Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to create anxiety in the community ToR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How to create anxiety in the community ToR

Faarsider
12.13.2011 , 10:03 AM | #11
I just hope that they learn fast from these early PR disasters and sort out lines of communication

PlagaNerezza
12.13.2011 , 10:14 AM | #12
I think its been clearly communicated (see forum posts and community posts). I think they are doing everything possible to get everyone as much early access as they can.

They want to make sure the load is not crushing the servers and thus making the game unplayable for everyone. I don't think its unreasonable to ask the community to be patient. They articulated you'd get an email on the day you are granted access.

Pressure here is very bad. The servers have been load tested, but there is nothing like a release to test the best laid plans. Give these guys time. They have been excellent.

This is how they operated. They are a cautious group. Having been in BETA everything they do is slow, purposeful and follows a sound methodology. Things are up when they say. They tend to deliver and don't seem to be wild. They make changes based on emperical evidence.

This community should appreciate they do what they say. Coming from other games (SWG) where they would talk out both ends, I greatly appreciate a vetted and real communications model where its intentional and deliberate when they address us. Hopefully this leds to less dissappointment.
Judust Jax
7 days of free subscription! A free server transfer! + More Goodies!
New & Returning Players. Give a Click and Get a Click!
http://www.swtor.com/r/zTCMYK!

Patrucio
12.13.2011 , 10:17 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Samheinwow View Post
Crying about early access that was suppose to be 5 days early but was enlarged to 7 days early is kinda silly people.
From a psychology perspective, it's certainly not. People tend to think with the "spotlight effect", meaning that they believe their actions are more visible than they are. They tend to interpret messages directed at themselves personally even when they know they're not. People also have an aversion to loss more than they appreciate a gain. All of this means that many people will feel aggrieved and publishing this will help the situation in some way. There's also the benefit one gets from just expressing one's feelings.

What would have been BioWare's best move, from a "psychology of the customer" perspective, would be to start "sneaking" people on early. That way, people would still be expecting the 15th, and would be happy to get in before that. Probably that is logistically impossible, so their next best option would be to inform people what wave they are in. While people would still feel anxious, giving them something more concrete to focus on would be beneficial. BioWare doesn't know when they will admit their waves, but if they are admitting them based on the order in which they received code redemptions, they should already know where individual accounts fall on the wave distribution.

Of course, that would mainly lead to a different time of post- "I'm wave 8 and they're on wave 2- why are they going so slow!!!" However, I think those grievances are more manageable for people than the greater degree of uncertainty that the low-information current approach is generating.
"My conscience hath a thousand several tongues,
And every tongue brings in a several tale,
And every tale condemns me for a villain."
-W. Shakespeare, Richard III

Cipicu
12.13.2011 , 11:05 AM | #14
The guy who started this post is right in my opinion. He has every right to be mad even if u troll him.

[QUOTE=PlagaNerezza;28791]I think its been clearly communicated (see forum posts and community posts). I think they are doing everything possible to get everyone as much early access as they can.
No, they are not doing everything possible to get as much in game, they only care about those servers. Why?

" They want to make sure the load is not crushing the servers and thus making the game unplayable for everyone. I don't think its unreasonable to ask the community to be patient. They articulated you'd get an email on the day you are granted access. "

What is this? Are we talking about a garrage company? About some dude who made a game for him or he's friends? No it's a very big company who made a MMO. Things should have been in order by now. They know what to expect. They had a stress test wich went prety well, we all played that open beta...In fact this is nothing but a beta payed by us. Are they trying to make the game playable? Yea, let's make the game ok for 10k people accepted by now and ignore those 500k+(maibe). And EGA should alow all people to play during a day, again, because it's a big company, not during several days. Why whould i get to play after 2-3 days and someone else right from the begining. We payed the same amount, we all want to play as bad as anynone else.
I have all the admiration for those who developed this game, it's an amaizing game, hat down. But the guys who are responable for getting the game to us ruined for them. This isn't what i expected. What it will happend on 20 when 2 mil people log in? We log a couple of thousand each day?