Marauder Ability, Tactical Item, and Set Bonus Feedback

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Let's talk about what Spoils of War has in store for the Marauder! Below you will find the Marauder’s new ability, the set bonuses that are planned for them, and a list of their new Tactical items. You may see bonuses which refer to charges. We are introducing new tech in Onslaught which will allow abilities to have multiple charges, meaning you can use them more than once (per charge) and the cooldown will simply add a charge up to the maximum.

You will note that compared to the Sorcerer, the Marauder has fewer set bonuses. The reason for this is that although the Advanced Class has less, the base class of Sith Warrior has more than the Inquisitor. It still results in 8 set bonus options overall.

Keep in mind that all of this is subject to change

New Ability – Furious Focus

Furious Focus has 4 ability charges and recharges every 30 seconds. Activating Furious Focus consumes all charges causing your next attacks to do 25% additional damage.. Ex: If you consume 3 charges, your next 3 attacks do 25% increased damage.

Set Bonuses

These bonuses will likely have the high end of piece requirements, such as requiring 4 or 6 pieces. The smaller piece bonuses will be more passive in nature (stat benefits, etc).

• Dispatcher - (4) Activating Dual Saber Throw grants Dispatcher's Challenge making your next Vicious Throw critically hit. This effect can't occur more than once every minute. (6) Using Dual Saber Throw with Furious Focus grants Dispatcher, finishing the cooldown of Force Charge and making your next Vicious Throw usable on any target.
  • From the Shadows - (4) Mad Dash's cooldown is reduced by 10 seconds. (6) Activating Mad Dash while under Force Camouflage makes it critically hit and slows any targets it damages.

Tactical Items

This a new item slot coming in Onslaught. You can only wear one Tactical Item at a time.

Marauder

• Apex Predator - Activating Predation finishes the cooldown of Force Camouflage.
  • Frenzied Focus - Frenzy builds a Furious Focus charge.
  • Hidden Power - Force Camouflage generates 2 rage per second while active.

Annihilation

• Exterminator - Annihilate automatically kills standard and weak enemies with less than 30% health. Killing an enemy this way resets the cooldown of Annihilate.
  • Rapid Rupture - Refreshing Rupture deals double damage on initial hit.
  • Vicious Saber - Vicious Slash applies all of your Deadly Saber stacks to its target at once and resets the cooldown of Deadly Saber.

Carnage

• Unstable Focus - Using Devastating Blast with Furious Focus causes Devastating Blast to explode, dealing damage to all targets in the area.
  • Hyper - Using Massacre adds Hyper stacks to you, increasing your critical chance by 10% and reducing the cost of your next Massacre by 1 rage per stack. Stacks up to 3 times. Last 10 seconds or until an ability other than Massacre is used.
  • Bloody Focus - Using Gore with Furious Focus causes its target to bleed.
  • Always Ferocious - Ferocity is active all the time, but only grants 50% armor penetration.

Fury

• Detonate - Raging Burst detonates Force Crush, dealing damage and slowing any enemies in an area around the primary target.
  • Obliterator - Using Obliterate with Furious Focus causes it to critically hit.
  • Force Barter - Furious Strike refunds one additional rage after it hits, but refunds all its rage if you would have fallen to zero.

As a note, if you are a Sentinel player, you can expect to see these bonuses mirrored for you as well, they are still in process.

Let us know your thoughts! Here are the types of feedback we are looking for. XX seems too strong or too weak. XX Set Bonus combined with XX Tactical seems too strong or too weak. I wish there was a Set Bonus or Tactical that had a specific effect or modified a specific ability not listed. Be as specific as possible in your feedback.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Shadows - Activating Mad Dash while under Force Camouflage makes it critically hit and slows any targets it damages.

im sorry but whats the bloody point of this? Ive never seen mad dash use for damage. if it was without camouflage itd be sort of ok. but the fact you need to use TWO CD's for DAMAGE? and a slow?

literally USELESS in pve and mediocre in pvp

Hey folks,

Furious Focus has 4 ability charges and recharges every 30 seconds. Activating Furious Focus consumes all charges causing your next attacks to do 25% additional damage.. Ex: If you consume 3 charges, your next 3 attacks do 25% increased damage.

