Ideas for making Flashpoints not useless after in columi

So, my friends and I were talking, and we realized that there is no real point to doing flashpoints after you are geared out in all columi. We thought this was kind of unfair because with battlemaster and war hero, all you have to do is play the same thing over and over. Whereas to get rakata gear you need be in an op. So we were thinking that there has got to be a way to make flashpoints useful for people that are decently geared. Here are a couple ideas that we had, please comment on which you think is best or any other ideas and maybe bioware will implement something....if we are lucky.

1. Make a weekly that requires you to do all of the hm fps and have the reward be a vanity pet, or black hole coms, or rakata token, something. It can change each week too, just to make it interesting, and to keep people doing them constantly. (submitted by Arius)

2. Make a nightmare version of the flashpoint in which it drops the corresponding Rakata peice. However to make this a more intersting fight add a new mechanic to the final boss fight so people dont just blow through these easily. (submitted by Katara)

Hey OP you might be in luck. I can't remember where this was mentioned (perhaps the Q&A or the official podcast but they said that with the introduction of group finders in 1.3, they are adding special incentives for players who use the group finder to queue up random flashpoints. I am guessing this might be a commendation system where you can purchase some nice gear or vanity items!

Sorry but making it so being can get tier 2 geared (black hole) from tier 1 flashpoints is a terrible idea. The current flashpoints, aside from LI, are meant to get you geared for Tier 1 raiding and they accomplish there goal. I'd be fine with vanity pets or another new mount or something but not tier 2 stuff. Edited by TheRealCandyMan

Sorry but making it so being can get tier 2 geared (black hole) from tier 1 flashpoints is a terrible idea. The current flashpoints, aside from LI, are meant to get you geared for Tier 1 raiding and they accomplish there goal. I'd be fine with vanity pets or another new mount or something but not tier 2 stuff.

What? You can get Tier 2 (black hole) gear just from doing the Corelia weekly. How would making them drop from each HM FP possibly be worse than that if you think it should be gated?

Have a weekly quest to complete say 3 HM FPs to reward 6 Black Hole commendations - would certainly get people doing FPs again!

And FPs certainly don't accomplish their goal of getting people geared for Tier 1 raiding. It is much better to actually do the T1 raids to get T1 gear and ignore FPs completley!

So completley agree with the OP - reason for doing HM FPs would be nice :)

It's a good thing all those people playing WoW realized that this was a problem a couple years ago. Then Blizzard was smart enough to do something and make the dungeons worthwhile for people to run after they didn't need any gear from them.

It's a real shame that Bioware didn't bother to look to other games, see the mistakes and fixes they made, then just skip the mistakes part straight to implementing intelligent features. For some reason, Bioware seems content make those same mistakes and reinvent the wheel.

I really had fun playing this game at first, but when I see blunders that other games already made then fixed, and Bioware decides to make them again, I just have to wonder what's going on...

Edited by Ritterific
spelling

It's a good thing all those people playing WoW realized that this was a problem a couple years ago. Then Blizzard was smart enough to do something and make the dungeons worthwhile for people to run after they didn't need any gear from them.

It's a real shame that Bioware didn't bother to look to other games, see the mistakes and fixes they made, then just skip the mistakes part straight to implementing intelligent features. For some reason, Bioware seems content make those same mistakes and reinvent the wheel.

I really had fun playing this game at first, but when I see blunders that other games already made then fixed, and Bioware decides to make them again, I just have to wonder what's going on...

For some reason you seem to be treating the game like its 7 years old. Have some patience.

Edited by Wekeltes

For some reason you seem to be treating the game like its 7 years old. Have some patience.

AND YET AGAIN we have this tiring response to the BW fiasco. He is NOT talking about a game that is 7 years old. He is talking about a company that should have used 7 years of MMO experience in other games and figured out the BASICS of what worked and didn't work and combined them into something fantastic

Seriously - don't call a person with at least a reasonable amount of anger and frustration at BW a noob because they rightly believe that this MMO KILLER as it was announced would have at least taken the time and energy to create a step forward. Anyone who honestly thinks SWTOR has introduced anything novel, unique, or best of breed is dillusional!

I am playing this game and enjoy(ed) playing it but cannot overcome my overwhelming feeling if disapppointment that they simply focused on the wrong things in development and then screwed the operational roll-out so it has a much higher percentage than 50% of being dead in a year than lasting the so called 7 year benchmark.

