Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How are Flashfires/Stings not Overwhelmingly OP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How are Flashfires/Stings not Overwhelmingly OP?

Gavin_Kelvar
12.18.2013 , 03:29 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Resipsal View Post
This is an interesting point I haven't seen a lot of people talk about yet. The two blasters that the strikers have access to that the scouts don't are the ion blasters and the heavy blasters. I haven't used the heavy blasters myself yet, and I wonder if anyone else has tried them out and loved that extra 1k range?
I tried it briefly and I found it to be something that was very situational. It has the lowest ROF and most brutal tracking penalty of all striker blasters so it's really only effective against enemy starfighters when you can get an enemy dead center in your sights. If you are forced to engage an enemy that won't stay in the center of your firing arc you'll need quads or rapids, especially if it's a scout running an evasion build.

They did have a distinct advantage against targets like turrets (especially I think if you get the 100% armor penetration upgrade although I haven't gotten that far yet) so it seems like it would be a viable alternative to ions as a secondary weapon. I think there's potential for it to be part of a "turret buster" setup that uses concussions/torps, heavies, and quads/rapids. Quads as your general purpose offense/defense blasters, heavies for taking on turrets or the odd starfighter running a damage reduction build, and concussions or torps depending on whether you wanted ship to ship missile capabilities or further emphasize your turret busting abilities.

that being said I didn't upgrade it much as I found quads to be far more versatile and have since focused on the quad/ion combo. Right now I'm trying to focus on getting mastery on my star guard so I'm going to stick with the quad/ion set up but I intend to try out heavies once I've mastered my star guard.

Hyrune
12.18.2013 , 04:59 AM | #122
I use Heavy Laser Canons with great success on my FT-8.

Pro :
* long range (currently 6900m)
* 18% shield percing (last upgrade)
* very high accuracy as long as your target is in front of you

Con :
* bad accuracy if the target is not directly ahead, ie bad a short range
* the short range dps in low vs burst / rapid / light laser canon

Tankqull
12.18.2013 , 09:07 AM | #123
its quite amusing that no one mentions the defensive advatages a strike fighter has over a scout. sure the can not equip the distorsion field and thus have 15% less base evasion chance. but no one mentioned the tremendous amounts of dmg strikes can soak up with charged plating(shield)+structural support(crew)+hydro spammer while still beeing only 15% evasion behind...

Hyrune
12.18.2013 , 09:20 AM | #124
Heavy Laser Cannons ignore armor, I think they would melt charged plating in no time.
I did not test this armor though.

Tankqull
12.18.2013 , 09:31 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyrune View Post
Heavy Laser Cannons ignore armore, I think they would melt charged plating in no time.
I did not test this armor though.
plating is no armor its a shiled modifcation and thus not affected...

DarthVindictus
12.18.2013 , 09:44 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Tankqull View Post
its quite amusing that no one mentions the defensive advatages a strike fighter has over a scout. sure the can not equip the distorsion field and thus have 15% less base evasion chance. but no one mentioned the tremendous amounts of dmg strikes can soak up with charged plating(shield)+structural support(crew)+hydro spammer while still beeing only 15% evasion behind...
I took one look at charged plating, another look at all the different armor ignoring upgrades and weapons, and said HELL NO.

Luckyluzi
12.18.2013 , 09:46 AM | #127
i use charge plating a lot on my pike and can confirm that armorpen goes through the damage reduction, best example, one hit from a slug railgun brings me down to orange hull with 94% damage reduction

burst lasers, concussion missiles, proton torpedos, heavy lasers, slug railgun... all with 100% armorpen kills you very quick
Caldera Legacy ToFN FOXHOUND
Naid/Vanguard Corm/Guardian Raito/Gunslinger Tourian/Shadow
Naid/Powertech Zadeus/Juggernaut Varoq/Assassin Kadar/Operative
Zeres/Sorceress Lelani/Sage Valon/Sentinel Talborn/Commando

Zoom_VI
12.18.2013 , 10:35 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckyluzi View Post
i use charge plating a lot on my pike and can confirm that armorpen goes through the damage reduction, best example, one hit from a slug railgun brings me down to orange hull with 94% damage reduction

burst lasers, concussion missiles, proton torpedos, heavy lasers, slug railgun... all with 100% armorpen kills you very quick
And only one of those is available to a Flashfire, but three of those are available to strikes
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Phantasym
12.18.2013 , 01:04 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVindictus View Post
They tend to have the same armaments/range, only the scout is faster and more maneuverable, and the strike fighter can take more hits, but will get hit more often because of a lack of evade and slower maneuvering.

