'No active subscription' error

StephenReid

What? It's free. I haven't been charged anything, that would make it free. See my previous posts about the requirements and industry standards.

It's not free for those that want to do it with gamecards.. I just wonder how everyone can not see that if you are a game time card user, you are paying up front and by that, charged immediatly.

and I don't have paypal and since I know of many issues regarding it, I am not even thinking of getting it.

so for people like me, and I know there are a lot like me, this is unfair.

just make the option "I'll pay with game-time cards" and this issue is fixed for everyone.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I understand that people FEEL as if they have to commit themselves, or are forced to pay more, or the 30 days is not free.

It is.

You put in your credit card number, it flags you as everything completed, and the next moment you can cancel the subscription.

Your credit card number will be on file, it won't be charged, and you have your 30 days free.

It's a gift for someone though. After I subscribe and cancel my subscription to get the 30 days, (what a laugh), is the card, as you say, on file? I don't want to give others access to my credit cards for obvious reasons. If the card was deleted...

This is just purely distasteful. No other game does it and I hope that Bioware/EA gets called out on this by highly reputed gaming sites for their ********. Shame

Wrong. Other games DO do it.

If they didn't allow time card then those of you without credit cards wouldn't be able to play at all so I still don't see what the fuss is about.

Edited by Dasffion

It's a gift for someone though. After I subscribe and cancel my subscription to get the 30 days, (what a laugh), is the card, as you say, on file? I don't want to give others access to my credit cards for obvious reasons. If the card was deleted...

You can gift it to them by sending them the Product code, youdon't need to and shouldn't enter your personal information on someone elses account.

Your delusional if you think this is an industry standard. If I put up money to buy the retail copy of the game with free time included, that is what I am entitled to. Period. Its now free in the same sense that a credit card is free. You can still go out and "buy" something that you cannot afford on your credit card, your not gonna get stopped at the front door as you walk out of the store, but you now have a commitment to pay off that debt. I have to put myself into debt to Bioware to play the free time that I was already promised? This entire thing reeks of EA, and is indicative of the typical corporate greed that people have finally gotten around to saying "yeah, might be somewhat of a problem in this country." I think my man Stabs said it best. http://stabbedup.blogspot.com/2011/12/swtor-great-subscription-scam.html

Bioware made a great game. But its pretty sad that the price of that was letting EA put their grubby hands all over their customers bank accounts.

I am not an american, I am Danish. I am just very annoyed about this business practice and can't believe it is legal in Denmark. It certainly isn't necessary to scam people as BioWare has done.

Lawyers/Attourneys from Denmark will not do a single thing about these sort of things. Furthemore, the fault ultimately lies at your side, as I mentioned before.

BioWare is not scamming anyone. What possible reason could they have, to want to scam someone? Money? I honestly doubt that. They made ~ $90 million dollars purely from Pre-orders, in the United States. Almost 60% of what they used on resources to construct the actual game, if I am not mistaken.

I haven't been able to find any sources on how many European Pre-orders that were placed, but I'm guessing it's not on the low-end.

As I mentioned before, and several others before me. Everyone has been entitled 30 days free gameplay. Everyone has been given such promise. BioWare simply requires your creditcard information before-hand, so they can automatically withdraw each billing cycle, starting as of 21st/22nd January, 2012. There is no catch, I simply do not see how people can have such a big problem with this little factor.

Edited by _Strimell

followed indication supplied when i made an account,followed all step and everything worked flawlessly didnt even know this article existed.one hickup i had was when i waited for the ea autorisation for confirmation!make sure active x is desabled or you might have issue!visit other e-mail account you have ,if it is linked like me to live mail(microsoft)it will trigger ms mail service to refresh .this happened to me i had 2 mail because of this silliness ,or be patient.might want to try to log off your mail and log back in after say 10 minute.this is the main issue we get and i think it is because ms mail doesnt refresh when ea send a mail for some reason!aside from this everything else went flawless!

followed indication supplied when i made an account,followed all step and everything worked flawlessly didnt even know this article existed.one hickup i had was when i waited for the ea autorisation for confirmation!make sure active x is desabled or you might have issue!visit other e-mail account you have ,if it is linked like me to live mail(microsoft)it will trigger ms mail service to refresh .this happened to me i had 2 mail because of this silliness ,or be patient.might want to try to log off your mail and log back in after say 10 minute.this is the main issue we get and i think it is because ms mail doesnt refresh when ea send a mail for some reason!aside from this everything else went flawless!

