Did Captain Rex obey Order 66?

Stowin

So far I have looked in Wookiepedia and other sources so far i know Rex lived though Order 66 but I don't know if he obeyed the order or not. I have crossed off two out of five of the theories to what happened to Rex...

False-He Help Asoka escape....Asoka left the order so how could he have helped her if she didn't need help and left the order, plus it must have been two years at the most since she left the order anyways.

False-Cody offed Rex...I know Rex doesn't die or they would have mentioned that in Wookipedia by now.

Possible-Rex escaped and lived happily with a family thanks to the inspiration of a clone he meant during the Clone Wars Series.

Possible yet highly doubtful-He was so hurt and betrayed he committed suicide...possible yet I doubt this one.

Possible-He followed the order only to regret his actions later.

Any Idea what happened to Rex after order 66 would help thanks...

Edited by Stowin

Order 66 was hardwired into the clones so I imagine he had no choice but to obey, but I like to think he'll defect & join the rebellion to atone for obeying order 66

It was to my knowledge that Order 66 wasn't so much "hardwired" but drilled into their minds just like any Article or General Order of the Sentry in actual militaries. It's just that Order 66 inherently labels Jedi as traitors and that, the clones being the good soldiers they are, it was carried it out to the letter with thoughts of betrayal on the mind.

They must protect the republic, so most of the normal clones obey it without any issues, the thing is if High command tell them the Jedi are attempting a coup they dont have time to go check if its true, orders are orders, most normal clones obeyed but some with more independent and better view of the Jedi (like a few commandos and "Sons" of Skirata) didnt go through with the plan.

The orders are flash memory added to them in their "childhood" and are contingency in-case of coup, like for example Order 65: "In the event of either (i) a majority in the Senate declaring the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) to be unfit to issue orders, or (ii) the Security Council declaring him or her to be unfit to issue orders, and an authenticated order being received by the GAR, commanders shall be authorized to detain the Supreme Commander, with lethal force if necessary, and command of the GAR shall fall to the acting Chancellor until a successor is appointed or alternative authority identified as outlined in Section 6 (iv)."

or

Order 66: "In the event of Jedi officers acting against the interests of the Republic, and after receiving specific orders verified as coming directly from the Supreme Commander (Chancellor), GAR commanders will remove those officers by lethal force, and command of the GAR will revert to the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) until a new command structure is established."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Contingency_Orders_for_the_Grand_Army_of_the_Republic:_Order_Initiation,_Orders_1_Through_150

Ahsoka was no longer a Jedi. Thus, Order 66, which was the contingency to eliminate the Jedi if they tried to usurp the Supreme Chancellor's authority, did not apply to her.

We don't know, however, if she escaped the Purge.

Did Rex obey? I'm sure he did. Unlike Cody, he didn't have to attack the guy that befriended him, as Vader was exempt from Order 66.

It was to my knowledge that Order 66 wasn't so much "hardwired" but drilled into their minds just like any Article or General Order of the Sentry in actual militaries. It's just that Order 66 inherently labels Jedi as traitors and that, the clones being the good soldiers they are, it was carried it out to the letter with thoughts of betrayal on the mind.

In the Clone Wars series it does mention some clones not following order 66 , fiver being one of them , and a bunch of them then set out to help outher clones escape. Later in the Jedi series ( then one where Jacen goes sith ) its learned that some clones went to mandalore and set up camp there with some jedi survivers. Boba Fett had some old clones in his camp , and its then he laerns how he can stop the age advance.

So no, not all clones follower order 66 , and its my thinking that Rex was more in touch with his human traits as apposed to his clone traits. I think after all the time with the Jedi he knew better and just melted into the unknown.

• 4 months later...
"I used to believe that being a good soldier meant doing everything they told you. That's how they engineered us. But we're not droids. We're not programmed. You have to learn to make your own decisions"- Captain Rex

not sure of his actions when the emperor initiated order 66 but with the star wars rebels animated series promotions we know Rex becomes a bounty hunter suggesting he does not stay with the empire and Asoka is alive, with the popularity of Rex in the clone wars I would think this story will be told in rebels

from the rebels wookieepedia

"The series takes place between Episodes III and IV. By this time, Order 66 has been executed and the Empire's search for the last of the Jedi Knights is in full effect. The events seen in the show take place closer to A New Hope in the Star Wars timeline. However, if you stay tuned, you may be in for some surprises...." ―Athena Portillo, Star Wars Insider 146

• 1 month later...

There were several groups of Clones who disobeyed Order 66:

Ion Team (from Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader), Delta Squad and Omega Squad (both from the Clone Commando series) all refused to carry out the order. So it's at least within the realm of possibility that Rex could also have disobeyed.

That being said, we don't know Rex's ultimate fate during the Clone Wars, he may not even have survived to the giving of the Order, or that at the time it was given he may not have been in the field with any Jedi.

Since Rex was a commander of the 501st Legion, it's also entirely possible he was part of the force that accompanied Vader in "Operation: Knightfall", the attack on the Jedi Temple. (That would be my guess for where he was if he survived to the end of the Clone Wars.)

Until some source gives a definitive answer on Rex's final fate during the Clone Wars, it's anyone's guess really.

Edited by DarthDymond

• 8 months later...
Well,in one comic I read (And if I'm wrong,please shun me to death) Anakin removed certain troopers chips that forced them to obey orders, and if it is still canon and correct, Rex was one of them. And knowing Rex from,well,everything,he wouldn't have obeyed Order 66. My theory is that Rex and other clones with their chips removed escaped from the army, and helped start the Military force of the Rebellion.

• 6 months later...

Captain Rex did not obey the order 66. he rounded up alot of good clone troopers to help the jedi.

but the battle between the new clone troopers and the other troopers who had opened up their heart to the jedi ended badly.

alot of the rebel clones were killed and destroyed and also the new clones that was sent out to kill their brother clones under the emperor's command was destroyed.

now after how many years of hiding captain rex and a few number of his brother clones were hiding.

and guess what? their coming back in action on STAR WARS REBELS season 2.

captain rex and 2 more clones will help the rebels and join their adventures along side anakin skywalker only padawan "Ahsoka Tano".

you can check the trailer here:

With season 2 of Rebels coming we can see Rex joining the cast, and quite a number of fans have already analyzed and determined that Rex must not have obeyed Order 66. Some have made stills of him in the trailer and has shown that he has removed his chip.