Plain and simple - it's like the design team completely ignored all the amazing features of other games that could have been incorporated into this game and came out with same-old same-old with a different cover

Edited by Parali
bad quote

Sorry but making it so being can get tier 2 geared (black hole) from tier 1 flashpoints is a terrible idea. The current flashpoints, aside from LI, are meant to get you geared for Tier 1 raiding and they accomplish there goal. I'd be fine with vanity pets or another new mount or something but not tier 2 stuff.

And yet you forget that you can get Black Hole Commendations from content that isn't even in the Tier progression? The Corellia dailies for the weekly are 1-2 mannable, including the Heroic 4, take less than an hour, and give you Black Hole Commendations. That is easier, less work, and more rewarding than Tier 1 Hardmode Flashpoints. I am in a full Rakata/Blackhole mix right now and I absolutely think that this is a good idea IF they add it to the weekly. Getting Black Hole Commendations from the Dailies or per Flashpoint would be a terrible idea but getting 4-6 from the Weekly wouldn't hurt anything and actually get more people running those Hardmodes again so people that are trying to run them for gear can actually have people to run them with.

What? You can get Tier 2 (black hole) gear just from doing the Corelia weekly. How would making them drop from each HM FP possibly be worse than that if you think it should be gated?

Have a weekly quest to complete say 3 HM FPs to reward 6 Black Hole commendations - would certainly get people doing FPs again!

And FPs certainly don't accomplish their goal of getting people geared for Tier 1 raiding. It is much better to actually do the T1 raids to get T1 gear and ignore FPs completley!

So completley agree with the OP - reason for doing HM FPs would be nice :)

This.

I've been telling people in my guild for months to not bother getting geared with FPs. Just attend normal mode Ops instead and they'll get geared faster that way (better time investment).

AND YET AGAIN we have this tiring response to the BW fiasco. He is NOT talking about a game that is 7 years old. He is talking about a company that should have used 7 years of MMO experience in other games and figured out the BASICS of what worked and didn't work and combined them into something fantastic

Seriously - don't call a person with at least a reasonable amount of anger and frustration at BW a noob because they rightly believe that this MMO KILLER as it was announced would have at least taken the time and energy to create a step forward. Anyone who honestly thinks SWTOR has introduced anything novel, unique, or best of breed is dillusional!

I am playing this game and enjoy(ed) playing it but cannot overcome my overwhelming feeling if disapppointment that they simply focused on the wrong things in development and then screwed the operational roll-out so it has a much higher percentage than 50% of being dead in a year than lasting the so called 7 year benchmark.

Plain and simple - it's like the design team completely ignored all the amazing features of other games that could have been incorporated into this game and came out with same-old same-old with a different cover

I think you over look the fact that first a game has to be built. Then these features have to be built for the game. Yes many games have many great features but the initial systems have to be built in optimized then those additional great features will come. You do realize that there isnt some universal base mmo game layout. Havent people figured it out that there is a reason so many games are released in the exact same state? You think they are really that stupid to not want to get certain features in game?

Back on topic. i would like to see alternate boss fights in HMs or alternate pathing to mix it up a bit. i like the idea of running them for vanity items such as mounts , armor, and crafting items.

There already is a weekly to complete 2 HM FPs and get 6 Black Hole commendations...

So you can get 12 a week without doing any Operations. The first boss of Explosive Conflict is also very easy so most groups should be able to handle it (and then the trash and chest) for another 6. So, 18 a week without actually needing to do any real raiding. I think that is quite enough as you don't need the gear if you aren't trying to do harder content.

They really need to do something to make doing the flashpoints worthwhile time investment. Why is pvp progression so much easier than PVE? You can AFK and get everything in PVP but in PVE if you don't have 7 other people who can down a boss and you get hours of wasted time.

Was thinking that the days of punishing players who play the game were in the past but seems like they keep reviving them. :p

I like the idea of adding incentives for doing FP. Had an idea while reading through this that takes a slight twist on some of the ideas presented.

Add flashpoint commendations. With these commendations, you could have the choice of converting them to Daily Commendations, BH commendations, or additional pets/vehicles/titles that are only available via FP commendations. This would allow people to use them for whatever suits their interests most and give them plenty of reason to continue doing them for purchases that you are exclusive to running FPs. (I had originally considered suggesting to have them reward Daily comms and the ability to buy BH comms from there, but there are so many ways to earn Daily commendations that it's flooded at this point and I think it would be better served kept separate).

