The one genuine mistake BW/EA have made is lack of communication.

msales

The one genuine mistake BW/EA have made is communication, a lot of people have said that they can’t believe the feeling of entitlement that a lot of people have. Personally I don’t feel entitled to access seven days early. (five is another matter). I do however feel entitled to proper communication from EA/BW. Something along the lines of, you will be on wave X, we are currently on wave Y, the ETA on the next wave is Z.

Furthermore I understand the need for a staggered launch, I understand server load and the fact that they can’t have everyone I the same zone at the same time (Though I do worry about the official release day, and Christmas day) However this is a retail product and a lot of people won’t have this level of understanding. A bit of explanation regarding the staggering would have been a good idea.

Some people will never be happy but polite communication goes a long way to keeping most people happy and alleviates frustration.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SR explained that they didn't want to do that, because they are not sure how things will go and they want to keep their flexibility. For example they let in a bonus wave today, based on the server load.

If they were to communicate to people that they will get EA on a certain day, and then not be able to meet that date it would have been much worse.

However it would have been nice to get an idea of how many preorders have been allowed in as a percentage form. But SR said we're not getting that either.

SR explained that they didn't want to do that, because they are not sure how things will go and they want to keep their flexibility. For example they let in a bonus wave today, based on the server load.

If they were to communicate to people that they will get EA on a certain day, and then not be able to meet that date it would have been much worse.

However it would have been nice to get an idea of how many preorders have been allowed in as a percentage form. But SR said we're not getting that either.

I’m not suggesting that they give exact dates times, just keep people abreast of the current state of play and give the odd ETA on waves.

You've gotten it.

You'll be in between now and the 19th. This has been communicated to you.

You're now asking for something additional because you're a child with an entitlement complex.

No I’m an adult with a grasp of customer service.

I’m not suggesting that they give exact dates times, just keep people abreast of the current state of play and give the odd ETA on waves.

I see what you're saying, and I definitely understand the need for communication but I don't think they have the size of the waves set. Still they should be able to make some worst case scenario predictions.

Anyway the truth is a bit more communication would go a long way in quelling the masses.

Oh and could someone please point out the phrase where the OP leaves the impression he is entitled to anything please?

Edited by AllanGand

Then act like one and realize you are entitled to nothing, except the possibility of early access.

POSSIBILITY

I’m not sure you understand what I’m saying. I’m not talking about the gaining access; I’m talking about the level of communication and its effect on customer satisfaction.

Then act like one and realize you are entitled to nothing, except the possibility of early access.

POSSIBILITY

The OP is stating only logic. Bioware/EA's pay cheques are coming from paying customers. Stop alienating your customers and keep them in the loop or they won't be so inclined to fork over their cash. Customer service 101.

POSSIBILITY

Did you even read the original post, giant font man?

He has *zero* issues with the Early Access... None.

He states, specifically, that he understands the need for a staggered start.

His point is, he feels that BW could have communicated with the customer base slightly better, to avoid all the hysteria that you seem to have such disdain for...

Instead of trolling for posts to put your point of view in, perhaps you should take a moment to read the posts first...

Something along the lines of, you will be on wave X, we are currently on wave Y, the ETA on the next wave is Z.

The problem with this, is that it assumes that the number of people per wave will stay the same. From what I've heard, that isn't the plan. They plan on increasing the number of people per wave as things go along.

I suppose they could keep the same number per wave and increase the number of waves per day...

But giving a ETA would be a disaster, because if they didn't make the ETA it would be worse then the way it is right now.

They communicated everything pretty clearly. People get early access in the same order that they have redeemed their codes. They started today. They're not going to stop until the 19th December.

They can't or won't give out any estimations to stay more flexible so they can react to server issues etc. Plus people would be imploding when they get an estimation which had to bee delayed because of unforeseen complications.

There's no lack of communication as such, just a lack of accepting the facts which were communicated. Communication is not bad because of its content.

They have decided to pull it off that way and they did, and every single one of us knows.

Personally, I enjoy all the excitement and whining on the forums.

Oh, and I pre-ordered the 23rd of July, and just didn't bother to redeem my code until late september.

