Bioware future

dwiekopy

I read about this last night, including the statements from EA as well as Messrs. Hudson and Darrah.

https://blog.bioware.com/2020/12/03/a-message-from-laura-miele-chief-studios-officer-electronic-arts/

It seems pretty clear this was the right decision for all parties concerned. I am not privy to any of the inner workings (nor should I be), but I was pleased to read the parting seemed to be as amicable as possible.

With respect to Mark Darrah, he gets in a slight zinger about Bioware wandering away from the "central guiding pillar" at times, but puts a positive spin on both forthcoming Dragon Age and Mass Effect projects.

Regarding Casey Hudson, and I want to choose my words very carefully here because it may sound like I'm zinging him when that is not my intent...

I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Maybe he wasn't able to oversee and implement his vision of Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem the way he wanted b/c of clashes with EA -- who knows? Regardless, the last two major releases by Bioware were both critical flops. In the case of Anthem, a major flop. Just as a head coach can't survive a season with a 20% win record, I don't see how someone can survive overseeing two such disastrous projects.

Again, not saying it was Hudson's fault, and maybe his hands were tied. Regardless, it is good for all parties concerned, including Hudson's, since he is now free to pursue projects better aligned with his interests / talents (which are considerable). But at the end of the day, EA is still a business and there clearly was a clash or disconnect of some sorts. And whatever one may say about EA, its financial track record is quite solid.

As to the impact on SWTOR, again, who knows? I've always viewed it as a nice little niche corner in the Bioware offices that just chugs along on its own. With that said, I think all of us would like to see more resources directed to SWTOR. After all, given the success of The Mandalorian (and the number of Mando characters flooding the game)...

This is the way. :rak_03:

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I read about this last night, including the statements from EA as well as Messrs. Hudson and Darrah.

https://blog.bioware.com/2020/12/03/a-message-from-laura-miele-chief-studios-officer-electronic-arts/

It seems pretty clear this was the right decision for all parties concerned. I am not privy to any of the inner workings (nor should I be), but i was pleased to read the parting seemed to be as amicable as possible.

With respect to Mark Darrah, he gets in a slight zinger about Bioware wandering away from the "central guiding pillar" at times, but puts a positive spin on both forthcoming Dragon Age and Mass Effect projects.

Regarding Casey Hudson, and I want to choose my words very carefully here because it may sound like I'm zinging him when that is not my intent...

I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Maybe he wasn't able to oversee and implement his vision of Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem the way he wanted b/c of clashes with EA -- who knows? Regardless, the last two major releases by Bioware were both critical flops. In the case of Anthem, a major flop. Just as a head coach can't survive a season with a 20% win record, I don't see how someone can survive overseeing two such disastrous projects.

Again, not saying it was Hudson's fault, and maybe his hands were tied. Regardless, it is good for all parties concerned, including Hudson's, since he is now free to pursue projects better aligned with his interests / talents (which are considerable). But at the end of the day, EA is still a business and there clearly was a clash or disconnect of some sorts. And whatever one may say about EA, its financial track record is quite solid.

As to the impact on SWTOR, again, who knows? I've always viewed it as a nice little niche corner in the Bioware offices that just chugs along on its own. With that said, I think all of us would like to see more resources directed to SWTOR. After all, given the success of The Mandalorian (and the number of Mando characters flooding the game)...

This is the way. :rak_03:

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

As far as I'm aware Hudson didn't work either on Andromeda or Anthem and was in fact brought back to shore things up after those duds.

And Dragon Age franchise has kinda been Darrah's baby.

These 2 guys leaving at the same time is telegraphing a lot and none of it good future projects wise. Especially combined with past news on DA4 reworks into live service and whatnot.

I held out some hope EA had learned a lesson from JFO success and would give BW the backing and space to do what BW does best, but this makes me think the battle for the soul of the studio has now been decisively lost.

TOR wise what's there to change for the worse honestly. This game already had its KOTFE hail Mary pitch to turn it around and it didn't pan out, it's on minimal effort autopilot for as long as the SW licence lasts.

Edited by aeterno

Casey Hudson said in his blog post: "this year we have been inspired by the continued community support for our ongoing work on Star Wars: The Old Republic..."

So maybe we are okay.

...and Anthem.

So maybe not :p

In all seriousness, I don't see this impacting SWTOR.

To put things in perspective, the purveyors of Everquest / Everquest 2 and other games has been bought out by a Swedish company.

To quote one of the first things players said on the forums about it: "FREE MEATBALLS!"

So obviously it's a non-panic over there.

Probably any change down the road for this game should not be a panic over here, either.

Sky's not falling, people.

Edited by xordevoreaux

• 2 months later...
Sad news for the Anthem community and their dev team working so hard on the new improvements I guess, but on the other side it will hopefully back up SWTOR.

Not likely much, resources are being shifted to Dragon Age and Mass Effect, both primarily out of the Edmonton office. SWTOR is based in the Austin office.

• 1 month later...