Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Guide: Sentinel Combat/Focus PvP Min/Max for 2.0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
Guide: Sentinel Combat/Focus PvP Min/Max for 2.0

Dawginole's Avatar


Dawginole
05.11.2013 , 02:38 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
You're recommending mixing PVE and PVP gear for instance.
Run the numbers on a reduction in endurance versus the reduction in expertise defense from the slight reduction. Let's see what we get. I look forward to your post on this, seriously!

Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
You make no distinction between Combat and Focus build. You say power all the way, but what about crit? What about accuracy? And why one over the other?
This is mainly a combat spec build but I run with several focus spec sents that run this build and are seeing 9k+ force sweeps which is why I included that spec in the thread title. If you can find a better build then that's okay and I would encourage you to use that one.

Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
When should you choose strength over power?
You never have to choose strength over power. Power is an offstat. You can choose power over critical, accuracy, or alacrity. If you are speaking of augments, I also confronted this issue in the OP and stated the basic premise behind going with strength or power augments and you are free to fight that out in another thread. There are plenty of strength vs. power augment rage threads on the boards to participate in.

Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
Have you done any theorycrafting or is this guide just based on what sounds right?
No offense, but you sound kinda new to Sentinel with questions like this. That's fine, that's what the guide is for.

Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
For instance, what's the damage boost you'd get from stacking full power to full strength augments? What's the number for Focus vs. Combat in this scenario?
Once again, you seem to be asking a lot of questions that were either answered in the OP or have nothing to do with the OP. So your criticisms of the thread come across as nonsensical. I realize it was a very long post and people may miss things by skimming the info. So no worries.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

iheartnyc's Avatar


iheartnyc
05.13.2013 , 12:28 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
You never have to choose strength over power. Power is an offstat. You can choose power over critical, accuracy, or alacrity. If you are speaking of augments, I also confronted this issue in the OP and stated the basic premise behind going with strength or power augments and you are free to fight that out in another thread. There are plenty of strength vs. power augment rage threads on the boards to participate in.
It's crap like this is why I'm criticizing your guide of being incredibly superficial and simplistic. You know that you can choose "strength heavy" vs. "power heavy" mods in your PVP armorings right? Go to the PVP vendor and check out the difference between the Challenger and Weaponmaster and Vindicator sets, and then the individual mods which you can buy, and tell me again how you never have to choose strength over power. Next time learn to count numbers before calling someone nonsensical (no offense, of course ).

If you want people to pat you on the shoulder for being awesome good for you. I hope people follow your guide - crappy sentinels means less QQ nerf threads.

If you want to be taken seriously, do some DPS parsing in different gear combinations (assuming you have actually farmed all the gear and multiple iterations of the Conqueror mods/enhancements and have full sets of both the advanced Strength and Power augments in order to try a wide range of combinations of stats, something I seriously doubt you have accomplished so far). I haven't played around with SimC since 1.2 so I don't know if it's updated or if there is any similar program out there for SWTOR, otherwise you're just going to have to do dummy parses and grind all of the gear.

And all offense intended.

Dawginole's Avatar


Dawginole
05.14.2013 , 12:41 AM | #23
First off, please calm down with the rage. If you want to discuss builds, try to do so in a civil manner.

Secondly, I misunderstood your question and thought you were inferring to augment options in your question. I can't read your mind. Various builds have been heavily tested and the power heavy set up always wins out. By next week I should have a full set of two sets of other mods and enhancements and will be happy to parse them.

The reason for this is because you are stacking Bonus Damage. Both strength and power contribute to bonus damage, but with the available mods/enhancements you can stack more total power than total strength. So with power heavy mods/enhancements you are stacking more total strength and power for your bonus damage. Strength also combines with critical to compute your crit chance. With the new method of computing crit, you could stack it to your hearts content and you still will not get back to the pre-2.0 magic number of 30% crit chance.

