Alacrity as madness sorc

Trimexxx

Yes it does. Force lightning benefits alot from alacrity as it makes the channel cast faster. In full madness having a decent alacrity rating will not only help your damage but help you more consistently get wrath procs and maintain your force management. After you get the appropriate amount of surge I would suggest you put the rest into alacrity.

I hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

It's important to understand the way stats work at end game. All gear for inquisitors will have endurance and willpower. It will also have a secondary and tertiary stat. The secondary stats are critical rating and power. Tertiary stats are accuracy, surge and alacrity.

So each piece of gear will have these stats:

- Willpower

- Endurance

- Power/Crit

- Surge/Alacrity/Accuracy

For balancing purposes, you are trading between crit and power. Surge, alacrity and accuracy also compete. Accuracy is strictly for Assassins. Surge has a very high diminishing returns curve that makes it not worth stacking past about 300. So at that point, the only logical choice is alacrity. More alacrity will absolutely increase your DPS.

and if you put all of that alacrity into power how would that affect your damage/healing plus theres no curve or limit to its usefulness.

Why do you keep repeating this nonsense in thread after thread? You've been told repeatedly that power does not compete with alacrity. People have explained to you in great detail how stats work on end game gear. Whether you stack alacrity or not has absolutely no bearing on how much power you have. What don't you get about this?

only once your surge and crit are decent capped should you waste your time on alacrity is what im saying, what can't you understand about that?

People make it sound like you have to have loads of alacrity and its really worth having and the stats show you need an awful lot of alacrity before any real benefit is seen so ONLY STACK ALACRITY when there is nothing else to put your stats into and the increase in surge is making it virtually pointless.

The details of all this can be very easily researched.....and as a Jedi i thought you would have done that by now....no wonder you chaps are losing.

im managing to swap mods around so to avoid virtually any alacrity at all whilst stacking power and keeping crit to a sensible level, im really sorry if you're finding this impossible.

only once your surge and crit are decent capped should you waste your time on alacrity is what im saying, what can't you understand about that?

People make it sound like you have to have loads of alacrity and its really worth having and the stats show you need an awful lot of alacrity before any real benefit is seen so ONLY STACK ALACRITY when there is nothing else to put your stats into and the increase in surge is making it virtually pointless.

The details of all this can be very easily researched.....and as a Jedi i thought you would have done that by now....no wonder you chaps are losing.

im managing to swap mods around so to avoid virtually any alacrity at all whilst stacking power and keeping crit to a sensible level, im really sorry if you're finding this impossible.

-facepalm- It is impossible because alacrity does not compete with crit or power. This has been explained to you many times, but I will try once more.

Crit and power are secondary stats. Alacrity is a tertiary stat. Every piece of gear for inquisitors at end game has the following stats attached:

- Endurance

- Willpower (main stat)

- Power OR Crit (secondary stats)

- Accuracy, Alacrity OR Surge (tertiary stats)

You can trade power for crit or crit for power. But you cannot trade power or crit for alacrity. You will NEVER find a piece of gear that has both crit and power. Nor will you find a piece of gear that has alacrity and surge.

Alacrity competes with surge and accuracy. Sorcs don't need accuracy and surge has a severe DR curve at around 300. So once you have 300 surge, there is no reason whatsoever not to stack alacrity. In War Hero gear or in upper tier PvE gear, you will very quickly get to 300 surge. After that, stack alacrity.

Was gonna type this whole thing out, but Sooner already did, and if I just said about the same thing, you'd just completely miss the point again. So, go ahead, continue to be bad.

All other new sorcs, please do not listen to this guy.

There are 2 (I guess 3) ways to reduce your alacrity:

One: Stack a metric ****ton of surge. This is rather ineffective, as surge becomes less valuable rather drastically after 300 or so (full madness does go up to 360 surge/240 alacrity though). In order to have 2% alacrity, you're sitting on like 500 surge in end game gear, which is not doing you a bit of good.

Two: Use this enhancement : http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/9490/advanced-reflective-enhancement-25 If I have to explain to you why this is bad, please do not post any more.

Three: Leave enhancements out of your gear or use tanking enhancements or get accuracy enhancements. Again, I hope I do not have to explain this.

Now, if you're in tionese or some such, yea I could see trying to get power everywhere. Once you're in rakata/campaign-ish level, you'll want a roughly even split between alacrity and surge.

I personnally play an hybrid and I find I get better results with high-surge setup, although not FULL surge obviously.

I currently have 0,2 sec skived off my force lightning, an additionnal 5% of alacrity only drops this to 2,7.

I never cast anything else, and if shock comes off cd its a dps gain for me to interrupt FL after the 3rd tick for it (parse result at least seems to hint at a small dps gain played that way)

Full madness has to channel FL to the end, since their force regenration is heavily linked to it. Mine is provided by lightning effusion.

Additionnaly, EVERY attacks profit from surge, while only FL profits from alacrity.

For lightning, its a no brainer, no question's asked.

For standard 31 pts madness and 13/28 hybrid as well, FL is 40% of your damage, with DoTs making another 50% (including damage from CD since its still applying your dot)

However, for my 18/23 spec I seem to have better results going for that extra surge to a point. Obviously going all surge IS useless, the DR gets very harsh, but a 180ish/420 split is what i currently use.

Gives me about 78% surge, 1600-1650 dps on the dummy as mostly BH with DG hilt/armoring on the mainhand/offhand.

So alacrity is not useless imo, but I don't think the exact same itemnization works best for all specs.

Made some calculation, based on my spec damage % on my best parses, the potential gain from always fully channeling FL vs the way I put some abilities as higher priorities (meaning I will interrupt FL after 3rd tick for them) is 0,005% about.

Note, interrupting FL in a 0/13/28 or full madness spec being a bad idea, since you get a dps loss from about everything is a bad idea, so going for the more even split seems to be the way to go. Also FL is a bigger % of those spec total damage (40% vs 30% for mine) means you do gain more damage from that surge/alacrity swap.

Difference does remain minor at best from 300/300 split to a 420/180 split it seems tough. Its bound to become higher as you move that ratio to the extreme, since you gain less and less surge or alacrity over 300, and it IS heavily dependant on crit rate which is in turn dependant on willpower and crit rating. More power heavy specs obviously benefit more from alacrity. I used my own crit rating when "normal stimmed (cheap one from the npc merchant, +84 WP) which is 38% about (thats with 350ish crit rating and 2300ish willpower, if I recall accurately) corrected for spec on FL to 44% effective crit chance.

For simpler purpose, I ignored the higher crit chance on CD and just did a bundle on the damage % as if it was "one attack" vs FL. So ended up comparing the 30% FL damage vs the 70% that doesn't benefit from alacrity. (again, those numbers come from my spec, madness is 40%/60%)

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind however the bread and butter specs more than benefit for going to an even split, and possibly lightning would fare better with a possible 240/360 split. Don't know the spec enough to do the math tough.

It certainly depends to some degree on your spec, and I don't disagree with the itemization you have mentioned. I also think PvE vs. PvP is a bit different. However, the idea this other guy keeps putting forth that you can trade alacrity for crit is just wrong, and I wish he would stop giving advice since he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

It certainly depends to some degree on your spec, and I don't disagree with the itemization you have mentioned. I also think PvE vs. PvP is a bit different. However, the idea this other guy keeps putting forth that you can trade alacrity for crit is just wrong, and I wish he would stop giving advice since he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

That i figured out rather fast yah, and my reply completely disregard his posts.

Your cheeseburger exemple on another threat made me laugh quite a bit tough.

He wants fries with his mashed potatoes :p

As in most thing in life : moderation is much better than extreme.