Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Sanctuary of Regret

frauzet
06.10.2018 , 02:13 AM | #341
Some bad news and no body.
Looking forward to the next chapter very much!
<3
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

JennyFlynn
06.10.2018 , 01:14 PM | #342
Lot of bad news.

Spoiler

Wonderful chapter, so much going on everywhere, I'm eager to see where it goes next.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | | Defying Destiny @}}>---}-------

MishaCantu
06.10.2018 , 02:20 PM | #343
Clues and bad news:

Spoiler

A lot revealed. More questions. Wonderful chapter as always. I'm hungry for the next.

Lunafox
06.11.2018 , 03:53 PM | #344
Quote: Originally Posted by frauzet View Post
Some bad news and no body.
Looking forward to the next chapter very much!
<3
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know. ^^

Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
Lot of bad news.

Spoiler

Wonderful chapter, so much going on everywhere, I'm eager to see where it goes next.
Indeed...Jadus and his forces left quite a mess behind. Sephna does have an interesting gift...she has the sight that the Marr line has, but she doesn't need the fire to catch glimpses of things. Right now she has to be fairly close to a setting and can see little bits of past things, like about her brother and what happened to him. I suspect when she grows up the gift will evolve and she'll be able to have some visions of future things as well, and maybe from a distance. Basically the same gift, but she doesn't need the medium.

Nox definitely wants another crack at the emperor, she's sadistic enough to think that would be the ultimate humiliation for him, if she could contain him, and of course use his knowledge. As for Nox and Sephna, I think a more adversarial relationship is developing between them. Nox sees that the girl could be a threat to her at some point and seeing that lean hungry look in her eyes about how badly she wants to learn and gain power weighs on Nox.

Darmas blasted his device at maximum, given that he was 'about to go down'. If they hadn't managed to drag her away, and if Darmas wasn't on the run, she probably would've died of a brain hemorrhage. Everything does look pretty bleak right now. Thanks for reading and for letting me know you liked it. ^^

Quote: Originally Posted by MishaCantu View Post
Clues and bad news:

Spoiler

A lot revealed. More questions. Wonderful chapter as always. I'm hungry for the next.
I'm happy that you enjoyed the descriptions of JanFathal and while they wre too late to save the boy, they did manage to get Fernal out of there and as you say she can help with answers and such.

I'm also very happy that you liked the dialogue, Nikki and Sephna seem to have a good rapport. You're right on about lines being drawn and Nox being watchful of a potential future problem. But hopefully they'll be able to put their differences and such aside to solve the issues troubling them (Jadus and the missing boy).

Both kids have a degree of Force sight but Sephna's developed a bit differently than the humans in the Marr line, they seem to require fire as a conduit for their visions, but Sephna seems to be able to do it without the medium. I'm inclined to think the gift will evolve as she gets older.

You're right about Lia, it's not going to be an easy thing for her to accept...like you say she's known conflict and fighting from a young age and it's like her life force. If she has nothing else, she has that...well, not anymore. :/

Things are pretty awful right now, but the pieces are coming together to form bigger pieces that will hopefully eventually lead to answers.

Thanks for reading and commenting, I really do appreciate it. ^^

Lunafox
06.16.2018 , 06:46 PM | #345

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Forty-Three

Scourge returned to Liatrix’s side after Quinn left. The bright infirmary lights washed out her complexion and the greyish half-moons under her eyes were dark against skin that was too white. The light turned everything stark and cold and he hated it.

“The last time you and I spoke, we did so in darkness and shadow—and though our secrets were laid bare in a gentler light, their truths were no less harsh.”

She turned onto her side to face him. “I’m not going to like this am I.”

“No, my Lord Emperor, I’m certain you won’t.”

“I heard you and Quinn before. Everything’s gone to hell—makes me wonder what you’re holding back? Judging from the look on your face it must be pretty bad.”

“The device Pollaran used to incapacitate you damaged your cerebellar function—which means your physical coordination has been compromised—walking will be difficult, never mind dueling.”

A thin sheen of moisture glazed her eyes but stopped just short of forming tears. “Is there a cure?”

“The doctor mentioned physiotherapy—patience and practice will help…”

“But there’s no guarantee I’ll recover.”

“When Pollaran is found he will pay dearly for what he’s done,” Scourge threatened.

“I can’t just lie here,” she said hoisting herself up to sit. “This is crazy. I’m fine. I feel fine.” She swung her legs over the side of the bed and pushed off the edge.

“What are you doing?”

