Advanced Prototype leveling, acceptable to tank??

Redkap

I would like to level as dps but I will be Shield Tech later on. Can I tank and stay alive decently as AdPro or will this severely hurt a group at lower levels? Can anyone direct me to a good AdPro spec?

TYVM

Red~

I levelled to 37 with a Pyrotech spec (the other Dps tree), tanking every Heroic content and instance I could up to The foundry. So I guess you will be doing just fine in a Adv. Prototype spec

Edited by atreyuz

Whats a better leveling spec, Shield, Proto or Pyro?

I would lvl up with one of the dps specs...so either choose proto or pyro I think they can both do good. Pick the one it seems most appealing to you.

Edited by atreyuz

you start to miss the defensive talents when doing flashpoints that are at your level or above once you get into the mid 20's and up content. Rebraced armor in the second tier, and shield vents/ablative upgrades in the 3rd may not look like much but help when your healer isn't totally on the ball and spec'd well for healing. Oil slick is also a really nice defensive cooldown for big pulls.

I would say at least toss points into Intimidation/cumbust/Ion Overload.

This is great news, I was wondering about the same thing myself. Trying to level shield tech was getting pretty tedious.

To be honest leveling as any one thing for a time will seem tedious. With ST if you level with it you can tank properly and efficiently, as you will get to know your defensive abilities and where they are on your hot key set up.

If you level as something else then at 50 decide to tank, you have no idea on what your abilities are, where on the bars they are and how to use them properly. You essentially are a liability until you learn.

I'm just leveling as a PT/ST I can take more on and risk little.

ST is just fine for leveling. I am level 28 on my pure ST right now. I have 7.2k health and I can demolish everything in PvE solo with exception of 4+ content of my level. In WZ I am usually the only tank and I end up with "unbeatable" in 8/10 WZs and with "invincible" in 2/10.

Leveling speed difference between ST and AP specs is negligible. Play the class you want to play at the end game. Getting there in 40 days or 50 makes little difference. As poster above said, if you play DPS until 50 and than switch you will have no idea about your abilities and how to employ them. Your interrupt rotation is key to tanking in TOR, get to know how to best time all four of them.

I am currently leveling as powertech with a mix of AP/F with 3 points in F for Flameburst activating the combustable ammo. I am struggling with some of the heroric missions even with Mako at my side when I use the cobustable ammo but when I use Ion Shell instead I can actually do some of them. I haven't tried ST yet but being tanky while leveling instead of damaging sure seems to be the way to go, to me atleast... I am currently level 18. Edited by Shohrahn

I am currently leveling as powertech with a mix of AP/F with 3 points in F for Flameburst activating the combustable ammo. I am struggling with some of the heroric missions even with Mako at my side when I use the cobustable ammo but when I use Ion Shell instead I can actually do some of them. I haven't tried ST yet but being tanky while leveling instead of damaging sure seems to be the way to go, to me atleast... I am currently level 18.

If you were trying to use combustible cylinder, and you have most of your points speced into advanced prototype., Then you will not be getting the benefit of most of the abilities from the advanced prototype tree. The best abilities in advanced prototype tree require that cylinder to be active.

At least up to 32 instances can be done with fully DPS specced group. I have been running them with a guild group, so results might varry with a pug. Shield tech talents don't give you too much defensively speaking until you start geting block and absorb rating up