2.4 Resolve CC changes

Rhyn

With 2.4 coming what changes would you like to see? I know there are some people think it is fine and TBH if I play a ranged class I think it is ok. However, as a melee class I think there are changes that are needed.

My thoughts and wishes:

1) I would like the resolve to revert back to pre 1.4. The over lapping stuns are what I think bothers most people. The system, IMO, currently rewards players who use their stuns recklessly and carelessly. Adjust it back to pre 1.4 and that would help so much.

2) You should not be able to be rooted if you have full resolve and it is ticking down. Do not have roots or stuns add to resolve but effected by it. Regardless of the semantics you want to play it is a cc and an ability that another player has to control you. Doesn’t matter how good you claim to be if you are stunned to full resolve and hit your CC when you are supposed to you are rewarded by a root that is F’d up period.

3) If you die with full resolve it will not tick until you either enter combat or 20 seconds has passed from the time you leave the rez site.

4) CC break from what I have seen is 1.5-2 min CD which I think is fine, it does not reset on death which I think is good, however, there is one change I would like to see added to the ability. “Using your CC break ability immediately fills your resolve making you immune to all movement impairing while it ticks down.”

IMO it would make CC play a strategic role in PvP, reward players use their CC ability correctly, and cost players who use their abilities foolishly. Personally I do not want the game to be dumbed down anymore than it is. The current resolve set up does just that rewards the lower caliber players and frustrates many others.

I agree with your post. The only other alternative is a root cleanse that is potentially attached to an ability like Focused Defense. I do think roots should respect resolve regardless, because for a melee class a root is basically a stun/mezz.

Thanks. Do you mean by highlighted section that a root should add to resolve? If it did add to resolve then we would run into the problem of resolve building way to fast IMO.

1) In many ways I would agree with this, but in many ways I disagree with this. Honestly, the PvP community in this game is pretty bad and changing this back will cause far too many problems for less skilled players with everyone running around at full resolve all the time. I would definitely support doing this in rated, however, where coordination should be much higher.

2) Roots can't be part of resolve because there are too many classes that rely on them.

3) I could support this

4) I think this change would be the opposite of what you are intending. If I understand correctly, you basically go CC immune for popping your breaker no matter what. Which now rewards people for using their cc breaker incorrectly. It also means stopping caps will be easier, because all of the noobs who pop breaker during the first stun are now rewarded by being able to stop the cap and not be CC'd again until resolve ticks off.

The thing about roots respecting resolve is that it would work great for rated and coordinated team play.

But then you have PUGs.

I can see it now: pugs throwing CCs everywhere, whitebarring a Combat Sentinel / Carnage Marauder and then complaining when said unrootable, unCCable sent / marauder rips their healers a new one. Now, since I play both of these classes, I would love said change but still, it would be a major case of complaints on the forum.

But I do agree there needs to a balancing act because it is cruel for melee to pop their CC breaker only to get rooted (this is much less of an issue for ranged DPS, but this does also affect healers as well).

A possible solution, as someone suggested above me, is to have talents somewhere along the line to give root cleansing to another, already inplace ability. For example, the GS dirty fighting tree has a talent where using surrender cleanses all roots. I think this could be a good change of pace. Because it wouldn't end with unrootable sentinels mauling healers due to stupid usage of CC. These talents could be given to the melee DPS that need them most (guardians, juggs, watchman sents, annhilation maras, pyros + vanguards perhaps).

To the rest of the OP, I agree with reverting resolve back to 1.4 days. Much better, as it rewards good play and punishes poor play. As all game mechanics should.

I don't agree with having your CC breaker give you complete CC immunity if you're already white barred. As someone above said, this rewards poor play. I couldn't have said it better myself. And about the root immunity from the white bar, I addressed that already above.

I do agree with the OP, there needs to be some changes with resolve. But we need to be careful as a community because last time resolve was changed it just got worse XD

Edited by SilverMagnum

I could get behind #1, though I don't believe it would go over well with a lot of players and therefore BioWARE will probably not do it. A change like that would hurt players who don't pay as much attention (the more casual type of player who isn't as hard core as people who pay closer attention to these kinds of things) and if there is one thing BioWARE has shown us it's that they are moving PvP in a direction to be more casual friendly (see bolster). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I fear they won't do that.

As for roots, some classes are very dependent on roots, such as snipers and slingers, to remove their ability to root you would be severely detrimental to the class and cause them to get owned by shadows/assassins and sentinels/marauders. I think this is something that is in a good place.

As for your CC breaker filling resolve, I'd give a strong no to that one. Imagine a scoundrel/operative popping their CC break after grabbing the hutball and proceeding to roll all but unhindered to the goal line, that drives me crazy enough as is :p. The CC breaker is an effective tool when used properly. If you use it before you have full resolve you'd better make sure the reward is worth the risk of eating a 4 second hard stun immedeatly following the break, or having to eat a 8 second soft stun later. It's a mechanic that punishes poor use. Surprising that it's still around (see BioWARE moving towards a more casual friendly style of PvP above) but nice to see a mechanic that is effective when used well and punishing when not, in other words it takes some skill to use effectively.

