Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR dying?

nilgoow
02.29.2012 , 08:58 AM | #601
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrcheezle View Post
I think SWTOR is dieing. I don't know about dying though.. What color do you think they are dying it?
Look how dumb you are.

lethal_ghost
02.29.2012 , 09:02 AM | #602
PvP is dying and the new updates on the way are just finishing it off. Have fun on hutball after hutball after hutball after hutball after alderan after hutball after hutball after hutball after hutball after hutball after hutball after hutball
EU 2nd class player base

bklynfinest
02.29.2012 , 09:06 AM | #603
Quote: Originally Posted by Noctournys View Post
All of the subs for the those games totalled up dont equal the number of subs that SWTOR hs now, much less WoW.

"Distant future"... or, you know, about three weeks.

And then another one in 1.3... a whopping 3 months off.

The reason World PvP is awful is because it isnt about skill or strategy or even good tactics - its about zerging. Or, if not precisely zerging, outnumbering.

All it tests is who was more fortunate.

Ive played most of those games (EQ "world PvP" ... yeah, whatever man) and other then allowing you to be a griefing douchebag... the world pvP wasnt some nirvana.
Again. Your views on OPvP seem to be based solely on a single game - WOW, a game which SWTOR blatantly clones in one way or another. If you're saying there was no strategy component in UO, AC (especially in UO and AC), DAOC and SB, then you're either trolling or did not actually play those games. And EQ Sullon Zek server was and probably still is the epitome of hardcore OPvP with gear progression. Enjoy your new age carebear lab rat instanced PvP. I'm glad I was fortune enough to play MMOs in their glory days

It is what it is. PvP is and has been adapted for casuals. You can now login, hit a button on your screen, and get ported to a limited area map setting. The only thing a player has to fear is an occasional 5-10 sec lock-out from battle and maybe getting a PWNED whisper. This is no different than playing a FPS... albeit you have more abilities (which is of course debatable when you have classes like Sorcs). There is no dynamic element to surprise fighting, no mix of pve/pvp settings, etc etc. That is what I truly enjoyed in MMOs and it's honestly gone. I'd take the occasional gank over the same boring instance over and over and over.

Krionic
02.29.2012 , 09:15 AM | #604
Quote: Originally Posted by Elysion View Post
The servers they opened up post release to satisfy the queue complainers are, as expected by me and everyone else who understood how mmo launches work.

My server has good population and faction balance.
what server?

Krionic
02.29.2012 , 09:21 AM | #605
Quote: Originally Posted by bklynfinest View Post
Again. Your views are based solely on WOW. If you're saying there was no strategy component in UO, AC (especially in UO and AC), DAOC and SB, then you're either trolling or did not actually play those games. And EQ Sullon Zek server was and probably still is the epitome of hardcore OPvP with gear progression. Enjoy your new age carebear lab rat instanced PvP. I'm glad I was fortune enough to play MMOs in their glory days
Hell yah. Zek was awesome. I loved breaking in to solB and having to fight for your right to take down Lord Naggy. I used to lol at the carebear vids of people taking 15 mins to prep for a raid. Zek, you had to be ready as soon as you got there or the other raid was going to come in and wipe you while you are fighting a raid boss. I totally agree that Zek servers were awesome hardcore pvp. And people that didn't play it have no clue what they are talking about.

SirRobin
02.29.2012 , 09:27 AM | #606
Quote: Originally Posted by Krionic View Post
what server?
Yeah, don't forget server migration. Especially in a game that's as short as this one, its no big deal to re-roll on another server. So not only do you have "settling" subscription numbers. You also have people moving from the lighter population servers to the already more populated ones.

Eleu
02.29.2012 , 09:39 AM | #607
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrcheezle View Post
I think SWTOR is dieing. I don't know about dying though.. What color do you think they are dying it?
Not sure if you're being serious or not... but 'dieing' is the made up word here.
Dying was the word you are looking for:
Departing from this life; at the point of death, moribund; mortal. (OED)

Trolling is one thing - but correcting ppl with made up words? Honestly...

On topic:
The hype created by this game meant that disappointment was the only possible outcome for those who thought it would be the perfect game. This being an MMO, I play for the group interaction (mostly friends and guildies) with solo alting and pvp in between - which I could probably get from just about any MMO tbh as long as everyone was enjoying themselves.