“Proving to you that this is nonsense,” she growled. “I’m not finished. I have too much to do—there’s no time for this.” She stood with the mattress bracing the back of her legs. Panic flickered in her eyes and she put her hands out for balance.

Scourge moved in to support her, but she tugged free.

Her eyes flashed. “I can do this.”

She staggered forward and took a step and then another and another. Scourge looked on, his body tensing with every step she took. He reproached himself for being so quick to believe the doctor’s diagnosis. Clearly, the tests were wrong and he had been foolish to believe the worst.

Then she fell.

Dashing to her side did nothing except reduce the full brunt of the fall on her knees and wrists. His fingers dug into her shoulders as she sank into her haunches.

Her lower lip quivered and tears threatened to spill. “It’s all over. Is this how it ends?”

Scourge took a knee beside her, tilting her chin up gently to meet his gaze. “It’s a setback—that’s all this is. Nothing more.” He enfolded her in his arms. She remained stoic, her body stiff against him until something gave inside her and she relented, hugging him in return.

The scent of flames kindled from a sweet mellow timber curled about his senses and took him back to his childhood when his mother dried rings of spiced apple over a low fire until they formed crisp chips. Her scent was different than he remembered it—but no less beloved. The longer he lingered against her the more it beguiled him until all else was forgotten and he knew he was home.

“No one can see me like this,” she breathed against him, breaking the spell. “Weak, useless,” she continued.

“You are neither weak nor useless. We will weather this. We’ll find a way.”

She pulled back just enough to look up at him, with tearful eyes. “Take me home, I can’t be here.”

“Whatever my Lord Emperor desires.”

The Sky Princess II broke orbit around JanFathal and after a brief dash through hyperspace the vessel drifted into a quiet patch of space along the Outer Rim.

Andronikos sank into his chair and indulged in the peace that came with floating in the middle of nowhere. Thoughts of better times roamed his mind—the low fading drone of the engines and Nox’s wanting fingers caressing flesh so hardened he was amazed he could feel anything at all. The sensation wasn’t to last and he was plucked from his reverie by the voices at the back of the ship.

His ‘co-pilot’ dozed in the chair beside him, head bobbing until her chin touched her chest and then snapping back again as if even sleeping was a fight.

Andronikos scooped the sleepy girl up in his arms. She woke just enough to look at him with heavy hooded eyes and yawned. “Nik?”

“Gonna put you to bed, a’right?”

Sephna nodded and wrapped her arms around his neck, her forehead resting against the side of his neck. Nox’s gaze followed them across the common area until they disappeared into the berth.

He set the child onto the bunk she liked best and covered her. Before leaving, he pressed the toy Loth-Cat he’d bought her against her arm to cuddle.

“Sleep tight, kid.” He closed the door and ambled into the common area to help himself to a drink.

Vowrawn emerged from the sickbay and joined Andronikos at the bar.

Nox cradled her drink and put her feet up across the booth’s bench seat. “Has she regained consciousness yet?”

“Not yet, but I’m hoping she will very soon.” Vowrawn plucked a glass from the tray on the counter and filled it.

“You’re welcome to join us, m’dear,” he said gesturing to the sickbay.

“I’m fine here—after traipsing about all day, I’m feeling lazy. Let me know when she wakes.”

“Then I shall leave you to your lazing.” Vowrawn looked between them and returned to the sickbay. His eyes widened and his mouth erupted in a flash of white teeth. “My dear Wrath, you’re awake.”

Fernal sat up and cocked her head. One brow crept into her forehead and her eyes narrowed. “Vowrawn?”

“In the flesh…”

“But not your own—stars, I know you…er rather him…Lord Abaron from the academy.”

“Indeed, the very same.”

She swung her legs over the side of the bed to let them dangle. “So she did it…she brought you back,” Fernal said shaking her head. “Honestly, I didn’t believe it possible. You hear the stories, but I thought they were just that…stories.”

“You’ve always chosen to put your belief in more tangible pursuits.”

“I believe in what I can do, with my fists and my lightsaber. Baras always said the esoteric aspects of our culture were beyond me. Sadly, he was right on that score.”

“We all have our gifts and you are an ideal Wrath.” Vowrawn bowed his head and looked away.

“You’re troubled.”

“No more than usual.”

“That’s not like you—the Vowrawn I remember never had a moment's disquiet. I may have taken a few rocks to the skull, but I can tell you’re not yourself,” she shook her head and corrected herself, “aside from your body.”

“I would be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned, my dear Wrath. What happened in the temple?”

Her brows puckered and her gaze grew far away. “Our Master has a new vessel—our associates finished the ritual and then,” she shook her head slowly to clear her memories.

