Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

I really like what you are implement and it does make sense. My only concern is that I do have a guild and it would be nice to transfer that guild, should we all decide to leave the Vrook Lamar server... Though it might not be that bad. For all I know, Lamar is a destination server!

Please use a different color. Your current choise is horrid for some of us color blind people.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^This

Please reconsider when it comes to RP-PvP servers. Even if all of them were combined, there aren't enough servers of this type to make a healthy population. I was really looking forward to a nicely populated server.

Just get rid of the RP-PvP designation entirely if you have to. Or allow people to transfer between PvP and RP-PvP.

My server, Jung Ma, used to have a healthy population so it wasn't much of a concern. But now even this server is dwindling. Let us enjoy your game as intended on a server with a healthy population.

It really makes me wonder. What is going on at BW Austin? Do they not know this?

So let me get this right. Guild deplyment was pooly implemented at launch and we were handed severly unbalanced servers between factions. Alos as a reslult many in my guild have rolled on a pve server or stoped playing. So there is no chance to move our allready max level characters to join what few remaining friends I have left from other mmo's on a different server type. I dont buy it I need a good reason why you wont allow it.

If there is any chance this will be handled like Guild deployment at launch there is nothing you can say to reassure me the same nightmare unbalanced server placement wont happen again. I remember reading the idea was to help forge communities and reuinte friends but this news is quite contrary to that.

And there is little chance to move your already max level character to join what few remaining friends you have on the same server type as well. The "Good reason" is that BW has no ability to use forsight.

Edited by HelinCarnate

It would at least double it's size and make it comparable with everything, except Fatman.

Comparable to what the other servers are like now, but probably not comparable to what the other servers will look like after the mergers.

Doubling its size won't make it a "heavy" server by the current standard.

Dear repeat askers,

YES you can transfer your guild. GM's will help you re-create your guild bank so you don't have to re-buy tabs, and you an effectively reform your guild on the new server. No, your members will not be broken up because there is only ONE destination server.

Sincerely,

People who already read this information

Edited by Stenrik

As nice as transfering to any server you want sounds it would cause a lot of problems. So many people have allready rolled new characters on Fatman that there are already queue times pretty regularly. If everyone is able to choose where they go a large majority will go to one of the current top 3 because the populations there are already high. Then, we'll see even longer queue times. A planned and strategic funneling is necessary to create healthy populations all around on several servers. After that is done, they can open up less restrictive transfers because there won't be as many people eager to go to one of the 'big 3' because their current server will be healthier.

So instead pissing off people who still wont be able to play with friends/mains/etc. is the better way of going about this? Not like people said allow everyone to do it, just those of us who have characters of a significant level on a server already. Put a minimum level of somewhere between 25 - 40 and that would clear up any percieved mass transfer issues. By not allowing this they have only further messed up game because now many of us are just waiting for the "real" transfer process to start at some yet to be determined time in the future.

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

This is really poorly thought out.

World PVP is almost non-existent on TOR, so I don't think people with 50s on a PVP server care if someone who levelled to 50 on a carebear PVE server transfers over.

What you guys should do is choose a core PVE, PVP, RP, and RP-PVP server for people to transfer to on both the west and east coast, and gravitate towards having eight be the first set of superservers.

Why are you willfully reducing peoples' choices? You know it's only going to disappoint and piss people off, and you have a pretty wounded playerbase right now.

Edited by Kllashaa

It really makes me wonder. What is going on at BW Austin? Do they not know this?

It is a subtle way to muscle those people into paying for transfers in the future. (If not then by all means prove me wrong by allowing the RP-PVP and RP-PVE to move to normal PVP and normal PVE servers respectively)

Edited by Tuscad

I believe you missed the part that they are doing it in Phases.

I didn't miss a damn thing, I read it thoroughly, twice. If by "phases" you mean the undisclosed and unknown time period it will be until paid transfers come out, its yet another vague promise that I'm not going to bet on. Thanks, but no thanks, been burned enough. I'm not asking for free transfers with no restrictions to anywhere I want. Please, BioWare, TAKE my money, I will hand it over WILLINGLY, as will multiple friends of mine, to be able to move characters over from a dead PVE server, to a well (not heavily) populated RP-PVP server where I've already established a home for the guild to move to.

The distant promise of something they claimed was going to be their focus of transfers in the first place was the last straw for many of my friends, so where does that leave me?

Of course they do. That's why this is only THE FIRST PHREAKING PHASE!!

How many phases do i have to slog through before I am on a Heavy/full server?

Wait, let me guess: the phase that I have to pay for.

I didn't miss a damn thing, I read it thoroughly, twice. If by "phases" you mean the undisclosed and unknown time period it will be until paid transfers come out, its yet another vague promise that I'm not going to bet on. Thanks, but no thanks, been burned enough. I'm not asking for free transfers with no restrictions to anywhere I want. Please, BioWare, TAKE my money, I will hand it over WILLINGLY, as will multiple friends of mine, to be able to move characters over from a dead PVE server, to a well (not heavily) populated RP-PVP server where I've already established a home for the guild to move to.

