How to defeat Tayvor Slen KOTFE chapter X

CricketHiveWing

I used the token to skip straight to KOTFE and now I’m on Chapter X. The boss, Tayvor Slen, is pretty much impossible to defeat. I’ve been killed by him at least ten times. Both my character and the companion are in double defense mode. What will help me beat him?

You need to click on the long computer consoles when the Zakuul dropship appears and shoots through the glass, as this will reprogram the droids in that dropship to target the adds and break Tavor's shield. Remember, objects that you can interact with turn light blue and flicker slowly and subtly. Watch for when the console becomes clickable and then click on it.

Don't stand in his AoE circles on the ground.

First of all make sure you are in STORY mode, not Veteran or Master, those are considerably more difficult. Make sure you have some gear :) there is no bolster in KOTFE or KOTET.

As it was already mentioned you need to click the consoles when they become available. If you have trouble surviving set the companion into heal spec that should keep you up, but you need to deal with the adds cause they obstruct the companion the most. Make use of Heroic Moment and Unity (50% damage reduction).

In the worst case, you can ask a friend to help you. You make a group, enter the instance and then you can summon the group members into your instance to help you.

You need to click on the long computer consoles when the Zakuul dropship appears and shoots through the glass, as this will reprogram the droids in that dropship to target the adds and break Tavor's shield. Remember, objects that you can interact with turn light blue and flicker slowly and subtly. Watch for when the console becomes clickable and then click on it.

Don't stand in his AoE circles on the ground.

I’ve done that but it doesn’t work. And the circles follow you around

It doesn’t say tank anywhere so I’m not sure what you mean

Your companion can be set to 3 different modes - tank, dps, or heal. (Clicky at bottom of your comp's portrait**.)

It's suggested that you set the companion to "heal".

** The clicky will be green if the comp is set to heal, red if set to dps, and blue if set to tank.

Edited by JediQuaker

I’ve done that but it doesn’t work. And the circles follow you around

You are supposed to keep moving. This encounter doesn’t have a “time limit” or an “enrage timer” where if you don’t defeat the boss in X amount of time it enrages and does double damage to you until you or it are dead. You have all the time in the world to defeat him. Furthermore, there’s no point to attacking him when his shield is up as he is immune to all damage.

My guess is that you don’t have your Kaliyo companion set to heal you. Change it so that she does heal you and then just make sure to keep moving when the circles are spawning.

I recommend setting your companion to heal. This can be done by right clicking the companion portrait and select change role then set it to heal. After that you should make sure the difficulty is set to "story". This can be done by going to your Mission Log ( L by Default) and selecting your quest. Then on the bottom you can see three difficulties. Select story, it is the easiest. Then in the quest kill the Skytroopers as soon as they spawn.

If its still to hard you should get better gear. You can do this 2 ways if you already hit level 70 you can do Flashpoints, Warzones, Dailies, etc. (Basically everything found in the activities tab (Strg+G by Default). This will get you CXP which will give you Command Crates if you level up, gear can be found in these crates but you have to get lucky. You can also go to the fleet and in the "Supplies" section buy better gear for Command Token and Unassembled Components (Found by doing Warzones and disintegrating gear form command Crates).

If you're not Level 70 you can go to the fleet and buy modifications in the supplies section or from the GTN, but the best gear comes from buying it at level 70 for unassembled components.

Hope this helped you.

-MaxiSmith

I absolutely would not advise any player to spend unassembled components on any gear other than Masterwork Data Crystals on Ossus... not since 5.10 and certainly not now with 6.0 due in September. Better gear may help any individual player, but the story mode of KOTFE chapter 10 was originally designed for a level 65 player with only an influence rank 1 Kaliyo. Players will naturally upgrade their gear from command crates well beyond what is needed for story mode chapters. All UCs should be saved for the conversion to MasDCs, and honestly that’s only if you care about having a slight edge in gear going into 6.0. So my advice to the OP is to verify that you have your Kaliyo set to heal you, avoid the circles, and use the terminals.

In fact, OP, you’ll probably do better giving Weapon-type companion gifts to Kaliyo to boost her influence rank and therefore her healing/damage output. If you don’t have a ton of the Rank 5 purple artifact or rank 6 gold legendary weapon-type comp gifts you can go to the vendor on the fleet that sells rank 1 and 2 gifts and get them very cheaply. It takes 457 rank 1 gifts (if you have the Legacy of Altruism 1, 2, and 3 character perks from your legacy window) to get from rank 1 to rank 20, and rank 20 is considered the starting point for master mode chapters so it’s overkill for story mode. Even just 195 of them gets you to rank 15 which should be more than enough.

EDIT: rank 1 gifts cost 200 credits so 195 of them will be only 39k. You can easily earn that with a couple of planetary heroics. Of course that doesn’t include the one time cost of the legacy perk which is something you should get anyway.

Edited by phalczen

• 2 months later...
I'm pretty sure Master mode Tayvor Slen is harder now than he was a couple of years ago. I doubt the OP is trying in Master, but for anyone who is as of today...it's nearly impossible. YouTubers who recorded videos of it are not taking as much damage as either my Assassin or Mercenary are right now. (Both have item level 246 with 240 augments). Edited by RageFury

I'm pretty sure Master mode Tayvor Slen is harder now than he was a couple of years ago. I doubt the OP is trying in Master, but for anyone who is as of today...it's nearly impossible. YouTubers who recorded videos of it are not taking as much damage as either my Assassin or Mercenary are right now. (Both have item level 246 with 240 augments).

Item level 246? Is that MK-4 or MK-3? MK-4 adds more Endurance at the expense of less Power and Mastery, which will reduce your outgoing damage.

Item level 246? Is that MK-4 or MK-3? MK-4 adds more Endurance at the expense of less Power and Mastery, which will reduce your outgoing damage.

I think you mean MK-2; there's no MK-3 gear on the GTN, at least. Also...I beat this guy on the first attempt after switching to tank spec, while remaining in the same DPS gear. It's absurd how big of a difference switching to tank spec is for this fight as an Assassin.