Nightmare Pilgrim open world is a fail

Kerbs

Issues with the way NP is set up at moment (keep in mind I play on Dalborra an Oceanic PVE Server)

-Has to be 16 man, (we group with another guild be this is unfair to 8 man guilds in general)

-Open world and mechanics allow for others to exploit and grief your attempts

-Have to wait in line for attempts on raid nights

-If boss is killed there is a 2 hour re spawn timer (why is that when the people who kill it get a de-buff, this just penalises others)

-The de-buff you get once killing NP makes it harder to swap to another night to make sure the spread of guilds can operate on different nights.

-Lag is an issue with open world format with a lot of players waiting on attempts.hard to eve

Can some of these concerns be addressed please and looked into for future end game content as well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been downing NP weekly on the Dalborra for about a month now. My thoughts...

-Has to be 16 man, (we group with another guild be this is unfair to 8 man guilds in general)

Well, all operations are unfair to guilds with less than 8 players, are they not? LI and EC HM are unfair to guilds without competent players. Where does one draw the line of "fair", exactly? Yes, it sucks when you're in a situation where you can't necessarily complete all the content you want to, but I don't necessarily think that warrants a change in and of itself.

-Open world and mechanics allow for others to exploit and grief your attempts

This a fair point and somewhat of an issue in my mind. It hasn't happened to us as of yet, but certainly on a PVE server this would be... irritating.

Have to wait in line for attempts on raid nights

If boss is killed there is a 2 hour re spawn timer (why is that when the people who kill it get a de-buff, this just penalises others)

Respawn timers and waiting your turn are the nature of all world bosses. That's the point of the content... you're in direct competition over it. Changing this would defeat the point of it.

The debuff is just the closest thing to a lockout that the developers can apply to open world content, and in the interests of preventing loot farming, there's really no other option.

Lag is an issue with open world format with a lot of players waiting on attempts.

We had this issue a couple of weeks ago with an imperial guild sitting right on the edge of the encounter when taking turns. They didn't move when asked, but it didn't stop us downing the boss either. Again, it's annoying, but not necessarily a justification for content restructuring in my mind.

With the super low pop servers, this really wasn't an issue for us at all. We went out to do Nightmare Pilgrim first thing on Tuesdays and then clear HM EC with the buff, good to go.

Now that server transfers have taken place, we know that there will be a guild that starts exactly 1 hour before us every week going out there to kill it. We either have to move our raid start time back, do it on another day, organize something with the other guild, or just suck it up.

It is disappointing to not reliably have the buff for all of our clears, but we can certainly clear without it. We'll see how it works out :) The only real issue I have with it is the 2 hour lockout--I wish it were only 1 hour.

It is much more fun on a sunday afternoon at peak time when you can kill the raids healers mid fight :p

A drawback with trying to complete PvE content on a PvP server. I wonder would this be considered griefing considering you are deliberately disrupting a guild's attempt at clearing content? If so, you'd just get banned mate so probably not a wise move once the cheap thrill has worn off.

Respawn timers and waiting your turn are the nature of all world bosses. That's the point of the content... you're in direct competition over it. Changing this would defeat the point of it.

The debuff is just the closest thing to a lockout that the developers can apply to open world content, and in the interests of preventing loot farming, there's really no other option.

How can you loot farm it when you get a debuff from killing it anyways.. Guilds plan their raid nights and this is a silly thing that doesn't need to be there...

If it was a competition then people should just start spoiling peoples attempts

Are you kidding? It is fun as hell in a PvP Server, On The Bastion they had a Sith guild trying to take down NP and they hired about 20 sith so form a huge *** cirlce around them to protect, I mean it just makes it a bit more strategic and you have to use your faction

A drawback with trying to complete PvE content on a PvP server. I wonder would this be considered griefing considering you are deliberately disrupting a guild's attempt at clearing content? If so, you'd just get banned mate so probably not a wise move once the cheap thrill has worn off.

I don't think it's griefing on a PvP not on that scale. Griefing on a PvP would be camping someone for more than a few kills, or wildly outnumbering them and not giving them a chance to escape.

I don't think it's griefing on a PvP not on that scale. Griefing on a PvP would be camping someone for more than a few kills, or wildly outnumbering them and not giving them a chance to escape.

Same faction can easily grief this, which is the problem. I don't think anyone cares if on a PvP server and it is contested by the opposite faction. That is acceptable. But when the same faction can easily grief it, that is where the line needs to be drawn IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the days of EQ where everything was open world boss and trains were a necessity. However, games have evolved since then and there is no need to have this boss allowed to be griefed by same faction.

