Game not recognizing itself

Selethar

I just re-installed the game and am getting the same message at login. All my characters are grayed out and I see the message telling me I can play the game at the starting worlds

That's because BitRaider has downloaded and installed enough of the game to get a new player going on the starter worlds, but it hasn't finished downloading the rest. Until it has downloaded *everything* else, it only lets you play on the starter worlds.

The order in which things are downloaded is a bit random, other than the minimum stuff for the starter worlds, so even if you have a character on one of those planets, you're likely to see oddities such as people running around in shapeless bright pink armour - CM gear is not on the "minimum stuff" list, so until your BitRaider downloads the specific data for that armour piece, the game has no idea what shape it should be, nor what colour it should be.

There are two ways to mitigate this:

* Start the download, then close the client and follow the instructions for removing BitRaider.(1)

* Wait.(2)

(1) There are various sources for this:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/td-p/4867417

(The link given above was posted by OwenBrooks's alter-ego on the ea.com support forums.)

(2) BitRaider is significantly flaky in other ways, so following the instructions to remove / disable it is worth doing.