Sanctum of the Exalted opinions?

Frigidman

I wanted to prod the members of this server for their open opinions about it.

• Generally speaking, what have you witnessed with it's community?
  • What is your overall feel for what you see goes on in global chat?
  • How is your guild that you are a part of (if in one)?
  • Does the server feel like a "warzone-centric" or "rp-centric" player base?
  • Have you witnessed many RP events?
  • Would you personally rate the server as more hard-core RP, or casual?

Any opinion is ok and not wrong. Go with your gut feelings, and express your love/hate/neutrality.

Edited by Frigidman

So far from I've seen--since people are still leveling and experiencing the story arcs--its mostly questions about the game and mechanics, those few nice people helping them, but mostly its the usual bashing, crude and often immature jokes and harsh treatment of others. I'm hoping it'll change (this is mostly in the general chat), or I'll do like I do in any other MMO, just turn off the chat till I find like-minded people.

Good luck in there.

Questing and leveling, yeah. Lots of people are just getting to know the game, and see the sights. So much content is out there (I feel sorry for those who have never seen anything more then the warzones).

Also I know a lot of RP'rs are holding off till chat bubbles show up, as they are struggling right now without them.

I was more interested in how the community felt though on the Sanctum. Is it just like any other? Where the who list is a 50/50 mix of BS names and normal? General chat trolled on a 24/7 basis, or do people treat their own faction with respect?

That sort of thing.

I originally started on a PvE server and encountered the typical Internet behavior that poor online communities are known for. SotE has been fantastic so far by comparision. People are friendly, competent, and mostly helpful. Most people can even speak in complete sentences and manage to communicate without starting and ending every thought with "lol".

There seem to be a number of solid guilds on both factions and at least on the Republic side, things are very active. All in all, I'm very happy with my decision to reroll here.

Take that for what it's worth.

I'm going to try playing on this server from now on, and see how it goes. I'm put off by the RP-PvP server I was playing on... it seems to be nothing but warzone junkies, or gankers. Why roll on an RP server if their behavior better suits a standard pvp server? Oh well. My mistake ;)

I wanted to prod the members of this server for their open opinions about it.

• Generally speaking, what have you witnessed with it's community?

The community is highly variable. You have some folks that are into RP and act with the appropriateness for their character.

On the other hand, you have characters named things like "Kaythanks" and "Rickrollftw" and guilds like "Jedi Jerks" and "Spaceballs the Guild".

Some folks are polite, and queue up to wait on boss respawns or offer to group. Other folks will ninja the objective while you're cleaning up the last mob, or do nothing but "ninnyjump" (jump for no other reason than to be visually distracting) while waiting in a PvP queue.

In short, it's probably a lot like other servers.

• What is your overall feel for what you see goes on in global chat?

If you're the kind of person that hates global chat, you should turn it off. I leave it in a seperate tab and hardly ever look at it.

• How is your guild that you are a part of (if in one)?

I belong to a mature RP guild. I think we're nice folks. There are a bunch of GLs that are on the SotE FB page and SotE server forum and we all talk. They all seem like good people. There has been some coordination between GLs in dealing with problematic players. This means that at the meta-level, there are some guilds who will deal with people in their group that are being jerks. That tends to keep the guilded population civil.

• Does the server feel like a "warzone-centric" or "rp-centric" player base?

I think RP-centric, but that's a very subjective measure.

• Have you witnessed many RP events?

Yes. I've seen troopers salute my PC and Jedi bow to my PC when I randomly help them as I'm passing by (I almost always /salute anyone who bestows a random buff or helps me with a bad guy).

I've overheard very RP cool conversations in several cantinas.

When I start some light RP by saying things like "After you, Master Jedi..." to some random who's waiting on a boss respawn, I 've had some folks ignore me (which is cool) and some folks totally take the bait and will talk to me IC.

• Would you personally rate the server as more hard-core RP, or casual?

This is my only server, so I don't have a basis for comparison. In what I've seen so far, on a "global" (all games) spectrum, I would classify it as light RP with completely-voluntary pockets of deeper RP that are generally the product of guild activities.

Here's the SotE group page on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/245768995490030/

And also, there's the SotE dedicated server forum

http://sanctumoftheexalted.tk/

These are great places to try to connect with other players.

Paige

Thanks for that long reply. So far I've been playing here, and its been a lot better then the RP-PvP server I came from. Funny you should mention those two character names above... they break Item #11 of Section D on the Rules of Conduct.

I've been making note of guilds with decent players in them. Also making note of a couple guilds who had some jerks in global chat being rude to people for no good reasons. Slowly building a feel for who to respect in the field, and who to ignore.

Thanks again for the info.

Generally speaking, what have you witnessed with it's community?

I would say standard fare with mature folks and immature folks. For every nice player you'll meet you will also run into LOL-ers who grief.

What is your overall feel for what you see goes on in global chat?

Same as above. Global chat has the full spectrum of everything.

Does the server feel like a "warzone-centric" or "rp-centric" player base?

I think it's more game-centric as players move from content to content. I am always in character when running around and some players have responded back in character and others ignored.

Have you witnessed many RP events?

Yes around Cantinas and Fleets.

Would you personally rate the server as more hard-core RP, or casual?

I've only played on this server so can't compare but based on previous games (I am from RP servers in EQ2 and LOTRO) I would say this is casual RP. However I think this is more due to the limitations of the game as I think additional features would really help RP. IE, LOTRO has musical instruments, chat bubbles, the famous Prancing Pony etc.

I've heard this is one of the few servers with a sizable Republic population compared to the Empire, as opposed to being outnumbered 20 to 1 on any given planet. Any truth to that?

Haven't gotten deep enough into the contested areas to see Empire players. Didn't see ONE in the nar shadaa pavilion though, but its not really a decent hub of activity either.

Not a big fan of warzones, so I don't know what its like there, however since each team is even numbers, its not a good way to judge :/

I've heard this is one of the few servers with a sizable Republic population compared to the Empire, as opposed to being outnumbered 20 to 1 on any given planet. Any truth to that?

http://www.swtorprogress.com/members.php

These guys have taken the info from the SWTOR site and broken it down demographically (and made it a helluvalot easier to read). Of course, we all know how people are about changing their minds, and a lot of these are from free accounts that may evaporate once the system is limited to paying customers only... but it's interesting data.

==CAVEAT EMPTOR== this data was *launch day* data so a lot has happened since then.

Worldwide, Empire outnumbers Republic 275k to 186k. (About 60% Empire)

Worldwide, on RP servers Republic outnumbers Empire 30k to 26k (About 54% Republic)

Worldwide, on PvE servers Empire outnumbers Republic 114k to 89k (About 56% Empire)

Worldwide, on PvP servers Empire outnumbers Republic 136k to 67k (About 67% Empire)

So lets look at our local population in US East:

In the US East Empire outnumbers Republic 116k to 80k (About 59% Empire)

In the US East on PvE servers Empire outnumbers Republic 49k to 39k (About 55% Empire)

In the US East on PvP servers Empire outnumbers Republic 57k to 28k (About 67% Empire)

In the US East on RP servers Republic outnumbers Empire 13k to 10k (About 57% Republic)

So, if you find Republic is outnumbered by Empire, you migh consider switching to a RP-PvE server...

Paige