There is no real strength to play to. Are you going to claim to use proton torpedos for max range as a solution? A scout boosting towards you will fly right by you before you can lock on, nailing you with blasters all the way, that's if they're feeling gutsy, otherwise they can just outrun you and you will never lock on.
90% of the Complaints I am seeing are from you, who's favorite ship is the gunship, which I would argue is the natural enemy of the scout, the thing they have the easiest time killing. Earlier you complained you couldn't kill turrets as well, someone suggested using proton torpedoes and now you say but a scout will kill you if you try to lock them with those. They are not for killing scouts especially not in a 1v1 fight, if you lock a scout 10km off while they are dogfighting other people you can get hits because their lateral movement isn't that big, if they are coming at you of course its useless. They let a strike take out turrets and be in better shape then a scout 0 damage to shields or hull, one of your complaints earlier.

Strikes can carry the same close range weapons a scout can and longer range weapons, 7 and 10km missiles, or heavy lasers for 7km, the farther you are away the less lateral movement a target has so in anything other then a dog fight rate of fire is not as important, this is what allows gunships to hit people those ships moving fast even boosting move little side to side at 15km compared to the same movement at 3km where it is a flash across your screen.

The strike fighter I play is much much more survivable than either of my scouts. I have double the shields and nearly double the hull I can take damage to my hull even with bypass and still be alive, in fact even repair it and boost my shields and keep fighting like nothing happened. I can have 2 types of lasers or 2 types of missiles, my missile boat has clusters for dogfighting and protons for taking out long range targets and turrets. My laser strike has ion for taking out shields and draining energy and such and then quads or burst or light for finishing people off. On my missile boat I sometimes will lock a cluster missile they hit barrel roll and are now about 8-9km out with their missile avoidance used... perfect range for the real hit from a proton torpedo.

With its shield and hull and not needing to constantly fly in either f1 or f3 mode my strike fighter is exceptionally good at holding objectives I can circle a turret in the same type of erratic pattern I would in a scout and survive a lot longer, in fact I can hold off several people at once trying to cap an objective until help gets there.

You seem to be fixating on one scenario head on attacks, if you are coming head on boosting at each other sure that extra 2k range is a very short time, but why in the world would you boost towards a turret you already have in range, you boost to get into range you don't boost once you are in range unless you need to run away. Strike fighters have the advantage of range, and defense and versatility to have enough weapons to be able to have different ones for different roles.

Telos
12.18.2013 , 01:06 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Who cares about turrets? Even scouts can solo three turrets with 0 hull damage. The ability to use up your entire secondary weapons system for that (or half of your picks) for turrets is silly. Not that protons are useless, but the turret thing pretty much is. In a gunship I can eat all three in less than ten seconds, as a strike fighter it's longer and even assuming torps.

I think I'm confused at a different level by this:

When I'm on my strike fighter, I have a WHOLE BUTTON devoted to "switch gun types". The only way this really seems useful is if I'm running ion cannons and something else. A reasonable set of choices- like for instance, longer range lasers and shorter range burst lasers- doesn't seem to be available. I certainly don't press this button with the same delight as when I press "rapid fire death mode" as a Flashfire. I don't understand why they can put an offensive button there and a strike fighter cannot, nor do I understand why there isn't more threat to the strike fighter shots baseline, given how hard it is to keep a scout onscreen.

I might buy that about all FIVE ships. I definitely suspect that gunships are meant to be hunted by infiltrators- the fact that a gunship will get splatted by the dogfighting ships isn't really a weakness when you remember that the actual goal of the game is satellites thus far, and than if the scout chases the gunship and the gunship runs, either the scout chases (maybe getting a generally useless kill) or the scout turns back- either way 20 seconds of scout time is traded for 30 seconds of gunship time, max, and that's the BEST possible scenario.

But you'll note that while babies are crying about the gunship in the QQ thread over there, and different babies are crying about the Flashfire over here, the commonality is that no one is QQing about Strike Fighters. I don't think they are trash, but people should be QQing about their ability to swap guns and missiles but those abilities are so niche it doesn't matter. If they had a gun that did double damage to scouts but half damage to everyone else, I bet you'd hear the appropriate amount of waaaah needed to mark a ship as solid ("but they just switch it outtttttt they have NO DOWNSIDES QQQQQQ").

Right now, the best at damage seems to be the scout, who also seem to be the best at maneuvering, and they have a nigh invulnerability bubble for a few seconds, plus they can run in and out of range. I'm not saying that kit is too good, but I am saying that a strike fighter's power of "more shields" seems to be like as if a mouse had a second heart and lung set versus a cat- that's not a power, that's the ability to entertain the predator a bit longer as you die.
DarthWhinevictus was crying that scouts can make runs on turrets, without fear of death. I was pointing out that he can as well in his strike fighter. then he changed the subject.

flashfire/sting is not op. people that think they are op are just terrible pilots.
SOONERS