However, another reason Combat spec does not have to worry about crit chance as much is because its heavy hitter is Blade Storm which has a 100% crit chance with Opportune Attack. This is also why instead of worrying about critical, we heavily stack Surge. Because Surge affects the Critical Multiplier. So an appropriately buffed Sent with this gear should be in the area of 75% Critical Multiplier, with a 100% Crit Chance, and the highest possible Bonus Damage on their heaviest hitter.

Good luck to you as you find your own gearing path!
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

atschai's Avatar


atschai
05.14.2013 , 03:28 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
It's crap like this is why I'm criticizing your guide of being incredibly superficial and simplistic. You know that you can choose "strength heavy" vs. "power heavy" mods in your PVP armorings right? Go to the PVP vendor and check out the difference between the Challenger and Weaponmaster and Vindicator sets, and then the individual mods which you can buy, and tell me again how you never have to choose strength over power. Next time learn to count numbers before calling someone nonsensical (no offense, of course ).
There isn't really a choice between strength or power. You just take the mod which has the greater sum of both which is the mod or enhancement with lowest endurance. Easy as that. Power and strength are virtually identical when it comes to contribution to actual damage. Crit is usually way behind. Theres no need to run any sim or do any parsing for that. It is known .

Dawginole's Avatar


Dawginole
05.14.2013 , 01:24 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by atschai View Post
There isn't really a choice between strength or power. You just take the mod which has the greater sum of both which is the mod or enhancement with lowest endurance. Easy as that. Power and strength are virtually identical when it comes to contribution to actual damage. Crit is usually way behind. Theres no need to run any sim or do any parsing for that. It is known .
Correct. So on the Deft Mod 27X you have a total of 95 strength + power. Where as on the high strength version (27AX) you only get 88 str + pwr. Which is 7 points toward your bonus damage x 9 slots for 63 points across the board toward the bonus damage calculation (which is hidden).

There is not a better mod for Sentinel.

I would guess nyc will not be chiming in further. He understands there is a difference between mods, but doesn't seem to understand how those stats are affecting his damage output or even how the basic damage proc for the Combat spec works.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

Akfuia's Avatar


Akfuia
05.15.2013 , 06:32 AM | #26
Might it be better if there was a point allotment chart to plan your distribution of these stats? Since we are dealing stacking numbers and/or applying parses, I think it may be better to visualize a sort of cap of sorts to better determine what is optimal instead, of just mentioning to plug in primary,secondary and tertiary numbers.

Another note on parsing, since only a select few can attempt perfect and consistent with taking into account of ms lag, not every parse would come out the same. So because you can deal the best DPS, not everyone can maintain what some users can do.

Most of us can add I hope; though not all may go the extra long mile to grind up multiple gear sets or setup scenarios for combat parsing without the worry of combat elements coming into play to interrupt sustainable damage. Having a visual of a cap might just help out with the planning to tweak your own optimal min/max.

Other notes, I tend to find min/max to have certain bias on preferences, so I tend to setup a few changes here and there regardless of what is the standard. Also, thank you for taking your time to setup and help out those whom do not know better in building a better character to compete with.

mlambros's Avatar


mlambros
05.19.2013 , 01:23 PM | #27
Great post! I'm currently basing my Sentinel gearing on this!
Is there anyway you can post a summary of all the items in their purchase order (from zero to Conqueror) so we don't have to keep scrolling through the thread?

Dawginole's Avatar


Dawginole
05.19.2013 , 03:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by mlambros View Post
Great post! I'm currently basing my Sentinel gearing on this!
Is there anyway you can post a summary of all the items in their purchase order (from zero to Conqueror) so we don't have to keep scrolling through the thread?
Like a Cliff Notes? Yeah I'll try to add something later today.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

Dawginole's Avatar


Dawginole
05.20.2013 , 01:58 AM | #29
Added cliff notes with a shopping list at the end of the main post.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

mlambros's Avatar


mlambros
05.20.2013 , 06:09 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
Added cliff notes with a shopping list at the end of the main post.
Thanks! That will help a lot!
Another thing that might be useful is if you create your min/max build in the Ask Mr Robot Armory and post the link.
Just a suggestion so we can see everything equipped together...