Will sorcerers die?

Exspara

My main is a sorcerer on the Harbinger and I do really well for myself as a dps sorc. I usually can get my 300k medal in any wz and my highest dps record is close to 800k in a huttball (there are other sorcs that are better than me on my server as well). The reason sorcs have a bad reputation for being a bad class is our skill gap is higher than other classes. It took me a whole year to get the skills I need to become competitive in wz's and duels. You have to really care about learning your class and take time to see where improvements can be made. Yes our dps could use a little buff and our survivability could use a little one too but you have the potential (If you work at it) to be a major factor in every wz (including rateds). Here are some tips to follow for any up and coming sorcerer:

1. always be on the move, example: if a mara/jugg leaps to you and then ravages move out of the way, do not tank a ravage as you can get away from the 3rd hit and maybe even the 2nd. Also, (you have to practice this) when they leap you can knock them back in mid air and hopefully you specced into electric bindings.

2. Be aware of your surroundings, move the camera in back of you real quick to see if anyone is coming so you can run away or to the sides of you.

3. Line of sight everything, keep a heal as an easy button to get to so as soon as you los incoming damage you can heal up fast. Also, have a place to line of sight already thought of in your mind and make sure you can get there with force speed. Do not use force speed to chase anyone down, use as an oh **** button when taking too much damage and speed to your los place.

4. Even when retreating you should still be doing damage. cast affliction on whoever as you force speed away and even force slow. Use affliction then force slow as openers in any fight.

5. Purge yourself of any slows you can such as force crush so you can get away easier. Also, when going up against another sorc do not purge affliction, only crushing darkness.

6. For force management in madness, you cannot stand there and tab dot everyone as you will run out of force too quickly. So, tab dot tab dot spam force lightning or you can tab dot three times and then spam force lightning to not run out of force. For healers, you have to go hybrid heals/lightning and use your hot then use your big heal to manage your force. Also, if you lack in the overall health department you should be biochem and use the rakata stim(reusable) and the fortitude stim for healers(boosts health).

7. Use your interrupt on stupid grav rounders and other sorcs/sages even on healers as well.

Well thats all that i can think of, if you have any questions, come on to the harbinger and visit with me. I am proud to be a sorc becuase we are underpowered and still kick the **** out of overpowered classes. That is how you know you are a good player, by being a good sorc.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the upcoming changes to Sorcerer, from what I've seen from the datamined information and if these changes are in decent trees/places on said trees we will become very powerful. Right now I'm not too fussed about my damage because I'm no where near min/maxed and I'm hitting 4k death fields and my FL crits for 1.1k ticks which is plenty of damage. Like I said above, if our survivability changes are somewhat viable to talent into we may become even more deadly.

Oh and there's a datamined talent that allows Force Lightning to add a DoT effect to the target which deals X kinetic damage aswell so if they don't lower FL damage we'll output even more.

Edited by WaldoA

A lot of that mysterious info that has come up lately about what's to come gives a lot of promise to this class. Defensive CD, another escape move, damage increase across the board... all things that our class feedback thread has been screaming for.

here's to hoping it's all true.

I hope it is true, I would like to dust off my sorcerer so I can do ranked as dps. Healing is nice and all, but its the only position typically open for sorc in pvp.

Also to whoever said my damage in full lightning is all dot damage, that is highly incorrect. My damage is a lot more concentrated and bursty than any hybrid or madness spec. I like that challenge and burst capability that full lightning brings. This is not to say however that sorcs do not need a buff, they most certainly do. The majority of sorc damage is aoe fluff and for a class based upon kiting for mobility it has one of the easiest mobility to shut down.

I just don't want to viewed as a liability to my team because I play a dps sorc. Anyone can heal but to pull off a dps sorc is a lot more work. Sadly even if you are skilled enough to play a dps sorc effectively you still aren't as effective as other dps classes .

No one is forcing any one to play anything else.

But, every time I do new char I think, what it would be doing. Will it be a healer? or a dps? or a tank? Will it be good for pvp? does it have mobility/survival buttons?

If you stick to spec that sucks for pvp, and refuse to adapt, then I'm sorry.

For healing, again, I heard that bubbles are very desirable :rolleyes:, but , was it till 1.2 that my operative healer was 'go away' kinda class? all just assumed they suck and only sorc healers existed? Tons of force for Sorc and energy managment for operative. Every class has pros and cons. One AC is good for pve, other for pvp. Simples.

