1.4 Nerfing classes for PVP reasons, impacts PVE.../sigh

OrionSol

I have to ask, why are only inq/consular having the knockback changed?

I would think it would make more sense to change the knockback on toons that can wear heavier armor as opposed to those in tissue pap...er light armor.

This is simply breaking the class, I won't play a broken class I'll shelve em until it's fixed.

or until I get tired of waiting and just delete em.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The buffs they are granting, like super quick regen timer on force run, will probably be game breaking in pvp... especially being that they nerfed the range stun

I don't care for PvP, at all. It's an aspect of this game I completely ignore. But whatever.

What I do not want, is having my game experience screwed over PvP "balance". Wheather these changes are good or bad for pvpers is irelevant. If they were working on PvE making new talents, chaging them or whatever, with PvE in mind, that's cool. But they're not.

Having the classes I play screwed for an aspect of the game I don't participate in, is aggravating.

I talked to Senior Designer Austin Peckenpaugh and Senior PvP Designer Rob Hinkle about the concerns that developers allow changes made that primarily affect either PvP or PvE to negatively affect the other part of the game.

While it's true that some changes may be motivated by design requirements in one gameplay mode, we never make a change without confidence that it's fun and appropriate in all gameplay modes. We think it's natural for players to think of the game as two different sub-games and to dislike changes made for a sub-game they don't participate in, but that mindset couldn't be further from the case for us. We only ever look at the game as a complete package, and it's always our goal to deliver one cohesive and coherent gameplay experience. If, during our playtesting, we find that one experience suffers at the cost of another, we revisit our design goals and our options and reassess our approach.

Overload and Force Wave, for example, now reach 15 meters in front of you. This is almost twice the previous range. The extra reach is quite a bit of fun and quite useful all around. Similarly, although stuns that now have a 10-meter range are irrefutably worse, we've taken measures to correct for this loss by adding a few new tools and skills to the affected classes. From our internal playtesting and feedback, we're confident that the new experience is more fun. Ultimately, we want you guys to be able to tell us what is and isn't fun, so we're looking forward to players actually testing these changes in-game on the PTS and giving us good, constructive feedback that is based on playing with the changes.

This is a noble ideal but there are already differences with the taunts between pvp and pve. Is your internal playtesting an odd mix like random pvp is? Have you done a squad of 6 healers, 2 dps versus a warhero premade? A squad with no healers versus a balanced team? It blows being in recuit gear getting hit with 5k crits and dying in 2 seconds. Getting hit by master strike when you are nowhere near the guy. Having maruaders swap force choke on you gets old quick. Spending half the game stunned and snared is getting frustarting. A recruit gear 3v1 can't burn down a geared healer fast enough. The infinite heals a commando/merc can do once their resolve bar is full. Something will have to be done to make PVP better. It's honestly half the endgame right now because hm ec is all I need to do. All the other daily stuff is fluff right now. There are going to have to be some tweaks that affect only pvp to make it more enjoyable and keep people playing. I am feeling way played out with pvp.

Edited by manchusabre

Ultimately, we want you guys to be able to tell us what is and isn't fun, so we're looking forward to players actually testing these changes in-game on the PTS and giving us good, constructive feedback that is based on playing with the changes.

I'd just like it say, it was a stroke of genius to mollify critics with this, then ensure that PvP couldn't actually be tested by not providing character copies.

Good job.

I'd just like it say, it was a stroke of genius to mollify critics with this, then ensure that PvP couldn't actually be tested by not providing character copies.

Good job.

i just loled,

but it is a serious problem, and that 1.4 actually make us un-sub.

read again patch notes i play sorcerer, its buff for me, and play also PT and dmg is untouched, so i am happy ...

L2P issue

how often do you play sorcs? in what scenarios? PvP? PvE? solo-ing? Are you in a guild or do you join mostly PuG groups?