Yeah, I think Nightmare Pilgrim is now a "problem" on these super servers. I would like to propose two changes that I think would fix the issue:

(1) Put the Campaign Boots somewhere else. It's ok that NP drops them, but don't make NP the only way of getting the boots. Put them on another boss inside EC so that 8-man guilds have a fair chance at getting this loot.

(2) When you kill Nightmare Pilgrim, you get a "super stim" that when used will give you the +50 stats buff. The item should be BoP, and you should only be allowed to have one in your bags at a time. By making him drop an item for everyone in the raid like this, guilds can choose when to kill NP and then use the stim at raid time to get the buff.

This allows guilds to schedule NP kills to avoid conflicting with one another.

We've been killing NP every week, but now, just because a guild will kill him an hour before our raid times, we will never be able to kill him ever again. That sucks. I'm thrilled that we are on a high population server now, but if world bosses are going to be super-contested, you need to make them truly optional and not mandatory. Right now with the unique loot (boots) and the amazing buff, NP feels pretty mandatory for guilds gearing up for Nightmare Modes.

Edited by Kihra

One thing I thought that didnt make sense at all is the respawn timer.

Respawn timers are logically to stop people from over-killing too many world bosses, so that you can't get too much good loot running around.

Everytime you down the Nightmare Pilgrim, you are already "locked out" of it for 5 days with the 200% damage debuff. So why do you have to make it such that there is a respawn timer?

It is very frustrating when another guild has cleared it before you. 16 men go to bed disappointed. In the first place it is not easy to get 16 men on at the same time, so naturally peak hours in servers would be a popular time to down the nightmare pilgrim.

I personally organize the Nightmare Pilgrim raid so I can tell you that this is administratively frustrating. It took us a full week to finally find an empty night and time to settle on that no other guild was doing a regular run on.

Since you have to use a world object to make the Pilgrim spawn anyway, I think it would be cool if activating the item pulled your group into a special phase for the fight, like some of the "spirit world" stuff on Voss. That would prevent a lot of the griefing, and also they could put a real lockout on your "lockouts" page rather than forcing you to run around with an ugly five-day debuff (seriously, that is such a hack).

I wonder if any of the super-elite guilds have tried to down Pilgrim while some members have the debuff. Obviously if your tanks are taking an extra 200% damage that's not going to happen, but maybe if your DPS and healers are good enough at dodging circles, it could be done?

Edited by CitizenFry

Are you kidding? It is fun as hell in a PvP Server, On The Bastion they had a Sith guild trying to take down NP and they hired about 20 sith so form a huge *** cirlce around them to protect, I mean it just makes it a bit more strategic and you have to use your faction

I saw these guys on Voss, looked like the guys guarding them were having a blast with the pubs :)

Edited by Projawa

Just to add been on both sides of the fence, we have killed him and other guilds have been waiting to get to him and have had to quit and same thing has happened to our guild too.

Just a shame on a PVE server where the boots are Campaign (PVE related) that it can be very awkward for a high pop server at times.

Putting the boots on an EC boos wouldnt hurt, chuck them on HM Kephess or something.

How can you loot farm it when you get a debuff from killing it anyways.. Guilds plan their raid nights and this is a silly thing that doesn't need to be there...

To be fair, I was making two separate points. The respawn timer obviously isn't related to preventing loot farming, but like I said, it's presumably the developer's intention for un-instanced open world content. You are competing over it. Not everyone can have it.

Still, I completely agree that Campaign boots need to have an alternative source if it's going to stay this way.

If it was a competition then people should just start spoiling peoples attempts

For one, I'd like to think we could all manage some good-natured, friendly competition. It is just a video game with virtual loot after all.

Besides, competition or no, spoiling other people's attempts isn't really in one's self-interest.

Edited by Aurojiin

I actually enjoy Nightmare Pilgrim being an open world boss.

Yeah, I personally have no problem with open world bosses. What bugs me about this one is that it has loot that is part of a tier set that you can't get anywhere else and that it provides a stat buff that could end up being very relevant when Nightmare Mode hits.

They can leave it open world, but they should provide a means to get the tier boots from somewhere other than NP to be fair to 8-man guilds. They could then solve scheduling conflict issues by turning the buff into a stim that drops when you kill it. Then a guild could kill Nightmare Pilgrim at some odd time or team up with others etc.

They could also simply remove the 2hr respawn and lower it to like 30 minutes. As others have pointed out, there's no reason not to allow him to be spawned quickly when the people who killed him get a 5 day lockout anyway.

