Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

Emdix
04.27.2012 , 05:51 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by tenceriker View Post
it never ceases to amazon how much bioware can mess simple things up. Really, you do think anyone is going to transfer from a populated server like the big 4 to a underpopulated dead economy server? Even if you merge them it still wouldn't be enough as people would need to pay to reunite legacies. Free transfers within the next month is the only chance this game has after the failure of bioware to adequately plan for the inevitable contraction. Paid transfer only anger those who were faithful enough to stick with light servers.
this!

GeneralShade
04.27.2012 , 05:58 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by KryptikX View Post
/facepalm

To those taking issue with free transfers only to specific servers... are you serious?

Do you think they want everyone transferring to Swift, Fatman, or Tomb? By designating certain servers as free transfers, they can build up other servers to capacity and then move on to others. Its not really a hard concept.

But yes, if you are just dying to get on to one of the full servers, you have the option to pay for it
This, its simple really. My only concern really is the amount of time available to choose a free xfer or not.. Personally, I'd like to test the waters a bit on a potential destination server before moving my legacy to it.

edit: typos

Scramilton
04.27.2012 , 06:13 PM | #53
I'm waiting for the response saying that "early summer" was a misspeak. Surely he can't possibly mean late June/early July. They've been making it sound like news will be announced any day now. 2 months would just be ridiculous.

amantheil
04.27.2012 , 06:16 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenceriker View Post
It never ceases to amazon how much Bioware can mess simple things up. Really, you do think anyone is going to transfer from a populated server like the big 4 to a underpopulated dead economy server? Even if you merge them it still wouldn't be enough as people would need to pay to reunite legacies. Free transfers within the next month is the only chance this game has after the failure of Bioware to adequately plan for the inevitable contraction. Paid transfer only anger those who were faithful enough to stick with light servers.
Wow.

You already know with 100% certainty what servers people can transfer to/from for free, which transfers will money, and what the impact will be on light servers.

All that despite the fact that Bioware hasn't actually announced when the transfers will ocur, which transfers will be free, which transfers will cost money, or how much money they'll cost.

Seriously, can't you wait for them to at least release SOME details before you start whining about how they screwed it up?

Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Here's a thought....WAIT UNTIL THEY RELEASE THE ELIGIBILE TRANSFER LIST.....before complaining.
Ssssh, that's crazy talk. Why let facts get in the way of good whine?

vfrost
04.27.2012 , 06:18 PM | #55
too late anyway

Abusabus
04.27.2012 , 06:26 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by KryptikX View Post
Heh, summer doesn't technically start in NA until the 21st or so of June (summer solstice).
Yep, but maybe by then the date will be a little more specific. If not? meh...oh well.

ViperI
04.27.2012 , 06:36 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by BradTheImpaler View Post
Oh for crying out loud...
What? You expect it to happen overnight?
There's just no pleasing some folks.
No, I expect them to have some foresight and anticipate problems before they happen. The plan for server transfers should have happened at launch so that they could have already been implemented by now. They knew that MMOs get a huge influx of players immediately at release and then taper off as people leave the game and play less often. They should have had a plan to avoid underpopulated servers from the beginning. They didn't and now they're scrambling to stem the bleeding.

So yes, it's too little, too late as by "early summer" many servers and guilds will be dead. With games like GW2, Tera and TSW coming out very soon, it will be too late to save things. Gratz to those who were lucky enough to start on The Fatman and still have an actual community to play with.
Viper 1
Frozen In Carbonite

bobojoerat
04.27.2012 , 07:01 PM | #58
I couldn't agree more, maybe I should resub for the privilege of paying to join my Aussie and Kiwi friends on their new server seeing BW couldn't be bothered to let active US players in a mainly Aussie guild transfer with their guildmates.
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
This news is FAIL. Very disappointing as a guild master of a once greatly populated guild on a dead server.

He implies that, essentially, in order to ensure you get to go to whatever higher populated server you wish to go to, the possibility exists you'll actually have to PAY for it. Yeah, like I'm going to ask my poor suffering remaining guildmates to PAY to go to an active server. Right, that's going to work real well...

Good luck with that, Dallas Dickinson and Bioware. Congratulations on the hundreds of thousands of subs you'll lose by actually thinking you can charge people for a server transfer. Might even lose mine. Like heck am I going to pay to have my characters transferred in order to actually enjoy the game you guys screwed up the population distribution of.

Free transfers or bust, for this game.

edit: dissenting opinion above aside, I do actually appreciate you sharing the current plans for it. better then keeping us in the dark for X number of weeks further.
Darth Vader! What is best in life?
Bobojoerat: To crush ewoks, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Darth Vader: That is good! That is good.

illgot
04.27.2012 , 07:23 PM | #59
Free Transfer:

"People can now transfer from the most populated servers to some of the more underpopulated servers for FREE!"

"If people want to transfer from servers with low populations we have a new paid service which will cost 30 dollars per character!"

This is what I am afraid of, so I'm not going to hold my hopes. With the new MMOs coming out before this summer, I'm not even sure I'll be here.

noodlehaus
04.27.2012 , 07:29 PM | #60
btw, guild wars 2 has character transfers part of their beta test. trying it out now.