I think overall resolve is in a good place at this point. I don't have any issues with it even on my assassin, who is quite squishy. I'd say keep it where it is now.

As for your CC breaker filling resolve, I'd give a strong no to that one. Imagine a scoundrel/operative popping their CC break after grabbing the hutball and proceeding to roll all but unhindered to the goal line, that drives me crazy enough as is :p

I cannot believe I didn't think of this as an example for why your breaker shouldn't fill resolve! THIS THIS THIS!

As for your CC breaker filling resolve, I'd give a strong no to that one. Imagine a scoundrel/operative popping their CC break after grabbing the hutball and proceeding to roll all but unhindered to the goal line, that drives me crazy enough as is :p. .QUOTE]

Great point. I didn't look at that way and you guys are right it would be bad. Maybe the idea that was expressed about a root cleanse might be the way to go if it came with a cooldown.

I know there are a lot of classes that rely on roots and snares and they should be effective however, if you look at it as melee there is nothing you can do period but take it and I think that is a design issue IMO. I do not think they should escape 100% of the time but a link cleanse ability when used correctly could be effective but incorrectly cost you.

Electro-Net should be affected by resolve. It is over powering against the DPS Scoundrel. A 9 second heavy damaging snare that prevents stealth-exiting on a class that relies heavily on mobility and stealth for defense is game breaking; the most extreme hard counter in the game. Edited by Gren-Aluren

Great point. I didn't look at that way and you guys are right it would be bad. Maybe the idea that was expressed about a root cleanse might be the way to go if it came with a cooldown.

I know there are a lot of classes that rely on roots and snares and they should be effective however, if you look at it as melee there is nothing you can do period but take it and I think that is a design issue IMO. I do not think they should escape 100% of the time but a link cleanse ability when used correctly could be effective but incorrectly cost you.

I could see that. Maybe give some specs an ability in their talent tree that can break roots or snares. Give it a decent cool down so it's not being popped all the time, but so that in a key moment you can break a snare, or get immunity to snares for a short duration.

Since people are afraid melee classes will rip apart root reliant classes with root immunity, how about a long cooldown ability that converts a root into a slow? That way the ranged class still has time to escape, but the melee doesn't have to stand in place getting ripped apart.

3) If you die with full resolve it will not tick until you either enter combat or 20 seconds has passed from the time you leave the rez site.

This is the only suggestion that has any merit. The promise of the whitebar is that you can't be stunned for a period of time after it appears. Watching your whitebar tick away as you wait for the respawn door to open (or as you fly down on the speeder) breaks this promise.

I really hope BW has put this thread on ignore because it is full of stupid other than the above. The only good suggestion has been mentioned a dozen times before so they should already know about it.

reward players use their CC ability correctly, and cost players who use their abilities foolishly. .

The current system already does this. Nearly all versions of resolve have done this. The only question is "how much do we punish bad play?". The ultimate punishment would be for incorrect use of stuns resulting in your computer hardware being damaged -- e.g. melt the CPU or graphics card. Or you could just make windows crash when ever CC (or CC-break) is used in correctly.

The current system already does this. Nearly all versions of resolve have done this. The only question is "how much do we punish bad play?". The ultimate punishment would be for incorrect use of stuns resulting in your computer hardware being damaged -- e.g. melt the CPU or graphics card. Or you could just make windows crash when ever CC (or CC-break) is used in correctly.

A severe punishment more palatable to BW might be for every incorrect use of cc/cc-break to auto-purchase 450 cartel coins. That would instantly make SWTOR the most profitable game ever. Until everyone unsubbed.

Electro-Net should be affected by resolve. It is over powering against the DPS Scoundrel. A 9 second heavy damaging snare that prevents stealth-exiting on a class that relies heavily on mobility and stealth for defense is game breaking; the most extreme hard counter in the game.

Every class has a hard counter.

2) You should not be able to be rooted if you have full resolve and it is ticking down. Do not have roots or stuns add to resolve but effected by it. Regardless of the semantics you want to play it is a cc and an ability that another player has to control you. Doesn’t matter how good you claim to be if you are stunned to full resolve and hit your CC when you are supposed to you are rewarded by a root that is F’d up period.

I would agree with you here prior to 2.0. and frankly, I wish they just did what you suggest. however, BW did fix this. they gave every class a root breaker that's independent of their regular breaker (shroud, sprint, dodge, diversion, cleanse, hold the line, etc. all break roots and sometimes snares).