Did you read the many posts giving reasons why we feel it is a nerf and how it will break this class for us?

merely stating people need to read the patch notes and should "L2P" sounds more like you should "LsH" (learn some humility)

how often do you play sorcs? in what scenarios? PvP? PvE? solo-ing? Are you in a guild or do you join mostly PuG groups?

Did you read the many posts giving reasons why we feel it is a nerf and how it will break this class for us?

merely stating people need to read the patch notes and should "L2P" sounds more like you should "LsH" (learn some humility)

Hi, i play sorcerer 6-8 hours per day only PVP queue often with guildies, sometimes solo to know some new ppl and recruit them to my guild if they are good enough. I read many posts giving reason why they feel its a nerf. For weak players its maybe nerf, but for skilled players its buff. Weak players i mean players with good rotation but bad movement and positioning. Movement is 50% of success . Atm i dont use overload, only in huttball, its garbage ability now, cuz i am dps, i am not healer. So i am not marked and i know how to LoS and move and kite ppl, trust me, i kite all classes 1vs 1 and i win often. And i love this class, so for me is 20secs speed buff and new overload buff, i attack ppl its my playstyle, i attack sometimes 2guys, 1vs2, i dont care and it works. Thats only imao, i welcome sorc changes. And healers will get rootbreaking forcespeed every20secs, so overload is attacking ability now maybe more, no defensive. But i could live also with actual status, i dont care, i have a lot of fun in the game, but i welc changes.

bye :))))

Edited by mrekxxx

For solo PVE is is a horrible destructive nerf. For any other part of the game...grouped play, Raiding, PVP it is likely a buff.

Unfortunately for the game it is likely that solo PVE is the majority playerbase.

The change is good, and I feel it needed to be made...but only for PVP, optional for raiding by offering new specials, then disabling the current specials in PVP.

Then everyone wins.

As with all games developers that consider PVE and PVP to be part and parcel to the whole of the game the BW developers have of course forgotten that many if not most players prefer one style over the other. Either you have those who are mostly PvP players or those who are mostly PVE players and of course the odd mix of those who are both.

Myself, I am a PVE player for the most part. Done some PvP and frankly, didn't like it even though I didn't do terribad (about middle of the road wise) in the several matches I played in. Just not my particular cup of tea in this game. So I tend towards PvE and I know that there are many players just like me out there who look on PvP as a waste of their time (of course the same can be said of PvP players towards PvE).

The biggest problem I see with BW's view that the game is all inclusive when they make their changes is, they marketed this game primarily as a soloable MMO for the casual player. Most casual players I know are PvE oriented. So while I think BW is being incredibly dense with their 'all inclusive' view....

Anyway my take on this right now other than the disjointed comments I just made is "I'll wait and see before I get bent about something". I've been through enough MMO's to know that not all changes are as bad as they first seem when you suddenly have to change your play style to fit he new methods. As is frequently said in another great MMO "Adapt or Die".

I lol'd really hard at this...You should post this in the healer forums for Commandos/Mercs. Were you even here during 1.2?

Again, say this to healing commandos/mercs. Cause they gave you guys loads of constructive/objective feedback on your healing changes to them. They even gave you numbers which were actually play tested, rather than the one's the devs said they had which were obviously just pulled out of some random orifice. BW Austin has become well known for making up facts then lying that they've been strongly considered/tested so spare us...

Are CM's responsible for towing the company line while occasionally stretching the truth for the sake of PR with the community, or is it BW Austin's policy now for you all to just blatantly lie to the community? You have proven on many occasions that you really do not care what feedback the community gives you concerning balance changes so why even respond with garbage like this?

The CS people post what they're told to post.. essentially they are drones....the query for feedback is just to appear 'politically correct' and nothing more....so they can look like they feel the community matters. CS people will reply to threads like 'We want fluffy bunnies on Balmorra' but nothing that even comes close to serious interaction about heated points. In the RARE case they DO pop in to a 'hot' thread, it's to say that they welcome our feedback.....and they will never again post in that thread....

They will post a tickle here, a compliment there, so at the end of the week, there are lots of yellow posts in the Dev Tracker......