Do you even realize what the **** you are saying? There is 0 reason why I should have to go Assassin or Shadow to pvp or pve as an Inquisitor or a Consular. Again It isn't so bad as to say we can't pvp but I shouldn't have to stick to one AC or the other so no it's not "simples". Oh and by the way shadow and assassin have it a lot better than we do at the moment. I get it that is how mmo's work. However there is no reason to have one class so far behind another when all we can do is dps or heal as a sorc and we have the lowest armor in the game! We should be pumping out some of the highest dps and heals in pvp. Seeing as pve we shouldn't be getting hit it is less of an issue.

Also to whoever said my damage in full lightning is all dot damage, that is highly incorrect. .

Never said it was all dot damage. I said it is a large part of our dps when left unmolested. If you aren't dotting people up in pvp no matter your spec as a sorc you are doing it wrong. Not to say it's the end all be all of dps but it is still a big factor.

My main is a sorcerer on the Harbinger and I do really well for myself as a dps sorc. I usually can get my 300k medal in any wz and my highest dps record is close to 800k in a huttball (there are other sorcs that are better than me on my server as well). The reason sorcs have a bad reputation for being a bad class is our skill gap is higher than other classes. It took me a whole year to get the skills I need to become competitive in wz's and duels. You have to really care about learning your class and take time to see where improvements can be made. Yes our dps could use a little buff and our survivability could use a little one too but you have the potential (If you work at it) to be a major factor in every wz (including rateds). Here are some tips to follow for any up and coming sorcerer:

1. always be on the move, example: if a mara/jugg leaps to you and then ravages move out of the way, do not tank a ravage as you can get away from the 3rd hit and maybe even the 2nd. Also, (you have to practice this) when they leap you can knock them back in mid air and hopefully you specced into electric bindings.

2. Be aware of your surroundings, move the camera in back of you real quick to see if anyone is coming so you can run away or to the sides of you.

3. Line of sight everything, keep a heal as an easy button to get to so as soon as you los incoming damage you can heal up fast. Also, have a place to line of sight already thought of in your mind and make sure you can get there with force speed. Do not use force speed to chase anyone down, use as an oh **** button when taking too much damage and speed to your los place.

4. Even when retreating you should still be doing damage. cast affliction on whoever as you force speed away and even force slow. Use affliction then force slow as openers in any fight.

5. Purge yourself of any slows you can such as force crush so you can get away easier. Also, when going up against another sorc do not purge affliction, only crushing darkness.

6. For force management in madness, you cannot stand there and tab dot everyone as you will run out of force too quickly. So, tab dot tab dot spam force lightning or you can tab dot three times and then spam force lightning to not run out of force. For healers, you have to go hybrid heals/lightning and use your hot then use your big heal to manage your force. Also, if you lack in the overall health department you should be biochem and use the rakata stim(reusable) and the fortitude stim for healers(boosts health).

7. Use your interrupt on stupid grav rounders and other sorcs/sages even on healers as well.

Well thats all that i can think of, if you have any questions, come on to the harbinger and visit with me. I am proud to be a sorc becuase we are underpowered and still kick the **** out of overpowered classes. That is how you know you are a good player, by being a good sorc.

I use all the above. My second thoughts are that for a Sorc to reach decent DPS (5k DF) must try really hard when for Assins and Mars currently is very easy.

Edited by Aetideus

Okay I get that sorcerers are suppose to be flimsy and all, but why are they like the worst class in the game. The only thing they can do is heal. Sorcerers have been nerfed at least 3 times already. And why do I say this? :confused:

You lost me at "Worst class in the game"

Mercenaries/commando's are way worse than sorcerers are:

Sorcerers are: - very strong in pvp

- very strong healers

- decend dps(they got a higher maximum than mercenaries even.)

1. You get the worst defense in the game. While other classes have medium armor or stealth, we get the wonderful 2k protection of static barrier! Wow amazing! You're dead 1 second later. Not to mention they only have 1-2 main stuns.

Mercenaries got a worse shield, (way higher cd) you get more cc and escape mechanics than mercenaries do.

(Sprint is amazing, I'd love to have that as merc.)