Hotmail does seem to have a slight delay, tried it before, then I switched.

Nothing that serious though. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. :)

Wrong. Other games DO do it.

If they didn't allow time card then those of you without credit cards wouldn't be able to play at all so I still don't see what the fuss is about.

The timing of this is quite interesting- once Bioware saw the massive queues, they decided, "hey lets get the ones who can pay up more to enter the queue first by making everyone have to sign up for a subscription and give us their cc info". BTW I have a job and i have no problem paying up, but having to enter a cc to log in within the first 30 days after a paid month from buying the game is NOT normal protocol. No other games do that, including wow, which I've played forever.

Edited by wangtheory

The timing of this is quite interesting- once Bioware saw the massive queues, they decided, "hey lets get the ones who can pay up more to enter the queue first by making everyone have to sign up for a subscription and give us their cc info". BTW I have a job and i have no problem paying up, but having to enter a cc to log in within the first 30 days after a paid month from buying the game is NOT normal protocol. No other games do that, including wow, which I've played forever.

This is the most hilarious thing yet. This information has been out for months. It's not something they just decided to do.

If you don't think that WoW or other games does it you're delusional.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/account-creation-faq

Subscriptions do require that some form of payment information (such as a credit card) be entered before the account can be activated. At this time there is no way around this. This is required in case account play extends over 30 days, so that gameplay will not be disrupted. It also prevents customers from creating "throwaway" accounts to harass others.

Of course, please keep in mind that you are not billed for the first month of the game. Thus, if you want to set up your account immediately, you can use a credit card. Then you can easily change your payment method at any time during your free month, before your paid subscription starts.

Maybe its been too long then since I've had to deal with starting a new MMO

I didn't play Vanilla WoW but pretty sure it was in then too. I know it was during BC. People have said that it was required during UO. Dragonrealms, a subscription based MUD requires you to do it even for your free month and has since 1998 when they moved from AOL to the web. It's really not a new thing that Bioware invented to screw people. I'm not sure why people think it is.

This is the most hilarious thing yet. This information has been out for months. It's not something they just decided to do.

If you don't think that WoW or other games does it you're delusional.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/account-creation-faq

Just because some other company does it does not make it right. It is a shady, shltty business practice that counts on the fact you MAY forget to remove your CC info when you decide to cancel.

I remember getting an Age of Conan free trial mail and When i decided to try it out again they had it set up so I had to enter a CC. Needless to say I did not bother with the trial.

It is just another reason I have a bad taste in my mouth when dealing with these gaming companies. Good thing this has a Star Wars skin otherwise I would NEVER give my money to EA.

Just because some other company does it does not make it right. It is a shady, shltty business practice that counts on the fact you MAY forget to remove your CC info when you decide to cancel.

I remember getting an Age of Conan free trial mail and When i decided to try it out again they had it set up so I had to enter a CC. Needless to say I did not bother with the trial.

It is just another reason I have a bad taste in my mouth when dealing with these gaming companies. Good thing this has a Star Wars skin otherwise I would NEVER give my money to EA.

If you cancel your subscription then they won't charge you. Yes if you just stop playing and don't cancel then they'll keep charging you but this is a subscription business and it's much easier just to automatically charge you than to have to enter in a code every time. For those that don't want to be automatically charged there are game cards. We're going around in circles here. It's normal, if you don't like it then don't buy MMOs anymore and/or read the box and FAQs more carefully if you do.

I hate to keep rehashing what has all ready been said but the simple fact is 30 days of game time comes with the game. I can undertand that at the end of that 30 days then you must enter a credit card or a game card but no where does it say you must do this to recieve your FREE game time. I have played FF11, WOW, Guild Wars, Star Trek Online and Eve Online. Not ONCE have I been forced to enter a credit card just to recieve my FREE game time. And in point of fact I had quit WOW and EVE for over a year and they both sent me 7 days of free game time to come back to the game. I did so. (I still havn't entered my credit card). So to claim that all MMO's required you to enter a credit card to recieve your FREE game time is just plain WRONG Edited by rankosaotome

This is a BS strat & everyone should worry. I do not think that any company should make you setup payable accts in your grace ( 30 day window ). $15 is nothing, but I am more worried about my personal information that they have now. How many gaming comapnies have now had their accts compromised now. If you are given a 30 day window to see if you like their product & you have a good product --> you would make it truly free. Account security questions I dont have a problem with its only the

financial information demands that concern me. This tactic only benefits the company & not the customer & needs to be stopped. I am a vet mmo player & this really pisses me off, so pretty much I am 30 days & done.

