How exactly do you play the Starfighter PvP combat?

Kilaila

I haven't even been playing the game for a full month and am already hooked, and when a mission came up suggesting an introduction to Starfighter PvP combats, I was willing to give it a go. However, I realized I had no clue what I was doing, how to navigate (OR rather, where to go) how to attack, or find the end goal of the mission and complete it. Plus I kept getting attacked and could only really dodge when I got the chance. How exactly do you do this section?

I haven't even been playing the game for a full month and am already hooked, and when a mission came up suggesting an introduction to Starfighter PvP combats, I was willing to give it a go. However, I realized I had no clue what I was doing, how to navigate (OR rather, where to go) how to attack, or find the end goal of the mission and complete it. Plus I kept getting attacked and could only really dodge when I got the chance. How exactly do you do this section?

Galactic Starfighter is PvP space combat, not any kind of mission(1)(2)(3). There is a basic tutorial, available in the hangar (press "H" if you haven't rebound that to a different function) that will explain how to fly and how to shoot.

The primary problem with GSF is a moderately steep learning curve combined with a very high power difference between new players and GSF veterans, meaning you will frequently be one-hit-killed by people with fully-developed ships, at least until you gather enough reward points to upgrade your ships.

(1) There are [DAILY] and [WEEKLY] missions to reward GSF participation, of the "Complete N GSF battles, wins count double" type.

(2) There are also PvE space missions available in your ship, but they are nothing like GSF, being a fairly straightforward railshooter using your own ship. The <Starship Upgrades> vendors on Fleet and in the spaceports / orbital stations of the planets up to Corellia sell items you can use to boost your ship's power.

(3) Some GSF maps are objective-based (defend these points, attack the enemy points, capture-the-flag, etc.), but the essence remains "kill the enemy players".

As Steve already said there is a tutorial, where you get to fly around, but it wont help you much in terms of getting better at PVP GSF. GSF is very hard to get into as there is only a small part of the player base actually playing GSF and those gotten pretty good by now. The same goes for the ship loadout, which is very very important.

However, if you have done the introduction to GSF you did get rewards, which grant you a lot of points that you can use to upgrade one ship to almost top status. Its good to read some GSF guides (only old ones, there are no new one). The best one is Stacies GSF guide, just google it.

• 2 weeks later...
I que'd for GSF without doing the tutorial and one of the guys in my group thought I was trolling/throwing the match. Even went as far as to call me names and be nasty in general. For anybody that wants to play GSF, I recommend doing the tutorial first if you're sensitive or just don't want to deal with toxicity for being clueless.

Hello, nice to meet you! And very nice to see a new face in GSF! (That's the name of the Starfighter PvP.)

After you are in game (logged into a character), if you press Esc and select Preference, there should be a Starfighter tab at the bottom. There you can find and customise most keybinds, like which keys to shift power, which to use abilities, which to roll left/right, etc. You should still go through the "Tutorial" button in the GSF Hanger screen first.

You may also customise the interface. When doing that, you can select Galactic Starfighter to show its boxes and move/zoom them. I recall that the default layout spread your status around, which I don't like.

Once it pops, there are only two kinds of match each with their set of maps - Domination or Team Deathmatch.

If you see A,B,C on the map, it is Domination. Usually everyone boost to the stations in two teams, leave a bomber to guard a safe station or two, and the rest try to capture another station / protect stations / scatter the enemies.

If there are no station markers, it is a Deathmatch. The team that kill most wins. Stay together supporting each other - strikes go dogfight, scouts chase away gunships, bomber lay a forward base where gunships can support the fight and the wounded can get repairs or at least shake off chasers.

It is... quite normal to die a lot in GSF. It can be very fast paced. Someone must die the most, on both sides. There are several techniques - environmental awareness, knowing the map, knowing the ships and gears, shifting powers, missile lock counters, flow and roles etc. that you'll need to pick up on the way, but team play is usually prime and foremost. Two three players who support each other can normally overpower a lone ace on a suiciding team.

Edited by ElleSheepy