The Old Republic Launches in Asia Pacific Territories

AlysonBridge

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alyson, could you please update us as to why the server transfers are in *late* April ?

I understand it's probably got to do with the 1.2 patch coming out then, and you want to capture more of the player base. But a majority of people want to play their current characters on a low latency server without having to re-roll new characters.

TY!

Edit: Corrected name + added guess as to why..

Edited by Baeen

Yea ATM I think Bioware has a lot of very annoyed Aussie, Kiwi and other players ... they had pobably better sort this very soon ... they really needed to put this info out way earlier ... a massive fail managing player expecttions. :mad:

I have to agree.

Late April would mean that those that are looking to move to one server type (say pvp) are waiting to join the ONLY server of its type available, that shall already be funnelling any/all existing oceanic players (currently spread over numerous servers of that type) wanting to move to it alongside all the new players from the region that want to choose that server type, and then having to wait almost 2 months (late April) thus enabling any number of character name generations to occur and greatly increase the possibility of existing names (that some players were very fortunate to obtain as the "first" of their origin server) to be taken by the time those loyal to the beginning of the game get a chance to move over and play on this already well populated server.

Not only that, but if an oceanic player did want to play on a one of these new servers in the meantime, they would have to forego progressing their current character (example levelling, valor grinding or endgame raiding) for the sake of playing an alt, causing the significant playtime (almost 2 months... or 2 monthly subscription periods in EA's language) that would have been applied to their main to be dimished to the point of them being similarly disadvantaged to a player who was unsubscribed for 2 months.

I hope "late April" was a typo... else I can imagine quite an outrage from your existing oceanic community currently PAYING, playing and already committed (for most, since launch inspite of every effort by EA/BIOWARE to disregard us... yet we still remained supportive) and well progressed in their development of their existing character(s).

Edited by Citara

Yea ATM I think Bioware has a lot of very annoyed Aussie, Kiwi and other players ... they had pobably better sort this very soon ... they really needed to put this info out way earlier ... a massive fail managing player expecttions. :mad:

Yeah, we got told:

You'll get an e-mail in the week following launch.

This was interpreted as:

You'll get an e-mail on how to transfer your character in the week following launch, whose instructions you'll be able to follow straight away.

Its an interestingly bad choice. Better would have been to release the servers later if Transfers weren't ready.

I'm probably going to keep playing with bad ping on my original server, then, TBH. In the two and a bit months since launch, I've got one char to lvl34 and another to 18. From now til April I can do the same with two new characters... But really, I don't want to. I like my current characters.

I'm disappointed, SWTOR Team. Really disappointed.

Gamers in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore can now join the fastest-dying MMORPG of all time, as Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ has officially launched in those countries! Fans will be able to take part in their very own Star Wars™ saga on regional servers.

Fixed

I'm from Australia. I won't be going to the oceanic servers unless my guild members who are not in Australia can come with me.

Had you launched the oceanic servers AT launch. I would have used them. Now it's one bungled mess after another. It's like you're doing your best to separate the community.

In reality. I see the oceanic servers suffering from low population and you cannot blame oceanic players for not supporting oceanic servers when you've made it difficult to do so.

Fixed

Yes, it does seem bad for SWTOR right now but it is not the fastest dying as you edited into the message.

WoW had a much larger bleed off after it launched then TOR has, Vanguard fell flat on it's face. And probably record holder for the best launch and fastest death is DCUO.

Aside from the character transfer info, how will transfers work? I have placeholder toons with my names (not including the 3 that got snapped up already) but will I have to delete them before I can transfer? Kinda makes it pointless having a placeholder as I will likely loose the name again before the transfer is complete.

I'd say a large percentage of those of us who supported the game for a long time and pre-ordered on day 1 did so mainly to get the character names we wanted. Loosing those names after the whole red zone fiasco and then after having to wait 2 months to transfer is just a slap in the face to your loyal customers.

bw/ea did you at least researched that asian players get 2x or more latency on au hosted servers than us based ones? online gamers from that region know that fact. havent you learned that when you hosted a warhammer server in au. in a couple of weeks only 1 out of that 3 server will survive if it does lol. Edited by xpactor

The decision to hold off until late April was brought about by popular demand from the North American players on The Swiftsure server. They want some time to say goodbye to their Australian friends, the time they shared together is precious after all. They also want some time to say goodbye to their server population, as it will be a ghost town after all of the Australian players leave. The daily 'America vs Australia', 'Australia vs *insert your country name here*', and 'America sucks' discussions in General chat will be sorely missed. They provided hours of entertainment for all who were involved each day. The racial epitaphs that NA players have learned so far will not be forgotten! We will move on from this point, and we will remember how Aborigines should always be called "Abos" and treated as sub-humans! Why? "Because they live in public parks, and sleep under benches mate!"

Where will we go for our world news now? Without Australian players to bring it to us, we will fall so behind the loop in world politics that we will surely fade into obscurity. We've learned so much so fast, most NAs have changed their entire outlook on everything, due to the enlightening nature of Australian camaraderie!

Goodbye my Australian friends, may the force be with you!

Dear Bioware/ EA,

I quote:

Opening servers in the Asia Pacific region will provide a world class Game experience to our fans in these countries. It will also allow players to take advantage of decreased network latency by playing the game on a regional server.

By 'these countries', you meant Australia, New Zealand, HongKong, and Singapore.

Your statement is only half correct. Latency from anywhere else but eastern Australia ranges from 300ms (Singapore) to 400ms (Hongkong). Currently, latency from Singapore to Harbinger server averages 190ms.

By opening another server, you reduced the population of Harbinger (and Swiftsure, etc), perhaps that was intended. I will not enjoy playing on a barely populated server.

I would advice you to rescind your bold FAQ statement or be accused for false advertisement and delusion of grandeur.

Granted, your voice-over work is second to none, take that away and the players have an incredibly sour lemon to ponder over. There is nothing but the same monsters to fight in the same settings you've seen since level 10, rewarded with the same looking but different coloured gear. The world you create looks dead and reeks of efforts from the 1990s.

Being the Starwars fanboi that I am, I've paid you a month of subscription and on top of the free month and early start, I've invest quite enough. You have removed the people I can play with, so I have finally bitten the bullet and remove myself from your game.

Thank you.