Aric Jorgan/Elara Dorne Promotion Question

Revanchilist

Hey everyone, sorry to bother u guys but I have a quick small question concerning the Trooper story/whatever about the beginning of Act II.

As you know, when you are promoted to Captain you choose an Exectuive Officer as your second-in-command. And although I really, really, really, REALLY wish I'd just promote Elara, I think Jorgan truly does deserve the promotion to Lieutenant, his ORIGINAL rank. ANYWAYS, I'm probably going to promote Jorgan because it is rightfully his, but here's the question:

If I promote Jorgan over Elara, does it hurt/remove any chance of romancing Elara?

In other words, does my decision affect what Jorgan/Elara think of me? Because in the unlikely chance that I can't successfully romance Elara if I promote Jorgan, I'll promote her instead. Just curious, wow I just realized how long this 'quick question' is and sorry you had to read all this haha. Leave your answer down below, any and all answers are appreciated.

Jorgan's behaviour towards you at the very start of the game shows how he deals with subordinates. I wanted an option in conversation that said "I may just be a Sergeant, but which of us in in Havoc Squad and which of us was posted to a miserable dead-end command on a dump like Ord Mantell?".

He's an arse and was demoted by a General. Re-promoting him gives that General the finger and puts him in authority over a model officer who had the courage to defect from the Empire to the Republic.

Jorgan can sit at Sergeant until the entire squad gets promoted when you make Major. He's a bully and I wouldn't put him in command of a latrine-cleaning duty of cadets.

Jorgan's behaviour towards you at the very start of the game shows how he deals with subordinates. I wanted an option in conversation that said "I may just be a Sergeant, but which of us in in Havoc Squad and which of us was posted to a miserable dead-end command on a dump like Ord Mantell?".

He's an arse and was demoted by a General. Re-promoting him gives that General the finger and puts him in authority over a model officer who had the courage to defect from the Empire to the Republic.

Jorgan can sit at Sergeant until the entire squad gets promoted when you make Major. He's a bully and I wouldn't put him in command of a latrine-cleaning duty of cadets.

Jorgan is not a bully. He's simply direct and wastes no time in getting the job done. Just because he isn't nice doesn't make him a bad solider. I met many people like him while was a US Marine. They are simply blunt people.

You're the kind of person i wouldn't have in command of latrine-cleaning. I'd trust jorgan at my back in combat. He gets the job done and doesn't worry about being nice about it.

Want to be nice, combat is the WRONG place for it.

No, neither Elara nor Jorgan makes a big fuss if you don't promote them even if you are romancing them.

Jorgan very much does make a fuss if you don't promote him. His very next conversation afterwards has him do nothing but rail on your character, angrily question your decision and Dorne's competance and tell you you don't know leadership material when you see it.

Edited by Bleeters

Jorgan very much does make a fuss if you don't promote him. His very next conversation afterwards has him do nothing but rail on your character, angrily question your decision and Dorne's competance and tell you you don't know leadership material when you see it.

Well i hadn't seen it but on the other hand, you don't at that point know much about Dorne's competence, character or how she leads troops into battle. Plus he got demoted and then passed over for a chance back as a LT. Yeah I would say i'd be a tad pissed too.

I was really pleased to have the chance to promote him. I love Dorne, she's my girl's sister-she-never-had, but Jorgan's the type of person I'd want running things if I wasn't around - gets stuff done and values his people's safety, even if he's a little harsh to begin with. Good man. Very good man. *wanders off muttering about rarity*

I don't begrudge Jorgan being angry, even if a previous conversation part way into act one had him expressing how he's not concerned with his rank anymore, felt it was distracting him from what he signed up to do, and is just proud to be a member of Havoc squad and blowing up Imperials like he'd wanted. Who knows, maybe he changed his mind.

I did begrudge him actually turning that into hostile accusations of promoting Dorne just to spite him and other assorted drivel.

Jorgan is not a bully. He's simply direct and wastes no time in getting the job done. Just because he isn't nice doesn't make him a bad solider. I met many people like him while was a US Marine. They are simply blunt people.

You're the kind of person i wouldn't have in command of latrine-cleaning. I'd trust jorgan at my back in combat. He gets the job done and doesn't worry about being nice about it.

Want to be nice, combat is the WRONG place for it.

Where did the personal attack come from? Jorgan is NOT giving orders in combat, he's being deliberately abrasive and offensive in a briefing in front of the rest of Havoc Squad. He also whines like a little girl when you promote Dorne. I had sergeants like him in the force, and they got zero respect from the men and women under them.

And no, I'm not going to make some personal attack in return.

Where did the personal attack come from? Jorgan is NOT giving orders in combat, he's being deliberately abrasive and offensive in a briefing in front of the rest of Havoc Squad. He also whines like a little girl when you promote Dorne. I had sergeants like him in the force, and they got zero respect from the men and women under them.

