Does KOTET only have nine chapters in total?

Aowin

Looking through the new promotion for KOTET I noticed only nine chapters are listed with the ninth one seemingly being the finale. I was curious if we'll have an additional seven chapters released until the next expansion or is this all we are getting? If I'm not mistaken, KOTFE stated upfront when announced that there would be sixteen chapters as well as a bonus chapter. Can we expect the same process for KOTET or is less chapters meant to provide more content in each?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking through the new promotion for KOTET I noticed only nine chapters are listed with the ninth one seemingly being the finale. I was curious if we'll have an additional seven chapters released until the next expansion or is this all we are getting? If I'm not mistaken, KOTFE stated upfront when announced that there would be sixteen chapters as well as a bonus chapter. Can we expect the same process for KOTET or is less chapters meant to provide more content in each?

I think it's safe to assume that if there are going to be further monthly chapters they will be interlude chapters like the HK chapter, not part of the main story.

If they were going to have additional main chapter stories they would say so.

I think it's safe to assume that if there are going to be further monthly chapters they will be interlude chapters like the HK chapter, not part of the main story.

If they were going to have additional main chapter stories they would say so.

I'm not necessarily against that idea, as the pacing for KOTFE was horrible after Chapter IX. So if less chapters for better pacing and a more cohesive story is the goal, then I'm all for it. That being said, I do hope we also receive "interlude chapters" as I did enjoy the monthly chapter content. There was always something to look forward to each month and by the time it was concluded the next expansion was teased.

I think that's a good approach to keep players interested (with regard to story anyway) and hopefully we just don't have a story drought for an entire year after Chapter IX for KOTET is concluded.

CHAPTER 9 – THE ETERNAL THRONE

Clash with the Eternal Empire’s strongest forces in the final battle for control of the Eternal Throne.

Based on the description for chapter 9, I would say.. yes.... 9 chapters. However, with limited information released so far, no way to tell for 100% certainty.

So from this, I would conclude that they did not see what they wanted in player activity from the monthly chapters, so I would expect we will likely see major content patches that expand other areas beyond the core story in the next expac. That will make some people happy... unless the content released =/= their personal favorite pet content.

Edited by Andryah

I'm not necessarily against that idea, as the pacing for KOTFE was horrible after Chapter IX. So if less chapters for better pacing and a more cohesive story is the goal, then I'm all for it. That being said, I do hope we also receive "interlude chapters" as I did enjoy the monthly chapter content. There was always something to look forward to each month and by the time it was concluded the next expansion was teased.

I think that's a good approach to keep players interested (with regard to story anyway) and hopefully we just don't have a story drought for an entire year after Chapter IX for KOTET is concluded.

My favorite chapter was the HK one so that pretty much means I agree with you.

I liked getting something every month. It reminded me of why I bother to subscribe.

Based on the description for chapter 9, I would say.. yes.... 9 chapters. However, with limited information released so far, no way to tell for 100% certainty.

So from this, I would conclude that they did not see what they wanted in player activity from the monthly chapters, so I would expect we will likely see major content patches that expand other areas beyond the core story in the next expac. That will make some people happy... unless the content released =/= their personal favorite pet content.

You make a fair point, but I'm also skeptical the monthly chapter approach won't return. The only reason I say this is part of the reason BioWare did it to start was an attempt to prolong the story and spread it out so players would have something to look forward to.

That's not to say BioWare shouldn't also make an attempt to add new group content and other features (they should), but just nine story chapters and then that's it for the year would have KOTET suffer the same shortcomings ROTHC and SOR suffered.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see as more information becomes available.

My favorite chapter was the HK one so that pretty much means I agree with you.

I liked getting something every month. It reminded me of why I bother to subscribe.

Exactly. I feel the same way. I loved the HK bonus chapter and having a new chapter every month (even though some were underwhelming) gave me more of a reason to stay subscribed. Just doing wzs over and over or doing fps isn't enough incentive for me to maintain a subscription. The monthly chapters actually gave me that needed incentive.

It feels like the 9 chapters will be delivered on a monthly basis since I don't see them delivering everything at once with nothing to do for the rest of the season.

While that's possible, I'm almost certain these nine chapters will be released immediately upon launch of KOTET. If you remember with KOTFE, the first nine chapters were also named and we had a little synopsis with regard to what they were about. The other seven were hidden, but we knew they existed at the very least.

This is why I'm inclined to believe there will be more story chapters after these initial nine. As the poster above said, they may be more so "interlude chapters" and not main story chapters, which isn't necessarily a bad idea depending on where BioWare goes with it.

It feels like the 9 chapters will be delivered on a monthly basis since I don't see them delivering everything at once with nothing to do for the rest of the season.

I think this is likely. A chapter or two at launch with the remaining seven or eight then done as monthly releases like we saw in KotFE.

It's possible they'll release all nine at launch and rely on the new Uprisings as repeatable content to keep people playing, but I doubt they're giving up on the "ongoing story chapters as the main reason to stay subscribed" model just yet.

KotFE opened with its nine chapter intro in November. Regular chapter delivery restarted with Ch.10 in February.

We're 8 weeks out from Dec 2. 9 Months from that is August. Seems about right

If BioWare is just going with a monthly chapter release from the very start with just these nine chapters, that's an interesting change in pace. I'm not against that, but it makes me wonder if the chapters will be meatier and if we'll get more companions back in these chapters than we did with KOTFE. There are still quite a few companions who have not returned in nine chapters doesn't give the impression we'll get them all back, as we already know new companions are being introduced.

