Player Housing and Cities: Your Thoughts?

BrettUltimus

I've recently been missing Galaxies. I love The Old Republic for it's adventuring, but I also like the option of doing other things as well... player housing and player cities sounded like an amazing idea, and I wish more current MMOs would do that as well.

I think a planet that is just used for player housing/cities could be a great idea... kind of like a PVE version of Ilum.

In my opinion for housing though (if it ends up something like that would be too much work), what about your spaceship as a type of housing? Change the interior around, decorate, etc etc.

With that said, what are your thoughts (good or bad)?

EDIT: Let's go a step further other then "Can you see this implemented." Let's pretend Bioware has unlimited resources, game has no bugs, and all issues resolved. Would you want to see player housing/cities? I'm just seeing if there is an interest.

Edited by BrettUltimus

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've recently been missing Galaxies. I love The Old Republic for it's adventuring, but I also like the option of doing other things as well... player housing and player cities sounded like an amazing idea, and I wish more current MMOs would do that as well.

I think a planet that is just used for player housing/cities could be a great idea... kind of like a PVE version of Ilum.

In my opinion for housing though (if it ends up something like that would be too much work), what about your spaceship as a type of housing? Change the interior around, decorate, etc etc.

FFS PLAYER HOUSING DOES NOT MATTER WHATSOEVER.

Stuff that matters: the awful, awkward ability delay caused by an animation-over-action combat system, the awful, uncustomizable UI, the lack of meaningful end-game content, etc

I miss SWG too, alot more than I expected to. Player housing and Player cities would be wonderful. The ships as our home not so much. My friend and I have been trying to board each others ship and more than half the time he can't get on mine and I've never been able to board his. It always kicks me at the doorway. Same when he tries to get on my ship. Its not a reliable "home" that you can have others join you in.

FFS PLAYER HOUSING DOES NOT MATTER WHATSOEVER.

Stuff that matters: the awful, awkward ability delay caused by an animation-over-action combat system, the awful, uncustomizable UI, the lack of meaningful end-game content, etc

Then why post in this thread? I believe these were already beaten into the ground 10 bajillion times over. I'm just getting some light hearted thoughts ^^

This comes up in every major MMO.

Simple answer: No. These kinds of games don't allow for housing nor do they need it.

That is not any sort of an answer, nor does it give any kind of a reason, or any indication of any thought or intelligence behind it whatsoever.

Enlighten us or go away troll.

we have housing already in game it's called your ship. Now of course we want custimization but that comes later in content updates along with the Guild Capital Ships.

If you are thinking SWG housing ie player made cities don't hold your breath that is extremely rare as it's usaually a bad idea.

player housing won't happen in this game imo.

If it does it will be instanced like Lotro for example.

Guild housing I can see

I know, it's pretty doubtful, but I figured a topic on it won't hurt. Instanced areas seems to be the safe route, all things considering (Lotro, FFXI, etc).

Guild housing I can see too, since I know there was a mention of Guild Fleets... quite curious what happens with that.

I miss SWG too, alot more than I expected to. Player housing and Player cities would be wonderful. The ships as our home not so much. My friend and I have been trying to board each others ship and more than half the time he can't get on mine and I've never been able to board his. It always kicks me at the doorway. Same when he tries to get on my ship. Its not a reliable "home" that you can have others join you in.

I played SWG for a few months, and then the dreaded CU hit... and then I was like this T-T

If they were ever going to use ships as a player home, I'm sure those issues would be worked with... I know a lot of people complain that ToR is not perfect on it's first month release, but for a grand release, I think they are doing pretty well. FFXIV anyone?

They can't even make doors. You think they could make a whole house?

Haha! I've never noticed that before!! It's kind of like how there isn't a single ladder in an elder scroll game because it's engine doesn't allow it. But if you are doing player housing, maybe you won't need a door? I've seen plenty of games where it's just left open.

we have housing already in game it's called your ship. Now of course we want custimization but that comes later in content updates along with the Guild Capital Ships.

If you are thinking SWG housing ie player made cities don't hold your breath that is extremely rare as it's usaually a bad idea.

Kind of like a mentioned, I can see interior customization (and even exterior) being possible. The space missions part of this game opens a whole new door.

It's good to fantasize about it though, and just see what people's thoughts are. Who knows what the future holds?

I heard mention of guild capital ships somewhere, perhaps that could fill the void you feeling. What I miss about SWG is an economy that actually existed and was almost exclusively player run, not this shambled mess of useless crating skills.

Player based economies can be pretty dangerous, but it sounds marvelous. I am like the many who would love to see crafting evolve so that someone who works on it can make the best gear in the game.

are you the same class? If so then yes it becomes more complicated.

If you are the same class you have to have same share instance or something like that enabled in your options.

If not then it's incredibly easy you both go into his or yours hanger. then he enters his ship and it will automactly bring you in.

It's worked perfectly for me and my best friend as we have leveled our mains all the way up to 45 now.

The only time it hasn't worked if we go to a class specific area such as when you do your final part for your class chapter 1 quest and you have to go to a special space ship.

I can board his ship and help him but when it's time to leave i go back to my ship.

Other then that it works perfectly

Loved it in galaxies.

Now to answer your question. No it will never ever happen in this game, Bioware is doing the bare minimum.

Youll be lucky to ever see living mounts in this game.

Loved it in galaxies.

Now to answer your question. No it will never ever happen in this game, Bioware is doing the bare minimum.

well except they have already confirmed Guild Capital ships.... and they have all that story, plot, voice acting. But sure other then yeah it's totaly the bare minimum.

Live mounts are an expansion perk.

It is a good idea man , the problem is the time it would take to implement that , they should focus on bug fixing not this new stuff atm ... and i mean those flash points also.

Yea, I've seen the argument a lot (and I agree with it being difficult). I was more curious if people are still interested in the concept.

Loved it in galaxies.

I don't want to turn this into a what Bioware is/isn't conversation [there are plenty of other >:( threads for that], but more of a, "Is there still an interest in this"?

Apartment building on Coruscant with view to the city. Would also actually give a purpose to that planet.

They must also allow us to drop every object of the game in our house and move/rotate it anywhere like in Galaxies.

Edited by Dreossk

Im cool with a system like LOTRO, instanced zones in a certain area of some planets. That or guild ships...which if they have guild ships they need to do 3 types...Imperial/Republic/generic freelance types.

It will probably just be Imperial Fleets for Imperial Guilds, and Republic Fleets for republic guilds, realistically.

But customization is always awesome in my opinion ;)