Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

Tim-ONeil
10.10.2012 , 11:17 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by bravotwentysev View Post
Not knocking this app/feature an such but all these people with SSD drives doing this why didnt you invest is more memory instead or a 64bit OS?

Plus you know this will degrade you SSD drive faster.
Are you serious? This is a terribly misinformed post.

If you have this game installed on an SSD the hit the SSD takes from reading/writing is pretty insane with SWTOR. Check it out sometime if you don't believe me.

Moving everything to your RAM and making it a RAM drive will net you performance up to 5x faster than the fastest SSD in terms of loading AND extend the life of your SSD since you are reducing the number of reads/writes on it.

I have 12GB of RAM, I load the cache file, all of the dynamic and fx assets, vehicle assets, gfx assets, and if I'm leveling an alt for the day the specific planet files I'll be on.

Is this going to give you 1000% more FPS? Certainly not. What it will do is reduce your loading times depending on what files you load and increase your min FPS in situations where the game is waiting for files to load.

This means that when I go to the fleet bank people load instantly, there's no hiccup because the game is searching for the files. It's noticeable if you are that observant.

Claiming that a RAM drive will kill your SSD faster is pure ignorance.
Rhèy Phin
Kýló Nemonica
The Ren Legacy Server: Ebon Hawk US/EAST

exca
10.10.2012 , 01:00 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by deadandburied View Post
Tried that and 50 other things and performance decreased. I'll stick with my settings thank you. This is a gaming rig so i already have a selective start. Meaning i already have quite a few unneeded proccesses removed. I don't use firefox as it's a ram hog. Nor do i have other needless stuff running in the background. Now why would i want the 2 swtor.exe files running off of a disk instead of my memory? Leaving virtual memory on would defeat the whole intent of unleashed.
I think you might not understand all that's happening.
It's easy to understand why you get lower perf with dynamic "checked" too if you don't have enough free ram.
2.5GB for Windows + background softwares
2.5GB for SWTOR
it leaves you 8 - (2.5+2.5) = 3GB max for SWTOR Unleashed
since dynamic+fx+local+arena = 4.4GB which is > to 3GB it'll make you swap. If you disabled Windows swap => it'll make you crash. Only workaround to this to try unleashed "normally" with dynamic too is to lower your "windows + background softwares" memory usage from 2.5GB to 1GB. Which will give you : 8 - (1 + 2.5) = 4.5GB available for SWTOR Unleashed. Since you need 4.4GB for dynamic, you'll be then able to test it without slowdowns and without swap or crashes.
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis
Dev de : SWTOR Unleashed (FR) - augmente la fluidité de SWTOR
Dev of : SWTOR Unleashed (US) - raises SWTOR fluidity

exca
10.10.2012 , 01:01 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuuu View Post
So this is all being done in my ram and its not take space from my SSD or HDD in anyway with that partion?
Correct.
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis

exca
10.10.2012 , 01:03 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by NinjaApacHe View Post
I do not know what mistakes I'm doing, but it's not working for me.
Without much more info from you, I can't help :/

well i gave this a try, after it crashing to desktop a few times I got it work, so very lil change in performance, which wasnt enough to warrant using a ram disk.
SWTOR Unleashed crashed? Curious. If you can tell me more or show us the log file I might help. Little change in performance is strange. If you wish you can describe more your test scenario.

exca
10.10.2012 , 01:06 PM | #125
By the way, thanks Tim for saving me a few more replies High 5!

TUXs
10.10.2012 , 01:30 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by exca View Post
By the way, thanks Tim for saving me a few more replies High 5!
Thank YOU for this!!! I use it daily and I can't imagine running the game without it. Simply amazing work...we're lucky to have guys like you playing our game.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Kyuuu
10.10.2012 , 04:39 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by exca View Post
Without much more info from you, I can't help :/

SWTOR Unleashed crashed? Curious. If you can tell me more or show us the log file I might help. Little change in performance is strange. If you wish you can describe more your test scenario.

I have 6gbs ram, I also have Pagefile disabled. Game didnt actual crash more like just locked when I tried using the 4 gb setup, It only worked with Diskcachearnea and local app. I didnt see any noticeable increase in my min fps to warrant using the program. i still had the same min fps tank i have had since 1.4 maybe 2 or 3 extra to my min which wasnt worth it in my mind. the stutter when things are poping up on screen was reduced yes. but i didnt care about that. my issue is with my tanked min fps since 1.4

I tested this by going in to wz where I been getting min frame rates as low as 20's since 1.4. and my max was no different either i always got max around 105 fps on high settings no bloom no shadows

Im sure the program helps people, as that is nature of ramdisk setups, but in my eyes the consumer should not have to jump threw hoops to fix a problem this is with the game engine it self. To me this is like telling a person to up the voltage on there gpu to fix the TDR problems nvidia cards had. when the bought the card and it had the issue to being with.

demonolithic
10.10.2012 , 05:26 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by bravotwentysev View Post
Not knocking this app/feature an such but all these people with SSD drives doing this why didnt you invest is more memory instead or a 64bit OS?

Plus you know this will degrade you SSD drive faster.
Not knocking you personally but people need to know what they are talking about before making a post showing they have no idea.
.. let me start by saying nothing...
Cochise
The Shadowlands

exca
10.10.2012 , 05:49 PM | #129
I have 6gbs ram, I also have Pagefile disabled. Game didnt actual crash more like just locked when I tried using the 4 gb setup, It only worked with Diskcachearnea and local app. I didnt see any noticeable increase in my min fps to warrant using the program. i still had the same min fps tank i have had since 1.4 maybe 2 or 3 extra to my min which wasnt worth it in my mind. the stutter when things are poping up on screen was reduced yes. but i didnt care about that. my issue is with my tanked min fps since 1.4

I tested this by going in to wz where I been getting min frame rates as low as 20's since 1.4. and my max was no different either i always got max around 105 fps on high settings no bloom no shadows

Im sure the program helps people, as that is nature of ramdisk setups, but in my eyes the consumer should not have to jump threw hoops to fix a problem this is with the game engine it self. To me this is like telling a person to up the voltage on there gpu to fix the TDR problems nvidia cards had. when the bought the card and it had the issue to being with.
Disabling pagefile is a bad idea as I tried to explain earlier. It'll rarely help you out and create more issues instead.
Also if you mean by "4GB setup" that your RAM drive is 4GB big... no wonder you don't get performance raise. You'll most likely kill your performances instead. With 6GB RAM you must save 3 to 3.5GB minimum for windows, apps and swtor. Which leaves you a maximum of 2.5 to 3GB for SWTOR Unleashed. If you use a bigger ramdrive, you'll just lower your performances instead of raising them. It's all explained in the main post. By the way, if you want a mostly total perf increase, you should get 8GB of ram to put there local+arena+fx+dynamic.
Again, SWTOR Unleashed is made for people with loads of RAM to workaround BioWare 32 bits executable limitations.
Regards

Kyuuu
10.10.2012 , 06:21 PM | #130
pagefile isnt going on so that debate about it cause more problems then help wont work, an no i tried the 1.5gb ramdisk setup when i said i saw no difference