Oh great. Marauder will hit even harder than it has before.... Wonderful. I know we want to make these new changes "build defining", but at some point we can't continuously center a marauder's build around critting for half your health.

•  
  • From the Shadows - Activating Mad Dash while under Force Camouflage makes it critically hit and slows any targets it damages.

This has literally no use in any game mode. Additionally I don't know if "under" is the right word since activating Mad Dash while using Force Camo will break Force Camo apon use.

Fury

• Detonate - Raging Burst detonates Force Crush, dealing damage and slowing any enemies in an area around the primary target.

Please don't give Fury more crowd control. It already has a lot with obliterate root, force jump root, force crush slow, and ravage root utility. Fury Mara shuts down a lot of classes in pvp already. Please don't give it another tool to control it's opponents.

Edited by septru

Apex predator, when combined with the 30 sec cd utility for predation, will allow force camo to be used every 30 seconds. That will just lead to maras being able to stealth out and heal even more frequently than they already do in solo ranked. Ridiculous.

Pretty much all of these tacticals are way stronger than any of the sorcerer tacticals.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

One additional burst ability will make this class too overpowered

ty Stain, that's exactly what I want to say :D

From a PvE perspective

Set Bonuses :

- Dispatcher : Dual Saber is a very weak PvE spell. Not even is the rotation of Fury, Carnage uses it as filler because of ressource but won't use a stack of Furious Focus for an effect they already have. Only Annihilation might find it useful due to the x2 damage to Dual Saber Throw which would make the +25% damage worth it.

- From the Shadows : Useless in PvE, and I've yet to see someone Mad Dashing from stealth in PvP, so might be the same for PvP Players.

=> So we'll stick with the Sith Warrior set that should be a Sith Marauder set as it works with a Marauder exclusive spell : "Critical Focus - Critically hitting has a 20% change to build a Furious Focus charge. Can only occur once every 10 seconds."

Tacticals :

General : 2 PvP Tacticals and 1 stack of Furious every 2min15 => Trashed.

Discipline specific :

- Always Feriocious seems like a must have for Carnage, but should it be nerfed cause of its obvious broken aspect, Hyper seems nice for the dead time between Berserks, same goes for Unstable Blast for AoE fights (might be best one for PvP).

- Annihilation Tacticals seem weak except perhaps Vicious Saber for PvP. Because we'd gain atm about 400DPS from doubled Rupture damage, assuming it'd count as a refresh if used every 6 GCDs.

- Detonate is useless for PvE as the current DPS cycle has Force Crush way ahead of Raging Burst, so it couldn't explode. I do not think this cycle has much room to be modified for this purpose.

We do not need Force Barter, so we'll go with Obliterator imo.

Edited by roinopouf

Annihilation

• Exterminator - Annihilate automatically kills standard and weak enemies with less than 30% health. Killing an enemy this way resets the cooldown of Annihilate.
  • Vicious Saber - Vicious Slash applies all of your Deadly Saber stacks to its target at once and resets the cooldown of Deadly Saber.

Exterminator in its current state has no practical use in a raid whatsoever, as most NPCs have a minimum of strong difficoulty. However, if you add an instakill for strong / elite npc-s as well with a lower health requirement (Strong: 20% Elite: 13% or something) it might actually be viable. Or if you change it entirely, Annihilate enables the next Vicious Throw to be used on any health %

Rapid Rupture seems okay as it is, adapting the rotation to refresh it 1 GCD earlier shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't interfere with higher priority abilities.

Vicious Saber seems a little less useful to me, as it is - in essence - shortening the DoT uptime on the boss. The way it works now is you apply each stack with a weapon hit, so you can space them out a little, squeezing a little more damage out, so it's on the target for not 6 but a minimum of 10,5 seconds - which is potentially more damage than having it go out all at once. For burst, this is clearly better, but overall it will do less damage. Instead, it could be changed to this: Hitting an enemy with 3 Deadly Saber stacks on it, while you have stacks left refreshes the DoT duration on the target. This would bring Anni to be a very strong DoT spec, it'd be up to the player to achieve enough uptime and space out DoT applications so that they can keep it on the target. Adapting playstyles is the main reason for Tactical Items in the first place, isn't it?

