SWTOR Single panel Webcomic

Pontius_Morgan

This may be too specific to be generally funny, but one quest on, I think, Balmorra, had you finding an imperial officer, lone survivor of his murdered platoon, yadda yadda, and he was all grim and determined to fight on despite his crippling wounds, and you agree to go plant some detonators or override some systems or otherwise "kill a bunch of things and click on some glowing objects"[1], so that he'll agree to crawl back across the blasted ruin to get the help he needs and survive...

...except...

Less than 30 feet away, just around a corner, is a medical droid/respawn point. :)

It looks like the quest designers and the zone designers were just a BIT out of sync. :) I understand perfectly how this happens; at some point in development or testing, they figured they needed a respawn point nearer to the hub of so many quests, etc. It's pretty common when hundreds of people are working on a project and no one can see every aspect of it. But it's still funny.

[1]I tease, but with affection. There's only so many actions an MMO can track, especially if you want server responsiveness, and the thing I really love about SWTOR is that the story, voice acting, etc, gives a lot more context to "Kill ten rats" than the many, many, many, other MMOs I've tried. As much as I loved EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, and others, I never logged off and spent time wondering what was going on with thus-and-such NPC or if I'd ever see so-and-so again in another quest... and I do with SWTOR. Win.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another player suggestion, as mentioned, this is pretty common in all video games. Safety standards in these worlds are all but ignored, after all, why does safety matter when you carry enough explosives to level a city or run with a laser sword?

http://www.theminionslayers.com/comics/2012-02-02-osha_.png

Edited by Pontius_Morgan

This may be too specific to be generally funny, but one quest on, I think, Balmorra, had you finding an imperial officer, lone survivor of his murdered platoon, yadda yadda, and he was all grim and determined to fight on despite his crippling wounds, and you agree to go plant some detonators or override some systems or otherwise "kill a bunch of things and click on some glowing objects"[1], so that he'll agree to crawl back across the blasted ruin to get the help he needs and survive...

...except...

Less than 30 feet away, just around a corner, is a medical droid/respawn point. :)

It looks like the quest designers and the zone designers were just a BIT out of sync. :) I understand perfectly how this happens; at some point in development or testing, they figured they needed a respawn point nearer to the hub of so many quests, etc. It's pretty common when hundreds of people are working on a project and no one can see every aspect of it. But it's still funny.

[1]I tease, but with affection. There's only so many actions an MMO can track, especially if you want server responsiveness, and the thing I really love about SWTOR is that the story, voice acting, etc, gives a lot more context to "Kill ten rats" than the many, many, many, other MMOs I've tried. As much as I loved EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, and others, I never logged off and spent time wondering what was going on with thus-and-such NPC or if I'd ever see so-and-so again in another quest... and I do with SWTOR. Win.

I would agree that there may be some disconnect, but, You are the hero in this world. Imagine how lost everyone would be if your character didn't exist.

Another player suggestion, as mentioned, this is pretty common in all video games. Safety standards in these worlds are all but ignored, after all, why does safety matter when you carry enough explosives to level a city or run with a laser sword?

http://www.theminionslayers.com/comics/2012-02-02-osha_.png

This totally killed me. I'm an engineer and I might have to print this out to hide in my office. Awesome, awesome, awesome my friend!

these are truly brilliant! well done good sir!

I was wondering about a concept regarding equippable gear that has a dark/light score cost.

I could picture a Jedi eyeing up some new gear on a stall, with a dark side point cost, with his other hand outstretched having knocked some poor kids ice cream onto the floor.

What the last poster said got me thinking.... given how DS/LS reward items are mostly cosmetic.... I have this image of a female Jedi/Sith, perhaps in tasteful underwear, looking at a closet split between "Dark Side" and "Light Side", with a caption along the lines of "Rarely has it been so easy to see the full consequences of abstract moral choices and ethical dilemmas"

Or anything else that plays with the idea of "Do I massacre the innocents, or do I show mercy? Well, which option gets me cooler clothes?"

