The head start is storing up future frustration for all of the player base

Rykko

Agreed with OP, anyone who has not already started may as well not unless they like being fodder for maxed out ships.

Probably the worst designed PvP I have seen in a long time.

1) Not enough participation to implement matchmaking, the Q times would be horrible

2) Huge gear gap between new players and existing players

3) No PvE component where people can learn the basics, so basically new players have to lrn2fly while being farmed by existing players

There is no huge gear gap. All the upgrades that you can get are obviously nice to have but they are not OP., they don't magically make you become a beast. So gear is hardly an issue.

Good players don't need these upgrades and can be already deadly with starter components. Bad players even fully upgraded will still be as bad.

Edited by demotivator

I hopped into the Strike last night, which I have only purchased one upgrade for (cluster missiles), after flying a scout for the past week or so almost exclusively.

I had no problem racking up kills. While the upgrades are nice to have, they are in no way neccessary. Plus there will be all sorts of F2P players in the same boat as they are, who won't be ahead at all.

Yes, experience in other space sims (and even regular flight sims) is very significant. However, I doubt we'll see a huge influx of people just for GSF...Bioware would love it if we do, though.

Having only keyboard and mouse controls is seriously going to limit the amount of space and flight sim people even trying out this game.

There is no huge gear gap. All the upgrades that you can get are obviously nice to have but they are not OP., they don't magically make you become a beast. So gear is hardly an issue.

Good players don't need these upgrades and can be already deadly with starter components. Bad players even fully upgraded will still be as bad.

I agree to an extent...I don't think the gear gap is really a big deal, I don't even think that a SKILL gap is that big a deal, I think that the GROUP experience, players who have played together for a while and work well as a team, makes the most difference.

As a player who has mostly queued solo so far, it's lonely out there without a wingman...:rolleyes:

But that's my look-out, really. That's just a risk you take trying to go solo on PVP. I'd be willing to bet that a solid group that plays together all the time, in straight-out-of-the-box ships, will walk all over a bunch of solo players thrown together, even IF they have the baddest upgrades.

There's no substitute for teamwork.

I agree to an extent...I don't think the gear gap is really a big deal, I don't even think that a SKILL gap is that big a deal, I think that the GROUP experience, players who have played together for a while and work well as a team, makes the most difference.

As a player who has mostly queued solo so far, it's lonely out there without a wingman...:rolleyes:

I have come to a similar conclusion. Plus, a group consisting of skilled players ... horrible.

Having only keyboard and mouse controls is seriously going to limit the amount of space and flight sim people even trying out this game.

True in terms of attracting new players. If they implement joystick support it might help a bit in retaining flight sim players that already play SWTOR.

As far as upgrades go. In a one on one same role situation they will make a big difference. In a contest where one ship is weaker than another based on scout/fighter/gunship asymmetries it'll make a small to moderate difference.

Against players that know the general principles of air combat, are willing to cooperate, and use voice chat, upgrades will make very little difference unless both teams are doing so.

Unless ranked space combat is implemented I think that in general teamwork will crush upgrades, well into the foreseeable future. Maybe a little less for so for people that queue as groups.

/facepalm

The ever stupid good players will be good and bad players will be bad excuse, you can justify anything with it! :rolleyes:

I just played a few games today on an alt, and there were several upgraded to the hilt flashfires able to destroy targets in literally 2 seconds with full shields.

Not exactly a welcoming way to come into the game. There should already be enough layers of player upgrades to provide some matching.

If the massively overgeared people have to wait, they have to wait. There should be no time when ships with more than 3 upgrades in slots fight rookie ships.

Upgraded gunships and flashfire scout against players with 2 ships to choose from and no upgrades is lol. And since it makes no sense, we can be assured it will continue.

I've only been doing the daily in GSF and it's clear a lot of people are playing a lot more and are well ahead of me in unlocks and that makes their weapons and defenses a lot more powerful.

Imagine what it's going to be like for Preferreds, F2Pers and subs alike having wins/losses dictated by how many of your pug team had early access and built up both unlocks and experience playing GSF.

It's not going to be fun for anyone and while subs should have been given something nice this head start is only going to cause frustration for them in the coming months.

so what? if they wanted GSF that badly, they could have subscribed.

f2p and Preffered players are getting a lot of game for not much money, they can suffer a little for all I care.

People start playing every day. Just because only a handful of people have access now doesn't change the fact that new players will start building their first ships every day.

There is nothing wrong with staggering the releases and it will not imbalance matches.

The only frustrations I foresee are premades with suped-up ships, but other than that it will barely be noticeable.

-More ships will be coming out to start upgrading thus putting all players at the same level.

-More new players start GSF everyday. Just because some are barred now doesn't change the fact that there is a steady stream of new players who are already at a disadvantage to more experienced players. There is a steady mixture of new and experienced players to balance out games.

-Matchmaking will attempt to group players based on their ship upgrades and play experience.

I don't think the head start will be a problem. Just for fun I hopped on a couple low level alts this weekend and played until I got the GS weekly done for all of them.

I didn't feel at a disadvantage at all running brand new ships with no upgrades. So either the matchmaking is working or the upgrades aren't so powerful that I felt any real difference. Either way that is good. It will take preferred and FTP players a while to get the hang of the controls but I don't think gear will be the deciding factor.