So yeah.... auto crit dev blast with 100% armour pen and up to double dmg with fucious focus and AOE with tactical?

Not sure how the dmg will stack but we r looking at like a 50-60k dev blast (258 gear) on everyone in range? I mean.... u can clear the room with 2-3 carnage maras lol.

Play the way u want is all well and good, but seriously, some of these tactical ideas r just useless. Maddash from camo... sounds cool visually, but y would anyone ever use that for anything practical?

Annihilate automatically kills standard and weak enemies .... Lol. Like anyone cares about standard and weak enemies. They blow up in like 2 GCDs. At least make it kill those enemies outright regardless of HP, but this thing still has no uses whatsoever. Are there ever any standard weak mobs that dont die in like a second in ops? Nothing comes to mind. Useless in pvp too.

I dont expect always ferocious to be worth it, since all your big hitters get 100% armour pen doing normal rotation. This is likely a dps loss. Also, what would activating ferocity do when you are using this tactical item?

Hyper looks cool and sounds like it would be usable in PVP, maybe PVE as well.

Bloody focus - how much bleed dmg? Some kind of number or range would be nice so we can put it into perspective.

All the detonate perks, obliterator and vicious saber look very powerful (carnage one especially so) and will likely need some toning down. A utility tactical would need to be seriously strong in order to compete with these, since what a dmg class would like from a tactical primarily is more dmg 99% of the time.

I like the idea of Furious Focus - numbers will of course be tuned as needed, it's kind of a "bloodlust" type of ability. I'm good with that.

I'm not a fan of the set bonuses. I don't want to be required to activate 2 abilities in order to use dispatch on any target, that's not the flavor that excites me as a player. I'm curious what other ideas you have. It'd be kind of interesting to share some of the dev ideas with the community and have us weigh in on them even if they're not fully fleshed out. The idea would be to see what direction the community is most excited about. The mad dash set bonus is bad. Horrible for damage and extra slows are meh at best. Please go back to the drawing board on this one.

I get it, you're looking for abilities unique to the Marauder to build set bonuses around. Berserk and Battering assault have been used as the set bonuses for a while so looking to shake it up.

Could do a risk/reward on a historically defensive ability(ies) and tie some offense to it. Cloak of Pain could be used to do something offensively at the expense of maybe not having it when you'd want it defensively. Same with Force Camo. They could reduce rage cost for certain abilities, provide a flat % damage increase for a period of time, build charges that could be spent on XYZ offensive ability. Just some ideas.

Could also try making Crippling Slash into something that would be more useful in both PvE and PvP. I'd say it's marginally useful now in mostly PvP but i'm more of a PvP player - it may have good uses in PvE that i'm unaware of. Maybe have a set bonus give it considerably more damage or grant some buff to the marauder. It could add a small damage absorb shield for the marauder on use, or build a charge(s) that could be expended for a reset on leap, or build charges that could lower the cooldown of an offensive or defensive CD of your choosing. I'm just brainstorming. I'm sure my suggestions aren't fleshed out but i find them more interesting than almost anything you could do with Mad Dash and the DST one is just kinda meh. I think you can do better! :rak_01:Sorry for the wall of text.

The new ability will be great. Will definitely bump the Mara up, especially Carnage (which is currently 3rd worst discipline).

I'm thinking between the tactical items, I'll want Hyper. Almost every time I use massacre, I do it 3 GCDs while waiting for my other rotation to go.

Depending on the new ability, I can see Always Ferocious working well. Bloody Focus could work well for your PVP carnage mara, adding a DOT. Unstable Focus is the way to go if you want more AOE punch. Like I'd get Unstable Focus right now for VM Queen, but we'll have to see how the new ops will be on ads and AOE.

The default mara tacticals, eh. Apex Predator is meh, since you usually have Predation on its "no longer needs 30 stacks of focus/fury" with the self cleanse and reduced cooldown on Force Camo. I also usually use them at the same time, so that's just a 15 second gap it would open up for using Force Camo, based on CD differences. I don't see this one being useful.

