Why do people leave warzone matches?

LordCamTheGreat

So here I am, trying to enjoy unranked pvp as one does.

Nearly every game I've had so far today, someone leaves. Then another. Then another.

Soon enough, I've seen a dozen people leave and rejoin, completely ruining the pvp experience and preventing any semblance of an enjoyable game.

To all the people who leave warzones, why do you do it?

Do you get some secret achievement or reward for leaving early?

Do people even get punished for ruining the experience of their fellow players?

I've never understood why people do it and after returning from a few year's break, it seems that this is still a big issue.

Nearly every game I've had so far today, someone leaves. Then another. Then another.

Soon enough, I've seen a dozen people leave and rejoin, completely ruining the pvp experience and preventing any semblance of an enjoyable game.

I've never understood why people do it and after returning from a few year's break, it seems that this is still a big issue.

Well, either it's a map they dislike, or they see "bads" on a team and leave it before it begins.

Case in point i just logged my healer which I have not played (ops healer) for a long time and ofc we got a 4v4. Naturally I did poorly too, lol.

Anyway, some jugg started raging about a ****** healer this and that, then on the second round instead of trying he /stuck himself or something not even participating. he then let me know i needed PVP gears or I needed to quit playing altogether.

Then in a Voidstar the next match, he was there and guess what? he did a /spit emote at me before it even began.

Point is some players have no care if their behavior impacts your experience negatively in fact they are more than happy to make your match worse if they can just out of spite. After a second match I put up better numbers (top heals on team) and he said nothing.

These type of players are the same ones who quit when they die once, or when the match starts to go sideways. Honestly he was average or worse than average after looking at his numbers. Ironic.

Edited by Lhancelot

I leave if it's vandin, possibly OPG, and/or if the group is clearly going to lose. this is because a loss is less than half a win in rewards. so if I leave 1 minute in and I knew it was a loss? I go in, leave in 1 minute, reque and get a pop in 2-3 minutes, I didn't lose anything in rewards, but I did get a team reroll on whether it's an instaloss. that being said, after you leave and reroll once you may as well stick it out, win or lose. a third reroll will not garner reward for time invested, you could have lost 2 (rewards) in the time it took to reroll a third time.

how do you know your going to lose? 2 signs. your dieing 4v1 over and over, which means they arent dieing (your team has no dps/support) and/or you are either 3 capped or 0-2 in huttball in the first 3 minutes.

Because

a. I hate hutball to death and I'm instant leaving every time it pops unless my team has names that are good at it and it's easy fast win. Sometimes this is a pain because hutball can easily pop 2, 3 times in a row

b. The team is so totally clueless that it's a massive loss to the point that we are being farmed at spawn points or as soon as we enter the map... Why would you waste your time with that when you can que again and can join a better game.

c. When I am doing my best to win, I cap nodes solo to try and turn the result around and my team doesn't seem to care and they death match and farm dps mid despite calls....This can very frustrating. Why would I stay in a team like that ?

I normally wouldn't leave but sometimes I am forced by the circumstances.. Some players have easily played more than 10k PVP games and they don't have the patience they used to have anymore. ;)

If I feel there is a chance to win I always try my best, but it's true that there are players who instant leave once enemy team has an advantage which is just dumb as I'm sure many of you have been in situations where the result was turned around in the long run and those are always the best wins. ;)

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Bottom line for me is the value of time. If I want to waste my time I can do that myself, I do not need three or four people to do it for me.

I am competitive and when I pvp I want to win. People being selfish and chasing numbers on the sidelines and not helping out is an absolute waste of my time -- they can do the very same thing without me. I will almost always re-queue in that situation and try to avoid those people in the future.

Add to that the fact that rewards for losing are fractional to those of winning and people wasting your time just becomes even worse.

Edited by Monterone

I've started to leave if I get one of...

• a backfill - I used to play these, and sometimes win, but now... no, I'm tired of cleaning up other people's messes. I actually wish that bioware would turn off backfill. (Or, at the very least, give it to people who leave mid match.)
  • Prooving Grounds - hate this map because of the way it usually gets played
  • Any huttball except the original - also hate these maps because of the way they usually get played

I also see people leave for what I believe are these reasons...

