The Cartel Market killed my speeder sales

Thylbanus

A guild mate and I were lamenting the flood of scaleable speeders that has recently hit the GTN from the Cartel Packs. They are so common or unpopular that they are sold for less than the cost to can make our speeders. I'm sure that areas have been hit as well. The Cartel Market also hit the Cybertechs in the mods department. Being able to purchase artifact (purple) modded gear means that at level 15 you have mods that will serve you until level 20 at least. Practically eliminating the need for level 15-21 mods. Then it levels out until level 31 then repeats, exempt it hits again at 41. This has severely hit Cybertech bank accounts.

While I like much of the CCM, the effect on the market has been desastrous for Cybertechs. At least with Armormechs and Synthweaver, there is a style to work with. I would be all for a reduction in price with the elimination of the mods associated with these items. This treads uncomfortably into the pay to win area. While there has been no end game gear (and hopefully never will), it has sent the market into a tailspin for some of us that don't quite have that skill level yet.

I sympathise with you.

The cartel shop screwed up a lot of things; e.g. making items and features that players spend hours and hours to achieve unlockable in a sec with CCs, making gear that people spend hours and hours to craft more or less redundant and thus worthless on the GTN etc.

But I guess we have to remember that the cartel shop and F2P is in a way a desperate move to save the game from completely shutting down. So in way, we all have to carry the burden of the patient, and cross our fingers that he will even survive. Then concern ourselves with the unbalances created by the cartel shop and F2P afterwards.

Still, I do understand your frustration. I just think you have to remember, the cartel shop and F2P was a matter of SWTOR being close to shutting down. At least he's still breathing. For now.

Edited by Andge

It makes perfect sense. He complained that he can't make money anymore, and then he accused Bioware of pay to win. Just like I said.

You forgot to include "to try to get my way"....which makes no sense, as there is nothing in OP's comment about him trying to get his way.

So again, your comment makes no sense.

Biggest problem I see isn't speeder sales. It's anything purple!

Used to be that you couldn't sell regular gear because it's everywhere and drops easily. You could craft and GTN the good stuff!! But...f2pers can't equip the good stuff...

Actually blue had no market at all due to daily 51 mods, but since they can't equip them i'm wondering if i should try that route.

Actually blue had no market at all due to daily 51 mods, but since they can't equip them i'm wondering if i should try that route.

I've made a reasonable buck selling greens and blues. Keep in mind that there are people that spend their credits like crazy (i'm one of them) and they need cheaper upgrades.

"I am having a harder time making money so I am going to make pay to win accusations to try to get my way."

No.

Your point ?

For leveling, cartel market has instated some sort of pay to win. You spend coin and you can level faster and easier. There's no denying that.

The problem with that is leveling gear was the source of income for a lot of crafters that don't have the top raiding gear thing in their books. For example, I used to sell crystals between lvl 15 and 40ish, getting some nice creds from them.

Well, since the patch is up, I sold 1 (one) at half the price I used to. Margin for that is so small I won't bother spamming the missions to get the purples mats anymore. It's not "my way". It's a lot people's way to make in-game money.

I would also consider that for the next short while -anything- that isn't either a CC item or basic necessity will not sell great. People are excited about the new stuff and are saving/spending their credits on that rather than mundane stuff. It'll get normal again soon enough.

The crafters and people selling stuff that can't adjust quickly to changes in the economy, I have 0 sympathy for.

The F2P model introduced a whole new sector. Concentrate on crafting BLUE mods (f2p can't use purple) and selling at a reasonable price. They go instantly almost. Especially if you craft them targeted towards the Companions. (ie, tanking armor plates).

Its amazing the amount of stupid going on in the GTN: Sector X unlocks for 40 million, unlock for all the professions for 1 million, unlock for epic gear 35 million, etc. The only ones who need these items are F2P. There credit cap is 350k or 100k (non-preferred). Heck, some idiot was trying to trade a Sector X unlock for a whit crystal.

The crafters and people selling stuff that can't adjust quickly to changes in the economy, I have 0 sympathy for.

The F2P model introduced a whole new sector. Concentrate on crafting BLUE mods (f2p can't use purple) and selling at a reasonable price. They go instantly almost. Especially if you craft them targeted towards the Companions. (ie, tanking armor plates).

Its amazing the amount of stupid going on in the GTN: Sector X unlocks for 40 million, unlock for all the professions for 1 million, unlock for epic gear 35 million, etc. The only ones who need these items are F2P. There credit cap is 350k or 100k (non-preferred). Heck, some idiot was trying to trade a Sector X unlock for a whit crystal.

I thought only subscribers got those, so even Preferred players had need of them.

Before F2P I had serious issues selling items. The market was over-focused and if you weren't putting out artifact endgame items you weren't making credits.

Since F2P I've found numerous markets. I may not be selling one item for a million credits but I am selling a hundred items at 10k credits. Market drift always happens and I'm not too terribly upset when it does. When some markets close others open up. If you can't find a way to make credits now you aren't looking hard enough.

I've sold 5 speeders since the cartel market launched. I didn't even know I could make speeders at the time. I was looking for schematics on GTN for anything I may not have had and noticed speeders could be made for Cybertechs. So I looked to see what the average price was for the speeders (30k for cartel speeders and higher for custom made speeders) so I priced mine at 40k and have sold all that I've listed. The cartel speeders are cool to have but it's rare that people sell the more popular ones for cheaper prices. A Throne Speeder will sell for upwards of 1mil credits. The sleek non lawn mower ones sell up to 1mil credits. The more frequent drops sell at 30k or less. They are cool to have but EVERYONE has them. I use my custom made speeder more than I use the one that dropped from the cartel pack. Just adjust your prices and I'm sure you'll start selling again.

This. I sold two lvl 28 or 29 blues not even half an hour after I put it up.

A guild mate and I were lamenting the flood of scaleable speeders that has recently hit the GTN from the Cartel Packs. They are so common or unpopular that they are sold for less than the cost to can make our speeders. I'm sure that areas have been hit as well. The Cartel Market also hit the Cybertechs in the mods department. Being able to purchase artifact (purple) modded gear means that at level 15 you have mods that will serve you until level 20 at least. Practically eliminating the need for level 15-21 mods. Then it levels out until level 31 then repeats, exempt it hits again at 41. This has severely hit Cybertech bank accounts.

While I like much of the CCM, the effect on the market has been desastrous for Cybertechs. At least with Armormechs and Synthweaver, there is a style to work with. I would be all for a reduction in price with the elimination of the mods associated with these items. This treads uncomfortably into the pay to win area. While there has been no end game gear (and hopefully never will), it has sent the market into a tailspin for some of us that don't quite have that skill level yet.

what mods are you talking about? the ones in the orange gear you buy with the coins? if so how is this any different than the ones you can buy off the gtn?

unless you pvp twinks what idiot is going to buy a bunch of 10k plus mods for his alts orange gear when all he has to do is run flash points and heroics to upgrade with blues every few levels rather than your every 10 or so.

since when did speeders ever sell well. the mats for the higher level ones are just beyond expensive. most people are given the first one and skip the rank two. with the new cartel ones i can now have one all the way to 50. what you should be asking for instead of whining is to allow crafted speeders to level up as well. but no you didn't do that.

how does any of this have to do with pay to win or come even close. f2p players still have to unlock the use of purple gear. subscribers already have access to it. you cant buy 22 and above mod anything. crystals are not any better just a more desirable color. the cartel sets are for appearance. not something the average person will continually buy as they level.

as one peson has posted, understood what you are saying but you attacked him as not doing so, you are just butt hurt that you can no longer make any credits on speeders and seek to blame the cartel shop..