And Hidden power could be useful if you stay in Force Camo the full time. But I only ever do that if I'm sneaking past a mob, and not fighting them. It's very rare for me to use it full cooldown in a fight, and usually is only when I'm low on HP.

Annhi I don't use enough to have an opinion on much. Exterminator seems good, and can help the Annhi Mara in leveling or farming dailies, but I don't see it doing well in MM FPs, Ops, or WB fights.

Fury, is *** and I will never touch it. It's a DPS with extra defense really, which as a Mara is an awful combo. Could work as a skank on PT, or Jugg, but not on a Mara.

They could reduce rage cost for certain abilities, provide a flat % damage increase for a period of time, build charges that could be spent on XYZ offensive ability. Just some ideas.

Not rage though, everything goes smoothly atm Rage-wise so it's kinda useless to add more. And there are already utilities in place for additional rage if needed.

Annhi I don't use enough to have an opinion on much. Exterminator seems good, and can help the Annhi Mara in leveling or farming dailies, but I don't see it doing well in MM FPs, Ops, or WB fights.

Fury, is *** and I will never touch it. It's a DPS with extra defense really, which as a Mara is an awful combo. Could work as a skank on PT, or Jugg, but not on a Mara.

Anni Tacts are bad and Fury is perhaps the highest DPS of the Mara atm tho.

• Dispatcher - Using Dual Saber Throw with Furious Focus grants Dispatcher, finishing the cooldown of Force Charge and making your next Vicious Throw usable on any target.

This one is useless for fury spec since dual saber throw is mostly not used in this spec. + who will spend furious focus on such weak ability?

• From the Shadows - Activating Mad Dash while under Force Camouflage makes it critically hit and slows any targets it damages.

This is even more useless then previous one. Who the bloody hell will use madh dash to break camouflage when camouflage is the only serious defense ability marauder has besides guarded by the force? This must be removed by something really useful.

Tactical Items

This a new item slot coming in Onslaught. You can only wear one Tactical Item at a time.

Marauder

• Apex Predator - Activating Predation finishes the cooldown of Force Camouflage.

This is useless. Frenzy has a huge cool down. No one will sacrifice tactical item for such rare usable ability

Useless for pvp since camouflage is used mainly to run away and save marauders life. Marauder has no need in rage during this period.

Annihilation

Has no use for pvp at all. For pve has no use for big bosses since they are not weak or standard targets.

Good one. Both for pvp and pve

Would be a good item for both pvp and pve

Carnage

• Unstable Focus - Using Devastating Blast with Furious Focus causes Devastating Blast to explode, dealing damage to all targets in the area.

This is a single target spec. In pvp no one will take in order to avoid breaking mezzes and cc's. Might be useful for pve though
  • Hyper - Using Massacre adds Hyper stacks to you, increasing your critical chance by 10% and reducing the cost of
    your next Massacre by 1 rage per stack. Stacks up to 3 times. Last 10 seconds or until an ability other than Massacre is used.

Interesting one. Both useful for pve and pvp

Also interesting one. Even though gore is used for starting a burst window normally and players might want to use furious focus for devastating blast, ravage, vicious throw mostly. Depends on how good this bleed be
  • Always Ferocious - Ferocity is active all the time, but only grants 50% armor penetration.

Wow. Cant even comment on such big change... Might change this spec from burst to quasi burst spec.

Fury

Same comment as for Unstable Focus
  • Obliterator - Using Obliterate with Furious Focus causes it to critically hit.

OK for both pvp and pve specs
  • Force Barter - Furious Strike refunds one additional rage after it hits, but refunds all its rage if you would have fallen to zero.

USELESS. Fury mara never feels trouble with lacking rage. Its zen effect, pops from force charge or obliterate either regenerate rage or making some of main abilities not to consume rage in usage. No one will take this item.

All in all,From the Shadows set bonus, and Force Barters, Frenzied Focus AND hidden power tactical items are totally useless and must be changed for something else. Exterminator item for anni wont be popular at all. People will not use it except for leveling since for end game pvp and pve it is mostly useless

Edited by bladech

• Dispatcher - Using Dual Saber Throw with Furious Focus grants Dispatcher, finishing the cooldown of Force Charge and making your next Vicious Throw usable on any target.

