Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

ENVISIONocity
12.10.2016 , 01:24 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SolarWake View Post
During the 5.0 RNG crisis, the most common argument seems to be that the mechanics introduced in 5.0 are blatantly designed to artificially extend existing content (and thus extend people's subscriptions), and that the developers should realize that the community is so opposed to the current direction that the changes will, in fact, have the opposite effect on subscriptions. The counter-arguments, when they occur, seem to be that the vocal unsubscribers do not reflect a silent majority of players who are perfectly content to adjust to the new changes.
I'm rather ambivalent on the RNG debate because it hasn't impacted my gameplay directly at this point. I can appreciate the complaints over being on the wrong side of the curve, but I'm not sure that enough time has passed for data to have been collated and evaluated for necessary adjustments. At the same time, it would make perfect sense that Bioware decide to slow down the hungrier of SWTOR's player base to keep them in pace with expansions and major patches that they've cobbled together, lest the player base get it all achieved faster than you can issue it.

Offhand, I see Bioware as facing some heat from EA who may want to see more income yet refuses to invest in ways that would make that happen. Not that they'd tell us in a Twitch feed. And speculation on my part, quite frankly.

In any case, I'll probably be here to the end because ... well, Star Wars.

Oh, and light sabers!!

Quote: Originally Posted by SolarWake View Post
Also, well-met, fellow Shadowlands slow-buffing altaholics
This has been really great, hearing from fellow Shadowlanders! And I've really appreciated everyone else who responded. Thank you, everyone!

ENVISIONocity
12.10.2016 , 01:47 PM | #22
Have any of you solo players run in Galactic Starfighter's missions? I actually haven't. I've done the very first of the space missions that we access aboard our ship, and I'll admit that on my three-monitor setup, it was immersive! I never did more than those two, though, so I'm not sure how the rest compare.

Oh, someone mentioned immersion as part of their SWTOR experience, and I'm with them.

Tossing out there one long-awaited treat: If I could get anything, it'd be day and night cycles on the various planets. I enjoyed that element in my WOW days, for sure. Improved environmental conditions would be nice in this same regard, actually. Rain, snow, that sort of thing wouldn't go unappreciated by me.

But to get around on some of those planets after nightfall? That'd be great!

djungelvraaal
12.10.2016 , 01:57 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ENVISIONocity View Post
Have any of you solo players run in Galactic Starfighter's missions? I actually haven't. I've done the very first of the space missions that we access aboard our ship, and I'll admit that on my three-monitor setup, it was immersive! I never did more than those two, though, so I'm not sure how the rest compare.

Oh, someone mentioned immersion as part of their SWTOR experience, and I'm with them.

Tossing out there one long-awaited treat: If I could get anything, it'd be day and night cycles on the various planets. I enjoyed that element in my WOW days, for sure. Improved environmental conditions would be nice in this same regard, actually. Rain, snow, that sort of thing wouldn't go unappreciated by me.

I have queued up as a solo player in the galactic starfighter thingy, and I would like to take this moment and apologize to my team , although, I've won, one I think, I absolutely suck at gsf, and should probably never do them again, I just don't understand them, mind you, the tutorial, I did that, but that was a looong time ago.

And yes, day, and night circles would indeed be nice, I also like the rain and snow idea.

*edit a word snuck in where it shouldn't have.

SerraShar
12.10.2016 , 01:58 PM | #24

I know right!!! We dont even have WIND *Whine* I have been saying it for 3 years now !

Seriously though , that is one thing I always wish we had . Like on Hoth it could help with that blinding Snow . Tattoine could look awesome under a Night Sky !

And more weather would be nice in general . I know they have it in GW 2 and The Secret World as well . And in most new RPG . Dragon Age Inquisition made by Bioware didn't have it . But The Witcher 3 did and they did it amazingly too ! They had wind and storms and it felt like you were there .

Galactic Starfighter ? Is that where you drive mosquitos ship and go pew pew ? and then use spacebar or something and do a barrel roll ? I think I end up smacking a meteor or something cose I sucked at it !

Turn out , I'm better at driving bigger smexier ship in Star Trek ! then Mosquitos ship in Star Wars LOL
Balance in All Things
Andraste and the Maker want you to click referral linkhttp://www.swtor.com/r/fsSTHy
You know, if I could click you, you wouldn’t know a moment’s peace!

ENVISIONocity
12.10.2016 , 02:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by eriksarcasm View Post
Also I don't think players like you who've stuck around that long should be called casuals. To me, casuals are the ones that play F2P for a while, maybe sub for a month or so, and then move on. Loyal players like yourself and others need a different label. For now, I'd call us "hard casual" (make your own dirty jokes).
It's funny because I've been in SWTOR so long now that when I create a new alt, I can usually hit level 2 just opening emails that roll in as part of my accrued legacy perks and such.