Imo this game provides ample opportunity to do that, so those who enjoy the game for what it is will stick around and play - duration probably determined by how responsive and creative bioware are in the long term. Those who are following the hype will move on... to the next hyped up game and inevitable disappointment.

Bloodynightmare
02.29.2012 , 10:06 AM | #608
Quote: Originally Posted by Eleu View Post
Not sure if you're being serious or not... but 'dieing' is the made up word here.
Dying was the word you are looking for:
Departing from this life; at the point of death, moribund; mortal. (OED)

Trolling is one thing - but correcting ppl with made up words? Honestly...

On topic:
The hype created by this game meant that disappointment was the only possible outcome for those who thought it would be the perfect game. This being an MMO, I play for the group interaction (mostly friends and guildies) with solo alting and pvp in between - which I could probably get from just about any MMO tbh as long as everyone was enjoying themselves.

Imo this game provides ample opportunity to do that, so those who enjoy the game for what it is will stick around and play - duration probably determined by how responsive and creative bioware are in the long term. Those who are following the hype will move on... to the next hyped up game and inevitable disappointment.

Everything about what this poster wrote is truth. Watch how GW2 start "dying" a month after release. This new generation(WoW and onward newbs) is looking for such a major leap in advancement for a MMO with all of THEIR ideals.

I suggest creating your OWN MMO with YOUR ideals and watch how you get the same type of thread, if you can even get the funding and team to make one... You can also go mod a RPG and be happy knowing it's perfect just for you.

If you can't enjoy the journey of a MMO's life span then there is no destination waiting for you.

EternalFinality
02.29.2012 , 10:14 AM | #609
Quote: Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
That is doubtful.

To be a commercial success, they said they would need something around 500K subs.
They have had at least 3 times that at the start (1.7 M). Even if half of them were gone (and there are many source including XFIRE which hint that at least part of the population is not playing as long as before or even not playing anymore), they would STILL be a commercial success. And no, I doubt half of them are gone, at least until another MMO comes out. So all your doom and gloom is without any basis.
They need those 500k subs for a long period, not 2 months.

At the current rate of attrition, this will be a failure to them.

Quote:
WoW had zero BGs at launch.

None.

All it had was "World PvP" in the form of the TM/Southshore zergfest.

People remember it fondly, but i remember it for what it was: zerg v zerg stupidity.
It had Stranglethorn Vale. And that was no zergfest. Also the areas near UBRS were hot PvP areas as people were always passing through. That's where I did most of my PvP. Only idiots went to Tarren Mill.

bklynfinest
02.29.2012 , 10:41 AM | #610
Quote: Originally Posted by Bloodynightmare View Post
Everything about what this poster wrote is truth. Watch how GW2 start "dying" a month after release. This new generation(WoW and onward newbs) is looking for such a major leap in advancement for a MMO with all of THEIR ideals.

I suggest creating your OWN MMO with YOUR ideals and watch how you get the same type of thread, if you can even get the funding and team to make one... You can also go mod a RPG and be happy knowing it's perfect just for you.

If you can't enjoy the journey of a MMO's life span then there is no destination waiting for you.
I don't think anyone here was looking for a major leap. A MMO is a MMO at its core. It's fairly obvious PvP was an afterthought for BW. Even then, they could have looked at the gazillion precedents to figure out what worked and what didn't. The fact that PVP and PVE are completely separated from one another proves this point. The two need to co-exist and the only way to have that is via non-instanced areas. The non instanced areas that do exist are so much separated from the two factions that someone can level 1-50 in the open world and never see the opposing team.

On its own, end game PvP is getting boring. I like my class (Marauder) which at least provides some enjoyment to me that you have to somewhat “work at it” vs. some of the single button mashing classes, but in all honesty I just don’t see myself logging on for more than a couple hours a night to play in the same WZs. I’m not really looking for any “reward” system but in all the other MMOs I played I did not have a similar feeling of boredom so quickly at end game PvP.

The PvE is decent, especially if you're bored of WZs and want go to a HM or raid for a couple hours. Content wise, EQ had more raid areas in its release in 1999 than SWTOR did in 2011... that's pretty shocking IMO.