Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Allow Augs & Armor Amps to increment gear score

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Allow Augs & Armor Amps to increment gear score

Deathblow
02.26.2021 , 08:26 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by mike_carton View Post
The later of the legacy Operations - even in SM - have DPS checks that are not easy with random 306 gear. VM and MM Ops absolutely require at least 228 augments, with Dxun requiring 276+ augments. Amplifiers can provide up to 9+% percent additional damage or 20+% of armor reduction or .... So, iRating of 306 is not enough. Many guild Ops groups and ad hoc Discord Ops groups require players with higher gear requirements than mere 306.

In spite of what the OP says, this gear requirement is needed for doing these Ops. Currently players are already excluded if their gear does not meet these levels; it is done by specifying the requirement before recruiting and then manually examining each person's gear and stats once they join the Ops group. Making that information available automatically through the game interface will be a huge QoL improvement for Operations Leaders and teams.

This is not elitism; it is just the necessity of having to be geared to run the harder content. It is a simple fact that a VM Styrak (boss from a legacy operation) has a DPS check that is brutal and impossible for people in random, unaugmented 306 gear, as an example.

I support this idea.
Thank you for explaining it so well and for contributing these real examples. Indeed the augs and amps provide such a huge swing that it's almost like comparing lvl 306 vs 268 gear. With equally skilled players, the difference is substantial.

I'd also like to bring up the impact to expansion content. The next release of gear will likely start at 307 and up. For a maxed out 306 player with augs and amps, it may not be worth upgrading gear until getting lvl325 gear. However, there's no quick way to make that determination using just gear rating.

DragonSire
02.26.2021 , 08:48 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Deathblow View Post
Thank you for explaining it so well and for contributing these real examples. Indeed the augs and amps provide such a huge swing that it's almost like comparing lvl 306 vs 268 gear. With equally skilled players, the difference is substantial.
So it would be in fact used for the purpose of quickly determining if gear met a certain level, and excluding people if they didn't. Not a fan. Requiring players to play specific builds, tacts, rotations etc...would suck the life right out of play for me. Those that like that kind of strict play have at it, but no thanks.

However if you were going to do this : Since iRating is an average of gear level it would still not go above 306, it would just make the averages lower. So you would need a second rating say...a286 specifically for your example. So i306/a286 or something.
"Reality is Boring"

Deathblow
02.26.2021 , 09:03 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonSire View Post
So it would be in fact used for the purpose of quickly determining if gear met a certain level, and excluding people if they didn't. Not a fan. Requiring players to play specific builds, tacts, rotations etc...would suck the life right out of play for me. Those that like that kind of strict play have at it, but no thanks.

However if you were going to do this : Since iRating is an average of gear level it would still not go above 306, it would just make the averages lower. So you would need a second rating say...a286 specifically for your example. So i306/a286 or something.
Hey thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I see things the same way. Again I'm not arguing right/wrong here but let's see how this plays out...

With content, most lvl75 players still have comfortable access to enjoy 90-95% of the game's content without worrying. I think in terms of accessibility, this is very reasonable and it won't suddenly exclude more people. We see evidence of this in many SM Ops where it's no big deal to have even lvl70 players present. So in most existing ops, it won't change much either from the status quo.

Personally i've yet to see anyone recruit for nightmare mode ops in fleet chat. But if you're able to quickly gauge gear scores for suitability, even more people might actually get a chance to experience challenges that they would not have otherwise been able to try out.

my 2 cents.

xordevoreaux
02.27.2021 , 07:05 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Deathblow View Post
But if you're able to quickly gauge gear scores for suitability, even more people might actually get a chance to experience challenges that they would not have otherwise been able to try out.
my 2 cents.
The next step in such an evolution would be people screaming on the forums to have ops filters that ensure the only people in the queue with them are 306/286. Not exactly a way to give more people a chance.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
Play the Electronic Arts game Sims4 much? Need a new schmazzy fireplace retexture or really classy piano update?
Check out my Sims4 mods on Nexus.

mike_carton
02.27.2021 , 07:50 PM | #15
It is no fun to get into Gods or Dxun with under-geared characters. Izax won't recognize a group finder PUG and adjust accordingly. The screening for Set Bonus and augments is already happening where applicable and needed. This suggestion just helps as a QoL feature.
Click this SWTOR link to create an account or log in and we both earn rewards (7-day Free Subscription, 1 Free Server Transfer, Free JumpStart or Preferred Bundles).

hof_th
02.28.2021 , 10:00 AM | #16
The screening for Set Bonus and augments is already happening where applicable and needed.
No disagrees with that but it would also be used to exclude players in easier content. We already have people demanding that you need to be 306 gear for MM Flashpoints for which you can start queueing at lvl 70, sure you need better gear the harder they get but that imho is something that needs to be coded into group finder.

This suggestion just helps as a QoL feature.
I'm not sure that this feature would help as much as you think with a PUG. For example my Maras/Sentinels would show 306/276 whether they wear their DPS gear or the Tank set of my Juggs, so one would still need to check every player for reasonable gear before tackling harder content.