The Code of the Grey Jedi

Lenlo

For consideration: Here is what I would conjecture what the Grey Jedi Code would be in the time of the Old Republic.

Grey Jedi Code

There is conflict, there is The Force.

There is passion and there is peace.

There is ignorance and there is knowledge.

There is emotion and there is serenity.

There is chaos and there harmony.

Through strength and weakness, I gain a victory.

Through death, my chains are broken

The Force shall set me free.

Being "Grey" is to acknowledge the nature of being human (a life-form) and to transcend the conflict that exists between us and within us, within our very nature and within the natural world.

We want to be excepted as a part of a group and to follow the rules of society; While striving to be an individual with an independent will, thoughts, wishes and goals apart from that society. We as beings continually striving to work out a "balance" between these two states of being in our lives. Good vs. Evil. Noble vs. Ignoble. Jedi vs. Sith. Free Will vs. Destiny.

Being "Grey" allows one to use The Force in all its aspects, while acknowledging the duality that exists within all of us-- that only The Force can resolve. The Force is the unity of our existence in the universe and that which allows us to transcend the universe.

The Star Wars Universe allow us to explore these different and smilingly contradictory aspects of our character and lives in our own universe. I for one will always be "Grey". I will strive to lift myself and my fellow beings to a more perfect state while acknowledging that I can never achieve it without The Force.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously dude? The last post was 2012, this is one of the worst gravedigs I've ever seen. If there isn't a conversation for a topic on the first two pages just start a new thread please, this is just silly.

In the forums where I come from, there just is no thing as "Necroing" and "Gravedigging".

"They say an artist's work is never finished, only abandoned ..." - Taken from The Alan Parsons Project remasters booklets ...

Star Squirrel - Alrik Rassbauer: Bless you both for your words and intent that you posted.

They illustrate what the Gray Jedi Code represents. No Forum is ever dead. It only takes a spark and a willingness to relight the candle of learning and debate on a subject.

May The Force be with you.

• 8 months later...
not to piss anyone off but people who are saying oh either your good or bad sith or jedi well has everyone forgotten that revan was a jedi then he was a sith and then he was a bit of both im not saying i accept the grey jedi theory or code or anything like that but i do believe that you can be a bit of both

not to piss anyone off but people who are saying oh either your good or bad sith or jedi well has everyone forgotten that revan was a jedi then he was a sith and then he was a bit of both im not saying i accept the grey jedi theory or code or anything like that but i do believe that you can be a bit of both

except revan was NEVER Grey. heqwas good or he was evil. never some bizzare "neutral"

There are no "grey" Jedi. The idea of "grey" comes from Jedi following the will of the Force and doing what they think is right. Qui-Gon Jinn and Jolee Bindo are examples of grey Jedi. While they still serve the Jedi order and the Light, they follow what the Will of the Force tells them.

And the Will of the Force strives for balance between the two.

IO used the Gray Jedi Code as the basis for my forearm Tattoo

There is no dark side nor light side

There is only the Force

Balance must be maintained

Balance binds us together

There is no good without evil,

yet they must be kept in check

Little in the universe is inherently

benevolent or malevolent

There is peace yet war

Serenity yet passion, Order yet chaos

As a Servant of the Force

I am a guardian of balance

• 3 months later...
There are no "grey" Jedi. The idea of "grey" comes from Jedi following the will of the Force and doing what they think is right. Qui-Gon Jinn and Jolee Bindo are examples of grey Jedi. While they still serve the Jedi order and the Light, they follow what the Will of the Force tells them.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi

Not all serve the Jedi Order, some act outside of and in disobedience to Jedi Orthodoxy and Council Authority. While they are not darksiders, they are, in many cases, capable of using the Dark Side without -surrendering to it-. Use of darkness is not the same thing as surrendering to it.

Windu might be a good example himself, though he did fit into the type of Jedi mentioned above.

But Revan, before the fall to the dark side, and adopting the Mantle of Sith, was a Grey Jedi.

A Grey Jedi might be better defined as a Jedi who walks the line, who is perhaps in serious danger of falling to the Dark Side, but one who still stands mostly in the Light.

So, after a fashion, many Jedi who fell gradually, could be called Grey while in transition, but that is not to say that the end result will always be a true fall to the darkside.

As Lucas no longer owns Star Wars, and Grey Jedi are such a big part of the thinking and knowledge of many Jedi individuals and philosophies, especially among the community, I would keep it as a possibility. But as one that should be embraced sparingly due to the truly tentative nature of their status as non darksiders.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi

Not all serve the Jedi Order, some act outside of and in disobedience to Jedi Orthodoxy and Council Authority. While they are not darksiders, they are, in many cases, capable of using the Dark Side without -surrendering to it-. Use of darkness is not the same thing as surrendering to it.

Windu might be a good example himself, though he did fit into the type of Jedi mentioned above.

But Revan, before the fall to the dark side, and adopting the Mantle of Sith, was a Grey Jedi.

A Grey Jedi might be better defined as a Jedi who walks the line, who is perhaps in serious danger of falling to the Dark Side, but one who still stands mostly in the Light.

