Why such Koth hatred?

JennyFlynn

I'm trying to understand why everyone has such a problem with Koth. I understand from a character immersion/RP perspective especially if you're very DS orientated in your play but this seems to be a general thing across light and dark sides for both Republic and Imperial characters.

Okay yes, he comes across as naive and foolish for praising Valkorion the way he does however, that's the world he grew up in. He was born and raised on Zakuul with Valkorion as their Emperor who, for the people of Zakuul, brought a lot of good and prosperity to their lives. He's a man of honor and duty, having served in the military and only deserting once Arcann took over and he was ordered to do things that went against his personal values and principles. Koth wasn't raised in the part of the galaxy that was constantly engaged in wars, where there was a constant good vs. evil thing going on. This man comes from an entirely different background and history than us 'Outlanders'.

Now imagine you're a LS Jedi Knight and all your life you've believed in the order, in Satele Shan. You respect her, you appreciate her and in your eyes she's a great leader. Then a complete stranger from an entirely different section of the galaxy wanders in and goes "Satele's a sadist, a mad woman and a murderer!".. do you just turn around and go "Oh hey person I barely know, yeah you're so totally right. I mean she's always been wonderful to me and my people but just because you claim she's horrible I'm gonna throw away everything I've ever known and believed in and agree that she's a terror who needs to be stopped permanently". Silly, right? Yet that's basically what most of us seem to expect from Koth right now.

He throws a hissy fit because you won't attempt to save the innocent people working in the Spire when Vaylin's rigged it to blow or whatever. Granted it's Vaylin's fault and technically you don't owe them a damn. They're strangers to you so whatever but to Koth they're his fellow citizens, possibly people he's grown up with.. no matter what you do in the situation, if you choose to let it blow.. yeah, it's understandable that he's upset about it.

Killing innocent people when you take the DS choice with Kaliyo in C10.. that's a choice and entirely your own responsibility. You deliberately make the choice to let hundreds of innocent people die, effectively taking their lives for what? Revenge, getting even, for all the years you've lost. Newsflash, the people of Zakuul may be naive twits living the good life but they're not responsible for what happened to you. Just because they don't know the truth, don't know any better doesn't mean their lives are yours to throw away and end so Koth, again being a native Zakuulan himself, has every right to be upset about it. Once more you're talking about a man who deserted the army he once believed in because he couldn't bring himself to murder innocent civilians from YOUR world. People he didn't have to care about at all but did.

I'll agree he could stand to keep his Valkorion praising rambles to himself rather than throw it in your face all the time but overall.. I don't think he's a bad guy and he's not dis likable. His biggest 'flaw' is that he doesn't realize that not everyone can be saved, that sometimes tough choices have to be made and sometimes those choices will be at the expense of people who don't deserve it but again... WE already know this, we've lived it 'growing up' in OUR part of the galaxy. Koth hasn't. He may learn over time as some things you just need to experience it to finally 'see the light'.

That's just my 2 cents.. or ramble. But I'd like to know, what reason do people have for disliking him so badly? Is there something I'm not seeing or considering?

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I have with Koth is that he refuses to listen to any reason about how Valkorian may not be such a good guy. Even with Senya, who was *********** married to the guy and had kids with him, he sneers at her because she isn't downright fanatical. I think that's the problem I have with Koth. He's a Valkorian fanatic, who won't listen to any reason about how Valkorian wasn't such a great guy.

And I can understand him being upset with the DS choices, especially when they hurt his people, but he thinks there are two ways to approach any problem: His way, or the wrong way. He doesn't advise you on anything. He basically tells you "You are wrong for not doing what I say."

He has always been a selfish jerk (IMHO) and he comes across as a big baby. He has always rubbed me the wrong way and I can only HOPE I can shove him out an airlock.

The blue haired freak we went to rescue (I forgot her name) rubs me the same way and I would have loved the option to also shove her out an airlock.

I enjoyed killing Tanno Vik

Other people I want to shove out an airlock - Corso, Skadge, Quinn, Jorgan and Saresh.

KALIYO I WANT TO SHOVE HER INTO A RANCOR!

Koth is just the latest in a small group of people that are completely unlikable and seriously needing a blaster bolt to the head.

My issue with Koth is he does not listen to opposite sides of the coin, he is totally blinded by how wonderful and amazing he perceives Zakuul and their former Emperor, yet he wont listen to an outside opinion that Valkorian was in fact a homicidal maniac bent on consuming our part of the galaxy. My other issue is the destruction of Korriban and other worlds in the initial invasion led by Thexan, which resulted in deaths of both the Empire and Republic, yet when we kill Zakuulans or destroy parts of Zakuul, Koth throws a fit. Edited by Darth_Exar

I don't hate Koth, I just did not find much reasons to care about him so far. So he is somehwere along the levels of Corso, Rusk and Iresso for me. Not a total ******e like Quinn or Skadge, just a "eh, okay, I guess you have your uses" person.

I'm with you there; he's nowhere near a favorite but I carry no hatred for the man either. Actually romanced him on my boosted char cos I felt bad for him lol. For me personally, I think it's also the fact that I have far more history with say Lana and Theron. Through Manaan, Rishi, Yavin and Ziost. Koth and Senya are the new kids and though they're trying to open up to us and share some parts of their life, they're not quite at a point yet where I truly care. Senya's just more quiet and objective, she's experienced more.

The problem I have with Koth is that he refuses to listen to any reason about how Valkorian may not be such a good guy. Even with Senya, who was *********** married to the guy and had kids with him, he sneers at her because she isn't downright fanatical. I think that's the problem I have with Koth. He's a Valkorian fanatic, who won't listen to any reason about how Valkorian wasn't such a great guy.

And I can understand him being upset with the DS choices, especially when they hurt his people, but he thinks there are two ways to approach any problem: His way, or the wrong way. He doesn't advise you on anything. He basically tells you "You are wrong for not doing what I say."

Pretty much this.

Koth, and as we see in Chapter 10, all Zakuul people, lives in this magical rainbow utopia land in his head. It was only when he was ordered wanton slaughter of civilians that he got cold feet. When those civilians were collateral damage (as with all wars), doesn't seem to bother him, because they aren't from his magical rainbow utopia.

I honestly can't wait to see Zakuul burn.

I "hate" him because he is so devoted to worshipping at, and polishing that pedestal he has Valkorian on, he adamantly refuses to give a damn about anything but his own perceptions & "people".

Everyone not Zakuluan be damned.

Mr "I dont care that the wonderul fell from the heavens and blessed us Zakulians with his glorious presence Valkorian killed BILLIONS of your people. They werent MY people after all. " can just keep flying away in that shuttle of his right out of wild space into a black hole.

I "hate" him because he is so devoted to worshipping at, and polishing that pedestal he has Valkorian on, he adamantly refuses to give a damn about anything but his own perceptions & "people".

Mr "I dont care that the wonderul fell from the heavens and blessed us Zakulians with his glorious presence Valkorian killed BILLIONS of your people. They werent MY people after all. " can just keep flying away in that shuttle of his right out of wild space into a black hole.

Does the Outlander ever get to directly and explicitly tell him off on those grounds?

and yet you and many others killed off innocent Zakulaans because, "They were notYour people after all."

You're more like koth than you care to accept I bet.

and yet you and many others killed off innocent Zakulaans because, "They were notYour people after all."

You're more like koth than you care to accept I bet.

Nah, that fell under the "**** happens without more nuanced options" category.

Edited by Joesixxpack