The distant promise of something they claimed was going to be their focus of transfers in the first place was the last straw for many of my friends, so where does that leave me?

On a PvE server, like you had it originally. Until paid transfers come out and you can probably go somewhere else.

Leaves you paying for Bioware's huge mistakes like the rest of us and they want us to wait even longer to be reunited for a sizeable fee.

Of course they do. That's why this is only THE FIRST PHREAKING PHASE!!

i doubt you understand that people want to be able to move they characters that they have being playing for long time

to the server they want.

it BW issue to fix the server population, not the players, and this is not a fix, its another big mistake that will make people unhappy. people was looking for move they toon wherever they want.

also this whole phases thing and this *cap* on transfers everyday made me wonder if they are actually gonna do the transfers manually?

maybe they havent even really finish they transfer tech and will do all manually, its very possible, we talking about BW and they awesome hero engine....

I'm going to say this communication was one of the best Bioware has put out. Here's what we are doing, here's what we are not, here is when and here is why. It wasn't defensive or nebulous; it was simply factual and written from a position of leadership. A list of origin and destination servers would have been a nice add, as would a projected timeline for when they would like to target the phase two (pay to xfer where you want).

I understand the frustrations people are feeling and their right to communicate those frustrations as paying customers, but there is a constructive way to do that and the venom spewing, troll puking way (which I can safely say is more likely to just get you ignored than heard). Obviously you care about the game to be so passionate with your position, which makes me happy to see as a fellow SWTOR lover, but your message gets lost in the delivery.

I honestly believe:

1. The silent majority is going to be happy with this solution.
  2. Servers with large guilds will end up being destination servers so the guild issue (which I understand sucks for guilds that choose to move) should be limited.
  3. We should wait to see a list of origin vs. destination servers are before anyone freaks out.
  4. I'm going to regret posting this in about five minutes as I'm sure my calm and reason will be met with same kind of response you get in Huttball when you die before you can pass the ball. :rak_01::D

That being said I would have been fine with getting an email that said:

"Dear player you have and Legacy of characters on server x. That server is being merged with server y and z on June x. This is the first step in our character transfer process which will lead to allowing players to pay a small fee to transfer their characters or Legacy to any server of their choosing later this summer. Please be aware that you may need to change the names of some of your characters and possibly your Legacy name if these names exist on your new server. For anyone affected by this we will be compensating you with x time of free play. By condensing low population servers we plan to both make both your gaming experience and the looking for group tool more effective. This will also have the added benefit of saving time and reducing maintenance windows that we can use more effectively to bring you new content and features moving forward. Thank you for being a valued customer and member of the SWTOR community."

One day you login to say Shii Cho, the next you're logging into The Jek Jek Tar and Shii Cho is GONE. I'd be okay with that; I imagine most folks wouldn't be and the actual solution they are proposing is better received over all.

Guess we'll know more next week...the rest is guessing and conjecture. MTFBWY

Edited by MrGrizzly
typo

Tbh i feel a little let down about how guilds are being treated....you started out so well on making sure all guild members got onto the right server and with the right numbers but this transfer system seems very rushed.

I love the fact I can move but I don't like the idea of loosing guild members that we have worked hard to maintain during the numbers drought that most servers have experienced, only to find that there is a chance that we could not all end up on the same server....what kind of madness is this.

Give us options to transfer whole guilds....you can do it for the PTS so why not for retail servers?

I enjoyed testing this game from the beta to the PTS , help promote this game to my friends and fellow guild members..we work very hard to keep our community's alive and kicking and yet we find ourselves having to do even more work when all we ask is a little help from YOU to make this process as painless for everyone!.

Quite a number of the players here have experienced transfer's/merges before and you should really use this information to prevent mistakes like this from happening again.

Help us Obi ware .. You're our only hope!

Where did he say it's going to stay permanently that way forever and evermore?

Try reading the entire post or maybe go back a ew of my posts I posted the exact section where they pretty much said the only peopl getting free are those ond ead servers. Only One portion of the community unhappy with their server is getting any sort of resolution that wont cost them money. I'd rather not wait another 3 months of paying monthly fees to only pay more fees to increase my enjoyment of the game

People who drank the kool-aid are in the worst shape of all:

Those poor schlubs who followed the game pre-launch, had their guild & character loaded onto an (inherently imbalanced) early-access server, only to have the artificially-low server cap induce queues, then followed BioWare's suggestion to roll on a different server to avoid queues & then rolled lots of alts to take advantage of the Legacy System.

Now they've got a diaspora on their hands, BioWare is doing nothing to help them. BioWare got/guided them into this mess & now they're supposed to just wait until the new round of contractors working on the game (half)implement a fully featured, modern MMO transfer system. For money.

I don't believe there are enough rp-pvp servers by region to do many merges. NE USA has two rp-pvp servers. My suggestion is to remove the rp-pvp designation and call them pvp or rp servers. Jung Ma has one of the healthiest server pops but it is nowhere near Fatman even if you add all of Ven Zallow (the other NE RP-PVP server). The goal here is to create more Fatman-busy servers, right?