Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What do you want from a tank in ranked pvp?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
What do you want from a tank in ranked pvp?

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
02.22.2018 , 04:23 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
What I'm saying is not that it was a nerf or buff but pure dev laziness, they added HP to classes and just never tweaked the Focused Defense formula. Of course when you cut the dev team as much as they have and put all your resources towards the cartel market, that's not exactly surprising.

What we should be addressing is balance, first and foremost. Balance is tilted right now such that tanks have great damage potential and great survivability, no DPS class has the survivability of a tank, the closest is merc and that's only when cooldowns are available (which is admittedly too often).

Tank DPS is only great when you factor in AOE, they will always fall to a regular DPS in single target damage, so that to me is the easiest way to fix this without dramatically reworking game systems.
No dps class should have survivability even remotely close to a tank otherwise what's the point tanking? I also think tanks shouldn't have the damage potential they do now, I just want the root cause fixed rather than throwing down the nerf hammer.

Also, vigi has far and away better aoe potential than my tank. It also can't survive 6 people to do it. I'm not saying it should I'm saying that's why.

wadecounty's Avatar


wadecounty
02.22.2018 , 04:23 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by krosswong View Post
Pick a position and stick with it please, your flip-flopping is about to give me a stroke.
Crushing Blow is great burst. However, it being great burst AND AOE is too powerful, its like 2.0 Smash spec. That's my position.
Kandel - Juggernaut Lef - Guardian
Nyeetra - Assassin Milarra - Sage
Lendros - Mercenary Jakor - Vanguard
Iseline - Operative Lysandere - Gunslinger

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
02.22.2018 , 04:29 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
Crushing Blow is great burst. However, it being great burst AND AOE is too powerful, its like 2.0 Smash spec. That's my position.
1 GCD that requires setup for Aoe use from an ability that does little damage, compared to an entire burst window from an actual dps

Glocko's Avatar


Glocko
02.22.2018 , 04:30 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
No dps class should have survivability even remotely close to a tank otherwise what's the point tanking? I also think tanks shouldn't have the damage potential they do now, I just want the root cause fixed rather than throwing down the nerf hammer.

Also, vigi has far and away better aoe potential than my tank. It also can't survive 6 people to do it. I'm not saying it should I'm saying that's why.

I take it you dont play Fury Marauder or a Merc.... no dps compares to tank survivability.... what game are you playing

wadecounty's Avatar


wadecounty
02.22.2018 , 04:31 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
1 GCD that requires setup for Aoe use from an ability that does little damage, compared to an entire burst window from an actual dps
As a Jugg main this is either disingenuous or just ignorance, Aegis Assault buff lasts 20 seconds, you can easily set it up and keep it going at anytime and its maintained just by doing your rotation.
Kandel - Juggernaut Lef - Guardian
Nyeetra - Assassin Milarra - Sage
Lendros - Mercenary Jakor - Vanguard
Iseline - Operative Lysandere - Gunslinger

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
02.22.2018 , 04:32 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
As a Jugg main this is either disingenuous or just ignorance, Aegis Assault buff lasts 20 seconds, you can easily set it up and keep it going at anytime and its maintained just by doing your rotation.
I know this, still not like it's just an instant aoe on CD like say a sin.

memerobot's Avatar


memerobot
02.22.2018 , 04:32 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Glocko View Post
Based on the forums it appears that all tanks do 7-8K DPS so if you arentt doing that I guess you shouldnt QQ
Not all tanks. Well, those values, I've only seen, so far, on PT skanks. :|

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
02.22.2018 , 04:33 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Glocko View Post
I take it you dont play Fury Marauder or a Merc.... no dps compares to tank survivability.... what game are you playing
I don't play a mara or a merc. And you'll never hear me say a mara is anywhere close to a tank. I admit I mostly don't like mercs because they got a reflect which used to be my thing. I do think they're a bit too survivable for dps.

wadecounty's Avatar


wadecounty
02.22.2018 , 04:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
I know this, still not like it's just an instant aoe on CD like say a sin.
OK, but its not hard to do, and once its up and you're in combat it generally stays up, and from that point on Crushing Blow is instant aoe on CD, but significantly stronger than Wither or Discharge.

Also to the other poster, PT's are the bigger AOE culprits, Juggs get high numbers through AOE of Crushing Blow mostly. They could also nerf its overall damage in PvP and allow it to keep the AOE I guess, but I prefer something hard hitting since Juggs have a harder time maintaining uptime in PvP due to more 4 meter and less 10 meter abilities.
Kandel - Juggernaut Lef - Guardian
Nyeetra - Assassin Milarra - Sage
Lendros - Mercenary Jakor - Vanguard
Iseline - Operative Lysandere - Gunslinger

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
02.22.2018 , 04:40 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
OK, but its not hard to do, and once its up and you're in combat it generally stays up, and from that point on Crushing Blow is instant aoe on CD, but significantly stronger than Wither or Discharge.

Also to the other poster, PT's are the bigger AOE culprits, Juggs get high numbers through AOE of Crushing Blow mostly. They could also nerf its overall damage in PvP and allow it to keep the AOE I guess, but I prefer something hard hitting since Juggs have a harder time maintaining uptime in PvP due to more 4 meter and less 10 meter abilities.
Yes it's incredibly easy. Still requires a set up step and thus an additional initial GCD thst does little damage compared to an actual Dps burst setup (at least I'd assume so).

And again, if they could figure out how to code in a difference for PvP and pve why couldn't they figure out how to code in a fix for tank stats?