However it's done, I agree with the OP that BW should add incentive to continue running FPs. The Achievement quest for the Aratech Ice got me out there into some FP I haven't run in ages, but it's not enough of an incentive for sustained interest in running FP more often.

I think the coms should be only for empty shell orange. I think the coms vendors should have sets of orange added to them for variety. I think I like eq2's way of doing loot on boss mobs. Each mob in a dungeon in eq2 has it's own specific loot table. (or had. I've not played it in forever) The monsters in the flashpoints can drop a very wide range of stuff. I think people would want to run the flashpoints more often if they had a chance at an uber piece of loot. Sure, it might be disappointing to not get it right off the bat the first time or even the fifth time you run it, but that is the charm in it also. It makes people want to go. When they do get it they get a feeling like they just won the lottery. I hope this makes sense. I just think it would work better and keep people running flashpoints. make the loot that drops also be mod-able, so you can pull the mods and stuff out of it for the appearance gear you can buy with the coms.

Just want to say that the FPs are completely useless if you have an OPs ready guild.

Just hit 50 get the recruit gear and go to HM OPs with no more than 4 alts (we did it with 2 recruit tanks and DSP) you all will be rakata geared in a week with no time wasted in pointless FPs.

If you are all below rakata - get the recruit gear and do a few normal mode OPs.

Edited by DarthKaras

I like the nightmare mode on SELECT FLASHPOINTS.

If you cay look me dead in the eyes and say "I did nightmare lost island" i will be in shock and awe.

If you release a new aratach achievement speeder bike, for doing all nightmares; that would be awesome!

There already is a weekly to complete 2 HM FPs and get 6 Black Hole commendations...

So you can get 12 a week without doing any Operations. The first boss of Explosive Conflict is also very easy so most groups should be able to handle it (and then the trash and chest) for another 6. So, 18 a week without actually needing to do any real raiding. I think that is quite enough as you don't need the gear if you aren't trying to do harder content.

That's a bit misleading as the Weekly is to comple a specific 2 HMs viz Kaon and Lost Island which doesn't really help the problem for those wanting a reason to do the other FPs.

It would make other FPs (e.g. the majority) worth running if the weekly was a selection from any HM FP.

And I would strongly dispute the claim that the first bosses in EC are in any way "easy". They are by far harder than any of EV and KPs HM bosses and a group of non-raiders would struggle on them. The only way you can find them "easy" is if you already are a "real" raider and are pretty nicely geared already.

Anywho the OP wasn't specifically referring to Black hole commendations just the idea that all HM FPs should be kept relevant for all level 50s.

As another poster has said at the moment the majority of HM FPs had lost their usefullness to me after only 2 or 3 Story mode EV runs. Even if you are unlucky with drops most people can get a full Columi set by doing a nice, fun, quick EV run in under 90mins so where is the incentive to slog through HM FPs on the off chance the last boss might drop something useful? Especially then considering that HM EV is not a huge step up and drops better gear than anything HM FPs have to offer...

Edited by The_Butler

So, my friends and I were talking, and we realized that there is no real point to doing flashpoints after you are geared out in all columi. We thought this was kind of unfair because with battlemaster and war hero, all you have to do is play the same thing over and over. Whereas to get rakata gear you need be in an op. So we were thinking that there has got to be a way to make flashpoints useful for people that are decently geared. Here are a couple ideas that we had, please comment on which you think is best or any other ideas and maybe bioware will implement something....if we are lucky.

1. Make a weekly that requires you to do all of the hm fps and have the reward be a vanity pet, or black hole coms, or rakata token, something. It can change each week too, just to make it interesting, and to keep people doing them constantly. (submitted by Arius)

2. Make a nightmare version of the flashpoint in which it drops the corresponding Rakata peice. However to make this a more intersting fight add a new mechanic to the final boss fight so people dont just blow through these easily. (submitted by Katara)

To be honest, if you can get 8 players together there is no reason, loot wise, to do HMs at all. EV story mode is much easier than some HM FPs and you get geared up substantially faster than running HM FPs. Both of my alts I got geared in full columi in 2 weeks from EV and KP story mode runs.

But I do like the two ideas posted.