[Space] Allow Strafe Left/Right Keys To Navigate Ship As Well As Turn Left/Right Keys

llesna

Dear devs,

As someone who has never found it possible to use WASD (or the WASDQE method for turning and strafing), I always assign the right arrow keys on the keyboard to forwards, backwards, strafe left and strafe right.

The other day, I discovered that movement keys could also be used in space battles, but then found that I was unable to use my left and right arrow keys as the game does not also use strafe left and strafe right for space flight, but rather only the turn left and turn right keys.

Could you please add in a simple fix that would allow both turning and strafing keys to be useable for space flight?

Kind regards

llesna

Edited by llesna

I agree. Not everybody uses left/right as turn; I'd venture to guess there are a whole lot of us who map left/right to sidestep, and those of us who do are annoyed that space combat doesn't have this flexibility.

I myself was able to work around this problem by programming another M-mode mapping on my Logitech G13 (M1 mode, my directional keys are forward/back/sidestep; M2 mode, directional keys become forward/back/turn for space combat).

Bioware, please address this issue.

I agree. Not everybody uses left/right as turn; I'd venture to guess there are a whole lot of us who map left/right to sidestep, and those of us who do are annoyed that space combat doesn't have this flexibility.

I myself was able to work around this problem by programming another M-mode mapping on my Logitech G13 (M1 mode, my directional keys are forward/back/sidestep; M2 mode, directional keys become forward/back/turn for space combat).

Bioware, please address this issue.

Thanks for your support there ^^

Edited by llesna

i play all missions ONLY with mouse and is soooooooo nice and smooth

i love the way the space is in this game

The missions are even nicer when using the movement keys. Give it a try sometime.

All I'm asking for is that the spaceship controlling functionality that already exists in the game be extended to the strafe left/right keys in addition to the turn left/right keys.

This won't affect you or anyone negatively in any way.

Edited by llesna

Considering how genuinely very simple this would be to implement, I'd like to hope that a dev will take notice of this incredibly obviously suggestion and make this addition to the game.

Having to change my movement scheme each time I wish to do space combat becomes increasingly tiresome after a while.

Dear devs,

As someone who has never found it possible to use WASD (or the WASDQE method for turning and strafing), I always assign the right arrow keys on the keyboard to forwards, backwards, strafe left and strafe right.

The other day, I discovered that movement keys could also be used in space battles, but then found that I was unable to use my left and right arrow keys as the game does not also use strafe left and strafe right for space flight, but rather only the turn left and turn right keys.

Could you please add in a simple fix that would allow both turning and strafing keys to be useable for space flight?

Kind regards

llesna

It's kinda funny actually that you bring this up and I never thought about it, but the word for what the turn keys should be doing is "yaw" but is instead a lateral side to side movement (in other words strafing) since there is no rotational turning other than a roll in space combat.

Edited by mokkh

I agree.

I've often found myself hitting strafe instead of turn in space, and had nothing happen instead of getting out of the way of the meteor.

Thank you for your support there :)

Glad to know it's not just me having this easily-solvable problem.

• 2 weeks later...
It think the best solution would be to make the space keymap completely separate from the ground keymap. I would love to rebind some keybinds for the space mini-game, as I just can't enjoy playing it with my regular ground keybinds. Being able to map the space part to a joystick/gamepad would be great, too.

It think the best solution would be to make the space keymap completely separate from the ground keymap. I would love to rebind some keybinds for the space mini-game, as I just can't enjoy playing it with my regular ground keybinds. Being able to map the space part to a joystick/gamepad would be great, too.

Some good ideas there! Thank you for the post!

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck. When I asked for this around release, I was simply berated for needing to l2p and trying to make space missions even easier than they are, as well as numerous people jumping in to say just using the mouse is enough.

Allowing strafe to move the ship has nothing to do with making the missions easier. Rather, they just fix a playability issue.

Good luck. When I asked for this around release, I was simply berated for needing to l2p and trying to make space missions even easier than they are, as well as numerous people jumping in to say just using the mouse is enough.

Allowing strafe to move the ship has nothing to do with making the missions easier. Rather, they just fix a playability issue.

Indeed!

I can but hope that the devs will realise this and spend a tiny amount of time adding these two additional inputs. It really can't be that difficult to add, could it?

• 5 months later...