot by every single Imperial personal, and ship.

The Republic hero is a bit more difficult, but he is still a hero, and could run to become chancellor. Even as a jedi, because the jedi order is mostly in ruins. They no longer have any power. Especially not on someone like the Commander. However you are a widely respected republic hero regardless, and running for office with the foundation of the Alliance should be a piece of cake.

Why downgrade Marr that way? The guy became a full on Force Ghost, not some Sith Spirit tied to his tomb or some relic. He ended up chilling with Satele only because no one was left in the Empire worth his time (and Satele left the Republic because there was no one there worth her time.

The moral of this story is that both the Republic and the Empire suck and they’re about to go and start a new pointless war while both sides are still in a resource crisis from losing the last war and waging the war against each other before that... both of which were instigated by the psychopath whose goal was to eat the galaxy so he could transcend and rule some other galaxy as its god.

Frankly, the idea that you need to join either faction at this point is stupid. You’re more competent than both sides put together, could pretty well mop the floor with whichever one decided to actually pick a fight with you, and have a much better recruiting message than either faction.

“Join us and we won’t get you killed in stupid pointless wars because whenever a threat comes up I always take care of everything personally (Lana and Theron sometimes get to help too) so all you’ll ever have to do is make pithy comments while lounging around in my base and applaud when I return from yet another successful mission to save the galaxy.”

Why? Because I miss him and want him around. (Yes, apparently, I'm selfish.) It was stupid for him to hang with Satele, because he would've eventually as a ghost learned that the commander is who went down with the ship with him. I'd say that's more worth his time than Satele, in my opinion. I don't buy that there was no one worth Satele's time. She's always supposedly been so heroic, you'd think she'd go down fighting for what's right, and protecting her republic and order, not camping and not even paying so much as one visit to her son on the same world. She's a lost cause. I don't 'get' her; I suppose I never have, because to me, blood is blood, family is family and is everything, even if you fight amongst yourselves, it's always a united front against anyone else. That's what family and blood is. No matter what. What you believe in defines you. Family is everything and you cling to it and protect it. Her personality has bothered me from the get-go, even before Theron was born, but especially after he was born.

I agree with you that having to join either faction at this point is stupid. Making us help one or the other side really reduces and diminishes who we are and our accomplishments. I think it would've been a lot more fun, as, 'who am I going to take over first?' and 'how will I rebuild these worlds or the preferred world in my image?' and 'What did I want from it, and make it that.'

Taking away the alliance or reducing is just caving to people who think a two-sided battle is exciting...that it's so Star Wars, just because that's how it is in the future. Who's to say what it was in the past. Who's to say the Alliance didn't swallow up both, become an Empire and the newer rebels came up after?

I'm inclined to think we agree on more than not. I just really love Darth Marr and wish he could be back, even as a Force Ghost would be fine, to advise us. I trust him more than Lana, I'll tell ya, and I trust his wisdom.

PS. Don't know if you watch Supernatural, but Crowley, he went down like a Boss, it was awesome, but I miss him too and would love him back on the show.

Edited by Lunafox