Since you have to use a world object to make the Pilgrim spawn anyway, I think it would be cool if activating the item pulled your group into a special phase for the fight, like some of the "spirit world" stuff on Voss. That would prevent a lot of the griefing, and also they could put a real lockout on your "lockouts" page rather than forcing you to run around with an ugly five-day debuff (seriously, that is such a hack).

I agree that once that marker is activated for a raid group to fight NP, they should then be pulled into an other world location for the fight. We are still working up a group for this fight as we can. Just recently started on the world bosses for the vehicle drop.

I also agree having a debuff on you for the 5 day period is ridiculous because it gimps you from running other raids or instances. I think the lockout option like we have currently on the weeklies is sufficient.

I agree that once that marker is activated for a raid group to fight NP, they should then be pulled into an other world location for the fight. We are still working up a group for this fight as we can. Just recently started on the world bosses for the vehicle drop.

I also agree having a debuff on you for the 5 day period is ridiculous because it gimps you from running other raids or instances. I think the lockout option like we have currently on the weeklies is sufficient.

I don't understand what you're trying to say in the underlined sentence. The debuff only ensures that you will autowipe on Nightmare Pilgrim during the next 5 days. It doesn't gimp you for the FPs and Ops. When you say "gimps," are you trying to say that you don't like being locked out of a World Boss for 5 days? Because if so, I don't think you understand that the boss is supposed to be Operation content (hence the 16 man) and that all the other Ops have a lockout timer that lasts until weekly reset (weekly maintenance).

If you're suggesting that the debuff actually has an effect outside of Nightmare Pilgrim you've been hideously misinformed. Nightmare Pilgrim has a passive ability that will one shot anyone who has the debuff, that's it - since you get a 5 hour +primary stat boost you're actually better off doing Ops such as HM EC right after killing the Nightmare Pilgrim:)

Hope this helps!

Edited by AshlaBoga

Yeah, I personally have no problem with open world bosses. What bugs me about this one is that it has loot that is part of a tier set that you can't get anywhere else and that it provides a stat buff that could end up being very relevant when Nightmare Mode hits.

They can leave it open world, but they should provide a means to get the tier boots from somewhere other than NP to be fair to 8-man guilds. They could then solve scheduling conflict issues by turning the buff into a stim that drops when you kill it. Then a guild could kill Nightmare Pilgrim at some odd time or team up with others etc.

They could also simply remove the 2hr respawn and lower it to like 30 minutes. As others have pointed out, there's no reason not to allow him to be spawned quickly when the people who killed him get a 5 day lockout anyway.

Those are all valid concerns but then again, I'm a fan of open world PvP and this game has completely killed it. There needs to be risk somewhere as well as not having all end game content in a sand boxed environment. Not everyone should always be able to kill this thing IMO.

I just wish Bioware would implement more open world risk for something relevant. I joined a PvP server for a reason.

Those are all valid concerns but then again, I'm a fan of open world PvP and this game has completely killed it. There needs to be risk somewhere as well as not having all end game content in a sand boxed environment. Not everyone should always be able to kill this thing IMO.

I just wish Bioware would implement more open world risk for something relevant. I joined a PvP server for a reason.

No one should be complaining about open world pvp. Same faction griefing is the problem for most. 1 person, same faction can wipe the entire raid multiple times.

I don't understand what you're trying to say in the underlined sentence. The debuff only ensures that you will autowipe on Nightmare Pilgrim during the next 5 days. It doesn't gimp you for the FPs and Ops. When you say "gimps," are you trying to say that you don't like being locked out of a World Boss for 5 days? Because if so, I don't think you understand that the boss is supposed to be Operation content (hence the 16 man) and that all the other Ops have a lockout timer that lasts until weekly reset (weekly maintenance).

If you're suggesting that the debuff actually has an effect outside of Nightmare Pilgrim you've been hideously misinformed. Nightmare Pilgrim has a passive ability that will one shot anyone who has the debuff, that's it - since you get a 5 hour +primary stat boost you're actually better off doing Ops such as HM EC right after killing the Nightmare Pilgrim:)

Hope this helps!

Aha...ok, I thought it would be on you for any fight you did after the NP fight. Thanks for clarifying that. Apparently the person who told me this, was also misunderstanding it.

No one should be complaining about open world pvp. Same faction griefing is the problem for most. 1 person, same faction can wipe the entire raid multiple times.

Now that makes perfect sense. Apparently many folks are under the impression it is anyone regardless of faction. So if it only applies to same faction then we can deal with that...just have someone nearby warn folks off so that we don't have that issue.