So, after a fashion, many Jedi who fell gradually, could be called Grey while in transition, but that is not to say that the end result will always be a true fall to the darkside.

As Lucas no longer owns Star Wars, and Grey Jedi are such a big part of the thinking and knowledge of many Jedi individuals and philosophies, especially among the community, I would keep it as a possibility. But as one that should be embraced sparingly due to the truly tentative nature of their status as non darksiders.

no all a grey jedi is someone who doesn't nesscarily follow the council on everything. there's no "dark side dabbling" and there's absolutly no evidance for it outside of fanon, and I wish people would stop trying to push their fanon as somehow being truth

no all a grey jedi is someone who doesn't nesscarily follow the council on everything. there's no "dark side dabbling" and there's absolutly no evidance for it outside of fanon, and I wish people would stop trying to push their fanon as somehow being truth

Exactly... As an example, the Imperial Knights were considered "grey" but they would also would say

As Imperial Knights, we obey the Emperor but only as long as he serves the light side of the Force

As a matter of fact while their first duty was to the emperor and not the force...if the Emperor should "go Dark" their duty was to either redeem him to the light or to remove him from power.

• 3 months later...

do to too many pages to go through

but isnt Luke Skywalker a grey jedi?

he learned the light side but at times fought with anger or passiom and then calmed down. soto me a grey jedi is one that moves from light to dark and back again. Not in complete balance but able to spring around

Edited by Mounds

Grey Jedi...

I've used that term myself, but i'm not sure it's the proper term to use. Jedi is an order, a religion. If one stops following their precepts, they may earn themselves a boot. It doesn't automatically make that person a Sith, even if the Jedi might think so. That person will become a Sith if they choose to follow the Sith code and are accepted into the Sith. The Sith accept anyone who wants to join, and kill (or try to) anyone that leaves.

Now if we forgo those 2 religious orders... one could conceivable follow the light or darkness to varying degrees. The old Je'daii sought to strive for a balance between the 2, the Jedi speak of "balance", but it strikes me as just hollow words - they seem, to me, to be far too afraid of emotions and anything even a shade of dark to be able to truly be balanced between light and dark. They're too focused on light. A balanced, reasonable being will not tell themselves that there's no emotion , nor will they fly off the handle and go postal, even when a loved one gets murdered.

Unless there's something in the Star Wars universe's drinking water that prevents this...

"Grey Jedi" has been bounced around before (hence the wiki entry for it). It tends to mean a Jedi that isn't quite so uptight with the Jedi tenets, but is that term proper for that? Maybe, maybe not, but for lack of a better or official term, it's what's being used. George Lucas may not like it, but if that's true, even he should realize that when it comes to light/dark, good/bad, there is no way everyone and everything will exist only in absolutes. Shoulda came up for some way to refer to those people in between.

There are no Gray Jedi because the dichotomy of 'Jedi' and 'Sith' are equated with Good and Evil. In a sense, they are a literary device to represent these two opposing forces. Another analogy can accurately be made between 'creation' and 'destruction.' I suppose they're not how people would act in that fashion.....but each Jedi and Sith represent these concepts, at least in a literary fashion. Strictly on a story basis, they are meant to be a mockup of what habits evil has and what habits good has. In that light, it's a tale of morality.

To be Gray, one would be neither Jedi nor Sith. You'd be something else. The one I know of is Revan. Very powerful indeed, perhaps one of the most powerful ever. Too bad he was held by the emperor for 300 years. I wonder what would've happened to him.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i would agree with you, if Dark Jedi wasn't a thing, Dark Jedi /= Sith
There is no grey Jedi. Jedi in and of itself is a Force-using organization of light. Anything not falling within the Jedi Order's dogma is not considered Jedi, they're considered rogue Force-users, which were outlawed by the Convention of Civilized Systems along with the Sith. Just like there's no such thing as a 'dark' Jedi. There are only Jedi and Sith, everything not falling into either category is simply a person with the Force, possibly in possession (however illegally) of a lightsaber or any other variation of the high-energy particle weapon.

Dark Jedi aren't really "Jedi" anymore though. They don't follow Jedi teaching if they have fallen to the Dark Side, even if they don't join the Sith Order and can't be called Sith. They would probably be more accurately described as "former Jedi" or "Jedi who fell to the Dark Side." "Dark Jedi" is just a convenient shorthand. Edited by OldVengeance

Actually, the Jedi defend themselves from the Sith. The Sith have always been the aggressor. The Sith have always wanted to destroy the Jedi and take over the galaxy. It's always been that way. The Jedi simply defended themselves, but then took a more active role in destroying the Sith to achieve peace. The Sith have always disrupted the peace of the galaxy, the Jedi are the galaxy's peacekeepers. Ergo, they destroy the Sith to keep peace.

This video makes me view differently...

• 2 weeks later...

The way I see it a grey Jedi is just a Jedi that let's the force guide his actions.

They will listen to the force but still adhere to the Jedi code.

Just as a light side Sith is not a morally good person, it's just a Sith that doesn't let his emotions control him.