What the last poster said got me thinking.... given how DS/LS reward items are mostly cosmetic.... I have this image of a female Jedi/Sith, perhaps in tasteful underwear, looking at a closet split between "Dark Side" and "Light Side", with a caption along the lines of "Rarely has it been so easy to see the full consequences of abstract moral choices and ethical dilemmas"

Or anything else that plays with the idea of "Do I massacre the innocents, or do I show mercy? Well, which option gets me cooler clothes?"

maybe a female sith buying an item, with some credits in one hand and an electrified person in the other saying do you accept cash or charred

Edited by Kyus

These are great! The capture the essence of a lot of things in game. I have a suggestion for a comic:

Picture a female Sith Inquisitor wearing a Slave Girl outfit (from Nar Shaddaah), looking very annoyed. A robe is draped somewhere in scene. Caption: "NOW can I wear pants?"

This is a reference to the Sith Inquisitor/Jedi Consular classes that have very few pant options.

Edited by MBillard

On dealing with mob aggro:

Bloody perfect.

Sometime during the end of beta, I remember something like this:

Me:"So, isn't it a little odd that the guys in the factory are standing around while I massacre them? I mean, isn't someone going to say, 'Hey! He shot Bob! Let's get him!'"

Someone else in chat:"Maybe nobody liked Bob."

Me:"Hm. OK, that makes sense."

(I occasionally ponder how you could do a 'realistic' handling of aggro that was anything other than 'the entire damn area converges on your position as soon as the screams of the dying and your explosive ordnance echo through the compound'. No answers yet, but I suppose someone will solve it. )

Before someone starts going on about how it's all WoW's fault... I remember in EQ, after a bad fight that wasn't a wipe, we huddled in a corner healing and buffing and waiting for mana to regen, all the while staring at some mobs standing just across the room, staring at us, and we were wondering just how close we could get before they'd aggro...

Bloody perfect.

Sometime during the end of beta, I remember something like this:

Me:"So, isn't it a little odd that the guys in the factory are standing around while I massacre them? I mean, isn't someone going to say, 'Hey! He shot Bob! Let's get him!'"

Someone else in chat:"Maybe nobody liked Bob."

Me:"Hm. OK, that makes sense."

(I occasionally ponder how you could do a 'realistic' handling of aggro that was anything other than 'the entire damn area converges on your position as soon as the screams of the dying and your explosive ordnance echo through the compound'. No answers yet, but I suppose someone will solve it. )

Before someone starts going on about how it's all WoW's fault... I remember in EQ, after a bad fight that wasn't a wipe, we huddled in a corner healing and buffing and waiting for mana to regen, all the while staring at some mobs standing just across the room, staring at us, and we were wondering just how close we could get before they'd aggro...

lol, that's kinda what led to this comic. One way I could see this working is if the mobs are divided into sections, or fire teams, per area. That is, if you enter an area, intelligent mobs would sound an alarm and other defense points would go into battle stations. All the while, Alpha team would be dispatched to eliminate the threat. When(if) you die, you buff up and heal up in a safe area and make your way back.

It's a bit sketchy, I know, and needs work, but Hell, I don't play games for realism, I just make fun of it as a way to cope. :)

Love your work alot :), They always me me laugh. Keep at it!

I also agree with the aggro thing, My trooper and Aric will be spraying bullets at a target, Whilst a big group of mobs are behind us like nothing happened.

'Loud gunfire'

"Hey, Did you hear something?"

'Slurps cup of coffee' "Nope"

Edited by Zagoner

Love the recent comics! :D

I have a suggestion for a scenario in the comics:

There was one time that I sent out Aric for a Scavenging mission. Six minutes later, the mission was a failure, but guess what Aric Jorgan said:

"GOOD NEWS."

Then I thought to myself: "What the FUUUUUUUUU?! Mission failed and you're telling me it's good news?! :mad:"

Edited by GreenLionPilot

Love the recent comics! :D

I have a suggestion for a scenario in the comics:

There was one time that I sent out Aric for a Scavenging mission. Six minutes later, the mission was a failure, but guess what Aric Jorgan said:

"GOOD NEWS."

Then I thought to myself: "What the FUUUUUUUUU?! Mission failed and you're telling me it's good news?! :mad:"

That was actually the premise of one of my earlier comics, just a little reversed.

That was actually the premise of one of my earlier comics, just a little reversed.

Oh. Well in that case, my other suggestion is about how companion characters would react to opposite-side choices, for instance:

I have a BH, which I'm trying to get to the Light Side but reacts like she hates you.