• defense on voidstar and the other side gets a "quick" plant on the door
  • an arena (I think a number of people don't like arenas)
  • team gets three capped in NC or ACW
  • team loses both pylons at the end of round 1 in AHG
  • team is apparently getting farmed in any map
  • lose round 1 of arena without killing anyone on the other side
  • lopsided arena

For the most part, I think people either don't like the map (and then usually leave right away), or they decided "this is an unwinnable match" for whatever reason. I've never had a problem with people that leave at the start. Even when I played every map (I mean, I used to HATE arenas, but I played them, and now I don't mind them when I'm in the mood for that) I had no problem with people that left before it started (or as soon as they loaded in anyway).

For people who leave 'the unwinnable match" in the middle, well If I decide to look at it in a good light, I guess it's kind of like a forfeit. The person throws up the white flag, "I surrender, I know we can't win". But you can't forfeit in a PvP match, so quitting is the next best thing. (As an aside, I wonder if people would accept a "vote to forfeit" mechanic (but not for ranked!) - where if say 7 of the 8, or 3 of the 4 vote "yes" it just immediately grants the other team a win, and everyone can move on?)

If I'm looking at it in a bad light, then it's entitled brats who feel that "you don't pay my sub, I can do whatever I want" and that they have zero obligation at all to the other 15 (or 7) people playing. But everyone agreed to the TOS stuff as part of playing, so no, "I pay my sub" doesn't allow me to play any way I want. However, given that a PvP match is guaranteed to ruin the "play experience" for at least half the participants (one side has to lose after all), it's kind of a gray area I think to say that "other people quitting is ruining my experience!", even though I get harked off about it too.

I also think, and have for a long time, that anyone that quits a match after it's started, and then the team they just quit goes on to WIN... those quitters should get a big "LOSER" mark over their heads that stays until they backfill into a match and then win that. :p

To put it simply... 'you don't like where it is going , you leave.' That's it. Many old timers have played so many matches that I think, they (we) no longer have the patience to waste time on a lost cause. Besides nothing is stopping you from re-queue to get a fresh match.

I also think, and have for a long time, that anyone that quits a match after it's started, and then the team they just quit goes on to WIN... those quitters should get a big "LOSER" mark over their heads that stays until they backfill into a match and then win that. :p

I love this idea.

Put a dishonourable sign over them so people feel inclined to target them :D

Seems like there's no reason at all to leave a match if it's close to halfway done. Still see people leaving less than a minute before the game ends if they're gonna lose which makes no sense at all to me.

I love this idea.

Seems like there's no reason at all to leave a match if it's close to halfway done. Still see people leaving less than a minute before the game ends if they're gonna lose which makes no sense at all to me.

You were just listed several reasons why people leave. Did you not read any of them if it still "seems" to you they don't have a reason at all? No point asking "why" if you are ignoring the answers that you disagree on. They are reasons, just not the reasons you were hoping to hear I guess.

For the record, the reasons why I leave a match were already listed above. I only play for crystals these days, and once I get my 8 medals, if we are not winning, I'm out. (that reason wasn't listed yet)

This is something i NEVER used to do, but now, i do a lot.

As to the why, well, here are my reasons...

#1. I dont play queshball or vandenball, ever, the desync of the levels is maddening, people scoring from the bottom level and im shooting at people behind me or above me.

#2. I will only play arenas IF the match is balanced roles wise. If one team has a healer and the other does not, its basically pre-determined.

#3. In all other scenarios, i have chosen to no longer be fodder for trinity premade only players. I dont enjoy wizzing in the wind why would i do this.

All i want is something close to a fair fight. I would rather skip and wait to get hat than play a bunch of matches with the deck stacked against me.

I general wont leave after the match has started in a n effort to not screw over the rest of the team, but i cant say i wont do it if i find out im up against a double premade that wasnt obvious in advance.