I hate to keep rehashing what has all ready been said but the simple fact is 30 days of game time comes with the game. I can undertand that at the end of that 30 days then you must enter a credit card or a game card but no where does it say you must do this to recieve your FREE game time. I have played FF11, WOW, Guild Wars, Star Trek Online and Eve Online. Not ONCE have I been forced to enter a credit card just to recieve my FREE game time. And in point of fact I had quit WOW and EVE for over a year and they both sent me 7 days of free game time to come back to the game. I did so. (I still havn't entered my credit card). So to claim that all MMO's required you to enter a credit card to recieve your FREE game time is just plain WRONG

I hate to keep rehashing this but it DOES say that you must do this to play. Not to receive your free time but to play. I'm not sure about those other games but I've quoted the Battle.net page where it says that you do indeed need to have a valid credit card or game time card to get the 30 free days for WoW.

While I do find having to enter my credit card into an 'active subscription' to be both dishonest business practice and borderline illegal (probably hidden somewhere in the EULA) - as it was promised to come WITH my purchase of the game and NOT a subscription (I don't see ANYWHERE it has said otherwise previously). My only question is this:

Do my free 30 days come the day I've subscribed? Or did they begin on December 22nd at 3:01 a.m. CST, when players were required to establish an "active subscription"?

Because if it's the latter, that is most certainly, and absolutely 100 million percent illegal.

Let's hypothetically say that I'm in the military and am on active deployment. When I return home to set up a subscription and first enter SW:TOR - I'm entitled to those 30 days in their entirety for making the purchase. Period. THAT was promised.

If this invisible clock of 30 free days has been ticking since the 22nd, I feel a lot of people have grounds to pursue a consumer lawsuit.

I paid my subscription today, but I want to know that I have my free 30 days from TODAY - not the 22nd.

Edited by pasparragus

While I do find having to enter my credit card into an 'active subscription' to be both dishonest business practice and borderline illegal (probably hidden somewhere in the EULA) - as it was promised to come WITH my purchase of the game and NOT a subscription (I don't see ANYWHERE it has said otherwise previously). My only question is this:

Do my free 30 days come the day I've subscribed? Or did they begin on December 22nd at 3:01 a.m. CST, when players were required to establish an "active subscription"?

Because if it's the latter, that is most certainly, and absolutely 100 million percent illegal.

Let's hypothetically say that I'm in the military and am on active deployment. When I return home to set up a subscription and first enter SW:TOR - I'm entitled to those 30 days in their entirety for making the purchase. Period. THAT was promised.

If this invisible clock of 30 free days has been ticking since the 22nd, I feel a lot of people have grounds to pursue a consumer lawsuit.

I paid my subscription today, but I want to know that I have my free 30 days from TODAY - not the 22nd.

It should be from when you entered your code. If you balked for days at entering your credit card info even though it says on the box that you need to have a valid credit card to play then you might have less than 30 days to play. If I went to the store today and bought it though and came home and set up everything then I'd have 30 days from today.

I hate to keep rehashing this but it DOES say that you must do this to play. Not to receive your free time but to play. I'm not sure about those other games but I've quoted the Battle.net page where it says that you do indeed need to have a valid credit card or game time card to get the 30 free days for WoW.

You keep saying this, but you fail at comprehension. Stop being a Bioware apologist and start thinking.

At no point should a person be required to give up credit card information in order to get the free game time that comes with the game. It simply isn't necessary. The fact that people who got early access started getting their free game time charged on the 20th even if they couldn't log in to play the game because of queues and then were denied the ability to play after the 23rd without giving up personal financial information is not only bad customer service, it is a "requirement" that makes the so called "free" game time a flat out lie.

If you can't just buy the box and play the game, then don't hide that fact in the small print.

This seems like nothing more than a tactic designed to pad the metrics so that Bioware can say they have all these subscriptions on the first month, even though some of those "subscriptions" aren't going to be around next month.

This decision is one of those "corporate policies" that does little more than tick people off because it simply isn't necessary.