ChristienB
12.10.2016 , 02:27 PM | #26
What a great thread to come across today! Such a change from the doom and gloom, and seeing so many people who play the way I tend to. And, another Shadowlander here, so hello to all!!

I tend to be that solo person too. I have been lurking around since the beta weekends, taken a break for several months a few years back, but always find my way back here. SWTOR just seems to be my gaming home. I have gone through phases of wanting group content, joined some guilds when I was in that mood, given it a shot, and just found that I always seem to be the one holding people up since, like others here, I like to take in the scenery so to speak, and that first "HIT THE SPACE BAR" instantly turns me off.

I have done KOTFE a few times, and KOTET on 2. I love both stories, but since it's no longer all separate class missions, I just can't bring myself to do it over, and over again, back-to-back all at once. I WILL bring all my alts through it at some point, but with breaks going back to the original game and story lines.

Anyway, my point in posting, a friend and I have a guild on Shadowlands that is just the two of us. It's there just to park our alts in, get a little XP bonus, and have the guild bank. I know, we are HARDCORE! LOL If anyone would like to join just to have a spot, there no requirements, and never will be. Well, I take that back, there will always be one requirement: Be nice to each other. We are Mischief and Mayhem on Pub side and More Mischief and Mayhem on the Imp side. I do not post here to recruit to grow the guild, it's just been us (with 2 friend's alts) for a very long time. But, to offer fellow casuals and slow-buffers a place if you'd like it.

What I tend to do, when I hit the mood for group content is move 1 character into a guild just for that purpose, leaving the bulk of my toons in the quiet guild.

Anyway, thanks for a thread that made me smile today! Enjoy gaming on!
We are Mischief and Mayhem, with a dash of shenanigans, with just a bit of tomfoolery on the side....

ChristienB
12.10.2016 , 02:29 PM | #27

I loaded into it once, but I am not sure I even finished. I may give it another go, but at the time it was very jarring the difference between the main game and launching into that. Now that I've done more of the original game, I may give it another look.
We are Mischief and Mayhem, with a dash of shenanigans, with just a bit of tomfoolery on the side....

ChristienB
12.10.2016 , 02:41 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by SerraShar View Post
*Wave from the Shadowlands* Hi!

lol I see them too! I'm like ''Eeek! No buff! I give you one..hey! Stay put!'' LOL then I have to run after them . *facepalm*..Let's hope none think I'm stalking them
LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. It's like... noooo wait, come back...

Edyn
12.10.2016 , 02:50 PM | #29
Getting back to why I've never felt interested in bringing one of my characters (or all) over to KOTFE/KOTET: I think the primary reason is because the characters I've developed relationships with in each class story are, for all intents and purposes as far as I understand it, removed from the game with no tangible evidence of when they will return— and certainly by no choice on my part.

If choices matter, then my choice has been to treat KOTFE, and now KOTET, as a separate game from Classic SWTOR.
This is actually what I've decided to do for two reasons:

1. I absolutely hate the fact that my favorite characters (companions) have been written out of the story in KOTFE/ET. It really breaks the game for me. Not only have I lost my favorite companions, they have been replaced with an obscene amount of additional companions and most of whom only feel like combat zombies. They have no personality, no history, no backstory, no interaction with my character, and so I have no vested interest in them.

Every time I board my ship and see it empty, I'm saddened and reminded that my favorite characters are no longer around in the story and there's no explanation of where they've been and why they haven't contacted my character. It simply doesn't make sense from a writing perspective.

2. I played my main through KOTFE/ET and flat out refuse to take any of my alts through it. In my opinion, every bit of KOTFE/ET is a mere shadow of what of classic SWTOR is, due to:
Spoiler

So, you're right in that choices matter: I've chosen to pretend like KOTFE doesn't exist and return to just doing classic content in the game; however it's kind of rough to play it like classic when I can no longer save up tokens for Companion Gifts and gear for vanity and/or stats. I'm getting really good at right-click > disintegrate.

Galahard
12.10.2016 , 03:06 PM | #30
What a nice thread as a change of tone on the forums, thank you for posting this.
I can sympathize a lot with what has been written, solo player, casual, though playing a lot lately.
Also group content was mostly exciting, but also tedious for me, I don't like keeping people from achieving their goals as soon as possible (NOW!) and it's also very tiring to get to people's personal lives, when they have to take out a dog or go for a cigarette, not to speak about the interruptions in my own life, I sure don't want to bore or entertain other people with it. Probably, if I was a teen sitting in my room and doing nothing else but playing, probably, but it doesn't hurt to go outside sometimes, there is where you can meet people.
In game, it's more zen time for me, and other people are breaking my immersion.
Anyway, not wanting to turn into a rant, I am glad there are a lot of other people who enjoy the single player story aspect of the game, as I do too. It's a wonderful world filled with wonderful stories, I will play it until it's shut down.
Your lack of intelligence is insulting (SCORPIO).