2. Worst skills. Now you are like wait, that is not true. But look: Many bosses have force immunities. Also in pvp, well you are screwed because it seems just about every other class has force damage/ability removal skills or temporary immunities to it. Also their best abilities have cast times which can always be interrupted.

that's why you, first let them remove your spammable dot, and then you unleash your real debuffs.

Mercenaries and snipers also have cast times on their main abilities, which can be interrupted.

3. Worst dps of all of the dps classes. Yes they can heal, but I want to do something BESIDES THAT. What good is a character that will die almost instantly if they can't even do the most damage. :p

This is wrong information.

Operatives and mercenaries have less dps than sorcerers in the same gear quality.

4. Obviously... worst pvp class in the game. And no, you can't even heal then.

again mercenaries are way worse.

5. Worst mobility. You would think force speed would fix this issue. NOPE, in order to make yourself 'useful', you have to stand in the same spot forever, while the enemy runs around you, either interrupting you or forcing your attacks to cancel. Oh yeah almost forgot, then you die.

again mercenaries have less mobility.

6. After you lose all of your force, your dead. There is no way to regain your force (yes other than waiting), besides taking away your health at the cost of slower force regeneration.

So how is that different with snipers and mercenaries?

7. Why the .... is this class the only one that moves while it is regenerating its health and force. Who was the person who came up with Seethe? Did you know it will cancel and say fail if your character steps on a crack or something. And no, Jedi Consulars do not move then they recuperate while they are suppose to be mirrored classes, nor do any other classes. And yes YOU CAN DIE FROM THIS: falling off a ledge, your pvp enemy sees you moving while you are hiding and failing to regenerate, you try to regenerate near a wall but fail and then destroy your keyboard. :mad:

Choose right where to do your skills? Every class requires a minimum of brain power to do anything with it.

Now what is the point of all of this? I want sorcerers to get some major buffs when the level cap goes up to lvl 55. I also do not want sorcerers to be nerfed anymore. I want some sort of advantage over some class in some form, examples: DPS may be good, faster character, can absorb health from others, make static barrier stronger. Could please, please, something be done?

Sorcerers are fine.

Sure they could use a pve dps buff together with mercenaries and operatives.

for pvp they are fine or could use a nerf.(or the other ranged classes buffed)

If you can't play with the current sorcerers I would suggest rolling an even easier class..(sorcerers are pretty much one of the easiest classes to play already....)

yeah any class looks decent when you compare it to the worst class in game. Just because dps sorcs are in a better position than dps mercs doesn't mean the class is fine.

Healing sorcs are currently in a good place in pvp due to the ridiculousness of bubblestun, dps sorcs are a different story however.

yeah any class looks decent when you compare it to the worst class in game. Just because dps sorcs are in a better position than dps mercs doesn't mean the class is fine.

Healing sorcs are currently in a good place in pvp due to the ridiculousness of bubblestun, dps sorcs are a different story however.

Huh? The stun for bubbles is halfway up the lightning dps tree, not healing. Holding out bubblestun as a panacea for healing sorcs is completely misguided. What does it have to do with LOS issues? Interrupt issues? Energy issues. Survivability issues? Healing being nerfed so hard that it cannot keep up with dps. Might as well say because of madness DoTs, sorc healers and lighting dps are fine. Why does bubblestun make healing sorcs ok but not dps sorcs? Ridiculous. Why not just say because of bubblestun, all sorcs are ok, bubblestun is so ridiculously ridiculous that all sorcs are op and all powerful. That's the ticket.

Edited by MotorCityMan

Huh? The stun for bubbles is halfway up the lightning dps tree, not healing. Holding out bubblestun as a panacea for healing sorcs is completely misguided. What does it have to do with LOS issues? Interrupt issues? Energy issues. Survivability issues? Healing being nerfed so hard that it cannot keep up with dps. Might as well say because of madness DoTs, sorc healers and lighting dps are fine. Why does bubblestun make healing sorcs ok but not dps sorcs? Ridiculous. Why not just say because of bubblestun, all sorcs are ok, bubblestun is so ridiculously ridiculous that all sorcs are op and all powerful. That's the ticket.

I don't really need to explain this do I? It's pretty obvious

with the corrp/lightning spec healers get to give bubble stun out for cheap with no cooldown giving the healer a knockback and bublestuns for defense making them a valuable utility. When bubble stun is removed healing sorcs will need some compensation to stay competitive.

Dps sorcs lack the burst damage of other classes and are squishy. You also can only bubble every 5 seconds and it costs more force. Despite the still good utility dps sorcs can give most people don't want them in any serious rated group as dps.