Edited by foxmob

Electro-Net should be affected by resolve. It is over powering against the DPS Scoundrel. A 9 second heavy damaging snare that prevents stealth-exiting on a class that relies heavily on mobility and stealth for defense is game breaking; the most extreme hard counter in the game.

no. net is fine. it's the only way to prevent combat stealthing and barriers. aspecs of it can be cleansed/broken (cc breaker). aspects of it can be avoided (i.e., stop moving, fool!). I find that popping reactive shield negates the dmg effect of moving while netted...for my purposes anyway. I do, however, empathize with you as a scrapper dps. I feel very very fragile and need to be in 4m. but since every ops has at least one sniper in it, the chances of being caught even in stealth are pretty good. that's why you were given roll w/o cd, imo.

This is the only suggestion that has any merit. The promise of the whitebar is that you can't be stunned for a period of time after it appears. Watching your whitebar tick away as you wait for the respawn door to open (or as you fly down on the speeder) breaks this promise.

I really hope BW has put this thread on ignore because it is full of stupid other than the above. The only good suggestion has been mentioned a dozen times before so they should already know about it.

Nearly all versions of resolve have done this. The only question is "how much do we punish bad play?". The ultimate punishment would be for incorrect use of stuns resulting in your computer hardware being damaged -- e.g. melt the CPU or graphics card. Or you could just make windows crash when ever CC (or CC-break) is used in correctly.

Ok I'm glad you like #3 but I do not appreciate being called stupid. This is suppose to be a constructive thread so keep it that way.

So you are fine with melee using their CC correctly then being rooted and beat to @#$%. You think that a link root cleanse with a CD is stupid huh? Why don't you explain why you feel this way. Also you think that the overlapping stuns is ok. That the amount of time you can stunned because of the overlap is ok. If this is how you feel great. I disagree with you along with a lot of others yet it can be said in a constructive way without being rude.

As for players being punished they are not. Currently they are being rewarding for using their CC foolishly so how does that make sense?

Edited by Rhyn

Thanks for the tip, rolling my merc now

So you are fine with melee using their CC correctly then being rooted and beat to @#$%.

Yes. If you can't win a 1v1 then you deserve to die. If you are fighing 1vN (N >= 2) then you are suppose to die. Why are you being focused 3 against just you?

You can :

• use force speed (heal spec)
  • use phase walk
  • use hold the line
  • use sniper roll
  • be a healing operative
  • have a pocket healer (preferrably an operative)
  • a teammate can CC, root and slow your attacker (it is called "peeling")
  • a teammate can taunt the attacker and guard you

you are suppose to die in WZ, that is why there is a respawn area. The best players in the game (I'm not in this category) don't have problems with the resolve mechanic and roots. They understand how it works and they act accordingly.

As for players being punished they are not. Currently they are being rewarding for using their CC foolishly so how does that make sense?

example please. You imply that there is no skill in using CC and CC break in 2.x and that is simply not true.

What does "being rewarded for using CC foolishly" even mean? If they are being rewarded then it isn't a foolish use. Perhaps you mean there is no scope for skillful use of CC but that is obviously false.

It is nothing personal -- I don't think you are a bad person or that you should quit the game but

Edited by funkiestj

Thanks for the tip, rolling my merc now

The true measure of how strong / weak a class is how many of them do good rated WZ teams bring.

Strong rated teams often run without commando / mercs but 3 operatives are all the rage.

Before 2.0 and electronet commando / mercs were not invited to serious RWZ matches.

You should definitely roll one of each of the 8 ACs if you want to get better. 1 week of playing a comparatively unfamiliar AC at level 55 will teach you a lot about how to counter that AC.

Quote:

example please. You imply that there is no skill in using CC and CC break in 2.x and that is simply not true. Prior to 1.4 if you hit a player with a stun and while he was stunned I hit him with my stun, my stun would do nothing but I would have to wait for my CD to finish. IMO this is an example of penalizing me for wasting my stun. When 1.4 hits and in the same scenario my stun over laps yours for an additional 2 sec. In essence rewarding the player for using his stun foolishly

What does "being rewarded for using CC foolishly" even mean? If they are being rewarded then it isn't a foolish use. Perhaps you mean there is no scope for skillful use of CC but that is obviously false. Never said there wasn't skill in it saying the current system rewards weak players as does a lot of this game.

It is nothing personal -- I don't think you are a bad person or that you should quit the game but

But what? That sounds like you are implying something. Guess what not everyone agrees with you and your opinion isn’t necessarily right nor is mine. So I guess we will agree to disagree.

The only result that will come of this is simply an "unstoppable" character within a team environment. Since the resolve itself doesn't have any "cool down", it's possible to climb straight back to full resolve after it runs out -- so long as you survive it. Add in some heals, and even cleansing powers used by the more smarter folk, what do you think will happen in a game such as Huttball where the opponents have a very strong tank-heal combination in works?

So, what we get is an effectively "unstoppable" character. There's no means to even hamper him in the slightest.

Woop-dee-too. Not my kind of fun.

There's a reason why the developers made it so that immobs and slows don't effect resolve -- and I agree to that reason.