And no, I'm not going to make some personal attack in return.

If you wanted to take it as a personal attack well that's up to you. I was merely sticking up for guys like him. And i can empathize with him on being demoted for something that wasn't your fault then being passed over, yeah i'd be pissed too!

Point is, he's not a jerk, he's simply more focused on getting the job done than being nice. Sorry not everybody you meet is going to take the job with a big smile on his face with sunshine and flowers.

Some are just grouchy people, but doesn't mean they don't get the job done. When on Ord Mantell, when Havoc doesn't respond, he doesn't go all to crap, he makes quick intelligent decisions and keeps the mission on track.

Sound like a weak officer to you? Not me. I'll deal with the abrasiveness if he can think quickly like that and make informed decisions.

I don't really see how Dorne is an improvement over Jorgan in terms of attitude. While Dorne says that Jorgan is abrasive, she's not exactly motherly and sweet to other soldiers herself - notice how everyone on Taris wants her to get the hell out of their way because of how obnoxious she is in citing regulations instead of just letting you work?

I think I'd prefer the flexible, if sometimes abrasive, Jorgan as my CO over a completley inflexible prat like Dorne... who still manages to be a hypocrit by abusing the system for her own gains if you romance her.

• 3 months later...

Gender and romance issues aside, each represents a certain military stereotype.

Dorne is the ideal officer, she follows orders, knows (and obeys) all the regs. If there is a reg on how to handle something, she'll know how to handle it. You can see in conversations that she preps for every mission by reviewing all known intel. Dorne is the one that you'd want in support, besides the obvious healing, she would be able to help you with mission prep and any questions regarding the "politics" of the military and it's regs. She would most likely move high up in the ranks as the higher you go, her adherence to rules would serve her well as a general.

Jorgan is the more realistic soldier, he'll bend (but not break) the regs to achieve the mission goal. If a superior officer orders him to do something questionable, he won't hesitate to refuse. He's the guy you'd want in the trenches with you, the "no man left behind" type of soldier. Jorgan wears his heart on his sleeve, so he comes off as being a bit abrasive. Jorgan would not be the kind of soldier that would ever get high in rank as the "bureaucracy" would rub him wrong, thus holding him back. He's a no nonsense, what you see is what you get, type of person.

As for picking the XO it's personal taste really as both companions have pros/cons. Jorgan shouldn't get it just because he got demoted previously. If you feel he's earned it then promote him. On the other hand Dorne went through far more hurdles to get where she is than Jorgan did with the defection and earning the trust of her new allies.

Jorgan is a pain in the ***. The dude tells me he isn't concerned about his rank, he wants to 'be where the action is.' and is proud to be on Havoc Squad blasting imps to hell. Seeing as how he'd probably make a better drill instructor than CO, I pass him up, and he whines like i just declawed him.

That said, he has his pluses. Yeah he demands the best from his guys but he also wouldn't hesitate to say 'this is stupid.' about an order and he is willing to stand up to command.

Then again, so does [did] Elara, which was one of the reasons why her command hated her on Taris. They liked to bend the rules in an unfavorable manner and she called them out on it.

Both deserve the promotion for different reasons. However, I promoted Elara because Jorgan was simply too much like my Trooper.

I don't really see how Dorne is an improvement over Jorgan in terms of attitude. While Dorne says that Jorgan is abrasive, she's not exactly motherly and sweet to other soldiers herself - notice how everyone on Taris wants her to get the hell out of their way because of how obnoxious she is in citing regulations instead of just letting you work?

I think the whole point of the choice is that it's not really an easy one to make (it wasn't for me) I don't know if everyone else chose to have a converation with both of them before making the descision (something I'm glad they put in there) but they each really do have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Although, to me it seems like Jorgan is the 'canon choice'. If you let General Garza pick she chooses Jorgan pretty much without even blinking.

I chose Jorgan cause his attitude changed since we first met and he respects you and the chain of command even though he's bitter about the whole thing. I would have picked Dorne cause I kinda dig her style but my Trooper doesn't trust her (yet). :D

on my female trooper i promoted dorne. jorgan openned his mouth bout command at the berginning of act 2. we all know it not good but do have to say out loud in front of the entire squad. sides he past over a promotion back to lt. then throws a hissy fit when you dorne. and if you talk to dorne before promoting one. she point out she knows the enemy and her record speak well

Just a point on Jorgan - he is pretty immature about it at first if you pass him over, but if you take Elara as your companion when you go to Garza (so she gets the rep points for that conversation) and then pick the right dialog option when he whines at you afterward, you get no negative reputation anywhere and actually pick up a +15. I take this as intended to imply that he's not actually mad at the trooper, he's just working off his irrational frustration in grumpy cat fashion.