Give me a fair fight ill always say GG win or lose and move on to the next, but im not going to stay in a match and get my teeth kicked in for people that dont respect the effort.

Everyone has a different threshold of annoyance. Some people can't force themselves to stay their rage overflows and they leave it doesn't matter if there's 5 minutes left or 25 secs left.

Also, sometimes people do get kicked by the internet.

The few times i really left ( normally, i try to stick through it until the bitter end ) was when my own team was so much overwhelmed it was like ... a jellyfish trying to win against a shark.

My personal record of that was 50 : 1000 in GSF. That was over really quick, though.

I could swear I had made a screenshot of that, but apparingly the screenshot function was buggy then once again. So I can't prove it.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

As of late, the only time I’ll leave a match is when I observe other players blatantly disregarding objectives in favor of attempting to number farm. I’ve always liked Hutt ball very much (still don’t understand how after 8 years we don’t have a ranked Hutt ball league) and attempt to play the maps objectively as possible. Noting grinds my gears more than grabbing the ball and running, unsupported, to the enemy’s end zone and getting slaughtered because my team mates are too busy tunneling in our end zone pit.

I used Hutt ball as the example, but the same is true in all the objective based war zones. Can’t say how many times a node has been lost on Alderran or Yavin4 because of overcommitting or fighting 40 meters away from the node.

The thing that irks me the most about trying to death match in regs is the fact there are ranked arenas specifically made for solo/ team death matching, but people are scared to have their ego bruised if they don’t do well.

If my teammates are under geared, or just not very skilled but still trying to play objectively, I’ll stick around for my 8 medals and not put up too much of a fuss.

As of late, the only time I’ll leave a match is when I observe other players blatantly disregarding objectives in favor of attempting to number farm. I’ve always liked Hutt ball very much (still don’t understand how after 8 years we don’t have a ranked Hutt ball league) and attempt to play the maps objectively as possible. Noting grinds my gears more than grabbing the ball and running, unsupported, to the enemy’s end zone and getting slaughtered because my team mates are too busy tunneling in our end zone pit.

I used Hutt ball as the example, but the same is true in all the objective based war zones. Can’t say how many times a node has been lost on Alderran or Yavin4 because of overcommitting or fighting 40 meters away from the node.

The thing that irks me the most about trying to death match in regs is the fact there are ranked arenas specifically made for solo/ team death matching, but people are scared to have their ego bruised if they don’t do well.

If my teammates are under geared, or just not very skilled but still trying to play objectively, I’ll stick around for my 8 medals and not put up too much of a fuss.

As a healer I will run the ball in huttball, or I will support the ball carriers but what I am finding in the past 2 weeks is it's me, and one other person if lucky that are actually playing the ball. Everyone else is at mid, number farming. The best part is 90% of them put up trash numbers.

QueshBallz is the worst, I mean this map seems to only be good for one thing in most people's minds and that's sitting on the mid level floor fighting each other till it ends.

That's exactly why I leave too. It just seems to me that I do it far, far more than I did before I left and came back. The state of PvP and the overall quality of play went way down. Most players seem self-absorbed and teamwork is a lost art. I want to win, but often, over half the team already gave up before the force field even comes down -- they already forfeited and decided to chase numbers instead. At that point nothing obligates me to keep donating my time to that team.

The thing that people don't realize is there are no emotions in this decision. I'm not angry at these people and quitting because they are bad. They are entitled to play any way they wish to and I can always re-queue and continue working on my second monitor on whatever I was working on before the pop. It's just logical not to waste time.

I agree, most people leave since we have no feature to allow us to exclude certain maps. The logic behind the unwillingness to add this feature is boggling. Oh, we cannot add that feature or people would have less pops. Uhm, people simply leave the matches when they get a map they dislike anyhow, and then a backfill has to happen which is worse.

I'll leave any hutball map. My fav is OPG, unless the other side has a sniper since they can _legally_ cheat to cancel the node (effectively unstoppable), if I see an enemy sniper on that map I leave. Another dumb choice by devs allowing that.

Aside from those, no reason really to leave a match.