“Take your time, m’dear.”

“Jadus—he and his men invaded.” She sat up straighter and her jaw dropped, her expression suddenly and terribly alert. “The Emperor…what happened to the boy?”

Vowrawn watched her intently. “We don’t know for certain—but it appears he was taken. His body was not among the others.”

“Jadus has our Emperor.” Her fists tightened and her teeth gnashed.

“My dear, I must ask you, how loyal are you to our ultimate master?”

“Why? Perhaps I ought to ask you the same question?”

“While I’ve always been a proponent of guile, this is not the time for dishonesty or trickery. I have been working actively against our Emperor and his Hand since Rishi. I realize we haven’t had an opportunity to discuss this…until now.”

“Then, it appears we’re on the same page—more or less.”

Vowrawn folded his arms. “That concerns me, my dear Wrath.”

“It needn’t. You were the one to tell me about the opticrons, after all. That they would spy on me…I’ve been nothing but loyal.”

“I suppose they couldn’t chance another betrayal, Wrath.”

“You really ought to start calling me by my name. I know we’re family—Nox told me.”

“Yes, when you so graciously supplied your blood for her ritual.”

Her ritual—the way you say that suggests it’s not what you wanted.”

“What you lack in the esoteric, you make up for with perception. Death is not to be feared, my dear Fernal. I was content. It truly is the next great adventure.”

“I can’t believe you of all people relished being…dead. You were so full of life. Among other things,” she teased.

“That I was,” he said, smiling.

“So who am I to you, Vowrawn?”

“You’re my granddaughter.”

“Why didn’t you tell me before? I would’ve welcomed knowing the truth. I always had a feeling the Force drew us together for a reason greater than eluding Baras.”

“I,” he began, hesitating, “was ashamed.”

“Of me?”

“No my dear, never of you—but of my daughter—your mother.”

“Explain.”

“Like many young men, I had ambitions, but I also had needs. I was reckless—suffice it to say, one of the women I was with, Ixiar, became pregnant and died giving birth to my Force-blind daughter.”

“My mother…”

“Yes. Suddenly I found myself responsible for a life I never wanted and to further my shame she had little connection to the Force. I did all I could to keep this secret, and yet I was found out by an enemy who used her to control my actions for years.”

“I don’t remember her—but I knew there was quite a stigma attached to a pureblood with no connection to the Force.”

“It was the greatest shame a Sith family could know at the time—I couldn’t keep her. What would I do with a child at seventeen? Perhaps if her mother had lived, I might have done right by her, married her—but instead, I gave Farine to a good family to raise.”

“What happened to her?”

“She grew into a beautiful young woman—beautiful enough that she caught the eye of your father,” Vowrawn hissed.

“You didn’t like him.”

“I despised him.”

“I never knew my father,” she looked up at him, eyes wide suddenly. “But you did. Who was he? Who was my father, Vowrawn?”

“His name was Darth Taxon,” he growled through clenched teeth.

“He was on the Dark Council, wasn’t he? Why did you hate him?”

“Many reasons m’dear. He plied your mother with expensive trinkets, took her places—foolish child believed he loved her. Pregnant by him just months before her seventeenth birthday, he abandoned her—left her on her adoptive parents’ doorstep.”

“They told me she became sick after I was born and died. Is that true?”

Vowrawn hung his head. “She believed she could redeem herself—be thought of as valuable among the Sith if she married and bore the child of a powerful Sith Lord. She hoped it would be Taxon—poor thing never recovered from his rejection. She gave birth to you and killed herself a year later. I blame myself.”

“Tell me you killed him.”

“Taxon was powerful…strong, skilled in combat like you are. I couldn’t beat him myself, but I found one that could.”

“Who?”

“Marr. He killed him and took his seat on the Council.”

“Did he know about me?”

“I could never tell my dearest and most trusted friend the truth…but he had his own reasons to want Taxon dead.”

“Were you afraid of what he’d do to me if he learned the truth?”

“It crossed my mind at first, but Marr would never have harmed a child simply for having the misfortune of being fathered by such a blaggard. I meant to tell him, no time seemed right. Though I suppose it’s irrelevant now…all becomes known after death.”

Fernal was quiet for a long time. “I was fortunate growing up, my grandparents were kind to me, but the advantages I received—they weren’t capable of them…was that you?”

“After I’d learned what happened—I did all I could to make amends—from a distance. Not because I didn’t want to know you, but because I didn’t believe I deserved to.”

“So you got me into the Academy, you got Overseer Tremel to help me…you arranged all of it?”