How any of these CS people go home and think they did a good day's Customer Service is beyond me. They must all need jobs very badly....

taking away 30m range for Force Stun is horrible for Sages. Shadows, not that big a deal, but Sages, it is game breaking for sure.

PvP, you might have a case, but as a PvE sorc, I see no issue with these changes. If you were mobbed enough that you had to use overload, you were likely going to die anyways. If you cant walk to 9.9 meters of a badguy to stun them, thats a L2P issue. Whatever case might be made for PvP, I think these changes will have a minimal affect on PvE

PvP, you might have a case, but as a PvE sorc, I see no issue with these changes. If you were mobbed enough that you had to use overload, you were likely going to die anyways. If you cant walk to 9.9 meters of a badguy to stun them, thats a L2P issue. Whatever case might be made for PvP, I think these changes will have a minimal affect on PvE

I agree. The main downside is that I won't be able to stun the bombers in HM Kephess. But that is hardly game-breaking.

On the other hand, I tend to run the puzzle on the Fab for my group, and the strat I use involves me knocking back one proximity mine droid, killing a second and eating the damage on the third. A couple of times I got hit with the explosion as the Force Wave doesn't actually push back until the end of the animation. So instant conal knockback would actually be an improvement in this scenario.

Also during Karagga I drop Force Quake to kill the mouse droids, which is an expensive cast. I'll feel more comfortable popping a Noble Sacrifice and instant free healing afterwards to take some pressure off the healer.

Time will tell once 1.4 drops, but I would be surprised if any PvE changes were so drastic that it requires more than minor adjustments in my playstyle.

Edited by Khevar

pvp pve, you might have a case, but as a un-subber, i see no issue with those nerfs or buffs,

if u lose ur confidence in BW, match to what deserve to the EA,

then u wont care any change about those balance problem.

Edited by oakamp

pvp pve, you might have a case, but as a un-subber, i see no issue with those nerfs or buffs,

if u lose ur confidence in BW, match to what deserve to the EA,

then u wont care any change about those balance problem.

You've been angry about TOR since April. Haven't you found another game to occupy your time by now?

I think they would be better off to Acknowledge publicly that players can run hacks on this game.....

They have done several updates that have stopped some, but left the door open for others.

Personaly get rid of bolster.... Its not needed.....

Allow for a rapid rebort system in pvp, or vote kick for pvp..... where if the person gets so many votes from different sources then they get booted out of pvp for 24 hours....

Its clear that this is a big reason for the "Imbalance" I had a sorcerrer running and went to force pull him and ALL of my movement imparing skills where blacked out. Along with he had no resolve bar.

I think what some are stating imbalanbe are really players running cheats that imbalance the game, the economy, etc.. I know im going to get flamed for this post but there are dozens of sites that have hacks for SPEED, mobilization imunty, rapid heal, unlimited force or focus etc... and there all verified to work.... Yet publicaly nothings said about it.

I had a sorcerrer running and went to force pull him and ALL of my movement imparing skills where blacked out. Along with he had no resolve bar.

I'm not convinced that that is cheating. Yes obviously its cheating if they are using hacks. But how can you be sure that its not just someone using an interrupt ability on you with a lockout period... you do know that i.e. sorc/sage can lock players from using their abilities for a few secs if they upgraded it in the skill tree.

as for the nerfing issue... well its all to do with huttball. to be honest I'd be happy if they just got rid of huttball. the issue was that when a ball carrier got CC'ed twice in 2-3 secs (which happens alot) it made them an unstoppable train. which causes alot of fuss...

They're just changing the way CC, resolve and knockbacks work. TBH I think thats a good thing as the way they are at the moment you cant do a thing without being frozen or thrown every few secs in pvp which is annoying for all classes.

As for this having a bad effect on PVE its not really going to effect it by that much... critters dont have resolve same way players do so shouldnt change gameplay too much in PVE. thats how I understand it anyway :D

Edited by Abmong
spelling