Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR dying?

Noctournys
02.28.2012 , 05:27 AM | #521
Quote: Originally Posted by maradigamer View Post
Source for those numbers?
Blizzard Entertainment.

There was a fairly big thread of people complaining that Blizzard never listened to the forums, and they were evil and stupid and the usual stuff, and ... Tigerclaw, who no longer works there, posted the actual forum metrics.

Less than 5% of active WoW Accounts (it wasnt merged with Bnet back then) had ever posted so much as a single post on the forums, ever.

The number who p osted a second post, ever, went down below 2%.

The numbers are pretty universal when it comes to large games and their forum communities.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Also, 'cause im tired of talking about it:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...222960&page=11

shorlock
02.28.2012 , 05:33 AM | #522
i play early hours normally just after i finish work and where ever i go there are always poeple playing in numbers.
i quit WoW this week after 6 years and that game is dead where as this is quite lively, i intend to recommend it to my old WoW buddies

bennyrosso
02.28.2012 , 06:29 AM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by Evuke View Post
Of course the population is dropping (contrary to what the 2008/2009 fanbois will tell you), and when gw2/tera/secret world/d3/etc are out and it will plummet even further.

you'd have to be brain dead to not notice the population decreasing:
- server queues are gone
- most servers are light/std now instead of full/very heavy
- fleets are <150 players now instead of 230+
- wz queues taking longer to pop
- fp groups harder to find
- less items on markets
- most friends in the friends list are "offline"
- where have all out guildies gone?
- etc

If they actually had 2 million subscribers just after launch when all the servers had queues and we had 230+ on the fleet in prime times i'd say it's pretty obvious we've already lost at least 1/3 of those 2 million subscribers, probably closer to half.

the ea quarterly shareholder statement in may will reveal the truth, they can't lie in that.
This, my guild is gone, 3 ppl online max, I would like them to merge some servers now.
[Ayreon: Lvl 50 Assassin rank 50+] [Ayrea: Lvl 50 Operative rank 64] [Ashaa: lvl 22 mercenary rank 20+] [Ravel: lvl 50 Marauder rank 50+]
The Newborn legacy - Guild: We Dont Play Pandas -Peragus Mining Facility EU

SirRobin
02.28.2012 , 08:03 AM | #524
Guys, its not like it takes long to go from 1-50 in this game. Just re-roll on a busier server. Hell, space bar through the dialog and you can cut that short trip in half.

Erasimus
02.28.2012 , 10:43 AM | #525
Quote: Originally Posted by dschlan View Post
For those of you with no desire to read a wall of text, he's basically that old guy saying "back in my day we didn't have this"

Well guess what, those days are GONE. WoW has been king for SEVEN YEARS. This game is essentially WoW. It's 2012. Why should we have low expectations from a genre that is getting bigger and bigger? Why should we expect it to be so far below even WoW's quality, especially after SIX YEARS of development? The game is essentially WoW but with less content, fewer features etc. MMO blockbuster? Really? The game is LOSING subs, not gaining them. This game is nothing special, it's a generic clone. Thus far the devs have done nothing to inspire confidence.
Baloney, not to pick on you personally, but what is it with people that have the arrogance to think that just because they feel a certain way everyone that doesn't agree is not just wrong, but an idiot?

I've played WoW since release and still have my accounts. I've also played AION, Warhammer, LoTR, and a number of other over the years.

1. Every MMO (you can easily look up the statistics) loses subs after the initial surge. If they are good then after 4-6 months they gradually start picking up subs, we aren't there yet. So it is hard to tell whether it will succeed or fail in the long run. I don't know, but if they continue to fix issues and add content my personal feeling is it will most likely succeed.

2. By any measure SWTOR has had the most successful subscription MMO launch in history. Two million sales, 1.7 Million active subscriptions as of the last Quarterly report, a couple of weeks ago.

3. XFire may or may not be a valid way of measuring success for an MMO. I have my doubts. I had heard of XFire, but in 8+ years of playing MMOs have never used it. I asked in my WoW guild, one of the oldest on our server, and while a few had heard of it, none use it in WoW. Nor has it been used in any of the raiding guilds I've been in over 7+ years. We use vent and now Skype for personal communications. It is probably a better measure for pure PvP games and FPS games.

4. "Most People don't like the leveling experience" - Really? I do and even the most critical analysts give a plus to the voice acting and the class leveling experience.

5. "People that joined early are Star Wars Fanbois" - I joined early and I normally prefer Fantasy/D&D type MMOs and don't like the Science Fiction genre. But here I am, sill playing and enjoying SWTOR and while I still have my WoW accounts I seldom even log into WoW anymore.

6. "WoW is still better" - Well that is an opinion. I don't happen to agree and I do still log into WoW from time to time and belong to a raiding guild. But here I am, still playing SWTOR.
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

EternalFinality
02.28.2012 , 11:02 AM | #526
If you really want to evaluate whether this game will die or not, ask yourself this simple question:

What does TOR do better than any other MMO at max level?

The answer is Nothing. TOR only does things better than other MMOs WHILE leveling. Thus, the game has no future.

Noleader
02.28.2012 , 11:25 AM | #527
I think new MMOs are running into an issue that WoW never had to deal with. Before WoW and its instanced raids you had world bosses or shared dungeons. No rage timers or scripted encounters... you just ran up with your group, whatever the size, and tried your luck. This dynamic element met that the players were driving the end game more then the developers.

I can't count how many times a few friends and I decided to go and see how far we could make it in one of the epic dungeons as a small group when normally those instances where for 30+. We did not need the gear just wanted to try it out for size. Also had the reverse when we had issues with stuff we could throw more people at it (using quanity as a quality). Because of the open design it let us decide how we wanted to handle stuff and made content we had been though before more enjoyable (even when we needed no gear out of it).

That also goes for PvP. In DAoC (before Realm Abilities) we would PvP because it met something. You where defending your relics from the other two realms, and those relics gave faction wide bonuses. In both PvP and PvE there was no grind (once you reached max level). All they did was have you finish your epic quest, get your class armor as a reward, and off to doing whatever you wanted to do. There was no more gear grinding or forced raiding. You did as you wanted and never got punished in PvP or PvE for not playing the developers subscribed way (IE not wanting to raid or PvP all day).

Before WoW most people did things in MMOs they thought was fun... How many people really log on at raid night and think to themselves: "I don't care if I get something... this is just going to be fun." How many PvPers log in and think "I can't wait to PvP because win or lose it will be a blast." Thats the root issue right now in MMOs (TOR not excluded)... They think moving the carrot is the way to keep people having fun failing to see that people really are not having fun... they are just wasting time until the next best thing comes along promising to offer a bigger carrot.
Nokil - 50 Shadow - Dreshdae Cantina

Cusanify
02.28.2012 , 11:27 AM | #528
To answer the OP's question, but it may sound harsh:
Swtor was an abortion.

AHChrist
02.28.2012 , 11:57 AM | #529
Quote: Originally Posted by Cusanify View Post
To answer the OP's question, but it may sound harsh:
Swtor was an abortion.
A little Godfather 2 there?

lethal_ghost
02.28.2012 , 12:09 PM | #530
4th day today in a row that iv had to do illum daily by collecting nodes, definitely less republic players on
EU 2nd class player base