Vowrawn nodded. “I started you on your path—the rest you achieved on your own. Suffice it to say, I was a little shocked to see you on Corellia that day when we first officially met. You were the one secret Baras’s spies never ferreted out.”

“I wish I’d known then. I told Nox something similar when she came to me.”

“Would you have done anything differently?”

“No. Does she know you want to die? And don’t deny it, I can sense it.”

“She and I have discussed it. I invited her to join me…she agreed to think it over, just as I agreed to consider living.”

“Do you think she’ll agree?”

Vowrawn chuckled. “If I know my Nox, she will pull out all the stops to get her way.”

“I don’t want you to die either, for whatever it’s worth. Now that I know the truth…there are so many questions. We need more time.”

“And you shall have it,” he said setting his hand over hers.

“So how long do I have to stay cooped up in here?”

He glanced up at the scans and shrugged. “The kolto has taken effect. Everything reads normally—so not a moment longer than you wish to, m’dear.”

“Some shut-eye in a proper bunk is in order, I think.” She hopped off the medbay bed and smiled. “We’ll talk again later? We need to decide what to do about Jadus.”

“Of course.” He kissed her cheek and watched her leave. “At least now you know the truth,” he whispered under his breath.

((to be continued…))

JennyFlynn
06.16.2018 , 08:16 PM | #346
Further surprises.

Spoiler

I look forward to more, a wonderful chapter.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | | Defying Destiny @}}>---}-------

MishaCantu
06.16.2018 , 09:05 PM | #347
It's a long tumble from the top:

Spoiler

Stellar chapter, and very much looking forward to what you come up with next.

frauzet
06.17.2018 , 04:52 AM | #348
A quiet chapter, yet gripping nonetheless!
Looking forward to the next part!
<3
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

Lunafox
06.18.2018 , 06:02 PM | #349
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
Further surprises.

Spoiler

I look forward to more, a wonderful chapter.
I'm glad I could surprise

Yeah, I didn't see Doc's diagnosis being incorrect, there is always the hope, but no. Lia has been strong for such a long time and carried everything herself in regarids to the war. Even the strongest people can be devastated by news where their health is concerned and she's so used to being able to move and fight that getting the sudden news that her ability has been affected in such a way that could last a long time, is heartbreaking. Of course she is shrewd enough to know that she's got enough enemies, known and unknown that would come calling if they heard about her condition. I think asking to be taken home was a reaction the hopelessness she's feeling. I don't think it's sunk in that there is no home.

Life on the Sky Princess II is quite tense atm. Feravai is being relegated to being a spare wheel and it's not something she's used to. She's used to be the center of attention, the darling of her men and to see both of them with eyes anywhere other than on her, is difficult. She's become spoiled over the years lol.

Taxon is indeed a scumbag, he was the guy that enslaved Marr and killed his parents in Marr. Taxon was a thorn in both their sides and finally Vowrawn revealed the real reason he hated Taxon.

I imagine there will be more with Fernal and hopefully she'll give us some more answers then. Thanks for the kind review and lovely comment, it's much appreciated. ^^

Quote: Originally Posted by MishaCantu View Post
It's a long tumble from the top:

Spoiler

Stellar chapter, and very much looking forward to what you come up with next.
Aye, it's a long way down from the top.

Being taken down in such a way was a shock to her, she'd foreseen a far more bleak ending, for herself, or at least what she thought would be more bleak. To lose the ability to use one's body and skills as she's so used to doing, is a definite blow to her. Scourge has been there for her during most of her most trying moments, he's a constant. It made sense for him to be with her at this time too. I don't think she's quite moved past her misfortune yet to realize she has no home as such. I think once that sinks in, that'll be all the more upsetting. At any rate, arrangments will need to be made for the Alliance, for sure.

And yes, Darmas is overhanging everything like a shadow.

I'm so glad you remembered Taxon And that I could surprise you with the revelation of him being Fernal's father. It's good to get that secret off my chest, been holding onto that one for way too long lol. I'm really chuffed up thta you liked it and how it connected the other story to this one. And you're right about Fernal, her first thoughts have always been about Malavai and keeping him safe and at a distance so that he isn't used against her anymore than he already is. Thanks so much for the great feedback, it means a lot to know you enjoyed it. ^^

Quote: Originally Posted by frauzet View Post
A quiet chapter, yet gripping nonetheless!
Looking forward to the next part!
<3
Thanks! I'm glad you found it entertaining even if there wasn't much action. I enjoy the quiet moments as well as the busy ones. Thanks so much for reading and for the wonderful comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it! ^^