This one is useless for fury spec since dual saber throw is mostly not used in this spec. + who will spend furious focus on such weak ability?

This is even more useless then previous one. Who the bloody hell will use madh dash to break camouflage when camouflage is the only serious defense ability marauder has besides guarded by the force? This must be removed by something really useful.

Tactical Items

Marauder

This is useless. Frenzy has a huge cool down. No one will sacrifice tactical item for such rare usable ability

Useless for pvp since camouflage is used mainly to run away and save marauders life. Marauder has no need in rage during this period.

Annihilation

Has no use for pvp at all. For pve has no use for big bosses since they are not weak or standard targets.

Good one. Both for pvp and pve

Would be a good item for both pvp and pve

Carnage

This is a single target spec. In pvp no one will take in order to avoid breaking mezzes and cc's. Might be useful for pve though
  • Hyper - Using Massacre adds Hyper stacks to you, increasing your critical chance by 10% and reducing the cost of
    your next Massacre by 1 rage per stack. Stacks up to 3 times. Last 10 seconds or until an ability other than Massacre is used.

Interesting one. Both useful for pve and pvp

Also interesting one. Even though gore is used for starting a burst window normally and players might want to use furious focus for devastating blast, ravage, vicious throw mostly. Depends on how good this bleed be

Wow. Cant even comment on such big change... Might change this spec from burst to quasi burst spec.

Fury

Same comment as for Unstable Focus

OK for both pvp and pve specs

USELESS. Fury mara never feels trouble with lacking rage. Its zen effect, pops from force charge or obliterate either regenerate rage or making some of main abilities not to consume rage in usage. No one will take this item.

All in all,From the Shadows set bonus, and Force Barters, Frenzied Focus AND hidden power tactical items are totally useless and must be changed for something else. Exterminator item for anni wont be popular at all. People will not use it except for leveling since for end game pvp and pve it is mostly useless

Im glad to see everyone is agreeing that from the shadows is a terrible set bonuses simply because no one uses mad dash in that fashion. Mad dash is a gap closer, way to resist dmg or a way to move around (trick your enemy) in most if not all situations. Will bioware read the feedback and listen to the community is the real question and change what most of us are not agreeing on?

Not rage though, everything goes smoothly atm Rage-wise so it's kinda useless to add more. And there are already utilities in place for additional rage if needed.

Yeah fair point, I'm just trying to spark the creative juices! Maybe damage boost or building charges of something that can be used to reset a cooldown or build stacks that increase damage. Or have cloak of pain increase damage stacking for as long as you don't take damage. I don't know man, just throwing stuff out there.

Bioware staff has no clue what the meta in their own game, both nim and ranked, work. That is for sure.

Yea the last thing marauders needed was more damage tbh. I'd rather they focus on something else that actually affects the way you play your class. Like a tactical that offers infinite predation but the speed is reduced to 50% instead of 75%. Or a tactical item that offers your dual twin saber throw to be used off of gcd and has 4 charges.

Hey folks,

Let's talk about what Spoils of War has in store for the Marauder! Below you will find the Marauder’s new ability, the set bonuses that are planned for them, and a list of their new Tactical items. You may see bonuses which refer to charges. We are introducing new tech in Onslaught which will allow abilities to have multiple charges, meaning you can use them more than once (per charge) and the cooldown will simply add a charge up to the maximum.

You will note that compared to the Sorcerer, the Marauder has fewer set bonuses. The reason for this is that although the Advanced Class has less, the base class of Sith Warrior has more than the Inquisitor. It still results in 8 set bonus options overall.

Keep in mind that all of this is subject to change

Set Bonuses

These bonuses will likely have the high end of piece requirements, such as requiring 4 or 6 pieces. The smaller piece bonuses will be more passive in nature (stat benefits, etc).

Tactical Items

Marauder

Annihilation

Carnage

• Hyper - Using Massacre adds Hyper stacks to you, increasing your critical chance by 10% and reducing the cost of your next Massacre by 1 rage per stack. Stacks up to 3 times. Last 10 seconds or until an ability other than Massacre is used.

Fury

As a note, if you are a Sentinel player, you can expect to see these bonuses mirrored for you as well, they are still in process.