TL;DR: It's not Bioware, it's you!

The one genuine mistake BW/EA have made is communication, a lot of people have said that they can’t believe the feeling of entitlement that a lot of people have. Personally I don’t feel entitled to access seven days early. (five is another matter). I do however feel entitled to proper communication from EA/BW. Something along the lines of, you will be on wave X, we are currently on wave Y, the ETA on the next wave is Z.

Furthermore I understand the need for a staggered launch, I understand server load and the fact that they can’t have everyone I the same zone at the same time (Though I do worry about the official release day, and Christmas day) However this is a retail product and a lot of people won’t have this level of understanding. A bit of explanation regarding the staggering would have been a good idea.

Some people will never be happy but polite communication goes a long way to keeping most people happy and alleviates frustration.

Stephen Reid has explained at least twice (before the forums were wiped and after) both how the staggering process will work and why they are doing it this way. He has even stated numerous times why they will not tell people in advance when they will get access. It's not BioWare's fault that people don't choose to read these explanations. You can say you don't like it but BioWare and EA have communicated the reasoning behind it.

Agreed, actually. Been in the beta for months and I've been really surprised how terrible Bioware's communication has been on just about everything.

Uncertainty makes people more anxious than they would otherwise, and silence is damning. Those are pretty much constants.

it would have been nice to give us a eta date, subject to change of course, but so many people wouldve take that for the gods honest gospel truth, it would have been pointless if they couldnt meet it. I understand why they did it this way and honestly I dont see it as a mistake. they were damned if they do, damned if they dont in this case.

if they wouldve let everyone in at 6 this morning and the servers crashed, people had 10 hour queues, couldnt login and play due to log, i think the nerdrage wouldve been alot higher than it is now. i know it was pretty bad for wow going through the same thing and wow has been the worst launch ive ever been a part of.

so all in all i can see it, i understand it, sucks to wait, but that is what i get for preordering late. wish i could have a estimated time, but oh well, not gonna get upset about it.

EA don't need to do anything. Because no matter how many angry posts and whine threads are made, they know those same people are just dying to hand over their money to them.

The rabid fanbase has turned how a business should work the wrong way around. They should have to work for and earn your money, not do anything they wish and still get foaming at the mouth players handing over their subs.

What'cha gonna do eh? *shrugs*

Stephen Reid has explained at least twice (before the forums were wiped and after) both how the staggering process will work and why they are doing it this way. He has even stated numerous times why they will not tell people in advance when they will get access. It's not BioWare's fault that people don't choose to read these explanations. You can say you don't like it but BioWare and EA have communicated the reasoning behind it.

I agree with you and I disagree with you... There is no doubt that the answers and communication were present. The FAQ were clear, there are other communications to be found that make everything clear.

However, when you are dealing with a large consumer sample size, in retail sales, which is the stage we are talking about right now, you have to make an assumption that a significant portion of your customers will be... well... idiots.

So, assuming that a significant number of people you will sell to will be intelligence challenged, then you have to overcommunicate. Look at items near you right now...

Do you need the bottom of the coffee cup to say coffee is super hot?

Do you need a warning not to use your hair dryer in the bath tub?

Do you need a warning on your hammer that it can cause serious injury?

The bottom line is, some people need more communication than others... And in the sales business, you want to try to meet them at more than halfway... just the way it is... So, just overcommunicate to try to meet their special needs.

I am appalled there is so many people in this mind-set.

Everything has been communicated to you.

http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq

Don't you feel silly now? :p

EA don't need to do anything. Because no matter how many angry posts and whine threads are made, they know those same people are just dying to hand over their money to them.

The rabid fanbase has turned how a business should work the wrong way around. They should have to work for and earn your money, not do anything they wish and still get foaming at the mouth players handing over their subs.

What'cha gonna do eh? *shrugs*

That is what its like when there is no competition, they got the only Star Wars MMO in the world and they know it.

I do however feel entitled to proper communication from EA/BW.

And the Devs have been providing proper communication. You just do not like their answers.

Also, by your own admission, you -do- feel entitled. *shrug*

The only mistake I think they have made is having forums.