Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Veteran pvper advice to newbies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Veteran pvper advice to newbies

TrixxieTriss
04.20.2018 , 11:47 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
Pretty sure strategy is not your strongest quality in this game...

If you think ganking mid will actually make any difference when it''s obvious you will never take it, you might need to rethink your approach to PVP....

I prefer side strategy(solo). An unexpected cap can ruin the other team who thought their win is 100%....

Why not risk and ? You have nothing to lose... and if you are decent DPS and dueler you could try solo caping their node. At least you didn't waste your time ganking mid and tried to do something useful for your team.

I am not a fan pointless DPS farming at a node you will never cap. That is good for numbers only, but not for end result.
Agreed +1

Aeneas_Falco
04.21.2018 , 02:46 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by BlissDivine View Post
I've probably typed into ops chat "Don't feed them kills" hundreds of times on Hypergate.

I also dislike the Side Strats on Civil War. It's a dps loss running between the nodes. Yes, it can work if your team is good enough, but if your team is good then it would have been easier to take mid and the node closest to your spawn.
So much that.

Side strategies are more often than not a bad call. If you win by going heavy to their side node at the start and letting them take mid, you won despite it, not because of it. Mid is the easiest node to defend when you have it and as such it is always the most important node to contest at the start of the match. That is particularly true in Novare Coast (which for some odd reason is where you see the side strategy most often) where the enemy's side node is the farthest from your spawn point of any map.

Now if they capture mid and they've got more healing or are winning the DPS battle, then yeah, repeatedly going mid with your whole team is probably not going to work. But never just gift wrap them mid at the start, make them fight for it.

Going to "their" side node at the start should be limited to a stealth player, with the bulk of the team going mid.

That goes for Hypergate as well. Going heavy to theirs at the start of the match is usually a bad call. If they're halfway decent they'll react to the stack by sending a couple through the tunnel to your node, and it's a lot easier for two players to cap on one than it is for seven players to cap on six.

Side strategies in Hypergate are for when you're down and preventing a cap is the only way to win. At the start you should try to win by holding mid & winning the kill battle, unless you know going into it that you have the weaker team. Side node shenanigans in the first round should be limited to a single stealth. Most of the time when a team goes heavy to the enemy node at the start of the first round, they also lose the first round. If they win they're likely a much stronger team and would have won as well if they went mid.

Aeneas_Falco
04.21.2018 , 11:04 AM | #63
I just came from a Yavin match where people opted for the sides.

We were 3 versus 6 at mid at the start. None was a healer either, because our healer followed someone to ours first for some reason. Guess who won?

TrixxieTriss
04.21.2018 , 07:52 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
I just came from a Yavin match where people opted for the sides.

We were 3 versus 6 at mid at the start. None was a healer either, because our healer followed someone to ours first for some reason. Guess who won?
Pugs. Nothing more. I often win from taking both sides while 2-3 delay most of their team mid. It’s all relative to how good your team is vs how bad theirs is, plus team composition.