It's complete speculation at this point until someone at BioWare decides to fill in the gaps left by ambiguous marketing.

Of course it's speculation. That doesn't mean we can't ask. Who knows? Maybe Eric or someone else might answer the question.

KotFE opened with its nine chapter intro in November. Regular chapter delivery restarted with Ch.10 in February.

Except that Chapter 9 of KOTFE didn't end the season whereas Chapter 9 of Eternal Throne will end it as the title and summary are quite explanatory:

Chapter 9 THE ETERNAL THRONE

Clash with the Eternal Empire's strongest forces in the final battle for control of the Eternal Throne.

Last year we got 9 chapters at once because it was like a new beginning for the storyline so starting big was pretty much required but now that things are all set it does make sense to continue with monthly chapters which (not much) coincidentally would take us up to August 2017. I certainly don't expect them to release all of them in december just to have zero story content for one year.

Edited by demotivator

Given the way the marketing is phrased, I'm virtually certain you get these nine chapters at once like KOTFE. The ad clearly says that this package includes two new planets, and if you read the chapter descriptions, you see that two of them introduce new planets (chapters 4 and 7). It would seem pretty deceptive to say that you'll get two new planets if you don't actually get a new planet until March. Rather like telling you you get five new levels, but that doesn't kick in until May, that would be pretty sneaky.

So it's likely this stuff is all specifically talking about 5.0, and that further expansions to the story will come later on. As far as the "final battle" bit, well heck, Arcann's was billed as your "ultimate showdown" with him and then he scarpered off and is likely making a return, so I'm sure that whatever chapter 9 brings hardly closes the door on the eternal throne. It might simply be that the throne is destroyed in the final battle so there's no more throne, and the rest of the season goes on. It might be that you have a puppet ruler on the throne and the rest of the season is how you are using that authority.

Except that Chapter 9 of KOTFE didn't end the season whereas Chapter 9 of Eternal Throne will end it as the title and summary are quite explanatory:

Chapter 9 THE ETERNAL THRONE

Clash with the Eternal Empire's strongest forces in the final battle for control of the Eternal Throne.

Yeah, well, we also thought similar things when chapter XVI was announced. That was rather an anti-climactic ending.

I'm more inclined to share this line of reasoning. I see no reason why BioWare would significantly cut down on the amount of story content. I think it's in their best interest to launch with a bang providing a plethora of chapters at once for players to digest and then slowly prolong the experience over a period of time. If we just get one chapter per month until August of next year, I'm not really sure that's enough story to be justified.

I really enjoyed the first nine chapters of KOTFE and that was largely because I got to experience at the pace I wanted. If BioWare would have released the first nine once a month, I'm not sure the impact would have been the same.

Don't know but there are quite a few companions still AWOL so unless they focus on love interests only that still is not quite enough, my knight would be pissed not to get Kira back, likewise my warrior want his beloved Jaesa.

This is why I'm skeptical of KOTET only consisting of nine chapters. The chapter summaries suggest some of those companions will return, but I doubt they all will. Unless that means we'll have to wait for a third expansion, I'm under the impression BioWare is just revealing what we'll receive with KOTET initially.

I would hope they release all 9 at once. i also do not think that is all the content. I would not be surprised if they dropped chunks of content (like a Ziost) during the rest of the year. Mainly because I didn't notice any chapter that was listed dealing with the capital worlds, which also needs to be addressed.

Yeah this is just something that BioWare needs to provide more clarification on.

If we get all nine chapters at once, then what will we receive for the rest of the year?

If we are only getting one chapter per month, then where exactly is BioWare investing resources to provide the same amount of content KOTFE provided?

There's not necessarily a right or wrong way of doing this, but what I do know is BioWare uses this expansion format to maintain subscriber numbers throughout the year. If we aren't getting more than the initial nine chapters, then BioWare probably will spread them out as there may not be any incentive to remain subscribed if there is only nine chapters and they are released all at once.

Yeah this is just something that BioWare needs to provide more clarification on.

If we get all nine chapters at once, then what will we receive for the rest of the year?

If we are only getting one chapter per month, then where exactly is BioWare investing resources to provide the same amount of content KOTFE provided?

There's not necessarily a right or wrong way of doing this, but what I do know is BioWare uses this expansion format to maintain subscriber numbers throughout the year. If we aren't getting more than the initial nine chapters, then BioWare probably will spread them out as there may not be any incentive to remain subscribed if there is only nine chapters and they are released all at once.

Depends on "how big" Galactic Command and Uprisings are; and what else we get mid-cycle. I forget, when did TEC get annouced? I'm reasonably sure it was announced with Ch.X, not at KotFE launch.

You make a fair point, but I'm also skeptical the monthly chapter approach won't return. The only reason I say this is part of the reason BioWare did it to start was an attempt to prolong the story and spread it out so players would have something to look forward to.

That's not to say BioWare shouldn't also make an attempt to add new group content and other features (they should), but just nine story chapters and then that's it for the year would have KOTET suffer the same shortcomings ROTHC and SOR suffered.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see as more information becomes available.

I suspect that they're trying to get $30 dollars out of people on the way to canceling their subs.