Let us know your thoughts! Here are the types of feedback we are looking for. XX seems too strong or too weak. XX Set Bonus combined with XX Tactical seems too strong or too weak. I wish there was a Set Bonus or Tactical that had a specific effect or modified a specific ability not listed. Be as specific as possible in your feedback.

-eric

As far as the new ability furious focus goes, it sounds good on paper, but can we get more info as to specifics as far as how it will be implemented? Will there be a rage cost associated with it, or will we need to use other abilities to build charges before we can use it? Will it simply be free of cost and have a set number of charges, and if so, how do we choose how many charges we want to use at any given time. Also, given that this has the possibility on paper, assuming no changes to existing numbers for existing abilities to drastically increase Mara dps numbers across the board, could this be an indication that you will be nerfing some of the existing abilities damage numbers? If so, please don’t nerf my Annihilate crits!

Regarding the Mara specific set bonuses, they seem kinda meh, imho. Dispatcher sounds like it could be interesting in certain situations, and I can say the same to a lesser degree of From the Shadows

Regarding the Mara specific tactical items, Apex Predator, I suppose I could see some use solely in PvP as an extra speed buff, particularly if paired with the current Relentless and Phantom utils, assuming no changes to those existing utils. Which brings another question, will lvl 75 give us an extra utility point? And if so will there be a new tier of utilities that are supposed to be even better than the current highest tier of utilities, (whose name escapes me atm)?

Can’t really say much about Frenzied Focus until we learn more about how Furious Focus is supposed to be implemented. Hidden Power just sounds interesting, though I’m not sure how useful it will be in actual gameplay, since rage management isn’t really an issue, if you know what you’re doing.

As far as the Annihilation specific tactical items, ehh I think they need some work. Exterminator, again sounds good on paper, at least with the resetting of Annihilate mechanic. My issue is this sub 30% HP condition for the effects to go off, especially considering the fact that my Annihilate can easily one shot standard/weak enemies at 100% of their HP, with no debuffs on them...so, again assuming no major changes to existing abilities damage output, I don’t see any real use, with the 30% HP restriction.

Rapid Rupture I could see having some use, since I’ve personally lost count how many times I’ve accidentally used rupture twice in a row, due to lag or simply accidentally hitting the button twice.

Vicious Saber honestly sounds like it could be the best one on paper, considering the fact that iirc, Deadly Saber DoT’s still yield the highest overal DPS of the 3 DoT’s I have to juggle, so being able to apply all 3 stacks at once sounds interesting.

Oh great. Marauder will hit even harder than it has before.... Wonderful. I know we want to make these new changes "build defining", but at some point we can't continuously center a marauder's build around critting for half your health.

This has literally no use in any game mode. Additionally I don't know if "under" is the right word since activating Mad Dash while using Force Camo will break Force Camo apon use.

Please don't give Fury more crowd control. It already has a lot with obliterate root, force jump root, force crush slow, and ravage root utility. Fury Mara shuts down a lot of classes in pvp already. Please don't give it another tool to control it's opponents.

As Fury player, I can say this assessment is spot on. We are already wreaking balls in pvp and all I can see happening with these changes are Mara crit monkeys that can control people while they smash them in 3 hits.

It will be Mara smash monkeys all over again like it was in 1.2?

Mad dash and force Camo??? Sorry but this is dumbest thing. No one in their right mind will want this in either pve or pvp. Why would you guys even consider this a good idea? And as Prum rightly points out, using mad dash from Camo will break Camo.

As Fury player, I can say this assessment is spot on. We are already wreaking balls in pvp and all I can see happening with these changes are Mara crit monkeys that can control people while they smash them in 3 hits.

It will be Mara smash monkeys all over again like it was in 1.2?

Mad dash and force Camo??? Sorry but this is dumbest thing. No one in their right mind will want this in either pve or pvp. Why would you guys even consider this a good idea? And as Prum rightly points out, using mad dash from Camo will break Camo.

Wait till you see the Jugg changes... OP as hell. ;) Well deserved tho.

Changes are fine as long as the other classes will have broken abilities as well. Can't wait to see the PT ones and Merco ones...