I don't really need to explain this do I? It's pretty obvious

with the corrp/lightning spec healers get to give bubble stun out for cheap with no cooldown giving the healer a knockback and bublestuns for defense making them a valuable utility. When bubble stun is removed healing sorcs will need some compensation to stay competitive.

Dps sorcs lack the burst damage of other classes and are squishy. You also can only bubble every 5 seconds and it costs more force. Despite the still good utility dps sorcs can give most people don't want them in any serious rated group as dps.

Apparently not so obvious. There is a talent that reduces the cast time but there still is a global cool down of 1.5 seconds, and the talent is a 3 second cooldown, not 5.

But I agree with your statement that healing sorcs need some compensation but irregardless of any changes.

Edited by MotorCityMan

Apparently not so obvious. There is a talent that reduces the cast time but there still is a global cool down of 1.5 seconds, and the talent is a 3 second cooldown, not 5.

But I agree with your statement that healing sorcs need some compensation but regardless of any changes.

Fixed it for you. Sorry but that word always bothers me. The compensation they need to give healers and lightning dps sorcerers is less cat time abilities and for those that do to hit a bit harder to compensate for the wind up. I'm not totally on the band wagon when it comes to we are screwed in pvp but it could be better. However it shouldn't be just us. the devs need to bring every class up to the same level. Of course there will always be some slight differences but it can be done without gimmicks like our bubble stun. As much as I love that thing I hate how many stuns are in this game.

Okay I get that sorcerers are suppose to be flimsy and all, but why are they like the worst class in the game. The only thing they can do is heal. Sorcerers have been nerfed at least 3 times already. And why do I say this? :confused:

1. You get the worst defense in the game. While other classes have medium armor or stealth, we get the wonderful 2k protection of static barrier! Wow amazing! You're dead 1 second later. Not to mention they only have 1-2 main stuns.

2. Worst skills. Now you are like wait, that is not true. But look: Many bosses have force immunities. Also in pvp, well you are screwed because it seems just about every other class has force damage/ability removal skills or temporary immunities to it. Also their best abilities have cast times which can always be interrupted.

3. Worst dps of all of the dps classes. Yes they can heal, but I want to do something BESIDES THAT. What good is a character that will die almost instantly if they can't even do the most damage. :p

4. Obviously... worst pvp class in the game. And no, you can't even heal then.

5. Worst mobility. You would think force speed would fix this issue. NOPE, in order to make yourself 'useful', you have to stand in the same spot forever, while the enemy runs around you, either interrupting you or forcing your attacks to cancel. Oh yeah almost forgot, then you die.

6. After you lose all of your force, your dead. There is no way to regain your force (yes other than waiting), besides taking away your health at the cost of slower force regeneration.

7. Why the .... is this class the only one that moves while it is regenerating its health and force. Who was the person who came up with Seethe? Did you know it will cancel and say fail if your character steps on a crack or something. And no, Jedi Consulars do not move then they recuperate while they are suppose to be mirrored classes, nor do any other classes. And yes YOU CAN DIE FROM THIS: falling off a ledge, your pvp enemy sees you moving while you are hiding and failing to regenerate, you try to regenerate near a wall but fail and then destroy your keyboard. :mad:

----- The worst part is that they will probably be nerfed again because people seem to think they are still OP. Yes, the shiny lightning looks intimidating, but its not that scary if you look at it more carefully. :eek:

Now what is the point of all of this? I want sorcerers to get some major buffs when the level cap goes up to lvl 55. I also do not want sorcerers to be nerfed anymore. I want some sort of advantage over some class in some form, examples: DPS may be good, faster character, can absorb health from others, make static barrier stronger. Could please, please, something be done?

Get better at LoSing

Sorcs do lack dps when it comes to wzs but if you want to be on the top of the scoreboard for highest dps I suggest you play a marauder. Sorc is more of a support class meaning they do a moderate amount of dps but occasionally cast a few heals and stuff but one thing I like the most about sorcs is they are a great class for 1v1s.

long post

Have to agree. I just will leave my sorc healer on the shelf until they fix it. No way am I going to spend every 8-12 min wz visiting the med center 12-20 times. In a premade where the healer has a guard on them and peelers of course it is different. But so what? Make the stupid character playable by everyone, not just elite premades.